Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #16606
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
sweet. that looks like a good riding bike. bars are about as high as the seat, so hopefully, you're leaning forward some, enough to balance your weight, and get you enough forward to break the worst of any winds. keep an eye on the spokes on those wheels.

reflectors on the wheels (or reflective sidewall tires) make it a LOT easier for a vehicle to see you from the side, like at an intersection. but, if you never ever ride after dark, then I guess its a wash.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #16607
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,322

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #16608
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #16609
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
That doesn't look like a POS, to me.

$99!!!! I don't see how.
Miss marked at Target.

pierce: I ride at night, but on a lit path designed for bikes.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #16610
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Miss marked at Target.

A month or so after I bought mine I was at Academy browsing through their bikes and there was a Schwinn road bike. Drop bars, 26c tires, 24 speed, etc. etc.

That they had tagged for about $230. I dunno if it was correct or not (the only one they had on the floor), but it was too late for me to return my bike and we didn't have enough money to buy it.

But that's how I got our kid trailer, s'pose to be $120-$140, but they had mispriced it to $99 and my bike came with a coupon for $XX off of any other schwinn product purchased with the bike.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #16611
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius

A month or so after I bought mine I was at Academy browsing through their bikes and there was a Schwinn road bike. Drop bars, 26c tires, 24 speed, etc. etc.

That they had tagged for about $230. I dunno if it was correct or not (the only one they had on the floor), but it was too late for me to return my bike and we didn't have enough money to buy it.

But that's how I got our kid trailer, s'pose to be $120-$140, but they had mispriced it to $99 and my bike came with a coupon for $XX off of any other schwinn product purchased with the bike.
Ouch. That'd piss me off, too.

I hate it when that happens. But it's great to find bargains like that. I'm happy with this new bike.

Just got back from my 15 mile ride. I averaged 3mph more on this bike than the other. It was much easier to get down the road - bike was smooth, comfortable and only my shoulders and palms hurt a tad - but that's just from the riding position, which I will adapt to over time.

Unbelievably fun bike! Rigid as hell and every bump made my teeth chatter, but man, it was fun to zip, zip, zip by everything. The workout on this bike was much different than the other - more concentrated and defined, I guess. I wasn't near as winded and my legs feel like I just ran through some good sand. But my overall cardo feel is much less but I gave more effort. How does that work?

Anyway, I love the bike and will get it dialed in soon enough to hopefully get out there and get some serious miles under my belt.

VelvtRide screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 10:23 PM
Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #16612
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Just heard about this place for vintage NOS Campagnolo stuff and restoration services.

http://www.velomine.com/

Tons of vintage stuff here, too.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/
There's www.campyonly.com too

M
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #16613
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
There's www.campyonly.com too

M
Yeah, saw that. A vintage RD is worth more than the whole bikes that I'm tinkering with.

Hopefully, whoever it was needing a Cinelli stem will find something at one of these places.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #16614
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,836
Here is another excellent site for (older) bike related stuff.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #16615
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Yeah, saw that. A vintage RD is worth more than the whole bikes that I'm tinkering with.

Hopefully, whoever it was needing a Cinelli stem will find something at one of these places.
I do sometimes think about parting out my all campy motobecane as its pretty trashed as-is. but all the chrome bits on tne campy parts has a fair amount of rust on it, would take a lot of elbow grease to make it anything halfway nice. early style NR front, SR rear, NR crank with SR big chainring, NR pedals, NR BB, NR headset, NR brakes, NR downtube shifters, NR seatpost. stuff is all 1975 vintage... and oh yeah, the headset and BB are some wonky french size.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #16616
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Always a great champion:

Laurent Fignon 1960-2010

Anybody know what kind of Cancer he had? What a horrible disease. Its hard to believe that we have not yet found a cure for this nasty disease.
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #16617
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 49,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I finally replaced my 10+ year old Diadora mtb shoes with a new pair of Lake road shoes in wide width. I like SPD pedals and use them for everything i.e. road, mountain, spin class in winter. Anyway, they are drilled for SPD style cleats and included some metal mtb pedal plates to install in the soles. Am I supposed to cut through the layer beneath the insoles to install the plates? That part of the shoe is hard to get to because the tongue is held in place by that fancy new BOA lacing setup. BTW, these feel sweet on my feet... on the living room carpet.
I like the BOA lacing set-up and have them on my snowboard boots.

Do yourself a favor and bring the little allen wrench, that should have come with the shoes, with you so that when the knob loosens up you can insert the allen into the center of that knob and snug it back up. It's a little screw so be nice...

Just a heads up because it could be a big deal if it loosens up in the middle of nowhere.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #16618
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Anybody know what kind of Cancer he had? What a horrible disease. Its hard to believe that we have not yet found a cure for this nasty disease.
Stomach cancer.. he was having difficulty speaking during this year's Tour interviews back in July.

Laurent Fignon, two-time Tour de France winner, dies of cancer at age 50

Laurent Fignon of France, the two-time Tour de France winner who worked in race organizing and as a French national television commentator following his long, successful career, has died at a hospital in Paris at age 50 following a battle with cancer.

Fignon, who retired in 1993, won the Tour de France in 1983 and 1984. He was also runner-up in 1989 when he lost by eight seconds, the smallest margin in the history of the race, to Greg LeMond.

Fignon, who was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 2009, had 76 victories during his career. But his successes were later overshadowed by positive tests for illegal substances twice in the late 1980s.

In his book about his career, ‘We Were Young and Unconcerned’, Fignon admitted taking amphetamines and cortisone. But he did not establish a direct link with his cancer of the digestive system.

“In those days everyone was doing it,” he wrote in the book. “But it is impossible to know to what extent doping harms you. Whether those who lived through 1998, when a lot of extreme things happened, will get cancer after 10 or 20 years, I really can’t say.”

Since 2006 and including this year's Tour de France, Fignon was a television commentator daily for the French national network. During broadcasts this year, Fignon's voice was scratchy, sometimes painful to listen to and sometimes nearly inaudible.

During one stage in the media center, I spoke with Philippe Brunel, the esteemed cycling columnist for L'Equipe, about Fignon.

"It's very important for him to be here," Brunel said. "Not many people know this, but he actually left the Tour for one day to get a chemotherapy treatment."

Brunel added that Fignon wanted to part of cycling for as long as he could. Fignon died 32 days after the final day of this year's Tour de France.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #16619
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,825
Quote:

Well, being one of the "whoevers", I went with the modern alternative...
Last night on the Sammamish river trail out to Redmond form Bothell Landing was fun. The new stem set up is more solid than the old Cinelli 1R ever was.

All those vintage sites get me to really thinking parting out the old gal is the way to go when the rain and dark hit here in the PNWet.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #16620
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Well, being one of the "whoevers", I went with the modern alternative...
Last night on the Sammamish river trail out to Redmond form Bothell Landing was fun. The new stem set up is more solid than the old Cinelli 1R ever was.

All those vintage sites get me to really thinking parting out the old gal is the way to go when the rain and dark hit here in the PNWet.
I upgraded from a Specialized forged stem to a Syncros welded AL stem on my bike. Guy at Syncros warned me that I may lever my wheel out from under me 'cause the new stem don't flex as much.

Nah... I've been doing this for eons (sound familliar?!)

So sure as shit, I get a good sprint going one day and damn near levered my bike out from under me! That Syncros stem was STIFF!

Be careful there Mr Head. The more solid mount and the more solid stem may mean you may lever yer wheel out from underneath you in a sprint.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: