User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #1696
Mtncrzr
Just Kidding, not really

Oddometer: 1,213
12 miles a day on a Cannondale mtn bike. I can make up and down 4 huge hills at Horsetooth in an hour. Going down at 43mph!!! Going up at 6mph.

Who says that I'm addicted to adrenaline...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #1697
MNwilly
RIP, my friend...

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
29"-er?
No, not yet.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #1698
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,486
Sunday check in =

Haven't rode in 5 days, gonna do a spirited 20miler today.

Lack of cold weather gear this week. Ordered a pair of tights and a set of leg warmers to wear with shorts.

BURN SOME FAT BABY!!!!
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #1699
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,407
Saturday ride
Took the Schuyilkill trail to Manayunk ... 35 miles roundtrip of flat, free flow, trafficless trail at 15 mph average on my fixed gear bike.

The fall is my favourite season ... less bikers ... more riding relaxation.

Getting out of riding shape is hard ... used to be 20 miles per hour.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #1700
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Lifecycle Mon, Wed & Friday ... 1.3 hours mt. bike Sat and 1.45 hours mt. bike this morning I love fall...
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #1701
dasrotrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
When I was a kid I was a serious cyclist, at least for a few yrs. Then I went to running for a good 5 yrs, but that faded out as my lower back became worse (from two accidents, one car, one motorcycle),

So I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. I have a very good Klein mountain bike but I find it's not geared for city use (geared too low), and even with the thinnest hybrid tires, it still whirs as I'm moving along.

I'm thinking of getting a decent road bike, but not sure what "type".

I seem to be drawn to the time trial style bike, because of the handlebars/shifter/elbow pads. They seem great for cranking hard, cardio, etc, but they also seem too "trick" with the small wheelbase..
With similar goals to yours, I just bought a hybred bike, the Cannondale 400 Adventure. It has pretty narrow tires, a more upright riding stance. I don't like riding with much pressure on my hands. Looking for a bike to ride on pavement, and the upright riding position, this bike seemed to be a good fit for me. There is front suspension and the gearing is pretty good for comfortable cruising at 14 mph at my level of (currently poor) conditioning.

DasRotRad
dasrotrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #1702
Sandstuck
Banned

Oddometer: 4,300
Try bikesdirect.com

I like to support the local bike shop(lbs), but the prices of many corporate bikes are just outlandish. They spend an incredible amount of money on marketing. I've been riding too many years to be sucked in by glossy brochures and labels. Some lbs's custom build bikes for their customers but the low volume increases prices.

Take a look at what you can get at bikesdirect.com. You can save a lot of money. Take a real hard look at the componentry and compare to the mainstream mfg's. I just bought one of their road bikes two months ago. It arrived in two days, and just needed 20 minutes of minor assembly. I have put just over 1000 miles on it and love it, no problems.

No bike shop will believe that you got such a great deal. My lbs was shocked when I rode it in and told them the price. They saw the quality and were pissed off that they had personally spent twice as much for similar bikes with lesser quality components.

No, I don't work for bikesdirect, but I am pumped that I got a great bike for great deal. Sometimes research pays off. Btw, I make sure that I buy my other sundries from the lbs's. I love the mom and pop's, but I have to eat too.

Live to ride, ride to live!........just don't go broke doing it!
Sandstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #1703
MNwilly
RIP, my friend...

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstuck
Try bikesdirect.com

I like to support the local bike shop(lbs), but the prices of many corporate bikes are just outlandish. They spend an incredible amount of money on marketing. I've been riding too many years to be sucked in by glossy brochures and labels. Some lbs's custom build bikes for their customers but the low volume increases prices.

Take a look at what you can get at bikesdirect.com. You can save a lot of money. Take a real hard look at the componentry and compare to the mainstream mfg's. I just bought one of their road bikes two months ago. It arrived in two days, and just needed 20 minutes of minor assembly. I have put just over 1000 miles on it and love it, no problems.

No bike shop will believe that you got such a great deal. My lbs was shocked when I rode it in and told them the price. They saw the quality and were pissed off that they had personally spent twice as much for similar bikes with lesser quality components.

No, I don't work for bikesdirect, but I am pumped that I got a great bike for great deal. Sometimes research pays off. Btw, I make sure that I buy my other sundries from the lbs's. I love the mom and pop's, but I have to eat too.

Live to ride, ride to live!........just don't go broke doing it!
And when the local bike shop gives you 30% off everything just for buying from them, not to mention great service. How much is that worth? I'll always take service over price.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #1704
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Last ride of the year, for me anyway. Not a bad day either.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #1705
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Whatever.... Ponytail...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #1706
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
Whatever.... Ponytail...
Oh ya, Lil Miss Poopie pants.

hey where are you in this pic?

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #1707
Sandstuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwilly
And when the local bike shop gives you 30% off everything just for buying from them, not to mention great service. How much is that worth? I'll always take service over price.

Just my 2 cents.
30% doesn't cut it when their bikes cost over 1000 dollars more than what you can get elsewhere. Would you pay twice as much for a motorcycle in order to pay mfg costs such as marketing? I think not.

Nice thought, though. Especially if we are talking just a few bucks.

Lbs's are great for the uninformed and those who are either unwilling or unskilled to work on their own bikes. This is pretty simple mechanics we are talking about. Believe me, they do laugh at customers who come in not knowing how to fix a flat tire.

I'll spend more for tubes, tires etc...from the lbs to show my support. Remember we are talking bicycles not motorcycles.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #1708
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo
Oh ya, Lil Miss Poopie pants.

hey where are you in this pic?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #1709
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstuck
30% doesn't cut it when their bikes cost over 1000 dollars more than what you can get elsewhere. Would you pay twice as much for a motorcycle in order to pay mfg costs such as marketing? I think not.

Nice thought, though. Especially if we are talking just a few bucks.

Lbs's are great for the uninformed and those who are either unwilling or unskilled to work on their own bikes. This is pretty simple mechanics we are talking about. Believe me, they do laugh at customers who come in not knowing how to fix a flat tire.

I'll spend more for tubes, tires etc...from the lbs to show my support. Remember we are talking bicycles not motorcycles.
I've been riding for 25 years and LOVE my local bike shop and I pay them to work on my bike and sell me stuff I like to pay for services I pay to have my house cleaned , I pay to have my car worked on, my car washed, motorcycles repaired, my computers set up and fixed, massages, I pay people to prepare my food and for blow jobs

I could save a few bucks if I did all the above services myself but I pay for all these because I'm better off spending my time making more $$$ (except for the blow jobs... I pay for them cause I can't blow myself - don't ask me how I know this)
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #1710
Sandstuck
Banned

Self-reliance obviously doesn't seem to be a trait that you desire. To each his own.

Some of us would rather be able to make repairs when on the road. I usually ride at least 50 miles per ride. If I couln't make repairs on the road I would never be able to get home in order to go to work.

The more money in, more money out, and the spend more - to make more reasoning is good for some, but not all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: