Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #16921
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Re: belt drive

WANT!!!

I've tooled around in front of the LBS on a Norco Vesta. I was really taken with how smooth and quiet the drivetrain was. Like a Prius in a parking lot quiet. Not having to dink around with chain maintenance is another biggie for me.
I was kind of geeked on belt drive for a while too.

Until I did some research.

Pray to god you never have to do a gearing change, because even if you can afford all the parts(Hell, or even find them!), there's not necessarily a cog/belt combination that will fit your frame that will yield the gearing you want. Remember- you can't just pop a couple links off a chain.

And turns out, it's anything but maintenance free. Reading reviews, it would seem that the gap between too loose and too tight is way too small on belt drive bikes, so you constantly need to adjust belt tension.

If the parts become more widely available at reasonable prices, I'll be first in line, but until then....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #16922
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I was kind of geeked on belt drive for a while too.

Until I did some research.

Pray to god you never have to do a gearing change, because even if you can afford all the parts(Hell, or even find them!), there's not necessarily a cog/belt combination that will fit your frame that will yield the gearing you want. Remember- you can't just pop a couple links off a chain.

And turns out, it's anything but maintenance free. Reading reviews, it would seem that the gap between too loose and too tight is way too small on belt drive bikes, so you constantly need to adjust belt tension.

If the parts become more widely available at reasonable prices, I'll be first in line, but until then....
That is why I want a belt drive bike that has gears. It would be less likely that I would have to change the gearing. Parts are available and in stock through QBP.

That is an interesting point about the belt tension. I have sold a couple belt driven bikes through the shop and I have not had any comments about belt tension from the customers who are riding them. Do you have any links to these reviews?
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #16923
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,363
I scored a Specialized Hard Rock yesterday off CL. Pretty fair shape and pretty cheap. Perfect for a KLR rider.

The front derailleur sticks a bit. I'll tend to that today and see how it does.

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #16924
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
That is why I want a belt drive bike that has gears. It would be less likely that I would have to change the gearing. Parts are available and in stock through QBP.

That is an interesting point about the belt tension. I have sold a couple belt driven bikes through the shop and I have not had any comments about belt tension from the customers who are riding them. Do you have any links to these reviews?

Hey, cool- they are!

But holee sheeeit.... Wow. That's expensive. $100+ for a rear cog?! Ouch.

Don't have any links handy, but I was really looking hard at the Norco single speed 29er with belt drive, so might have been a review of that. But I was reading pretty much any belt drive review I came across.

If they can get the price closer to that of a chain- I'll bite. But man, it's not like straight chainline bikes such as single speeds and geared hubs are all that maintenance intensive.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #16925
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Problem: every two or three rides, the headset on my MTB requires tightening (conventional threadless, suspension fork w/alloy steerer). I loosen the stem bolts, tighten the adjuster bolt then retighten the stem bolts.

Today, I took the stem and spacers off and cleaned the steerer tube and ID of the stem to remove any grease/lube. I also knocked the star-fangled nut deeper into the steerer. I think my problem is that the nut is working it's way out of the steerer.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/hea...80_124crx.aspx

I don't know if you can get them any more or not. I have one on my old Rocky Mountain.

If you're a weight geek, they're heavy. But, they're bomb proof, always work, and are easy to install.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #16926
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #16927
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
I think I need one of these bikes : http://civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/..._alfine/#build

Disc brakes, Belt drive, 8 speed, drop bars with a sti shifter. My pants are fitting tighter now.
Before I bought my Tricross, I was looking at the Bryant-Rival. It's a gorgeous bike. It has discs and all the needed eyelets for travel. The LBS made some arguments against it, but, that still doesn't stop me from thinking about the bike.

Civia's customer service was excellent in answering my questions.

My closest, stocking dealer is 3-1/2 hours away. And, they only occasionally have one on the floor. I definitely wanted to ride one, before dropping that kind of money.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #16928
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
I think I need one of these bikes : http://civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/..._alfine/#build

Disc brakes, Belt drive, 8 speed, drop bars with a sti shifter. My pants are fitting tighter now.

I am not sure if I should pull the trigger on this or wait for the 11 speed version. The 11 speed hub will have over 400% gearing range and the 8 speed has a 300% range. It could be a while till a 11 speed version is available. There is a company in Gremany that makes the shifters. Who know how long till they make an 11 speed version.
Or the 14 speed Rohloff hub!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #16929
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,363
Who is a good online parts supplier for bike parts?

I tried to fix the front left shifter and had a little problem. Yes, it now is worse.

I may have to get some other stuff, too. Not quite as good shape as I thought it was.

In other words, I didn't look it over closely enough.

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #16930
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot

I tried to fix the front left shifter and had a little problem. Yes, it now is worse.

I may have to get some other stuff, too. Not quite as good shape as I thought it was.

http://www.lickbike.com/

my favorite.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #16931
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,975
Quote:

www.jensonusa.com has done me right. they got a really deep stock. only pain is small orders, there's like a minimum $7 S&H for a USPS Priority Mail box.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #16932
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:

There are lots of good suppliers - I like to check a couple of search engines:

http://www.qbike.com/

http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/

They both check prices at multiple stores, but different ones.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #16933
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,544
I joined Team Performance and order or buy all my "stuff" there. Shipping is free over $150 or if I go to their store. Been real happy so far.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #16934
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
I'll throw in www.pricepoint.com .
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #16935
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Need some MTB help. I love my Anthem 1, but, am getting beat to death on tree roots and ruts. The bike wasn't designed for that kind of riding. So, I'm looking at upgrading to longer travel, 29er, and 2X10 gearing. I'm looking at a '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er.

My concern is the "brain" rear shock. Is it reliable? Is it a gimmick?

I've looked at a ton of sites, but, can't find any other bikes that meet my requirements and be under $4K. Thoughts/suggestions?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: