Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #17356
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,692
Guys,

Anybody can recommend a good MTB store in Atlanta downtown or near?

I'll be there in Nov 1st week (work) need to buy some stuff ...

Edit: Ok I googlemap it and seems like REI and Dick's are my destiny.
Member #68,893
stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.

Venteuri screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 07:48 PM
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #17357
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
Guys,

Anybody can recommend a good MTB store in Atlanta downtown or near?

I'll be there in Nov 1st week (work) need to buy some stuff ...

Edit: Ok I googlemap it and seems like REI and Dick's are my destiny.
I thought you were looking for a bike shop

http://www.outback-bikes.com/ Specialized
http://atlantacycling.com/ trek, gary fisher, etc.
http://bicyclesouth.com/ giant etc.

these all seem to be in decatur ?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #17358
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I thought you were looking for a bike shop

http://www.outback-bikes.com/ Specialized
http://atlantacycling.com/ trek, gary fisher, etc.
http://bicyclesouth.com/ giant etc.

these all seem to be in decatur ?
Yeah, skip the big box stores and find the small shops. If you go to a bike builders site you can usually find local stores if you plug in a zip code. So just look up a zip code from where you're going and plug it in.

Helmets: I think I'm either going to get a Fox Racing Flux or a SixSixOne Recon. They both get good reviews.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #17359
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Thank you guys, but I'm looking for accesories, apparel, etc. not the whole bike.

Camelback, gloves, helmet, shorts, shoes, etc.

My experience with small stores is that they don't always have the stuff on the shelf ...

Edit: Outback seems pretty good choice.
Member #68,893
stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #17360
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Yeah, skip the big box stores and find the small shops. If you go to a bike builders site you can usually find local stores if you plug in a zip code. So just look up a zip code from where you're going and plug it in.

Helmets: I think I'm either going to get a Fox Racing Flux or a SixSixOne Recon. They both get good reviews.
Thanks.... I read good reviews on GIRO XEN.
Member #68,893
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #17361
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Thank you guys, but I'm looking for accesories, apparel, etc. not the whole bike.

My experience with small stores is that they don't always have the stuff on the shelf ...

Edit: Outback seems pretty good choice.
I think it really depends on the store. Many do carry stock these days. Bikes unlike many other things really rely on the LBS. Some stores are more general like how bike stores used to be in the 80's. There are stores that concentrate more on MTB's while others that focus on Roadies. You might check yelp.com to see what people say about the stores as well.

Quote:
Thanks.... I read good reviews on GIRO XEN.
Yeah, it gets good reviews as well BUT it's also $30 more then either the Recon or the Flux.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #17362
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Cool, but that's still square taper, so I don't see any reason that it's better than the press in bearing setup that is in there now.
Phil woods makes an outboard bearing set for the klein and gary fisher bikes with this setup- someday I'll buy one of those and get a new ultegra crank to go with. For now, I'm doing more riding than tinkering, and it rides great as is.
I've got an old Klein also and have heard of the Phil Wood setup. Have you ever seen it in person, photo or diagram? I'm curious how it works? Last time I searched I couldn't find anything.

Justin
Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #17363
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocelica
I've got an old Klein also and have heard of the Phil Wood setup. Have you ever seen it in person, photo or diagram? I'm curious how it works? Last time I searched I couldn't find anything.

Justin
They're here, at the bottom of the page. I can imagine how they work, but I've never seen them in person. They would look just like the threaded version, but with a 35mm O.D. press fit cup. I think there's a note on their site that these work with shimano, and now truvativ and SRAM, cranks (I just noticed that these are now supported), but not Campy cranks.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #17364
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,298
crappy blackberry picture

was finishing up my ride last night and took a shot of the fargo.

Go Rays !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #17365
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
Still working on building my FS frame up...

Scored a 10 sp drive train from Taiwan. 2011 XT 10 speed on the way.

Rear shock off to Rock Shox for a warranty rebuild. Got to love ebay.

Bought a used Reba for the front suspension. At least this seller was honest and admitted it needed a rebuild. It is off to Rock Shox too. This won't likely be warranty, but we shall see. Got a heck of a deal on it so if it costs it will still be cheaper than all the others I saw for sale.

Beater wheel set ordered...

Now to work on brakes. Thinking of getting the BB7's for the hardtail and switching the hydros to the FS.

Then all I need to do is score a stem and bars and it will be ready to assemble.

Still cheaper to buy a new bike, but I am in it now and got to finish what I started.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #17366
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Still working on building my FS frame up...

Still cheaper to buy a new bike, but I am in it now and got to finish what I started.
Thanks for posting about this so I don't get any bad ideas.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #17367
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:

^^^ I'm with you on this one.

Last week, I rode the Tiger 120mi, to the St Louis REI store, to get a Camelback Mule NV and Lezyne "S" pump. Why? Because no one in either major metro area around me had either item. REI did. The thing I like about their store is the variety. Each rung had items ~2 deep. This means that on the ~25 rungs of Camelbacks, they had ~2 of every model and color available; not 10 of two models the way some places stock. That's the way to stock stuff. They have a ton of variety and good help at the STL store.

I order most everything off the internet, because few of the local bike shops stock anything. They always say "We can order it". So can I. And, have it shipped directly to me. Rather than spend a day driving around checking shops, I just internet what I need and save the time, gas, and effort. Once I get mt bike tools, I won't need the local shops for anything. May seem harsh, but, it is what it is.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #17368
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
I order most everything off the internet, because few of the local bike shops stock anything. They always say "We can order it". So can I. And, have it shipped directly to me. Rather than spend a day driving around checking shops, I just internet what I need and save the time, gas, and effort. Once I get mt bike tools, I won't need the local shops for anything. May seem harsh, but, it is what it is.
otoh, usually when a shop orders it, you don't pay shipping. especially on smaller orders, thats a lot ($7-10 shipping/handling on a $15 part )
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #17369
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
otoh, usually when a shop orders it, you don't pay shipping. especially on smaller orders, thats a lot ($7-10 shipping/handling on a $15 part )
On some bigger ticket items or items I can't find locally, I buy online. Like my tubes and tires. I bought them from Amazon and got free shipping since it was over $25. For small things like rim tape, I went local since it's a $4 item and even with tax is was still cheaper then paying shipping on a roll of tape. I can't see paying more for shipping then for the item itself.

Jeffy screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 05:04 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #17370
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,193
Nine miles today. I'm getting a bit bored riding close to home. I may have to start hauling the bike to the trails during the week.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: