Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #15781
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
just got back from a 20 mile loop, a night ride. I do love riding at night adds a little flavor. Now I'm scarfing down a couple mango's.
We love riding at night, too! It's really nice and peaceful....

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #15782
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
just got back from a 20 mile loop, a night ride. I do love riding at night adds a little flavor. Now I'm scarfing down a couple mango's.
I ride with a small group that does night rides every now and then. Some of us like to really light our bikes up well. We look like a UFO coming down the street.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #15783
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
I have Schmidt hubs and EDelux lamps. It's always daylight when I ride.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #15784
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
I'm looking at a Specialized Tricross bike as my commuter.

Does anyone have one and if so what do you think about it.

I've been looking at the Roubaix but it seems more fragile and more race but less commute worthy.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #15785
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez

I've been looking at the Roubaix but it seems more fragile and more race but less commute worthy.

cross and race bikes typically don't have mounts for fenders, racks, both of which are a *VERY* good idea for a commuter. you're not going to want to leave your $2000 cross bike chained outside the office.

unless your commute is long distances (say, over 20 miles each way), I'd be looking at a sturdy used "hybrid".... something like...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1878759723.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1878265603.html

I'd look for a bike thats A) your size, B) has 700c wheels with like 32-38c tires, C) skip the suspension forks, and D) is in good operating condition but as ugly as possible. put some decent pedals of your choice on it, replace the seat with a decent 'sport' grade seat ($25-$30 new), install a rack and get some Jandd panniers to carry your work stuff.... many used bikes need new brake and shifter cables, and maybe new grips. that stuff is all dirt cheap and easy to install. oh, a lot of newer 'hybrids' have these stupid spring seat posts. swap that for a $20 Kalloy post of the right diameter and length.

my current 'round town' bike...

[EDIT: replaced picture with current bike configuration. Still awaiting MKS platform pedals and clips]

pierce screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 03:06 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #15786
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
cross and race bikes typically don't have mounts for fenders, racks, both of which are a *VERY* good idea for a commuter. you're not going to want to leave your $2000 cross bike chained outside the office.

*snipped to limit redundancy
Thanks Pierce.

I'm looking used if at all possible.
The route to work includes sections of rough terain (Gravel, bad asphalt and dirt shortcuts).
I have very secure parking here in the shop and at home.
I have a converted mountain bike as my beater, around town, bike.

And last but not least- I'd like the ability to do *longer rides when the mood strikes.

* Longer/further than the mountain bikes can do comfortably.

IOW- I'd still like to hear what others think of their tricross bikes.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #15787
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:

LOVE those bikes (tricross) Stinez. My local dealer has one marked down to a grand. It's tempting but I already have three bikes, so it's hard to justify. I don't know that there is a more versatile bike out there. Spoon on some skinny tires and ride with the roadies, leave it as it is and you can do light trail riding or cross competition, or with the rack mounts it would serve well as a light tourer or commuter. If you research them heavily, you will find occasional menton of some brake induced wallow. That affected few bikes and was eliminated in 08 IIRC.

Get it and post pics!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #15788
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:

Here's mine.

They make excellent commuters; much faster than a hybrid. The Roubaix can only take a 28mm tire, they don't have the eyelet provisions of the Tricross, and are much more delicate.

There are quite a few on eBay, now. If you do a Specialized dealer search, there are plenty of leftovers sitting in dealer inventory at good prices.

To get eyelets, you'll need either the Tricross Sport or Comp. Both have front and rear dropout eyelets. To get the mid-fork eyelets on a Comp, you'll need to get an '09-earlier, as the '10 doesn't have them. But, the Sport models all have them. The Sport is a triple crank, the Comp a 'cross-geared (a bit lower than a road compact) double crank. The Sport has aluminum seatstays and carbon-wrapped aluminum seatpost, the Comp has carbon stays and full-carbon post. Otherwise, the Comp and Sport are nearly identical. The Expert and Pro models don't have eyelets.

I ride the crap out of mine; did two centuries, last week. We're up into the mid-90's, this week, and I'm having some elbow issues from my surgeries, so I'm off the bike this week.

Anyway, I think you'll really enjoy the Tricross, if you get one.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #15789
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Thanks Pierce.

I'm looking used if at all possible.
The route to work includes sections of rough terain (Gravel, bad asphalt and dirt shortcuts).
FWIW, most cross tires will fit most 700c hybrids. I had oversized 700x40 slicks on that crossroads when I took the pictures, those are fatter than most CX tires. I've since switched to normal sized 700x38, which handle hard pack dirt just fine.

hey, this bike looks pretty nice.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1878560325.html

price is a little high, talk him down at least $100 on that
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #15790
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
If you research them heavily, you will find occasional menton of some brake induced wallow. That affected few bikes and was eliminated in 08 IIRC.
Not true. My '09 has a slight shudder. Supposedly, a fork crown-mounted, cable stop will eliminate the shudder. I believe I read that Specialized is going to start shipping the Tricross with this update. Mine doesn't do it bad enough to justify messing with it, yet.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #15791
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Not true. My '09 has a slight shudder. Supposedly, a fork crown-mounted, cable stop will eliminate the shudder. I believe I read that Specialized is going to start shipping the Tricross with this update. Mine doesn't do it bad enough to justify messing with it, yet.
does this bike have cantis or dual pivot or what kind of brakes? fork shudder in rim brakes has been most frequently caused by forks that are too flexible, or a weak or loose headset in my somewhat antiquated experience. or just plain crappy brakes that have too much flex in their arms.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #15792
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
IDNRC.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #15793
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
does this bike have cantis or dual pivot or what kind of brakes? fork shudder in rim brakes has been most frequently caused by forks that are too flexible, or a weak or loose headset in my somewhat antiquated experience. or just plain crappy brakes that have too much flex in their arms.
Common on cantilever brakes. I'll experiment with shorter brake pads, before doing anything.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #15794
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Common on cantilever brakes. I'll experiment with shorter brake pads, before doing anything.
futzing around with some modern style cheap mountain cantis, I discovered if the pads are extended farther from the arms, such that the arms are wider where the cables attach, you get significantly more leverage. otoh, this increases the opportunity for vibration aka squeal.

me, I've become a fan of Shimano V-brakes. Damn things have all kinda stopping power and great modulation.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #15795
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
does anyone wear skivies under their riding shorts and or use powder, just wondering.
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: