Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #16531
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
It's better than what you have for what you're trying to achieve. However, the components are low-grade (7-speed is a giveaway). It'd be a throwaway bike if you got to the point of needing to replace major components. Probably, no worse than buying something off CL, for the same money, that's already worn out.
Gotcha.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #16532
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Gotcha, thanks.

How are the Motobecane bikes?
the real Motobecane ceased to exist some time ago.

My 1975 Motobecane Grand Record was a great bike back in its day... The race snobs looked down on it, as it was a long wheelbase touring geometry bike, but I loved it for exactly that. had all the right stuff, fully double butted Reynolds 531 (including stays and forks), classic french lugwork. originally, it only had some campy parts on it (derailleurs, shifters, crank, headset), but I ended up upgrading nearly everything on it over the years.

Nowdays, Motobecane, along with a bunch of other classic names like Dawes, Windsor, etc, are being slapped on generic frames from China being sold by the likes of bikesdirect.com

on these generic bikes, the brand is of zero significance, more important is the frame build, geometry, and components, and these have to be judged on a case by case basis. Yes, the factories making these bikes are the same factories that make many Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc etc etc bikes, but no, that doesn't mean they are the same thing.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #16533
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Not tall - 5'6", but the Le Monde I'll be riding tonight of my dad's is a 55cm so I thought a 57cm wasn't that big of a difference.

Thanks for the link and all the advice!
I'm 5'9" and ride a 54cm in the Roubaix. The Pinarello is a 56cm. The Italian is a racing geometry and the top tube is shorte, so it works, though I only run a 100mm stem.

Women have shorter torsos compared to men. Men's bikes therefore would require to be even shorter and run longer seat post extension but a nominal stem, to maybe shorter stem.

Upper-middle of the category bikes will be either men's geometry or women's.

5'6" I'd guess a 50 to 52cm frame which means sloping top tube.

These types of frames exist in alloy, and steel. Saw an old Epic the other day that reminded me of the women's team that used them back when they first came out, because the top tubes were shorter.

My personal aversion to French frames grew out of sourcing parts. French stems and seat posts were different sizes to Italian or English. Made it harder to find parts, not impossible but usually involved special ordering.
My Motobecane was a 22" and much larger than the Pinarello quite a bit longer in the top tube. Longer chain stays so softer and more relaxed head angle. More touring but not quite long enough to comfortably fit a baby seat back
there, but I managed. The Pinarello that did not work, but I could pull a Burley with two helmeted kids strapped inside pretty well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-Bianchi-Spor...item53e326f1fc

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-1000-Road-B...item53e3361b8f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Alle...item2309a22e9c

This last one looks pretty darned good.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 04:28 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #16534
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Lots to read, lots to look at! Thanks to all that have posted.

Leaving in about an hour test the ride on the road bike. I'm kinda excited.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #16535
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
I second the emotion on that Allez on fleabay, looks good. 105 is a very decent component set. a new Allez w/ 105 would be well north of $1000 even if you got a steal of a deal on a 2010 clearance.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #16536
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Jannd bags seem very nicely made and well thought out.
Thanks - will check them out also.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #16537
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Not tall - 5'6", but the Le Monde I'll be riding tonight of my dad's is a 55cm so I thought a 57cm wasn't that big of a difference.

Thanks for the link and all the advice!
I've been outta town (Portland-Tillamook ish) riding MCs all week, but AFA ''wasn't *that* big a difference' a few mm can indeed make that much difference. At 5'8" I'm riding a 54cm Top Tube (TT) frame. At 5'6" the BIGGEST thing you should be looking at is a 52cm TT frame. Anything bigger'n that you should just keep looking.

LeMonds are all wrong for wimmens' physiologies. Look for Italian bikes. They tend to have either square or slightly shorter TTs vs Seat Tubes (ST)

HTH

M
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #16538
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I'll mark that down as "personal preference".
My MCs and my cyclocross bikes are the only ones with the right= ft brake. All the rest are American (left= ft brake) setup.

The Italians and English typically set up their bikes with the front brake on the right. English for obvious reasons, the Italians...

M
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #16539
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I always fit well on the 17" Specialized bikes. I am also around 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
For some reason I kept thinking you were taller'n that. I kept looking at yer setups on yer bikes and beind confused cause I thought you were 5'11" or some such. Oh well. You'd know better'n me!

@Pilot: I'm an inch shorter'n you are and am riding both a 54cm and a 54.5cm TT bike as well as a 16" mtn bike. I got the smallest one I'd fit on. If I'm gonna get a new one, it'll be a med/17". At 5'9" I'd stay between 54cm and 55.5cm TT bikes if you're looking used. If you've got shorter legs like me, stay away from real slack angled bikes (72.5-73deg) cause they're gonna make you shove the seat all the way forward to get the right fit.

HTH

M
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #16540
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Alle...item2309a22e9c

This last one looks pretty darned good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I second the emotion on that Allez on fleabay, looks good. 105 is a very decent component set. a new Allez w/ 105 would be well north of $1000 even if you got a steal of a deal on a 2010 clearance.
Sorry. I think you guys are experiencing oxygen deprivation. That Allez is a 12 year old bike, with ancient 105 drivetrain, parts bin cockpit, junk seat, leftover wheels from something else. A real pile at $500. The Trek is a nice bike, but, still way too much money. It's 7 years old and has Sora components. It's a bargain-bin ride that would've been about $750 new.

You can buy a brand new 2011 Allez w/2300 for $810. Guaranteed I can find a leftover for $700, or less. Furthermore, we're outfitting a female. So, let's look for a women's bike that is more conservative in geometry. There has to be a Dolce, Giant OCR W, etc listed somewhere.

Here's a nice '09 51cm Dolce W/105 at $700.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Dolc...item35abf0f955

Here's a new Dawes at $260 shipped, like what "EvilGenius" mentioned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WOMENS-ALUMI...item23090d6a86

New Giant Avail at $600.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2010-Giant-A...item255ce31609
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #16541
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Thanks - will check them out also.
You posted a site for bags a while back. What type of bag(s) are you looking for?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #16542
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Nosing around CA Specialized dealers and found these:

'10 Dolce Triple at $800 on a $910 MSRP.

'11 Dolce Triple at $800 on a $900 MSRP.

Cannondale Synapse at $800 on a $880 MSRP.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #16543
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Ok. First things first...

The bike I was on is a 2007 Le Mond 55cm 20 speed road bike.

First impressions: Nice and light. Very rigid.

Riding impressions: It seemed 'short' ... like I was gonna go over the bars if I hit something even remotely small(but I never did). I loved the weight, but the ergos were not right for me. I am not used to leaning so far forward and it put too much pressure on my wrists. It was also too big for me even when the seat post all the way down. My dad has a 'mens' seat on it, so I stuck my gel seat pad/cover over it, which helped greatly.

I was only able to get 3.5 miles before my toes started to fall asleep and the muscle in my right leg was pulling uncomfortably. I was having to peddle with the balls of my feet. I was able to ride an additional 3.5 miles home but with the same issues. I managed a 14+mph speed up and down a few hills to really understand what a road bike can offer me, so the ride was a great success. I was amazed at the small amount of energy needed to propel myself forward at decent pace. Where I am struggling horribly at 11+mph on my comfort bike, 15+mph on this bike was giving me the same work out, but with less energy used.

I plan on getting fitted for one soon - until then, I'm going to be looking for some POS that works, find parts so that I can put together myself or find that weird old lady with 27 cats that is trying to get rid of her grandson's bicycle for $10. My budget is limited only to trading my own bike(which is in very good condition with only 200 miles on it).

Thanks for all the help!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #16544
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Listen to Mr Head: 50-52cm

The toes thing is cause yer not riding a rigid soled shoe. I did 30+ miles in Ala on platform pedals and had the same issue.

Leaning too far forward is a fit thing and will/should be fixt with a properly sized bicycle.

I've hit 60mph on my road bike. You CAN go faster!

Oh, and congrats. You've taken the first step in a very fun (and somewhat expensive) hobby/sport/lifestyle

M

edited to add: there's no such thing as a 20-speed road bike. At the level yer talking its, 8, 9, or 10sp with either a double or triple up front. The 8, 9, or 10sp refers to the # of cogs on the rear hub. Useta be the front was a double as a given. Now? Not as much. HTH
Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #16545
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,325
Youre supposed to pedal with the balls of your feet.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: