Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #1652
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B
Cyclocross season... wooohooo

I completely didn't know about the Velodrome race. Found out about it on Monday.

Yes, I skipped the Surf City race on purpose. Tired legs and didn't wanna get DFL yet again prevailed. Been riding back and forth to work and mis-timed starting that again.

Gonna go run here in a bit. In the middle, I'm gonna get a Mexican Gut Bomb for din-din.

M
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #1653
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I think Gummee got lazy on us skipping Sundays Race. And where were you the weekend before when the racing was on the velodrome?

Sunday's race was a tubular race and I ran clinchers (cause I was too lazy to glue) and wound up with two flats and a sore back AND my ass kicked. Next Race. There's always another race. I'm gluing tubulars today.

Maybe Gummee is spending too much time on the moto

PHEW! can't tell how dirty she is!

M
Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #1654
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
yeah, it's a perfectly framed shot to hide all the dirt and bug splats.

As for the DFL worries: who cares. After about a lap and a half no one can tell if you're first, last or somewhere in the middle. Wait til the leaders catch you and then latch on.....
Then NEVER look up your results. Unless you stayed with the lead group.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #1655
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,120
Quote:

As for the DFL worries: who cares. After about a lap and a half no one can tell if you're first, last or somewhere in the middle. Wait til the leaders catch you and then latch on.....

That's a great shot!
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #1656
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
you should see her now! I've got some delayed maintenance that needs doing...

Quote:
I CARE. Basically, I'm slow enough right now that all I do is stay outta the way when getting lapped. It only happened twice last weekend I raced, so its getting better! I've been trying to do intervals (10-ish sec all out! 50sec rest) to simulate cross efforts. Heck! I may even try some hill repeats. Blech! I HATE hills! Give me a 40mph sprint any day!

I'm gonna hit the end of the month Surf City (God willin and the crick don't rise!) after being at Hedge and Becca's the week before. Gotta do my externship in the city y'know!
Quote:
Great pic! Looks like a great mtn bike-ish course so far!

M
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #1657
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Hmmmmm, what to ride, what to ride.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #1658
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
s'cruz area news story...

Mountain bikers hope new law wins new riding trails
By ROGER SIDEMAN
SENTINEL STAFF WRITER

A new state policy has mountain biking enthusiasts looking to expand their turf in the county's State Parks system.

One group of bikers is seeking access to roughly 15 miles of local trails currently off-limits to bicyclists, a pursuit that isn't likely to come easy in a county where feuds over trail use have frequently erupted as mountain biking has grown in popularity.

A trail policy put on the books last year for the state system's 278 parks forces park administrators to be more responsive to requests for new trail access.

"These are our parks, too," said Tom Ward, who has long felt mountain bikers have gotten short shrift and is helping local bikers as a lobbyist in Sacramento for the International Mountain Biking Association.

Mountain bikers have been associated with aggressive trail use and environmental damage to trails.

Ward helped establish the State Parks trail policy when he worked as a top official for the agency last year. By establishing an appeals process, Ward said, the current policy has put in place a system of checks and balances to ensure that public requests are heard by local districts.

The Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz, an advocacy group with 163 members on its mailing list, hopes to give bikers new access in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park Fall Creek Unit, where mountain biking is illegal, the Skyline-to-the-Sea trail, which connects Big Basin State Park's headquarters to Highway 1 and is mostly off-limits to bikes, and areas of Henry Cowell's main branch.

Existing "multi use" trails open to a growing number of bikers are too congested and need expanding, advocates say.

"Big Basin is a large park that will give mountain bikers a solitary experience," said Mark Davidson, a software engineer and head of Mountain Bikers Of Santa Cruz.

From the perspective of many bikers, the sport's rise in popularity has drawn new-kid-on-the-block treatment and they have to fight for access to trails traditionally enjoyed by hikers and horseback riders.

"Basically the situation is that mountain biking has evolved since the State Parks were acquired and, since the government is slow and resistant, it's hard to open trails," said Patty Ciesla, director of the Northern California Mountain Biking Association.

Before the new trail policy, proposals could be sat on indefinitely by a cash-strapped parks system with more pressing priorities.

Steve Musillami, State Parks trail manager, acknowledged the need to address trail designation.

"There's been more concerns with local trails systems in the past five to 10 years," Musillami said.

Proposals for expanded mountain biking have been challenged in the past, and almost certainly will face problems in the future.

Critics don't want to be spooked or forced off trails by aggressive mountain bikers; they say the high-tech activity isn't always in keeping with the sanctity of wilderness areas.

Aldo Giacchino, director of the Sierra Club's local chapter, said he wouldn't take a position on the Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz proposal until he sees it but said the Sierra Club is generally against adding new mountain biking trails.

"People don't want to be surprised by fast moving objects in tight situations," he said.

Others are concerned about trails and the erosion and damage caused by the ruts left by tires.

Other groups also have taken issue with allowing mountain bikes, including the local chapter of the California Native Plant Society, the Rural Bonny Doon Association and several UC Santa Cruz ecology professors.

Mountain bikers are quick to cite scientific studies suggesting equestrians cause as much, or more, trail damage than bikes. Davidson says that most mountain bikers are environmentalists, too.

The mountain bike group is also eyeing trails at the Coast Dairies Ranch, in the "Gray Whale" area adjacent to Wilder Ranch State Park and the off-road footpaths above UCSC.

Proposed mountain biking sites
  • Henry Cowell State Park, Fall Creek unit.
  • Portions of Henry Cowell State Park, main branch.
  • Big Basin State Park, Skyline-to-the-Sea trail.

this was in Sunday's Santa Cruz Sentinel.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #1659
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
That's a great shot!

thanks. Itook that at last years Watsonville USGP.
I was shooting wide so I'm really close to the racer (Jesse Anthony)

here's Barry Wicks
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #1660
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Mountain bikers hope new law wins new riding trails
By ROGER SIDEMAN
SENTINEL STAFF WRITER

A new state policy has mountain biking enthusiasts looking to expand their turf in the county's State Parks system.

This would be great, we need more multi use trails.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #1661
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
[size=4][b]Mountain bikers hope new law wins new riding
I could rant about this forever. Most of the places I would like to see opened up to Mountain Bikes in Santa Cruz are inhabited by drunks and junkies. I bike there and I get a $300 fine. On the other hand sleep on the path, drag tons of garbage into the park, get belligerent with nearby kids, puke, shoot up, get in fights.............
I'm going to head out to Pogonip and take pictures of some of the incredible damage that the "homeless'" communities are doing to the green spaces. I'll send the pics to the UCSC ecology professors who think mountain biking is bad for the ecology and see how much backbone they have.....
Mountain bikers are such an easy "ban" target.

OK rant off....
We had to change our workout location for our junior cross racers because of all the drunks. I would "sweep" the trail to see if there were people sleeping on it before practice. Most of the time they would just peer at me from their "beds" but a couple of weeks ago we had to call the cops because a drunk was threatening the kids.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #1662
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
...our junior cross racers...
... hey, you know Taylor Sh.... or Clayton Ger... (names truncated to protect the innocent)... they are a couple SVHS students who are way into Jr. Cross, close friends of my kid... I tried really hard to get my kid into riding, he just didn't want to do it. I invited Taylor along on one our excursions which included the sea cliff part of Wilder about 4-5 years ago (when they were in 5th grade I think?) and he was totally blown away he could ride a bike that far, and got way into it. Before that he'd never ridden anywhere.

yeah, re the illegal campers, thats a real mess.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #1663
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
That's kinda cute... we passed some kids pushing their bikes up a big hill this past weekend too... so cute

Quote:

Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #1664
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
That's kinda cute... we passed some kids pushing their bikes up a big hill this past weekend too... so cute
You obviously have no fucking clue whatcher talking about.

Smilie or no smilie!

Hardest thing I've done on two wheels. And that INCLUDES Madison races at the track!

M
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #1665
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You obviously have no fucking clue whatcher talking about.

Smilie or no smilie!

Hardest thing I've done on two wheels. And that INCLUDES Madison races at the track!

M
Cyclocross scares me. How much puking is normal for one of those events?

2.5 wks to my first metric...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: