Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #16996
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I can ride to the beach form my garage or up and over what do a good job of passing as mountains here.

River trail is well maintained and perfect for a hard paved workout. The trails are brutal.

I have this issue with gravity and dirt...
What happened to ATGATT ??

Ouch

hope you heal up real soon!!
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #16997
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020

If I do participate in group rides, I take my scooter:

Got anymore pictures of this rig? That's the neatest rack system I've seen yet.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #16998
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Got anymore pictures of this rig? That's the neatest rack system I've seen yet.
IIRC there's a whole thread on em somewhere around here.

Steverino's made one for his Airhead GS too.

For me, its always been 'an around to it' cause I can't decide which way I wanna do it. Fork mount or BB mount or side mount or... I get all confused an shit.

M
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #16999
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
For me, its always been 'an around to it' cause I can't decide which way I wanna do it. Fork mount or BB mount or side mount or... I get all confused an shit.
I've been thinking about it, too. My Tiger is so dang tall and has a short passenger/rack area. Putting a measuring tape to the Triumph makes it seem like either bike will be way over my head and at least 2' off the back. IDK.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #17000
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
IIRC there's a whole thread on em somewhere around here.

Steverino's made one for his Airhead GS too.

M
I've seen that thread. This mount is far above the others I've seen. Very compact and tidy. I like it a lot.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #17001
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
slowly coming together.....

Looks like I'll do my first bikepacking trip on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving Day - Nov. 26 & 27.

Here's the route:

If anyone wants to join me, I'd love the company. It's two days, about 70-miles and I don't plan to get in a rush.

The scenery should be beautiful - from the site linked above:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #17002
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Looks like an awesome trip, Gerry!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #17003
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
I've been thinking about it, too. My Tiger is so dang tall and has a short passenger/rack area. Putting a measuring tape to the Triumph makes it seem like either bike will be way over my head and at least 2' off the back. IDK.
2' OTB is better than hitting you in the head.

I was thinkin about something similar to the mount on the scooter.

...or using some of my Yak rack parts and just doing a long tray mount. I'd think you'd prolly need to support the rear end of the tray tho. That's where I'm

M
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #17004
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,484
No need for long tray

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #17005
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
No need for long tray

I was thinkin of making something like that too. See you beat me to it.

Got plans?

M
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #17006
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No need for long tray

This is the route I'm looking at. Though, I need to be able carry my 'cross or MTB. How are you securing the BB?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #17007
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
This is the route I'm looking at. Though, I need to be able carry my 'cross or MTB. How are you securing the BB?
Something as simple as a toe strap would work. Its not like that's doing anything but holding the bike in one place. The fork mount is doing all the work.

M
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #17008
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Something as simple as a toe strap would work. Its not like that's doing anything but holding the bike in one place. The fork mount is doing all the work.

M
Maybe a cradle under the bottom bracket with a strap around the base of the downtube or the chainstays? in addition to the fork mount, of course. I'd think you'd want the frame very secure so it wont get loose side to side or anything.

plan B would be where you leave teh back wheel in, and use the little short wheel holder like yakima Boa, then you only need a fork to hold the front wheel

actually, more I think about it, more I like the idea. the Boa rear wheel holder could be a little forward of the rear axle, attached to a loop that stuck off the back of the motorcycle rack. the standard yakima rail clamp fits around almost anyting, square or round.

pierce screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 10:44 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #17009
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Maybe a cradle under the bottom bracket with a strap around the base of the downtube or the chainstays? in addition to the fork mount, of course. I'd think you'd want the frame very secure so it wont get loose side to side or anything.

plan B would be where you leave teh back wheel in, and use the little short wheel holder like yakima Boa, then you only need a fork to hold the front wheel
The problem with plan B is that you've got to have some kind of support all the way out there. If you just support the BB, you have less material and support needed. Supporting the bike's rear wheel would require extra strength, as the weight will be leveraged. Plus, I'd have to take the rack off after each use because of it's amount of extention. A BB holder could be left on the bike all the time.

I'm thinking of supporting the BB with a skidplate looking platform coated in plasti-dip. On the underside of the skidplate, weld a couple threaded bungs that'll be tightened down with wing screws inserted, from underneath, through a slot in the main platform, to allow the skidplate to be adjusted fore/aft. Some of the hang-type bicycle racks use a rubber strap, for securement, over the frame tubes. They simply slip over nubs on the rack. I could use bolts tacked to the underside of the skidplate as the nubs.

My Tiger has factory bags, so I'll utilize the mountings for the front loop. I'll just need to design a main platform that'll run from the forward loop, under the rear grab handle (that has two threaded holes underneath), and out the rear.

My friend has a fab shop with a laser cutter, CNC brake, etc. This is definitely possible. I just need to make an appointment for his time, borrow another friend's trailer, and load up both bicycles and Tiger.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #17010
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
The problem with plan B is that you've got to have some kind of support all the way out there. If you just support the BB, you have less material and support needed. Supporting the bike's rear wheel would require extra strength, as the weight will be leveraged. Plus, I'd have to take the rack off after each use because of it's amount of extention. A BB holder could be left on the bike all the time..
my mental picture was a rectangular U shape of the right diameter tubing that would hold the clamp for the Boa's rear wheel holder on the short middle part of said U, this U would be inserted into some clamps on the rack deck so it could be readily removed. also, the boa can be pivoted several inches forward/backward for different wheelbase bikes. this would be harder with a BB clamp, even if thats only half the wheelbase (fork to BB distance).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: