Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #15856
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Like I said above: these days, most of the frames are all the same, its just the parts that are different. Colors too, but that's minor.
Well, in Specialized world, at least, there's usually a couple grades of frame for a particular model family. The cheapest versions will share one frame, and the fancier ones will share another, and sometimes the top version (often an S-Works variant) will be a unique frame none of the others share). I'm sure most of the other makers do something similar.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #15857
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez

I have no idea how to go about looking through dealer inventories.
I guess I could call a bunch of shops after doing a search but...
No no no. Go to Specialized site. Put your zip code in the dealer search. That'll pull up all dealers in your area. Most have links to their sites. Just check the sites for "special, clearance, featured items, etc". Also, in the dropdown on the left, there's a tab for "concept stores". Pick that and you'll get all those stores, across the country. Many of them have their entire inventory online, including specials.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #15858
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
No no no. Go to Specialized site. Put your zip code in the dealer search. That'll pull up all dealers in your area. Most have links to their sites. Just check the sites for "special, clearance, featured items, etc". Also, in the dropdown on the left, there's a tab for "concept stores". Pick that and you'll get all those stores, across the country. Many of them have their entire inventory online, including specials.
That'll work!

PS LOTS of the shops I've called since you posted this are getting their 2011 bike in the next week or 2.

And as someone may or may not have mentioned they've split the tricross bikes into the Crux series and the Tricross series.

Something about the 2010 and older Tricross bikes being too much of a compromise for true tricross racing.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #15859
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
That'll work!

PS LOTS of the shops I've called since you posted this are getting their 2011 bike in the next week or 2.

And as someone may or may not have mentioned they've split the tricross bikes into the Crux series and the Tricross series.

Something about the 2010 and older Tricross bikes being too much of a compromise for true tricross racing.
Humph I've been passed by a few of em in races, so that's no excuse.

I'm riding a Gunnar Crosshairs. Talk about all-rounder!

M
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #15860
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Question

I read more than I post in this Bicycle Thread (you are all very, very welcome ). There is much good advice and collective wisdom on all things bicycle here, so I always have to stop in. That brings me to my next question. Coming off a recent fresh upgrade of my mountain bike situation (post #15704: after 14 years and BTW, fun, fun ), I'm contemplating a commuter/touring bike. I have a solid road bike, a newish fixie (er, single-speed w/ brakes) and the new-to-me mtn bike, mentioned above.

In my mind I've rationalized this being the same bike - not two, one for touring, one for commuting. Am I missing something? For commuting, I need to be able to pack work clothes (dress shirt, dress pants, sport coat or suit jacket (on occasion), belt, shoes ,etc.). In other words, the wardrobe for my line of work is 180degrees from casual bike wear . That said, I want to see if I can make this work?

I have the potential (for the first time ever) to have a long-term client within biking distance (less than 10 miles one-way)

Questions:
(1) Wouldn't a good touring bike make a good commuter?
(2) What if I just bought another road-worthy wheel set for my mtn bike and used it to commute?
(3) Along the same lines as "2," what kind of packing system can schlep my monkey suit to/from work - this could potentially make my road bike and/or fixie a commuter?
Have at it, I'm all ears. Especially from you veteran/dedicated bike commuters ...

Green PaleRider

PaleRider screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 03:48 PM
PaleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #15861
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
I did 62 miles yesterday, more than I should have done when I got home my cycle computer said 110.2 deg I wear no skivies under my shorts but I did use some powder, I have never used any cream guess I will try it. Its hard to chug enough water when conditions are that extreme, but i managed.
Dang, you might try getting out earlier in the day, if at all possible. I'm gonna guess this built some character, to say the least.

If the powder is working for you, don't switch. Don't fix what's not broken.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #15862
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
You can use any bike for a commuter. However, some feel a shorter wheelbase and more upright angles make a commuter more fun to ride. Also, the storage situation when you get there may impact your choice. Tour gearing may leave you wishing for more top end.

You're right that commuters and touring bikes do share some of the same features - durable wheels, bigger tires, and racks.

Quote:
(2) What if I just bought another road-worthy wheel set for my mtn bike and used it to commute?
Do you have a rack on your mtn bike? I'm guessing that would come in real handy if you're planning to commute frequently.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #15863
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Questions:
(3) Along the same lines as "2," what kind of packing system can schlep my monkey suit to/from work - this could potentially make my road bike and/or fixie a commuter?
A touring bike can be a great commuter.

If your mountain or road bike has eyelets to mount a rack, or if your commute is short enough that the weight (and unwanted insulation in hot weather) of a backpack won't get uncomfortable, then either of those bikes can work as a commuter, but neither are likely to be ideal.

When I tried using a 'cross bike to do triple duty (commute, recreational road rides, singletrack exploration), I got annoyed with the configuration changes. For commuting I wanted a rack so that I could carry my change of clothes and laptop in a pannier, rather than on my back. But I didn't like the weight or clattering of the rack when I wasn't commuting. The wheel changes could be kinda tedious too, as they required a slight brake adjustment due to varying rim widths. It's nice to be able to just grab the right bike for a given ride and go.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #15864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
A touring bike can be a great commuter.

If your mountain or road bike has eyelets to mount a rack, or if your commute is short enough that the weight (and unwanted insulation in hot weather) of a backpack won't get uncomfortable, then either of those bikes can work as a commuter, but neither are likely to be ideal.

When I tried using a 'cross bike to do triple duty (commute, recreational road rides, singletrack exploration), I got annoyed with the configuration changes. For commuting I wanted a rack so that I could carry my change of clothes and laptop in a pannier, rather than on my back. But I didn't like the weight or clattering of the rack when I wasn't commuting. The wheel changes could be kinda tedious too, as they required a slight brake adjustment due to varying rim widths. It's nice to be able to just grab the right bike for a given ride and go.
I've commuted on the Crosshairs, the Fetish, and even the mtn bike if the ride was short enough. ALL of em were kept as road-ready as I could. I'd figger out a way to leave clothing at the office and bring skivvies, and other minimal stuff I didn't wanna leave laying around. I typically commute with an ancient Timbuk 2 courier bag so I'm not the best to ask about schlepping a laptop around.

Having said that, a randonneur bike would be a better bet than a dedicated touring bike. Lighter, faster, more nimble, designed to go long distances comfortably. If yer planning on riding in the rain, run fenders. DAMHIK how nasty you can get if you get caught in a rainstorm.

I'd prolly start looking at something like a Salsa Casseroll and move more upscale as yer budget permits.

At one point, I was gonna take my small C-dale F2000 and stick some road wheels in it from a Bad Boy, add a drop bar and call it a cross bike. Got a 'real' cross bike first, so didn't ever complete the project.

A caveat: my commutes are usually about an hour long and I like to ride hard-ish to get there and easier on the way home. I'd rather ride my road bike than have a loaded down critter if at all possible.

HTH

M
Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #15865
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
One word. Jandd.

on the left side, a garment bag...
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCGBP
(that comes left only)

on the right side, a commuter bag...
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP
(that comes left or right)

these fit on most racks, but Jandd's own rack is optimal.

I scored a pair of Jandd 'grocery baskets' for $15 at a local garage sale... one was in good shape, the other very beat up but still functional. they are $55 each at the LBS
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #15866
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

After reading trailer Rails' post about the 2011 tricross bikes I may hold out until I see what the new bikes have to offer.

And I think the release of those new bikes will have people selling some of the older one's as well.

For now I'm sticking to my Dual Sport version of a mountain bike as my commuter while checking craigslist regularly.

I do have a question for you and the other more knowledgeable bike building folks.

Is it cost effective to buy a frameset and build a bike or is that something that ends up costing way more than getting a complete bike and upgrading as stuff wears out?
Don't worry about it too much, the tricross does not change much at all. Just try and find a left over model at a good deal.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #15867
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
This one?

That is it! $2500 for that bike! I am going to sell my Epic. I wish it had a "Brain" (cuz I don't).
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #15868
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Most mtn bikers don't have a brain. If they did, they wouldn't be out in *those* woods on *that* bike.

I know I fit that category! 'Course, when I started riding in 87, there WAS no such thing as suspension and some manf. (Ritchey) were actively fighting it!

S'why I don't have shoulders. Too much 'holyhellfireshit! I'm going WAY too farging fast and better hit this tree insteada going ass over teakettle down a mountain!'

M
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #15869
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Most mtn bikers don't have a brain. If they did, they wouldn't be out in *those* woods on *that* bike.
I should say I resent that, but the truth is I go mountain biking in part to turn off a big chunk of my brain for a while.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #15870
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I should say I resent that, but the truth is I go mountain biking in part to turn off a big chunk of my brain for a while.
Works too don't it?!

Too busy trying to survive to think about 'stuff.'

I actually rode the road bike tonite. After I got my ass kicked in Ala Mon, I'm jonesin for a 'rematch' and would like to actually be somewhat in shape to do it. I gotta tell you that there's HILLS in NW Denver! This is the route I took (with a few minor errors)

A little suburban for my tastes. I'd much rather be out in outer BFE riding with the cows, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: