ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 134 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #151
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Basso just needs a good cleaning, new seat, maybe a new stem, and some bar tape. The Dura Ace is sick
8 or 9spd Ace

I'm loving my 9spd DA setup, but I made the mistake of trying out 10 a couple weeks ago and I fear I've done bad things to myself and my budget...
__________________
If you're all about the destination, take a fucking flight.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #152
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error
8 or 9spd Ace

I'm loving my 9spd DA setup, but I made the mistake of trying out 10 a couple weeks ago and I fear I've done bad things to myself and my budget...

I never checked to be honest, but has a triple crank. It's at the bikeshop now.

Expensive spoRt isn't it.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #153
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I never checked to be honest, but has a triple crank. It's at the bikeshop now.

Expensive spoRt isn't it.

I worked in a shop for a while and was able to build my bikes at employee price, which is a good deal less than retail. Unfortunately shops don't pay well, so it all balanced out in the end.
__________________
If you're all about the destination, take a fucking flight.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #154
Cycletroll
Catastrophe Specialist
 
Cycletroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,082
Exercise

So, let me get this right.... you want to exercise. Ride whatever ya got. A mtn. bike with big knobbies will take more effort to pedal=more calories burned=decrease in ginormous gut. And you can ride it to Starbuck's and look all macho, just like the guys on GSA's with TKC's who never go more than a few miles from their yuppie heated garages. I mean really, what's wrong with your Klein? It used to be pretty shiznit back in the day. (BTW Gary Klein is a fag!)

To quote one of our favorite brain washing/make Tiger and Mikey rich companies: "Just Do it"
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #155
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletroll
So, let me get this right.... you want to exercise. Ride whatever ya got. A mtn. bike with big knobbies will take more effort to pedal=more calories burned=decrease in ginormous gut. And you can ride it to Starbuck's and look all macho, just like the guys on GSA's with TKC's who never go more than a few miles from their yuppie heated garages. I mean really, what's wrong with your Klein? It used to be pretty shiznit back in the day. (BTW Gary Klein is a fag!)

To quote one of our favorite brain washing/make Tiger and Mikey rich companies: "Just Do it"
Well for one I don't have a "ginormous gut", in fact I actually look to be in decent shape. But I know I'm a far cry from my Marine Corp. days when I used to run 30 miles a week.

Why would you assume I'm a yuppie? Because I happen to live in a city?
FYI -I've ridden centuries, commuted innercity on bicycles (as well as motorcycles), and I can't stand starbucks. Luckily here in NYC we still don't look like every strip mall in America, we have quite a few choices for coffee. I've had my newest GS for all of 5 months and I've already ridden out to Nebraska, and North Carolina,no TKC's I'm running Metz z6'S.....

I've seen the tourists posing in front of these coffee shops, but I';m too busy working. In fact I'm working today for the 7 day straight, got home last night at 2:30am.

There's nothing wrong w my Klein, except it ain't made to be used as a cardio road bike in a smooth paved city park with many hills.

And I wish I had FREAKING garage.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #156
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletroll
So, let me get this right.... you want to exercise. Ride whatever ya got. A mtn. bike with big knobbies will take more effort to pedal=more calories burned=decrease in ginormous gut. And you can ride it to Starbuck's and look all macho, just like the guys on GSA's with TKC's who never go more than a few miles from their yuppie heated garages. I mean really, what's wrong with your Klein? It used to be pretty shiznit back in the day. (BTW Gary Klein is a fag!)

To quote one of our favorite brain washing/make Tiger and Mikey rich companies: "Just Do it"
You want to rethink that? If you put in the same effort, you actually go somewhere on the road bike. It's not about sitting and spinning. Why struggle against the wind when you can glide and cover 50+ miles in a few hours? Fat fucks will never understand excercise. If you don't know shit about bikes, it's ok to shut the fuck up.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #157
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
So I took it out for a spin this morning, and realized it's in desperate need of a few things. All new cables, full tune up, and most likey a new stem/repack of headset. Rear brake was locked shut from rusted cable.

So I dropped it off at the bike shop and rode the MTN bike instead.


Basso will be a refreshed mid week, psyched to start using it.
"Index steering". crunch crunch crunch

It's gonna be nice to pick it up all tuned and ready to go. Most of the bike techs I've known enjoy bringing a nice bike back to life for an active rider...they know it's going to be enjoyed the way it should.

Give it a good polish.

And post pics, dammit. :tappingfoot
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #158
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu
 
Mulekick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Tradin' Nachtflug Rookie Cards
Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Well for one I don't have a "ginormous gut", in fact I actually look to be in decent shape. But I know I'm a far cry from my Marine Corp. days when I used to run 30 miles a week.

Why would you assume I'm a yuppie? Because I happen to live in a city?
FYI -I've ridden centuries, commuted innercity on bicycles (as well as motorcycles), and I can't stand starbucks. Luckily here in NYC we still don't look like every strip mall in America, we have quite a few choices for coffee. I've had my newest GS for all of 5 months and I've already ridden out to Nebraska, and North Carolina,no TKC's I'm running Metz z6'S.....

I've seen the tourists posing in front of these coffee shops, but I';m too busy working. In fact I'm working today for the 7 day straight, got home last night at 2:30am.

There's nothing wrong w my Klein, except it ain't made to be used as a cardio road bike in a smooth paved city park with many hills.

And I wish I had FREAKING garage.

Perry's a fat ass Perry's a fat ass......


Ps-If your done with the Klien you can send it to me.....
__________________
Don't walk behind a Mule................


note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #159
dlew
Daypass Adventurer
 
dlew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,144
Dude, get out of the Starbucks right now where you are surfing Jo Momma and keeping an eye on your GS while the passers-by ogle your new Remus headers, you poser yuppie.

Congrats on the Basso you lucky bastid.

I didn't see your thread until now. We shoulda talked bikes earlier. And btw, I think it's going to be between six and seven hours to the MOA.

I do think you should still consider a fixed gear bike for the city. You have so much control in the stop and go of the city and you feel really connected to the bike having the direct drive of your legs. On free wheeling bikes in the city I find i'm pedaling, then braking hard over and over. With the fixie I'm just connnected to wheels like I'm walking. It's addictive.

That Bianchi Pista is nice and reasonably priced and it turns super fast but the geometry is so steep the ride is too punishing for the city. I had one but it was stolen by one of my lovely Brooklyn neighbors. I do like that Specialized bike.

A cyclocross bike is a great suggestion.

Do NOT get a triatholon or time trial bike.

I'm building a rack for the GS now. I say you build one, too, and we GS it to Bear Mountain with the bikes.

Come over and check it out the stable:




Merlin Extralight titanium for fast fitness riding with the pack in the park, all titanium hardware (bolts) even spokes except for seat post and bar which are carbon and brakes which are titanium. Crank is steel. Dura-Ace drive train. Bought used from a bike mechanic.





Bridgestone XO-1 dual sport bike used mostly for fire roads, jaunts with the kids, and pulling the kid trailer. It's the bike that inspired the Rivendell.





Surly Steamroller fixed gear bike for training and commuting. Durable, comfortable, upright, and quick. Only bike I've ever bought new and built-up. I ride this bike in the snow and the rain (the fenders really help) but I'll also do a fast fitness ride. You gotta ride it.





Ibis Scorcher for getting coffee. It's an old school fixed gear cruiser but is actually very light and smooth riding.

dlew screwed with this post 07-15-2006 at 03:50 PM
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #160
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"
 
dirtypumpkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 13,847
Nice collection dlew. I like the swept bars on the XO.
How much does a garage like that rent for in Brooklyn...?

Perry:
Cool your dad "loaned" you the Basso.
Get some pop/son rides in while you have the chance...!!!
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #161
dlew
Daypass Adventurer
 
dlew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,144
thanks kawidual.

the bars on the XO are moustache bars made by Nitto. they're not as comfortable as drops IMO, although there are some really big fans of those bars.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #162
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
"Index steering". crunch crunch crunch

It's gonna be nice to pick it up all tuned and ready to go. Most of the bike techs I've known enjoy bringing a nice bike back to life for an active rider...they know it's going to be enjoyed the way it should.

Give it a good polish.

And post pics, dammit. :tappingfoot

I took some pics of it this morning, but my powerbook(almost 7 rs old) is on the fritz, waiting on new battery and powercord. Maybe I'll download em onto GF's tomorrow.

Yeah, the bike techs were circling the Basso, everyone there was eyeing it, seemed like they were psyched to give it new life.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #163
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Perry's a fat ass Perry's a fat ass......


Ps-If your done with the Klien you can send it to me.....

It's packed with the T shirt Mules......








psych
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #164
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
Dude, get out of the Starbucks right now where you are surfing Jo Momma and keeping an eye on your GS while the passers-by ogle your new Remus headers, you poser yuppie.

Congrats on the Basso you lucky bastid.

I didn't see your thread until now. We shoulda talked bikes earlier. And btw, I think it's going to be between six and seven hours to the MOA.

I do think you should still consider a fixed gear bike for the city. You have so much control in the stop and go of the city and you feel really connected to the bike having the direct drive of your legs. On free wheeling bikes in the city I find i'm pedaling, then braking hard over and over. With the fixie I'm just connnected to wheels like I'm walking. It's addictive.

That Bianchi Pista is nice and reasonably priced and it turns super fast but the geometry is so steep the ride is too punishing for the city. I had one but it was stolen by one of my lovely Brooklyn neighbors. I do like that Specialized bike.

A cyclocross bike is a great suggestion.

Do NOT get a triatholon or time trial bike.

I'm building a rack for the GS now. I say you build one, too, and we GS it to Bear Mountain with the bikes.

Come over and check it out the stable:




Merlin Extralight titanium for fast fitness riding with the pack in the park, all titanium hardware (bolts) even spokes except for seat post and bar which are carbon and brakes which are titanium. Crank is steel. Dura-Ace drive train. Bought used from a bike mechanic.





Bridgestone XO-1 dual sport bike used mostly for fire roads, jaunts with the kids, and pulling the kid trailer. It's the bike that inspired the Rivendell.





Surly Steamroller fixed gear bike for training and commuting. Durable, comfortable, upright, and quick. Only bike I've ever bought new and built-up. I ride this bike in the snow and the rain (the fenders really help) but I'll also do a fast fitness ride. You gotta ride it.





Ibis Scorcher for getting coffee. It's an old school fixed gear cruiser but is actually very light and smooth riding.


Dude, you got some sick collection there...damnn

I gotta try yer fixed gear rides.....Is tomorrow family day?

If not lets do a GS clean in crooklyn and go pose at a great coffee shop i used to know in Park Slope...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #165
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Perry:
Cool your dad "loaned" you the Basso.
Get some pop/son rides in while you have the chance...!!!

When I was a kid we used to do the 5 Boro Bike Ride, which is supposedly the largest cycling event in the US. He still does it every year w his club, so I'll probably tag along on the nxt one.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014