Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #15752
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
any o' you clowns run your dawg from a bike?

I've been meaning to try this for awhile, so finally did just now, took our 3 yr old yellow lab out with my hybrid, easy mile there, mile back on a flat level straight line paved levee trail thats not very busy (2 other bikes, 2 walkers, one with his dog, the whole way). she did pretty good, kept wanting to go faster, was literally pulling me along with her at a brisk trot. last 1/2 mile I let her stretch out and run, and geezus, she can cover some ground, I bet she was sustaining 20mph.

I had her on an 'easy walker', which is a sort of harness that pinches her shoulders together if she pulls on the leash too hard, its really effective at keeping her from yanking you off your feet when you're walking her... ... I let it out about as far as it could go before we started, so the pinch effect was minimized, just enough to remind her to stay cool.

I figure if we do this 2-3 times a week, she'll get in pretty good shape... we'll work up to a 6-8 mile loop... she's been getting awfully lazy since our older dog died a couple months back, they used to run and run through the redwood forest behind my house.
If the dog wants to pull, get her a sledding harness and let her pull from the front. My dogs absolutely love it. I pedal a bit in order to ensure we can cover a reasonable distance. More to the point, you've got to get her off the easy walker if you are going to do it regularly. You'll injure her if you let her run on it.

Harnesses available from here - and they are very affordable - less than $30 for custom made. Get a proper gangline, too. They have an elasticated section so that accelerations and braking don't transfer instantly down the line - another potential source of injury. Get this one, which comes with a nice loop to attach to the head tube of your bicycle. The harness and that scooter line are all you need.

I don't have any pics with a bike, but I much prefer it to this scooter

cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #15753
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonVT
I blew my rear tube last night 5 miles on my road ride. doh

fixed it and got home, now it's low again, time for a new tube i think
Check the inner wall of tire well for anything unusual at the site of the leak.....small thorns, bits of glass, wire, etc have a way of working themselves in. I'll often only be able to feel it before I see it.

An old (guy's) tip: When you mount a tire (clincher), put the manif. label over the valve stem area. That will give you a starting point of reference for chasing down a puncture, and removal of the offending FB.....also lets you look at the tire (damage) in the place of concern. Too often, guy's will just patch the tube, but not remove the sneaky problem
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #15754
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
I generally lose fittness during the Tour. Spending way too much time watching it, Why, The break gets away, HDC chases them down and Cav wins the sprint. on the flat stages anyway.
I spent $300 on a spinning bike and parked it in front of the TV. If I was watching the tour, I was also pedaling. I really like the spinning bike because it gives the feeling of actually riding a bicycle - more so even than riding my bike on a trainer. Given a choice between rollers and a spinning bike for similar money, I figured the spinning bike was less crash-prone and also actually requires less floorspace.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #15755
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal
Check the inner wall of tire well for anything unusual at the site of the leak.....small thorns, bits of glass, wire, etc have a way of working themselves in. I'll often only be able to feel it before I see it.

An old (guy's) tip: When you mount a tire (clincher), put the manif. label over the valve stem area. That will give you a starting point of reference for chasing down a puncture, and removal of the offending FB.....also lets you look at the tire (damage) in the place of concern. Too often, guy's will just patch the tube, but not remove the sneaky problem
^^^ +1

On my tri bike (thin 23mm), I always sit down with a light and pointy tool to pluck any cinders, glass, etc from them. Some debri is tiny, buried in the rubber, and can't easily be seen; those are the bits that cause the most trouble.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #15756
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,155
My wife headed out on her bicycle for her first solo ride since she was a teenager... she's going to run some errans on the bicycle... havn't heard from her for 45 minutes.. I'm used to going on hours by myself.. somehow this feels strange.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #15757
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,252
I did the Saturday Killer Hills ride this morning. 44 miles of heartrate maxin', air gasping flippin' hills. It still hurts, but I'm getting faster... What a day! Low 80's and low humidity
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #15758
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver
If the dog wants to pull, get her a sledding harness and let her pull from the front. My dogs absolutely love it. I pedal a bit in order to ensure we can cover a reasonable distance. More to the point, you've got to get her off the easy walker if you are going to do it regularly. You'll injure her if you let her run on it.
I want her trotting along side, not runnng head. she's a lab, not a sled dog :)

I had the easywalk totally loose, so effectively it was a harness, and I clipped the leash through both the EW -and- her regular collar to keep the tie point high... but I hear ya.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #15759
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
^^^ +1

On my tri bike (thin 23mm), I always sit down with a light and pointy tool to pluck any cinders, glass, etc from them. Some debri is tiny, buried in the rubber, and can't easily be seen; those are the bits that cause the most trouble.
I always run my fingers all around the inside of the tire, AND the rim before mounting a tire/tube. ditto, I wipe down the tube with my fingers. gets you kinda groady but it washes right off. I've tried it with disposable (nitrile) gloves, and you just don't get the same feel. hint, wash off the black rubber dust and crap before you get greasy, or it -won't- wash off nearly as easily.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #15760
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,023
for dogs

came along an older gent and his medium sized dog as I was pedaling home on our multi use trail with one of these

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkyd...ike-leash.html

seemed to work well. I tried to go by but the dog upped it's pace and started barking. I was to find as the owner explained "she don't like being passed".
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #15761
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
3. You don't get extra points for climbing in as high a gear as you can. Get it in the lowest gear you can, it's a lot easier to climb that way.
4. I LOVE riding in a group

Quote:
I'm not a regrets kind of guy but I really do wish I'd taken up cycling earlier in my life...especially when I lived in Europe
Agree here. On the Europe part, too. I never lived there, but I spent about 3 months in early 2003 hostel-hopping in Spain and Italy, while I was between jobs following the dotcom crash. Ever since I (re)discovered bicycles I've wished that I'd done that trip as a bike tour.

I just got back from a quick 35-mile spin on the road. When the heat wave hit in early July, it knocked me right off the bike. Traveling for work and spending time preparing for a relo to NYC haven't helped, either. But I didn't feel too out of shape this afternoon.

Probably helps that I've been getting out to run at least once a week. To some extent I just need to get my heart rate up a couple of hours a week in order to keep my head on straight, and running lets me do that with minimal overhead.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #15762
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver

Harnesses available from here - and they are very affordable - less than $30 for custom made. Get a proper gangline, too. They have an elasticated section so that accelerations and braking don't transfer instantly down the line - another potential source of injury. Get this one, which comes with a nice loop to attach to the head tube of your bicycle. The harness and that scooter line are all you need.

I don't have any pics with a bike, but I much prefer it to this scooter

This may work for well trained dogs, but when I had a dog he'd suddenly pull to the side if he saw a squirrel, etc. That would probably knock me over.

I think it would hard to control an unruly dog from either a scooter or a bike.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #15763
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Rode another 103 miles, today. Think I'm going to take it easy for the next week or so, as two centuries in 4 days is a bit much. The rearend's starting to feel it. No matter how many miles I ride, Radio Shack still ain't gonna' call.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #15764
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I just started riding. I have a girly bike; a Schwinn Voyageur GS. A great bike for our paved bike trail. Jack rides an old rigid mountain bike and is looking to getting a nice full suspension bike for his knees. With his knee problems, we're slow working up to bigger double digits, but we're riding 3x a week, adding one mile each time.

Our city converted 18 miles of railroad trail into a nice bike trail with rest stops, trees, lights and call boxes. We'll hit the 15 mile mark on Monday.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #15765
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
I just started riding. I have a girly bike; a Schwinn Voyageur GS. A great bike for our paved bike trail. Jack rides an old rigid mountain bike and is looking to getting a nice full suspension bike for his knees. With his knee problems, we're slow working up to bigger double digits, but we're riding 3x a week, adding one mile each time.

Our city converted 18 miles of railroad trail into a nice bike trail with rest stops, trees, lights and call boxes. We'll hit the 15 mile mark on Monday.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: