ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #15181
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
wellll......

....ITS RIDING!





on my test ride (wife on standby with keys to my car w/ the rack in case something broke), I not only rode down the gnarly little hill I live on, I rode back up the 300' of vertical in 0.7 miles. the middle 1/3 wasn't as steep as either end, so I was +2 from my lowest gear. those plastic pedals are strictly temporary til I figure out what I want.


so....

50-34T compact double. on a 7 speed 13-28 rear freewheel. Using the 34 small chainring, the chain is scraping the back of the big 50 ring in any but the 3 lowest gears. It handles 50:28 just fine, but in my current riding condition thats a pretty tall low gear.

this 50-34 has 10s spacing. can I get spacers to move the small ring farther away from the large? its a 110m BCD 5-bolt. I'm using friction shifters anyways, so theres no incremental at play here.


I guess that will work.

40c tires at 70PSI give a pretty good ride on our broken streets. I rode a bit of hard pack trail, too.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

pierce screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 10:27 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #15182
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
wellll......

....ITS RIDING!






so....

50-34T compact double. on a 7 speed 13-28 rear freewheel. Using the 34 small chainring, the chain is scraping the back of the big 50 ring in any but the 3 lowest gears. It handles 50:28 just fine, but in my current riding condition thats a pretty tall low gear.

this 50-34 has 10s spacing. can I get spacers to move the small ring farther away from the large? its a 110m BCD 5-bolt. I'm using friction shifters anyways, so theres no incremental at play here.

otherwise, I guess I have 10 usable gears, 50:(13-28) and 34:(19-28)

or does someone have a non-fancy black road double, ideally with like a 46 or 48 big, and a 30-34 low... wanna trade for this nifty new FSA compact? the FSA is really light. its meant for 9/10 speed skinny chain kind of spacing.

I am going to swap the freewheel for a IRD 13-32 I just got. that will get me down to tricycle gearing.
Nice ride. You could probably remove the seat and use it as a trials bike - a beach trials bike. You could invent a new sport!

Anyway, enjoy it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #15183
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
since I'm using friction shifting, and don't care how much my front shift takes... can I get spacers for the small chainring to move it farther to the left? I wonder how much?

the FSA compact 50-34T is 6mm ring to ring. my old campy 52-42 is 8mm ring to ring spacing. So maybe I should add 2mm spacers?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #15184
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Nice ride. You could probably remove the seat and use it as a trials bike - a beach trials bike. You could invent a new sport!

Anyway, enjoy it!
nah, its got road gearing :)

anyways, I suck at all things wheelie and trials-like. more into moving.



As its now setup, I guess I have 10 usable gears. lets see... with the 13-32 freewheel I haven't installed yet....
  • 50:13 == 3.85:1
  • 50:15 == 3.33:1
  • 50:17 == 2.94:1
  • 50:21 == 2.38:1
  • 50:24 == 2.08:1
  • 50:28 == 1.79:1
  • 50:32 == 1.56:1
  • 34:24 == 1.42:1
  • 34:28 == 1.21:1
  • 34:32 == 1.06:1

the chain doesn't seem to mind the large:large crossup at all.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #15185
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
I want a better seat.

What part of my but should I be sitting on?

Previously I had my seat where I was sitting more on my butt but after a while I guess I bruised my tailbone because it was sore for about a week. I have it now where I sit on that boney area right behind the ballsack. I feels better, but Ive heard that it's bad for blood flow. I also think it needs to be more narrow.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #15186
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I want a better seat.

What part of my but should I be sitting on?

Previously I had my seat where I was sitting more on my butt but after a while I guess I bruised my tailbone because it was sore for about a week. I have it now where I sit on that boney area right behind the ballsack. I feels better, but Ive heard that it's bad for blood flow. I also think it needs to be more narrow.
Sit bones.

The perineum = bad m'kay

S'why there's cutouts in the saddles...

Seats are SO personal that making recommendations are tough. I personally like my Regals. My mtn bike has a WTB SST (K?) on it that's flatter across the top. Don't like Aireones. Miss my Turbomatic saddles, but they don't make em no more.

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #15187
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,850
With the roadbike off to be boxed, we are riding a little this weekend down by the beach.
Figured I'd bolt this old rack on the Rocky,



I sure wish I could find some shorter forks. Even with all the travel cranked out this thing is a real chopper,


While rooting around the garage I found my old bags from college. I used to carry about 60 pounds of books and gear in these and a backpack.
Now I carry that around my middle.

__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #15188
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I want a better seat.

What part of my but should I be sitting on?

Previously I had my seat where I was sitting more on my butt but after a while I guess I bruised my tailbone because it was sore for about a week. I have it now where I sit on that boney area right behind the ballsack. I feels better, but Ive heard that it's bad for blood flow. I also think it needs to be more narrow.
I'm a fan of the Specialized "Body Geometry" seats. The Milano is quite good for comfort/hybrid kinda bikes, used it on my old cruiser and now on my new thing.

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #15189
rajflyboy
Banned
 
rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
wellll......

....ITS RIDING!





on my test ride (wife on standby with keys to my car w/ the rack in case something broke), I not only rode down the gnarly little hill I live on, I rode back up the 300' of vertical in 0.7 miles. the middle 1/3 wasn't as steep as either end, so I was +2 from my lowest gear. those plastic pedals are strictly temporary til I figure out what I want.


so....

50-34T compact double. on a 7 speed 13-28 rear freewheel. Using the 34 small chainring, the chain is scraping the back of the big 50 ring in any but the 3 lowest gears. It handles 50:28 just fine, but in my current riding condition thats a pretty tall low gear.

this 50-34 has 10s spacing. can I get spacers to move the small ring farther away from the large? its a 110m BCD 5-bolt. I'm using friction shifters anyways, so theres no incremental at play here.


I guess that will work.

40c tires at 70PSI give a pretty good ride on our broken streets. I rode a bit of hard pack trail, too.
Not bad for a GIRLS bike! He He He

Just kidding
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #15190
rajflyboy
Banned
 
rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
With the roadbike off to be boxed, we are riding a little this weekend down by the beach.
Figured I'd bolt this old rack on the Rocky,



I sure wish I could find some shorter forks. Even with all the travel cranked out this thing is a real chopper,


While rooting around the garage I found my old bags from college. I used to carry about 60 pounds of books and gear in these and a backpack.
Now I carry that around my middle.

Nice Giraffe style Seat post! How tall are you/



I love my Rocky Mountain Soul (great bike)
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15191
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Nice Giraffe style Seat post! How tall are you/



I love my Rocky Mountain Soul (great bike)
41 inch inseam?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #15192
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I want a better seat.

What part of my but should I be sitting on?

Previously I had my seat where I was sitting more on my butt but after a while I guess I bruised my tailbone because it was sore for about a week. I have it now where I sit on that boney area right behind the ballsack. I feels better, but Ive heard that it's bad for blood flow. I also think it needs to be more narrow.
Ass bones are for sitting.

Soft parts are for suffering.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #15193
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Oddometer: 36,667
ordered a 29'er hard tail. None in any shops in the area in my size. Should be here in a week...

I went cost effective and ordered from Performance Bike...
__________________

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #15194
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
ordered a 29'er hard tail. None in any shops in the area in my size. Should be here in a week...

I went cost effective and ordered from Performance Bike...


niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice


post pics of yer skinny ass riding it when it arrives
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #15195
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
ordered a 29'er hard tail. None in any shops in the area in my size. Should be here in a week...

I went cost effective and ordered from Performance Bike...
I picture you in something more like



Carrying Gwen on the back
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014