Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #16486
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
I'll pass that along - thanks, Stevers!
I struggled getting my protein when I was on getting 500 calories a day for months on end.

I still eat some of the bar type of supplements and even take a shake every now and then to keep my protein intake.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #16487
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I've never used cadence and typically just rely on my legs, lungs and heart to keep me pedaling at a comfortable/bearable rate.
I could see where a heart rate monitor could come in handy for training but I'm not sure that I'd know how to gauge my needs with the cadence feature.
Cadence is easy; just 80-90rpm, if you're recreational riding and 90+rpm, if you're pretty serious about your riding.

I rode my tri bike, one day last week. I lost my crank magnet, but, took it anyway. Without cadence to monitor rpm, I ended up going about 3mph slower than normal and was totally shagged. Knowing current rpm helps remind one when to upshift and downshift, like a tachometer. This is crucial to sustain effort over longer distances.

I don't wear a heart rate monitor, though I have one. I know a lot of people who do use one, are really serious about their workouts, and compete in events on a regular basis. But, I just don't care that much about it, I guess.

Quote:
I like the looks of that tool but it seems to have more than I THINK I'd need.
The tool I posted is nearly identical in features to the Crank Brothers one you're interested in. I just posted it because it looks cool.

Quote:
My dad is 58, slim at 180lbs and 5'11".

Over the last month, he's changed his diet to a vegetarian one and he has begun having trouble with stamina towards the end of his longer rides

He feels that he may not be getting enough protein

Any suggestions?
My GF is slowly going vegan. She'll eat fish, but, that's it for meats. I've noticed a huge drop in her stamina, since her change. It's got to be a lack of meat protein. I've pleaded with her to change her diet on/for rides, but, she just ignores me. So, I don't let my riding revolve around her anymore. If she's up and ready, I'll include her and alter my mileage. Otherwise, I take off and go get lost. My rides are regularly 60-100 miles and I just don't need the drama that far from home/help and having those concerns negatively affects my mental state.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #16488
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut

My GF is slowly going vegan. She'll eat fish, but, that's it for meats. I've noticed a huge drop in her stamina, since her change. It's got to be a lack of meat protein. I've pleaded with her to change her diet on/for rides, but, she just ignores me. So, I don't let my riding revolve around her anymore. If she's up and ready, I'll include her and alter my mileage. Otherwise, I take off and go get lost. My rides are regularly 60-100 miles and I just don't need the drama that far from home/help and having those concerns negatively affects my mental state.
That's all I eat, too. And I haven't dropped my stamina, but I am not doing any rides more than 20 miles, either. I'm also only riding 10mph and at night when it's cool.

Anyway, I've found that on the days I am going to exercise, I just eat more protein and drink more water. Seems to be working for me - but then I only need to up my protein by about 30mg from what I take in on a daily basis.

Sorry about your GF and your riding - that sucks.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #16489
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,569
Almost 13 miles tonight. About 1,000 feet of climbing and I am tired.
Tomorrow it is supposed to be warmer and I figure to not do the big fucking hill. I'll just do laps of the flattish stuff. I need the time, not so much the big work yet.

I'll do longer come the weekends when the roads are less busy and I can head for the paths.

Goal is to eventually ride to Seattle and back. Then Canada maybe...
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #16490
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Almost 13 miles tonight. About 1,000 feet of climbing and I am tired.
Tomorrow it is supposed to be warmer and I figure to not do the big fucking hill. I'll just do laps of the flattish stuff. I need the time, not so much the big work yet.

I'll do longer come the weekends when the roads are less busy and I can head for the paths.

Goal is to eventually ride to Seattle and back. Then Canada maybe...
Brutal!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #16491
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,558
Way to go Head, I took a restish day today. 9 miles of Mtn Biking. Just over an hour. Got caught out in the dark in the woods. Dug out my old Night Rider and charging that now. I'll carry that along for my Mtn Bike rides in the future. I hope it still holds a charge.

Today is going to be a Skyline Drive ride after work. Gonna shoot for 30 miles. Should be a great way to get an intense work out. Just a wee bit of climbing should be involved.

Keep riding Heidi...

Nice bike Stinez, I thought about a Cross bike...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #16492
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
...I'm also thinking about getting this tool kit and this CO2 pump IF I decide to order that computer.
i would consider the Air Chuck SL for a CO2 inflator. extremely compact, light to carry and it works! only requirement is that you need threaded cartridges.

kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #16493
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433
Quote:
It wasn't his 'diet' that worked for 58 yrs.... it was what he was eating worked for his bicycling needs. However, he doesn't wish to eat that way anymore, but still wants to continue cycling.
I understand the desire to eat less meat as the wife and I have changed our diet over the last several years in the same direction.
The difference is that we still eat a little meat but we make sure that the bulk of our diet consists of things we consider better for us.
I'm not sure how my body would react if I cut it off from ALL meat.

I like the looks of that Quinoa that Pierce posted and I/we will be looking into adding it to our diet. (We already eat lots of Bob's Red Mill products)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Way to go Head, I took a restish day today. 9 miles of Mtn Biking. Just over an hour. Got caught out in the dark in the woods. Dug out my old Night Rider and charging that now. I'll carry that along for my Mtn Bike rides in the future. I hope it still holds a charge.

Today is going to be a Skyline Drive ride after work. Gonna shoot for 30 miles. Should be a great way to get an intense work out. Just a wee bit of climbing should be involved.

Keep riding Heidi...

Nice bike Stinez, I thought about a Cross bike...
Thanks Steve - It's nice to see that you're very actively out and about.

I though a cross bike was the best compromise between a commuter and a bike that I can do long road rides on. I was going to ride it to work today but it looks like that ride home would be ~105 degrees so I woosed out.
IMO Riding in that kind of heat will do more harm than good.

Kahoon- I like the looks of that VERY compact air chuck and they seem reasonably priced. Thanks.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #16494
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,569
Quote:
Brutal!
Seattle is not that far, maybe 50 miles each way. If I can get to the Burke Gilman which I've done part of.
Riding out the the Centennial trail seems like a bad idea the roads out toward there are narrow and shoulderless.
Exploring last ngiht I found a pizza place close to the hotel that has wine.

slowly exploring routing I can get to the interurban and just need to figure getting from that over to the Burke Gilman, and then form that to say Pike Place.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #16495
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
i would consider the Air Chuck SL for a CO2 inflator. extremely compact, light to carry and it works! only requirement is that you need threaded cartridges.

and one of these will pump up a skinny 100+ PSI tire in a few strokes.

8.6 oz, comes in sizes for different frames, fits parallel to the seat tube. there's even a carbon fiber version that saves a couple ounces more!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #16496
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
I understand the desire to eat less meat as the wife and I have changed our diet over the last several years in the same direction.
The difference is that we still eat a little meat but we make sure that the bulk of our diet consists of things we consider better for us.
I'm not sure how my body would react if I cut it off from ALL meat.

I like the looks of that Quinoa that Pierce posted and I/we will be looking into adding it to our diet. (We already eat lots of Bob's Red Mill products)
It sounded good to him too - was going to pick some up today and try it out..... I'll letcha know what he thinks and how it worked for him. He's got a century coming up this weekend so stay tuned.

We eat a LOT of Bob's Red Mill products, too. That's good stuff!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #16497
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce

8.6 oz, comes in sizes for different frames, fits parallel to the seat tube. there's even a carbon fiber version that saves a couple ounces more!
But sadly, it has the dreaded direct connection to the valve. I really dislike them - I did look for something like this with a flexible adapter but I couldn't find one.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #16498
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
But sadly, it has the dreaded direct connection to the valve. I really dislike them - I did look for something like this with a flexible adapter but I couldn't find one.
just hook your thumb over the wheel, with the tire valve at TDC, and your fingers around the grip of the pump barrel, hold that arm steady and do all the pumping with the other arm. they work great that way.

the long pump barrel moves a lot more air at high pressure than a shorty (at an extreme 140psi, you need to squeeze that air down 10:1 before you move ANY air into the tire, not counting any static space, like the fitting...and hose. so if the pump has a 6" stroke, you're only moving air on that last 1/2"... if the pump has a 20" stroke like one of these frame pumps, you're moving air into the tire on the last 1.5-2". a 23C tire only needs a few dozen pumps from dead flat to 120psi.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #16499
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433
Quote:

I have one like that I take on long self-sufficient M/C trips because of the chance of multiple flats in the middle of nowere.

I don't see multiple bicycle flats in the middle of nowhere as a likely issue. (Knock on wood and bring the cell phone. )
That's why I like the idea of a small CO2 filler.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #16500
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
just hook your thumb over the wheel, with the tire valve at TDC, and your fingers around the grip of the pump barrel, hold that arm steady and do all the pumping with the other arm. they work great that way.

the long pump barrel moves a lot more air at high pressure than a shorty (at an extreme 140psi, you need to squeeze that air down 10:1 before you move ANY air into the tire, not counting any static space, like the fitting...and hose. so if the pump has a 6" stroke, you're only moving air on that last 1/2"... if the pump has a 20" stroke like one of these frame pumps, you're moving air into the tire on the last 1.5-2". a 23C tire only needs a few dozen pumps from dead flat to 120psi.
Tried it, just don't have the technique I guess.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: