ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 516 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #15196
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
my chain broke one of its links, not the master one. Luckily right in the middle of gg park so only a walk to the closest store. If i get one of those mini press tools and a spare link would i be able to remove a broken one and just install a spare ? it's got me thinking about the moto too

I just ordered a universal SRAM chain with a master link for my SS for around 20 bucks from Harris cyclery, snaps on and off easy with a pair of needle nose pliers or thin screwdriver. As long as there's tension, it ain't coming off.

If it's for a derailleur bike go with no master link. you can tap it closed carefully with a large hammer if you don't have a press tool
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #15197
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Depends on the chain.

Shimano chains: you can use their pins and add that link back in. Just DO NOT break the chain on one of those master pins ever.

Sram: if its 10sp, those master links are 1x use and need replacing every time. You don't have to have a special pin/link so as long as you have a relatively new chain, and can find a bit of leftover, AND can figger out the tool, go for it.

Sram everything else: go for it. Get the link and the tool and press away.

Campy: Needs a special tool. WAY spendy

NOW... having said that: if you have an older chain, sticking a new link in may cause issues. Course, if you have issues with that, sticking a new chain on will cause other issues: skipping and you may hafta replace the cassette too. More tools... More $$

Safest bet: another complete chain. Worry about the skipping if/when it happens.

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #15198
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
Fulcrum(?) most likely chinese made, around 80 bucks for the pair wholesale - but I would be willing to bet money Alpha's designers never spent a single minute on that thing trying to "reinvent" a bicycle.
Fulcrum is Campy's answer to people that wanted Campy wheels that were compatible with Shimano drivetrains. That and a lower price point.

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #15199
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Fulcrum is Campy's answer to people that wanted Campy wheels that were compatible with Shimano drivetrains. That and a lower price point.

HTH

M

Is it really that funny?

Like I said with my question mark, I guessed where they're made (not assembled).
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #15200
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
Is it really that funny?

Like I said with my question mark, I guessed where they're made (not assembled).
Actually the little rolly dood came from nowhere. how he got there.

I haven't the foggiest where they're made. Lemme see if one of the shops in Boulder has em and look at the label. I needta get over there anyway.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #15201
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Actually the little rolly dood came from nowhere. how he got there.

I haven't the foggiest where they're made. Lemme see if one of the shops in Boulder has em and look at the label. I needta get over there anyway.

M

all good M, it's strange how we get a little sharp edged when the chips are down huh...

good luck in Boulder man, LBS would be great for you.
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #15202
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
all good M, it's strange how we get a little sharp edged when the chips are down huh...

good luck in Boulder man, LBS would be great for you.
I'm at the age where I'm better in mgt... Too bad most LBSs aren't big enough to have more'n say 'the owner' and a few young mechanics.

Yeah, I've thought about opening my own. Never gotten around to seriously thinking about it tho. LOTS of $$ not much income.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #15203
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
my chain broke one of its links, not the master one. Luckily right in the middle of gg park so only a walk to the closest store. If i get one of those mini press tools and a spare link would i be able to remove a broken one and just install a spare ? it's got me thinking about the moto too
You might be able to score a spare link from a bike shop. Chains are frequently shorten before installation, so they may have those links hanging around. I've not heard of a broken chain before. I would replace the entire chain to ensure it doesn't break again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #15204
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
You might be able to score a spare link from a bike shop. Chains are frequently shorten before installation, so they may have those links hanging around. I've not heard of a broken chain before. I would replace the entire chain to ensure it doesn't break again.
yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #15205
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not
yeah, a chain punch is a good investment if you like to do it yourself.... my home toolkit now includes a crank puller, shimano bb tool, and a chain punch. next on my list is a cassette tool.

do be sure you know how to use the punch before you need it in a pinch!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #15206
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not
Cogs in the back or chainrings in the front?

Chainrings shouldn't be worn nearly as much as the cogs in the back...

Just sayin

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #15207
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, a chain punch is a good investment if you like to do it yourself.... my home toolkit now includes a crank puller, shimano bb tool, and a chain punch. next on my list is a cassette tool.

do be sure you know how to use the punch before you need it in a pinch!
Practice on the old chain. That way you don't fuck up the new one!

DAMHIK how this is important.



Oh, and if yer a mtn biker, make sure you know how to make yer bike a SS before you needta know that.

Again, DAMHIK



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #15208
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Oh, and if yer a mtn biker, make sure you know how to make yer bike a SS before you needta know that.
heh. I rode the cruiser-thing I jsut built around my driveway a bunch as a singlespeed without derailleurs

bummer, on a bike with newer style vertical dropouts, you have to try various gears to find one thats not too loose before you cut the chain, you can't take up a half link of slack in the dropout.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #15209
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not
I'm not familiar with SRAM chains, but the Shimano's use a single use pin. I remember the good ole days when you pushed a pin mostly out and then pushed it back again.

If your chain has stretched then you likely have deformed the teeth on the cogs on the cassette and should be replaced when the chain is replaced or you'll continue to have shifting problems and will likely damage the chain.

The chain checking tool is a good investment to your shop unless you take your bike in frequently. Its a stamped piece of metal that should cost $0.75 or so, but they sell for $6 or $7. If you take your bike to the shop frequently ask them to check it for you.

Does anyone ride with a chain breaker? I don't. I have a cell phone instead.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #15210
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast
 
Oznerol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I'm not familiar with SRAM chains, but the Shimano's use a single use pin. I remember the good ole days when you pushed a pin mostly out and then pushed it back again.

[...]

Does anyone ride with a chain breaker? I don't. I have a cell phone instead.
I carry a compact folding chain breaker. Early on after I rediscovered cycling, I had a rash of broken chains, and discovered that the breaker on my multi-tool sucked.

I haven't had nearly as many chain breakages since I stopped trying to break/reassemble modern chains by pushing a pin mostly out, then back in. But I still carry the chain tool, and a spare power link, and every once in a while find myself needing it. I'm not going to make my girlfriend drive a 2-hour round trip to collect my broken-down ass just to spare an ounce or two from my toolkit.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015