Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 516 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #16546
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Youre supposed to pedal with the balls of your feet.
But my legs were so far extended that's all I could put on the peddles at all. And it was barely at that.

Thanks, Gummee! I really don't know what what my dad has for gearing... I just asked how many gears he had on that thing.

60mph?!?!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #16547
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Bicycle speed:

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #16548
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
But my legs were so far extended that's all I could put on the peddles at all. And it was barely at that.

Thanks, Gummee! I really don't know what what my dad has for gearing... I just asked how many gears he had on that thing.

60mph?!?!
Ah, I see now.

Thinkin bout stripping my bike down.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #16549
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Bicycle speed:

downhill doesn't count!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #16550
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

OK,
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #16551
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Maximum speeds can sometimes be well in error...

Not real likely I managed that speed as I was loaded up for camping and what with all the drag from the bags and the XD...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #16552
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:

60mph?!?!
I've learned the hard way not to spit, blow snot rockets, or do anything that requires things to come out of your face at anything over 50mph.

60's slow compared to the pros, but then again, I don't spend 8hrs/day on my bike either.

So I was at the Fiesta Is 'Thursday Night Worlds' a few years back. Going round the island in a group of 50-ish. These are some of the second tier hammers: working doods, not usually pros, the pros ride earlier in the day and further north. Still fast doods (and doodettes) tho.

So there we are, going down the downwind leg and I'm grovelling in the gutter about 10th in a string on the white line behind the 'pack' when I look down and see we're doing 56kph (35mph) I managed to take my tongue off my front wheel long enough to see my buddy at the front pulling the pack along... Bastard! Guess he didn't get to be District 20 champ for nothing, huh?!

So I made a decision that I'm NOT gonna be one of the doods in the string almost Off The Back (OTB) and actually used Joel Friel's book and trained. Next year, I was one of the doods in the front pack and that same 56kph didn't feel NEARLY as hard. I couldn't move around like I wanted, but I could make my way to the front-ish of the pack and held my own.

So, here I am... Looking at that same book thinking about cross racing coming up here in a few months... Hmmmm I think if I did the right stuff, I won't be AS far OTB...

I just spent a week off the bike. Ready to get back at it.

The point of this little rambling post is that to ride without structure is like driving from NoVA to Denver without a road map. Yeah, you know the end result is arriving in Denver, but how you get there is the question. No, not everybody needs/wants that kind of structure. If you're riding for fun/fitness great! Keep at it. You decide you wanna do it quickly, there's a whole nuther level of riding you needta learn.

Even if you ARE riding for fun and fitness, ignore the average speed display on yer computer. All that does is lead to burnout. You CAN NOT sustain 'beating my average speed' for lengths of time. I've seen too many begining cyclists A. do stoopit shit like running lights, etc and B. burn out that I felt I hadta post that up.

HTH

M
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #16553
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
On my own, doing intervals? IIRC I was doing em between 50 and 60kph. I don't remember the fastest I've gone on the flats under my own power, but it was prolly somewhere near what Mr Head just posted up.

M
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #16554
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Even if you ARE riding for fun and fitness, ignore the average speed display on yer computer. All that does is lead to burnout. You CAN NOT sustain 'beating my average speed' for lengths of time.
That's what TT's have done to me. Fook killin' myself for 20K, every Wednesday night. I, now, enjoy just getting out there and riding as remote of a road as I can find on my 'cross.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #16555
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
1966 Schwinn Paramount P13...

Spicy McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 AM   #16556
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Ok. First things first...

The bike I was on is a 2007 Le Mond 55cm 20 speed road bike.

First impressions: Nice and light. Very rigid.

Riding impressions: It seemed 'short' ... like I was gonna go over the bars if I hit something even remotely small(but I never did). I loved the weight, but the ergos were not right for me. I am not used to leaning so far forward and it put too much pressure on my wrists. It was also too big for me even when the seat post all the way down. My dad has a 'mens' seat on it, so I stuck my gel seat pad/cover over it, which helped greatly.

I was only able to get 3.5 miles before my toes started to fall asleep and the muscle in my right leg was pulling uncomfortably. I was having to peddle with the balls of my feet. I was able to ride an additional 3.5 miles home but with the same issues. I managed a 14+mph speed up and down a few hills to really understand what a road bike can offer me, so the ride was a great success. I was amazed at the small amount of energy needed to propel myself forward at decent pace. Where I am struggling horribly at 11+mph on my comfort bike, 15+mph on this bike was giving me the same work out, but with less energy used.

I plan on getting fitted for one soon - until then, I'm going to be looking for some POS that works, find parts so that I can put together myself or find that weird old lady with 27 cats that is trying to get rid of her grandson's bicycle for $10. My budget is limited only to trading my own bike(which is in very good condition with only 200 miles on it).

Thanks for all the help!
Perhaps your body proportions would suggest a compact frame might fit you well. I'm tall waisted with wee short legs so a compact frame was a better fit for me.

While its fun to help you spend your money, its really hard to help you with fit over the internet.

Good luck with it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #16557
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Here's a Tricross steal on eBay.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #16558
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
1966 Schwinn Paramount P13...
Nice lugs.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 11:04 AM
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #16559
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,849
Bikepacking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
You posted a site for bags a while back. What type of bag(s) are you looking for?
Thanks.... I'm interested in bikepacking.

Eric Parsons' stuff is the leading choice at the moment - he gets good marks in various forums. Not overly expensive either.

Carousel Designs is another.

I've done regular long-distance touring although that was decades ago - Glacier-to-Yellowstone, 600-mile Hill Country trip, Clingman's Dome in the Smokes...from each side, Cadillac Mt in Acadia, etc.

I'm trying to avoid the typical front/rear pannier setups in favor of lighter setups and more single-track travel. My first overnighter will likely be this one. I'm about 99% sure I've offroaded there before and can't wait to get there again for scenery like this:

(Stolen form a ride report linked above!)
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #16560
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
That custom epic/carousel stuff is neat, but you don't need to spend near that much. Here's a thread over on bikepacking.net on doing it on the cheap: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ind...c,982.msg12962

Details on my setup are there.

You'll find you constantly want to adjust and tune what you carry, how much of it, and where on the bike you carry it.

I wouldn't spend any big bucks on a custom bag until you know what you want.

I know I probably won't ever buy a seatpost bag or any custom frame bag based on my experiences.

While panniers and bikepacking don't usually work out all that well, racks make for awesome places to strap stuff and don't interfere with pedaling.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: