Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #1516
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I've got a Cateye Astrale 8. You can find it for around $30 at places like Performance. They've got it on sale right now, here. It isn't the fanciest or the prettiest or easiest to read, but it works and at that price, it's hard to beat. It's survived both some of the worst weather the PNW has to offer and my clumsiness (including sending it bouncing down the road at 30 mph).
Thanks Knary, that's perfect, and on the way

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #1517
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,104
Lunchtime ride

Waited for the fog to clear and the temps to rise. Went out to buy some Fastack to glue my cross tires on for next weekend's race. That ended too soon, so I went and did the loop that the lunch ride was gonna do backwards.

Tailwind () on the warmup portion of the ride led me to believe my legs felt better'n they did...

Up Willow Springs Rd. Not too long, not too steep, but I was grinding away in my 23t cog by less than halfway. Breath coming in shuddering gasps as I inched my way up this @#$#%^#$^ fucking hill! WHY is it that I can sprint at 35-40, but can't climb a hill to save my life?

Anyway, got almost to the top and see another cyclist in front of me by about 1/4 mi. Kewl. I'll just catch him and we'll ride back to MH together...

Uh nope. Right about then I hit the steepest part of the climb and my legs almost gave out. I looked down at my computer: 7 kph. Almost faster to get off and walk! Couldn't tho. Hadta get to the top. Get to the top.... get to...

THE TOP!! Woot!

Coast, coast, coast. Turn over the big gear slowly in order to get my legs back under me, then downshift to something I can spin.

Got to the intersection at Chesbro Dam and the guy was now double + in front of me. Hmmmm he musta been hauling ass down that hill! Oh well.

Stopped and talked to a guy on a new Ninja 650 that had been riding around VEERRRRYYYYY slowly and stopping lots. Turns out he was adjusting some new bar risers. Nice guy. Doesn't post on the net tho .

One hammer session up a slight rise just to prove that yes, my legs are cooked from Sunday's race. Man does getting old suck hard or what?! Useta be recover with a 60min ride on Monday and go to the track for the Tuesday Nite Races on Tuesday (duh!) LSD Wed, then hard again on Thurs. Now I'm lucky to get one hard day in a week!

Gotta go wash the car...

M
Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #1518
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,653
Only got one good night of riding in this week, with the new job and all. Now I'm feeling like you did Gummee a few weeks back. Right on the verge of being sick.

Hoping I can motivate tomorrow am for a ride before it hits me (looming cold / sick).

Gonna have to start accumulating some cold weather gear too, I've got none.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #1519
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Only got one good night of riding in this week, with the new job and all. Now I'm feeling like you did Gummee a few weeks back. Right on the verge of being sick.

Hoping I can motivate tomorrow am for a ride before it hits me (looming cold / sick).

Gonna have to start accumulating some cold weather gear too, I've got none.

I've had some crud creep down on me myself.I haven't been on the bike in over a week and it's fucking with my mojo.
The weather has been stone fuckin' perfect too....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #1520
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
I've had some crud creep down on me myself.I haven't been on the bike in over a week and it's fucking with my mojo.
The weather has been stone fuckin' perfect too....
Yup, GF got hit with it yesterday, she's walking around like a zombie bitch on acid.

I'm waitin for the other shoe to drop. Sucks can't afford to be callin in sick either with this new gig. They're super strict.

Weather's great here too.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #1521
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Yup, GF got hit with it yesterday, she's walking around like a zombie bitch on acid.

I'm waitin for the other shoe to drop. Sucks can't afford to be callin in sick either with this new gig. They're super strict.

Weather's great here too.

Send her over here to recover.....We can sleep all day and play hide the chicken soup.....

Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #1522
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Send her over here to recover.....We can sleep all day and play hide the chicken soup.....

Should she pack the Klein for ya too>?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #1523
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Should she pack the Klein for ya too>?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #1524
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

So it seems I found a little more information on brands and where they're made, etc. (if you weren't following this thread there was some debate on exactly where some brands manufacture their top models).

I was under the assumption that all Cannondale's CF bikes were made in china, but their high end AL bikes were made here.

Well I was told by someone in the industry who visited the factory and watched them being built, that the Cannondale CF System Six is made here, in Pennsylvania to be exact. So is the Six 13.
(BTW this someone is another ADVrider member)

Guess it don't amount to a hill of beans, but it came up awhile ago so.

It's pouring here, when it clears I'm hitting the Basso again. The triple shifter with the double crank and derailleur isn't working out well, no matter how many times I've tuned it. Chain comes off on both low and high end if I'm not carefully watching it. Constant "skuff, skuff, skuff"..

Zodiac screwed with this post 10-01-2006 at 01:22 PM
Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #1525
card
?

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout

How would I select size on the Alias? How long did it seem to take to break in?
Specialized has a pad you sit on that shows the indentions of your hip bones. They measure the distance and pick the saddle that fits your ass. Break in??------I really didn't find a period of time when the saddle was NOT comfortable on rides less than 4 hours. Over four hours, I start squirming around some, but not bad.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #1526
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 735
I just spent a week in Italy. I was stationed in Vicenza in the early 90's and have wanted to go back for years. Finally took the time and did it! No wonder it is such a great country, everyone rides a bicycle! Didn't get to ride unless you count my friends mtb following his son to school one morning. I did ride his Guzzi through the Dolomites, I'll put that in ride reports later. Anyway, some bike pics:

A Bundespost electric assist bike, Mrs TCB in the background. Taken outside the Munich Hauptbahnhof:

Downtown Vicenza:

The center of the known universe:

Damn, I got old quick!

thencamebronson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #1527
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Great pics TCB
Old 10-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #1528
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 34,360
I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that I was gonna get a recumbent tadpole. It's been somewhat of a nightmare, but I finally have it.
Pretty neat little machine but it is the first one my local dealer has sold. I helped him get it going and we made every damn mistake in the book. We cut the cables too short, we didn't properly adjust the derailer. And then we had so much trouble with the disk brakes that I finally just upgraded to some new Avids. Mucho differencio! With 24 gears I can pretty much do everything from climb trees to breaking speed records (as long as it ain't uphill).

So I have had it a couple months now and am getting pretty familiar with how it works. But with every new toy comes a moment or two of complete "oh shit!"

I took it out to the state fair grounds last Tuesday and really gave her hell. Then it bit me right in the ass...........I was rounding a corner in top gear, goin like the wind when the inside front wheel came up a little bit. No big deal, I've had her on two wheels several times. It's kinda fun actually and usually stable as heck that way. But there I was- one wheel up in the air at about 25mph when I realized I was aimed at about a 7 inch curb. I fed in a bit more steering and the inside wheel came up a little more, but I was still headed for that damned curb. Little more steering and now I got that wheel higher than I ever had it before, "damn", here comes the curb. I envisioned a 20 wheel taco'ed beyond belief by said curb and decided just to dump it over. I hit the curb as the bike slid on one wheel hub and the rear rack for about 50 feet. That curb stopped me in less than 6 inches (in other words, the thickness of my ass). I ain't had road rash like this in a good 30 years. Guess I got lucky cause I only got it on my right palm and forearm. Just a light skinnin of my ankle. I was riding in shorts, tee shirt, and my bike helmet. The helmet ain't got a scratch.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #1529
card
?

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson

Damn, I got old quick!

Looks like you married up also!

card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #1530
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?