User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #17296
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,937
Got another question. I'm finding most tubes to be 1.95-2.2 or 2.5-2.7. If I get a 2.3 (although some say they're more like 2.1's), can I run 1.95-2.2's? I'm looking to get thick tubes. Maybe Slime (Thorn resistant) which a friend recommended.

And, yes, I'm keeping the stock brakes and brifters and freshening them up with new pads.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #17297
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
Had no ideal someone made a shaft drive bike..Things you find on CL.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1976686387.html
there have been attempts since the first bicycles in the 19th century to do a shaft drive bike with bevel gears. I remember seeing pre-war fat tire cruisers with this wretched stamped bevel gear crank and a rusty drive shaft that was threaded through the tanker soft steel chain stay.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #17298
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
wow, your are old.

Thanks for the information. Didn't know.

Joc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
there have been attempts since the first bicycles in the 19th century to do a shaft drive bike with bevel gears. I remember seeing pre-war fat tire cruisers with this wretched stamped bevel gear crank and a rusty drive shaft that was threaded through the tanker soft steel chain stay.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #17299
ladygodiva
Gnocca

Oddometer: 13,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
Guilty.

I don't have time to write much as I'm wrapping up installing a new garage door opener, but I'll leave it at

one starts to form some opinions about what is what somewhere in the midst of a gravel century.

Great riding with you again, Askel. I can't quite think coherently about Almanzo 2011, but the idea is wafting about in my attic.

You guys are insane, but you rock! It was a blast waiting for you with cowbells at the finish.

I haven't had a chance to get the few pics I took off the camera but will try tonight.

Cheers you crazies!

Ps @ Askel: don't tell him I told you but ... Bimble is hooked

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" Lessing

"The civilized people have lost the aptitude of stillness, and must take lessons in silence from the wild." Isak Dinesen aka Karen Blixen

"He who makes a beast of himself get's rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #17300
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
Had no ideal someone made a shaft drive bike..Things you find on CL.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1976686387.html
I've seen an 1890's-1900's shaftdrive bicycle at The Old Spokes home in Burlington, VT. I didn't know anybody was doing a modern version. That looks like a really nice bike, for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Got another question. I'm finding most tubes to be 1.95-2.2 or 2.5-2.7. If I get a 2.3 (although some say they're more like 2.1's), can I run 1.95-2.2's? I'm looking to get thick tubes. Maybe Slime (Thorn resistant) which a friend recommended.
Run the 1.95-2.2 size in a 2.3. More than likely, the tire casing isn't an actual 2.3", but, the tread hangs over. When you run a grossly undersized tube, the tube's rubber gets thinner as it expands to the tire's size. Grossly oversized tubes in tires cause bunching and wrinkle the tube. So long as you're close on sizing, you'll be good.

Don't run Slime in your tubes. When you do get a flat, you'll have the crap all over the place when you go to change the tube, on the roadside. Also, if you try to repair that tube, it's likely that stuff will keep oozing out of the tube as you're trying to patch it. Keep it simple with a basic tube.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #17301
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Don't run Slime in your tubes. When you do get a flat, you'll have the crap all over the place when you go to change the tube, on the roadside. Also, if you try to repair that tube, it's likely that stuff will keep oozing out of the tube as you're trying to patch it. Keep it simple with a basic tube.
Living in the land of thorns (southwestern desert) I can talk to this one. If you have thorns, you will need slime or some other sealant. HOWEVER! If you run slime in a standard weight tube, you will indeed have the mess described. The sealant does not plug holes in a normal thickness bicycle tube, it just keeps oozing and collecting in the tire. You will have to run a THORNPROOF tube WITH sealant to actually get the tire to survive w/o lots of flats and fixing of them.

I know that this approach freaks out the weight weenies, but it does work. I would typically go a full year riding 2-3 times a week - but when it finally did die, I would have to spend a 1/2 hour pulling thorns out of the tire so I could put in my spare (lightweight) tube and get home.

If you want to go lightweight, and yet still survive in thorn country - you'll have to go tubeless. This is basically replacing the tube with a rim strip and a latex based sealant - but it is an "enthusiast" kinda thing. It takes patience to learn how to set it up, and you need to be riding your bike regularly so the sealant doesn't set up in the tire.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #17302
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester
If you want to go lightweight, and yet still survive in thorn country - you'll have to go tubeless. This is basically replacing the tube with a rim strip and a latex based sealant - but it is an "enthusiast" kinda thing. It takes patience to learn how to set it up, and you need to be riding your bike regularly so the sealant doesn't set up in the tire.
Also, some rim and tire combos will be very difficult to seal when inflating, as a tubeless. Do some research on tubeless combos, before jumping in with both feet.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #17303
pierce
Aven'Tourer

the newer styles of thornproof tires are a pretty good compromise. as I said earlier, Specialized Armadillo, Conti Protek, etc etc.

we get those nasty goats-head thorns around here, they just snap off rather than punch through an Armadillo lined tire.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #17304
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Run the 1.95-2.2 size in a 2.3. More than likely, the tire casing isn't an actual 2.3", but, the tread hangs over. When you run a grossly undersized tube, the tube's rubber gets thinner as it expands to the tire's size. Grossly oversized tubes in tires cause bunching and wrinkle the tube. So long as you're close on sizing, you'll be good.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's a downside to running slime although I do have one spare conventional tube. Seems to be difficult to find thick tubes though. The ones that are readily available are the really cheap ones. I do have at least one good conventional tube that I carry as a spare under the seat. The reviews I've read on them seem to fall under two categories. Those that really hate them and those that really love them.

I was looking for some thick Maxxis DH tubes but they are impossible to find. I can find 2.5-2.7"s that are thick but I was worried about wrinkles.

The other option is to run liners and cheap tubes. I've done that in the past as well. I still have one old Stop Flat I found when I removed my tires. Not sure where the other one is.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #17305
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester
Living in the land of thorns (southwestern desert) I can talk to this one. If you have thorns, you will need slime or some other sealant. HOWEVER! If you run slime in a standard weight tube, you will indeed have the mess described. The sealant does not plug holes in a normal thickness bicycle tube, it just keeps oozing and collecting in the tire. You will have to run a THORNPROOF tube WITH sealant to actually get the tire to survive w/o lots of flats and fixing of them.

I know that this approach freaks out the weight weenies, but it does work. I would typically go a full year riding 2-3 times a week - but when it finally did die, I would have to spend a 1/2 hour pulling thorns out of the tire so I could put in my spare (lightweight) tube and get home.

We have goatheads which I tend to attract like moths to a flame.

I've looked at going tubeless BUT I''ll pass I think. It's a bit more involved then I want to do. Not to mention, I'd rather use new rims and not my old ones.

Like I mentioned earlier, I used to run liners way back when and never had issues. I see even still available, too. I figure with a thick tube, slime and a spare tube, I'd be OK.

The thorn-resistant tires would really limit my choices of tires too.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #17306
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy

And, yes, I'm keeping the stock brakes and brifters and freshening them up with new pads.

If you run 1.95 -2. 3 get the tubes to match, if you run too large of a tube in the tire,! you're gonna have a hard time getting them in the tire, and the tube isn't gonna sit in the tire right and you're gonna get pinch flats.you can always run a smaller tube in a larger tire, not the other way. ( just for you Gummie )
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #17307
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
That all depends on yer locality. Try that in Tucson or other parts of AZ and you won't get far. IIRC I picked out an even dozen goat-head thorns outta the ex-'s tire one ride. Slime's a necessity.

VA? no real need. Not nearly as many thorns and/or other sticky/pokey things.

I rode 1:45 Sunday. Cruised around one of the loops I've found. Had a good ride. First day back after 3 off the bike. Took yesterday off. Today's another 1:30

Went to a reef aquarium store on the way home from yet another job interview. Reef aquaria are like crack. Right now, I want another one so badly it almost hurts. Then I'll go ride the bicycle... Then the Loser... Too many hobbies that cost $$ and not enough $$. Last reef I had cost me the equivalent of an S-Works.

M
Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #17308
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
That all depends on yer locality. Try that in Tucson or other parts of AZ and you won't get far. IIRC I picked out an even dozen goat-head thorns outta the ex-'s tire one ride. Slime's a necessity.
i haven't had a goatshead thorn puncture one of my Armadillo tires, used to get a lot of those on plain tires... yeah, they are a little heavier than the same time without it, but so is slime.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #17309
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
i haven't had a goatshead thorn puncture one of my Armadillo tires, used to get a lot of those on plain tires... yeah, they are a little heavier than the same time without it, but so is slime.
I don't like the way Armadillos ride.

I have a Z-max and a Panaracer Fire XC on my bike. More better even with the slime.

M
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #17310
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,926
I did 8 miles today. I was really flying going away from home and just thought I was getting in better shape or something. On the way back I figured it all out. I had a tail wind on the way out, head wind on the way home. I was a gear or two lower on the way back. Still had fun, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: