Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #16591
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That looks like fun except for the 2000ft ev. part.
when you're in good shape, flatland riding gets pretty damn boring. just remember that what goes up must come down!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #16592
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I think my average distance climbed in a 10 mi ride is about 60.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #16593
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Anyone familiar with Revelate Designs?

Looking for bags for the Fargo - something that will carry enough gear for a couple of days unsupported.

Revelate Designs - Eric Parsons - anyone used his stuff before?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #16594
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Put in 48 miles today riding from home to Shasta Dam and back. Covered over 20 mi. of dirt multi-use trail and singletrack on the way out. The ride back was all slab. This was my first real ride in 2 weeks (thanks cold virus!). I think it may have been my longest single ride ever! The lactic acid burn in the quads was exquisite.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #16595
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Looking for bags for the Fargo - something that will carry enough gear for a couple of days unsupported.

New to me, but their stuff looks the business. Resonable prices, too.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #16596
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Just back home from the Central ADV rally. LG and I drove up to Askel's place so I could bicycle down with him. 10 hours later, Askel and I roll in. That was Friday. Saturday was spent recuperating, going for a short spin and digging into some very tasty beer.

Askel, my watch stopped for just a bit when we hit the sand but it was only for a short section. I think I have the track right and missed only 3.2 miles of what we actually rode. The correctest total is 104.9 miles with 9,403 feet of climbing.

Awesome ride. Lots of great forest service roads, a moose, several deer, fantastic scenery, and some absolutely bitching sand. Glad you saved that for the last nine miles.

Well bud, I hope you are back home by now and are "carbo loading" in repose.

Yeah. He road back today.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #16597
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Had the wind at my back the whole way. Even when I had to turn east for a bit, the wind would cooperate. That's never happened.

Must be my lucky new cow pattern sheepskin.

Now, it might seem that I try a crazy thing or two on bicycles every now and then. But I was the moderate one this time. It was Bimble's idea to do the whole ride down- with gravel, in one shot. And yeah, that got downright epic. I've never been so happy to see pavement.

Next ADV Bicycle thread event: The Gentlemen's Ride.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #16598
ladygodiva
Gnocca

Oddometer: 13,420
Bravo to the "Ultra-lite touring Duo"! You two rock!

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" Lessing

"The civilized people have lost the aptitude of stillness, and must take lessons in silence from the wild." Isak Dinesen aka Karen Blixen

"He who makes a beast of himself get's rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #16599
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7

Jannd bags seem very nicely made and well thought out.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #16600
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,107
Today I wandered off and well, got a bit lost. But, I did find my way to the LBS up here by bicycle, and then I knew where I was and that lead me to as far south as I have been on the INterurban Trail,

My ugliness in all it's splendor,

30 miles on the day I managed to average about 14mph. Took about 2 hours. The weather cooled quite a bit.

All my muscles hurt along with the ribs I broke more than a year ago. But, my knees are OK. Good workout for the day. Met a retired racer on the way back to the hotel. Wayne. Good ride.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 08:34 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #16601
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Lemme see, we already have Javarilla as King of the Clydes. So I nominate Askel as the Minister of Pain and Gravel.

Y'all are makin' the rest of us look bad.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #16602
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Ok. After a month of riding on my comfort bike, I've come to the realization that I need a road bike if I'm going to continue to ride.

I want a POS entry level bike that will get me started, but I have no money and all I can offer to trade is my nearly new Schwinn GS comfort bike with less than 200 miles on it.

I've looked on Craigslist, but I have NO idea what's a good bike, what I need, blah blah blah.

Tell me what I need and how to get what I want with my limitations. Please.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #16603
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Ok. After a month of riding on my comfort bike, I've come to the realization that I need a road bike.

I need a POS entry level bike that will get me started, but I have no money and all I can offer to trade is my nearly new Schwinn GS comfort bike with less than 200 miles on it.

I've looked on Craigslist, but I have NO idea what's a good bike, what I need, blah blah blah.

I know the feeling.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #16604
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Ok. After a month of riding on my comfort bike, I've come to the realization that I need a road bike if I'm going to continue to ride.

I want a POS entry level bike that will get me started, but I have no money and all I can offer to trade is my nearly new Schwinn GS comfort bike with less than 200 miles on it.

Fit is very important. Makes it kind of difficult to buy online if you don't know what size you need. This weekend might be a great time to visit the LBS and at least test ride a few bikes and see if they have some models on closeout. I'm guessing your going to want a model that is a little more upright than a race bike. Its not a comfort bike, but its a little more comfortable than a pure race bike. Be prepared to discuss what sort of riding you see yourself wanting to do. 20-30 mile rides or centuries.

Good used bikes can be had, but for the inexperienced cyclists, well, you could end up buying someone else's problems.

BTW, I think this was predictable - anyone who has "Ninja Skillz", such as yourself, wasn't going to be happy with comfort bike for long...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #16605
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Fit is very important. Makes it kind of difficult to buy online if you don't know what size you need. This weekend might be a great time to visit the LBS and at least test ride a few bikes and see if they have some models on closeout. I'm guessing your going to want a model that is a little more upright than a race bike. Its not a comfort bike, but its a little more comfortable than a pure race bike. Be prepared to discuss what sort of riding you see yourself wanting to do. 20-30 mile rides or centuries.

Good used bikes can be had, but for the inexperienced cyclists, well, you could end up buying someone else's problems.

BTW, I think this was predictable - anyone who has "Ninja Skillz", such as yourself, wasn't going to be happy with comfort bike for long...

Thanks for the info. I should also mention that my father is a century rider with a few road bikes in his possession. He's got some good advice for me, but I want an unbiased opinion, too. He's letting me take out his Le Monde, 20 speed, 55cm bike out to test ride tomorrow. If I like it, I'm fucked cuz then that's all I'm gonna want and I won't wanna settle for anything less.

Thanks, Dad.... right?

Somebody shoot me now.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: