Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #17341
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Haven't decided where I want my seat though. I'm usually standing or hanging off the back so the only time I'm sitting is if I'm tired or just cruising. Everyone seem to be +6ft as I always see their seats way up there.
um, in fact? i am 6' tall, heh. on my old unsuspended mountain bike, I'd usually stop and drop the seat about 3-4" when I got to the dirt so I could stand up on the rough stuff. for traveling any distance, I'd jack the seat back up to road height.

I used that bike for commuting for several years.

on my vintage 2001 full suspension beast, I leave the seat where it is, and stay on it and let the 100mm/4" air suspension take the hits, and just steer the bike over the top. i didn't ride the bike enough to be totally comfortable with bonzaiing over obstacles as A) I am a bit too heavy for the bike and B) the 'medium' frame is a bit too short (front to rear) for me.

on the new FSR bikes, like ducnut's new stumpie with the 2x10 gears, the seat post has a built in quick-adjust that you switch from the handlebars, and gives you three heights, low, medium, and high, with about 125mm/5" of difference, on the fly.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #17342
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Bar tape of questionable taste...

Retaped my bars over the weekend, the Park Tools website was a big help. Other than buying cheesy tape because it was on sale, it turned out pretty good. The original tape was black and starting to wear and seperate at the corners on the top of the bar. I wanted to add some contrast to the blackness, but I didn't want white tape because it shows dirt too easy, I thought this stuff might be a good compromise...at least it was cheap, and now that I know how to do it, it won't be a big deal to replace it again.

The bike's a 2005 CAAD8, Ultegra brakes, shifters, and deraileurs. I've put roughly 6k miles on it since I got it five years ago. It's on its third chain, second cassette, and probably the sixth set of tires. Cannondale really knows their stuff when it comes to aluminum. I've also got a Schwinn Supersport (also aluminum) that I rode for nearly eight years (until someone opened a car door in front of me), and there is no comparison, the C-dale has a magic carpet ride. I just wish they didn't move production overseas...

I pretty much just lurk in this thread, but sometimes I think it may be the best thread on this whole site. A lot of good info and good attitudes to go along.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 07:26 PM
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #17343
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop
Retaped my bars over the weekend, the Park Tools website was a big help. Other than buying cheesy tape because it was on sale, it turned out pretty good. The original tape was black and starting to wear and seperate at the corners on the top of the bar. I wanted to add some contrast to the blackness, but I didn't want white tape because it shows dirt too easy, I thought this stuff might be a good compromise...at least it was cheap, and now that I know how to do it, it won't be a big deal to replace it again.

The bike's a 2005 CAAD8, Ultegra brakes, shifters, and deraileurs. I've put roughly 6k miles on it since I got it five years ago. It's on its third chain, second cassette, and probably the sixth set of tires. Cannondale really knows their stuff when it comes to aluminum. I've also got a Schwinn Supersport (also aluminum) that I rode for nearly eight years (until someone opened a car door in front of me), and there is no comparison, the C-dale has a magic carpet ride. I just wish they didn't move production overseas...
I pretty much just lurk in this thread, but sometimes I think it may be the best thread on this whole site. A lot of good info and good attitudes to go along.
Nice bike. There are a lot of C-dale detractors out there, but I'm not one of them- I think they were nice bikes. From what I hear, they're still nice bikes, though they're a different breed from the made in USA Al bikes. I ride a made in USA aluminum road bike too (Klein), and I think it's a great bike- smooth and responsive.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #17344
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Nice bike. There are a lot of C-dale detractors out there, but I'm not one of them- I think they were nice bikes. From what I hear, they're still nice bikes, though they're a different breed from the made in USA Al bikes. I ride a made in USA aluminum road bike too (Klein), and I think it's a great bike- smooth and responsive.
i tried a few Cannondales in the late 80s, early 90s... My general opinion was that they were very light, and rather harsh riding, like they were too stiff in the vertical axis, yet they felt a little whippy when pedaling hard, like they were too soft laterally... that and they loved doing things just differently enough that many parts such as headsets were totally incompatible with standard parts, yet most of their difference didn't really add any value other than the being different part.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #17345
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,415
Got another question. Since I've been riding around a bit more I'm gonna need a helmet. I had a Specialized white-foam-spandex/lycra cover job back in the early 90's that I used for one trip . (back then they would replace it if you wrecked.) Prior and after that I was san's helmet. Even if I stay off the roads, I think I'll be wanting a helmet. The problem is I don't want a road helmet. Honestly, I didn't really feel that safe wearing the one I had. Not enough protection if I happened to not fall on the top of my head. I see more kids wearing the old multi-sport helmets for BMX and urban riding. The only problem I see with them is venting and maybe getting hot in direct sun. Anyone ride with one or something other then a road style helmet? I've been looking at the Pro-Tec Ace and Cyphon's so far.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #17346
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
i tried a few Cannondales in the late 80s, early 90s... My general opinion was that they were very light, and rather harsh riding, like they were too stiff in the vertical axis, yet they felt a little whippy when pedaling hard, like they were too soft laterally... that and they loved doing things just differently enough that many parts such as headsets were totally incompatible with standard parts, yet most of their difference didn't really add any value other than the being different part.
Yeah, maybe that's where the bad rap came from. I rode a couple C-dale mt. bikes in the mid to late 90s. The headshok would be pretty stone age today, but in comparison to the other options, it seemed like a pretty strong contender, and it was a light, nice handling bike.

My Klein sometimes drives me crazy with non-standard parts- for example, I'd really love to switch to a compact 2x10 or 2x9, but options are pretty limited for the square BB cranks, and my bottom bracket has no threads for anything modern. I'm lucky I don't have to deal with the headset- a previous owner took care of that.

The interesting thing that I see is that bike companies are now starting to come around to using technologies that look a lot like stuff that Klein and C-dale were doing in the old days- oversize press in BBs, headsets with larger bottom bearings, etc.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #17347
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Got another question. Since I've been riding around a bit more I'm gonna need a helmet. I had a Specialized white-foam-spandex/lycra cover job back in the early 90's that I used for one trip . (back then they would replace it if you wrecked.) Prior and after that I was san's helmet. Even if I stay off the roads, I think I'll be wanting a helmet. The problem is I don't want a road helmet. Honestly, I didn't really feel that safe wearing the one I had. Not enough protection if I happened to not fall on the top of my head. I see more kids wearing the old multi-sport helmets for BMX and urban riding. The only problem I see with them is venting and maybe getting hot in direct sun. Anyone ride with one or something other then a road style helmet? I've been looking at the Pro-Tec Ace and Cyphon's so far.
actually? the modern road helmets are very protective. all that foam absorbs the shock of falling onto the ground/pavement from about 6' up, which is about all *any* helmet protects against. the goal is to reduce the G force shock of that 6' fall onto the ground to less than that will busts your brain inside your skull. the hard shell BMX helmets are probably LESS shock absorbing, although the shell might protect you against a stick or something.

the *hardcore* downhill MTB riders wear something that resembles a full face motocross helmet with a chinguard and everything. these helmets, at least the better ones, have sufficient shock absorbing for a pretty good knock.. however, I wouldn't want to wear one while riding up a long hill, you'd bake.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #17348
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
actually? the modern road helmets are very protective. all that foam absorbs the shock of falling onto the ground/pavement from about 6' up, which is about all *any* helmet protects against. the goal is to reduce the G force shock of that 6' fall onto the ground to less than that will busts your brain inside your skull. the hard shell BMX helmets are probably LESS shock absorbing, although the shell might protect you against a stick or something.

the *hardcore* downhill MTB riders wear something that resembles a full face motocross helmet with a chinguard and everything. these helmets, at least the better ones, have sufficient shock absorbing for a pretty good knock.. however, I wouldn't want to wear one while riding up a long hill, you'd bake.
From what I've been reading the commuter helmets are trending towards more protection in the back and sides. They are also rounder (like the multi-sports) as to not have hard points and use a plastic shell over the thinner poly or lexan road helmets usually have.

I was also reading that more vents means having to use denser foam while helmets with less vents can use softer foams since they don't rely on the foam for strength.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #17349
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Thanks. I've had two C-dale mountain bikes, one Trek Al mtn bike, and the Schwinn Al road bike over the last 20 years. I preferred the ride on the C-dales to the others. I test rode a carbon Specialized Roubaix, just briefly though, when I bought the CAAD 8 and i couldn't tell a significant (any) difference. I had a soft spot for Cannondale then, so that's what I went with. I'm still impressed with how nicely it rides every time I take it out. Losing the handmade in the USA claim does take away a lot of my loyalty to the brand though. I'm not sure what I'd get if I was in the market today.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #17350
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
except, sram says to replace the powerlink each time you remove it.

not sure why that is any better. I dunno, but for SS use, I think I'd want a more traditional chain with flat side plates, like a KMC Z-something. also, don't SS's like to run 1/8" chains instead of 3/32, with old school thicker sprockets?
I periodically take the chain off to clean and my Powerlink has never given me an issue after being re-used numerous times. It's better because it's simpler to use and you don't get any binding in the links.

I busted too many of the KMC z610 which led me to the PC-850. 1/8" is outdated old technology. 3/32" is where the chain companies have invested $$ and made their improvements. The better SS specific chainrings and cogs made today are all designed for use with a 3/32" chain.
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #17351
Jeffy
Hmm...

Well, after doing some searching I have found a few helmets which aren't just road helmets with bills and aren't BMX helmets. They have more protection in the back as well as the sides. They have a more rounded shape, too.

The Pro-Tec Cyphon, Giro Hex, Giro Zen, SixSixOne Recon, Fox Racing Flux and Specialized Vice.

The confusing bit is stuff like this; Specialized say it "Complies with one or more of the following safety standards for bicycle helmets: CPSC, SNELL B90A, CE and AS/NZS" but won't tell you which ones.

Anyone own one?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #17352
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
My Klein sometimes drives me crazy with non-standard parts- for example, I'd really love to switch to a compact 2x10 or 2x9, but options are pretty limited for the square BB cranks, and my bottom bracket has no threads for anything modern.
No threads needed.

Quote:
Well, after doing some searching I have found a few helmets which aren't just road helmets with bills and aren't BMX helmets. They have more protection in the back as well as the sides. They have a more rounded shape, too.

The Pro-Tec Cyphon, Giro Hex, Giro Zen, SixSixOne Recon, Fox Racing Flux and Specialized Vice.

The confusing bit is stuff like this; Specialized say it "Complies with one or more of the following safety standards for bicycle helmets: CPSC, SNELL B90A, CE and AS/NZS" but won't tell you which ones.

Anyone own one?
Look at the Specialized helmet specials. They have some similar to what you're looking at for a lot less money.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #17353
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
My Klein sometimes drives me crazy with non-standard parts- for example, I'd really love to switch to a compact 2x10 or 2x9, but options are pretty limited for the square BB cranks, and my bottom bracket has no threads for anything modern.
FSA makes a nice inexpensive 50:34 compact double for conventional square taper BB... I put one on my hybrid...

re: helmets, I've got the Specialized Max, its one of the few that fits my XL noggin. seems well enough made. Wasn't too expensive.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #17354
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Cool, but that's still square taper, so I don't see any reason that it's better than the press in bearing setup that is in there now.
Phil woods makes an outboard bearing set for the klein and gary fisher bikes with this setup- someday I'll buy one of those and get a new ultegra crank to go with. For now, I'm doing more riding than tinkering, and it rides great as is.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #17355
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,691
WOW!!! There is life outside Jommoma!!!

I didn't knew this place ... and more than 1000 posts wow!
I have to read them all?
Member #68,893
stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: