User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #17056
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,298
It is a do whatever you want it to bike !
Finally got a flat last night. My first flat change with disc brakes. Couldn't find whatever poked through but there was a hissing noise and mushiness. Maybe time to throw a set of more road oriented tires on, or not .? Sucked as it happened at 7.8 miles just as I was getting good and warmed up. Finished up with 28.5 miles total.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #17057
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Oooo... Looks like Surly is doing a complete Pug this year as well. And some new rims.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=648722

http://surlybikes.com/blog/

Now if only there were more than two tire choices....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #17058
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Does that matter? IDK.

I sure like the atmosphere of Salsa's and Surly's blogs. Seems like a progressive, fun place (QBP) to work.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #17059
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Does that matter? IDK.
At about $100 each, I'd love to see some competition....

Looks like I might be SOL for a fatbike this year. I guess the Mukluk complete is pretty much back-ordered through spring.

Sounds like the Pugs complete is going be priced *higher* than the Mukluk to cash in on this a bit. Word is that the Mukluk price will be going up soon too with this much demand.

Waiting to see the build spec on the Pugs. Not a huge fan off the offset build on the wheels, but 135mm hubs appeal to my inner cheap bastard.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #17060
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Oooo... Looks like Surly is doing a complete Pug this year as well. And some new rims.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=648722

http://surlybikes.com/blog/

I know of Endomorphs, Larrys and Spyders - so that's (wow) THREE!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #17061
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
At about $100 each, I'd love to see some competition....
I didn't think it was the tread design, as none of them have much lug. More about flotation, I guess.

Quote:
Looks like I might be SOL for a fatbike this year. I guess the Mukluk complete is pretty much back-ordered through spring.
Join the list, as I have with my new MTB. I checked, last Tuesday, and they had them in the whse. By Friday, they were all gone. I shouldn't have waited, but, just wasn't 100% sure on pulling the trigger. Sucks, I know.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #17062
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
Quote:
Yeah, I'm coming around on the Fargo concept too. I bought a 29er for bikepacking duty this spring, but it's proven to be less then ideal fitwise- although it's a killer singletrack machine.

While looking at bike geometry of bikes that work and those that don't, it's become clear to me the niche the Fargo was meant to fill.

While I initially thought of it as something of a "do it all" bike, it seems it's more of a "do something new" bike.
I'm in the process of outfitting mine for backpacking. I ordered a frame pack from Eric Parsons in Alaska along with a harness for the handlebars and a "gastank" that sits on top tube.

Mine will be similar to this one but w/o the seat bag:

I'll retain my rear rack and top case for now instead. I'm not necessarily going for the lightest weight but will use items like a penny stove for heating water and to keep the load somewhat light.

Hopefully, these items will arrive before my Thanksgiving trip.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #17063
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
So I went out on the same loop that did in my knee on Sat. THIS time, I caught up to a dood on a Rivendell and followed him to the bike path that runs behind Boulder. He turned left and I kept going straight. Ran across 2 doods that looked like they knew where they were going, so I hopped on their wheels till it was time to turn right onto Lookout Rd.

I kept feeling a little low in the saddle, so about 1:45 in, I stopped and raised my saddle a mm or so and skootched it forward a coupla mm. No more achey knees.

My bum still hurt tho. 2+ hours of toodling along on old shorts = teh suck. I need a few (like 4) pair of new bibs here soon. I missed 2:30 by 4min. I guess that's OK. Felt good most of the way too! I still need to work on my hills tho. Toss out a parachute whenever the road points up. I've told people 'if the biggest hill I hafta climb again is the banking on the track, I'll be a happy camper.' They never do believe me. I'm NOT built to go up hills. I'm built to go from 50kph to 70+kph RIGHT NOW. S'where I'm best.

I'm playing UW Hockey Wed nite, then down to ABQ Thurs to sell the MC. So this is gonna be a day off. First in a bit!

M
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #17064
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,422
End of an era for a classic Paramount

I guess it could be fixed for posterity but I don't think it could ever be an "A" bike again

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #17065
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
That's the nice thing about lugged bikes. Get that fixed and it'll be as good as or better'n new! One of us runs Echelon (he's posted in this thread) PM him an see what he'd charge. Or talk to Waterford. Either way,a Paramount's too good to give up on!

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
End of an era for a classic Paramount

I guess it could be fixed for posterity but I don't think it could ever be an "A" bike again
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #17066
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
Wow -

If that were my bike, I'd have it repaired and restored. Then, I'd hang it in a place of honor in my living room.

When I was stationed at Lackland, I hung out at the local Schwinn shops. There were twins - each managed a different shop - who rode a Paramount tandem - custom built. We did a week-long 600 mile Hill Country tour in 1979 - the twins were the only ones (at least back then) I had even seen who could both stand up and crank up the hills.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #17067
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,325
send It To Meeeeeee!!!!!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #17068
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
the twins were the only ones (at least back then) I had even seen who could both stand up and crank up the hills.
That's what I was doing when it went 'pop'

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #17069
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
That's the nice thing about lugged bikes. Get that fixed and it'll be as good as or better'n new! One of us runs Echelon (he's posted in this thread) PM him an see what he'd charge. Or talk to Waterford. Either way,a Paramount's too good to give up on!

M
I did a similar thing to my Motobecane. Frame builder near me in Denver milled the offending tube out and put a nice Italian Columbus tube back in it's place for not too much.

YMMV.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #17070
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I did a similar thing to my Motobecane. Frame builder near me in Denver milled the offending tube out and put a nice Italian Columbus tube back in it's place for not too much.

YMMV.
a vintage Paramount is likely double butted Reynolds 531 or Columbus, depending on the age.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: