nice nice nice!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #16697
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBryer
Lot of smart asses here. How about if you don't have any advice you just

I don't ride a KLR. I'd like to help stimulate the economy a bit.
Chill John.

This is a fantastic thread and very laid back with some people who know their stuff and are willing to share their knowledge.

Don't spoil it
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #16698
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Question Mobile AL Cyclists?

Looking for routes in your town. Traveling down from ATL for the weekend and bringing my road bike.

Found this - is it marketing or are these reasonable roads / trails to spin?

http://www.mobileunited.org/images/t...obile_Area.pdf

Other resource suggestions?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #16699
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,444
Congrads. One step at a time and keep making circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Found a cheap, POS Hybrid Schwinn today. Picked it up and took it for a spin - love it! I know it's not much, but it's mo' bettah than what I had and it'll get me started. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

I will say that I did 7 miles on it tonight and averaged 12mph and didn't work near as hard as I would have on my comfort bike. It's much lighter and has more speeds - 24.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #16700
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
we called them sewups in the 70s. i ran Clement Campionato del Mundo most of the time, and sometimes Criterium setas before they made decent 700c rims. god, the crits rode sweet, 250g complete tire, and about 120psi, phew. fly like a eagle. The delMundos lasted longer, a lot longer...
I once had a ref try and roll my clincher at tech. When I told him it was a clincher he argued with me. So I told him I'd give him $20 if he could roll it. he tore the callouses off one hand in his failed attempt.
In those days I had sponsorship and bought 10 Specialized silk cased folding clinchers at a time. They ran $65 or so normally and were good for about a thousand miles. The Clements could be pressured to 140 or something crazy.

The sew-ups I had on the trackbike and time trial wheels were nice, but I can't recall what they were. I'm thinking Clement, silk of some sort. Not campy I think. My friends who rode sew-ups were constantly amazed at how my clinchers rolled. The wheel tire and tube combo was always slightly heavier than a sew-up, but they rolled real nice and were pretty easy to repair. I used latex tubes all that time just like came in silk sew-ups. I always had great luck with those tubes. Lots of powder on them.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #16701
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
i still have an eclipse pannier. has the aluminum rod that fits in the channel on the eclipse rack system from circa 1980, not made in a long time. I also have an eclipse 'basket' (folding frame with nylon mesh). don;t have the other panneir or basket of the original sets

I'm thinking of installing Jandd hooks on them, and rigging a bungi for the bottom.
Oh man! I had Eclipse panniers on one of my first bikes, too, one of Trek's first models (can't remember the number). I bought the bike and the panniers in 1980.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #16702
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I think I may still have an old Eclipse bar bag somewhere at home. The briefcases I used in college I have on the mountain bike are Kirkland Tour Packs from about 1981-82 or so? I had several Eclipse tank bags. The last one I liked a lot, but I have no memory of where it got to.
Smugmug
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #16703
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I think I may still have an old Eclipse bar bag somewhere at home. The briefcases I used in college I have on the mountain bike are Kirkland Tour Packs from about 1981-82 or so? I had several Eclipse tank bags. The last one I liked a lot, but I have no memory of where it got to.
i had an eclipse bar bag too... was big enough to hold a sixpack of longnecks...
had a complex U-shaped bar that fit over the gooseneck-handlebar intersection, the bag slipped onto this, then had two elastics that ran down to some loops screwed into the fork tip eyelets.

apparenlty Eclipse decided motorcycle luggage was more lucrative and got out of the bike biz some time in the later 80s. now, AFAIK, they are defunct.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #16704
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
i had an eclipse bar bag too... was big enough to hold a sixpack of longnecks...
had a complex U-shaped bar that fit over the gooseneck-handlebar intersection, the bag slipped onto this, then had two elastics that ran down to some loops screwed into the fork tip eyelets.

apparenlty Eclipse decided motorcycle luggage was more lucrative and got out of the bike biz some time in the later 80s. now, AFAIK, they are defunct.
Ah, and that's why I lost track of them. I switched to BMW specific bags when the goofy multivario bags came out in the 80's and I had easy access to them masquerading as a BMW mechanic...
Smugmug
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #16705
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,953
Road Shoe with SPD Cleats?

I finally replaced my 10+ year old Diadora mtb shoes with a new pair of Lake road shoes in wide width. I like SPD pedals and use them for everything i.e. road, mountain, spin class in winter. Anyway, they are drilled for SPD style cleats and included some metal mtb pedal plates to install in the soles. Am I supposed to cut through the layer beneath the insoles to install the plates? That part of the shoe is hard to get to because the tongue is held in place by that fancy new BOA lacing setup. BTW, these feel sweet on my feet... on the living room carpet.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #16706
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Found a cheap, POS Hybrid Schwinn today. Picked it up and took it for a spin - love it! I know it's not much, but it's mo' bettah than what I had and it'll get me started. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

I will say that I did 7 miles on it tonight and averaged 12mph and didn't work near as hard as I would have on my comfort bike. It's much lighter and has more speeds - 24.
Well ya got pics yet or what?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #16707
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I finally replaced my 10+ year old Diadora mtb shoes with a new pair of Lake road shoes in wide width. I like SPD pedals and use them for everything i.e. road, mountain, spin class in winter. Anyway, they are drilled for SPD style cleats and included some metal mtb pedal plates to install in the soles. Am I supposed to cut through the layer beneath the insoles to install the plates? That part of the shoe is hard to get to because the tongue is held in place by that fancy new BOA lacing setup. BTW, these feel sweet on my feet... on the living room carpet.
had to poke around their webpile to find FAQ #5 here...
http://www.lakecycling.com/faq.php
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #16708
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Well ya got pics yet or what?
Soon, soon!!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #16709