Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #17371
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
if you have (or get) a chain punch, you can shorten the chain your existing sprockets and bypass the rear derailleur and make it into a temporary fixed gear.

first, open the chain, then wrap it around the middle sprocket in front, and try different sprockets in the rear til you find one where the chain links line up when you hold it tight. punch the excess chain off on that link, and put it back together as a fixed speed... you likely have something like a 22/34/42 front, so 34 and one of hte middle gears should hit the sweet spot. me, I'd remove the rear derailleur, and tape the cable back temporarily to try it out, but ou could probably leave it on there. also of course, set the front shifter on MIDDLE! and don't touch them.

now go ride it. do you like it? then find a 34 or so tooth front that will fit your crankset and a rear wheel with exactly whatever sprocket worked, and remove the shifters, derailleurs, and cabling....
Hmm, good idea! I'll probably end up buying the tools. I was playing around with the gearing earlier to see what I'd like. Although, the bigger issue is getting back into shape so I'm not tired after a spin around the block.

I should probably buy a helmet too. Something less wannabe-racer though. Maybe a Pro-tec Ace or Cyphon.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #17372
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
You mean like this one.

Yeah, I think so. I think it is a Long Haul Trucker. It had a heavy duty rack, so it looks a bit different. Good looking rig.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #17373
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
if you haven't punched bike chains before, play with an old one a few times, breaking and reconnecting it (at different pins). a clean well lubed chain is always easier to work on. or, mess with your old one before replacing it. its not at all hard with a little practice.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

A Park CT-3 is like $25 and all you need.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #17374
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
if you haven't punched bike chains before, play with an old one a few times, breaking and reconnecting it (at different pins). a clean well lubed chain is always easier to work on. or, mess with your old one before replacing it. its not at all hard with a little practice.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

A Park CT-3 is like $25 and all you need.
BBT-22 Bottom Bracket Tool...
HCW5 Lock Ring Spanner...
FR-5 Cassette Tool...
SW-0 Spoke Wrench...
CWP-7 Crank Puller...
SR-1 Chain Whip...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #17375
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,574
One caveat with breaking Shimano chains: you need a new special pin every time you break it AND never push out said special pin once its in.

With Sachs chains, its not an issue.

HTH

M
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #17376
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Yeah, I think so. I think it is a Long Haul Trucker. It had a heavy duty rack, so it looks a bit different. Good looking rig.
Yeah I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. It's heavy duty and heavy 30lbs before racks. It comes with 700x37 tire a hell of a lot more rolling resistance than my 700x23 tires on the other bike,also the other bike weighs 17lbs.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #17377
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
One caveat with breaking Shimano chains: you need a new special pin every time you break it AND never push out said special pin once its in.

With Sachs chains, its not an issue.

HTH

M
isn't that mostly the 9-10 speed chains ? We're stuck back here in 7 speed land
Old 10-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #17378
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Two things 1) Are those Honjo fenders, 2) What is that rack pack, looks like a hard case.

honjos yes.

Topeak rack which has a slot that'll fit either a normal tail bag or topeaks laptop carrier which is what you see in the picture. Not exactly a hardcase but stout.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #17379
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
isn't that mostly the 9-10 speed chains ? We're stuck back here in 7 speed land
I know it is true for shimano 8 speed chains, not sure about old 7 speed.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #17380
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Yeah I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. It's heavy duty and heavy 30lbs before racks. It comes with 700x37 tire a hell of a lot more rolling resistance than my 700x23 tires on the other bike,also the other bike weighs 17lbs.
You gotta' adapt a different attitude on the LHT. I went from a tri bike, as an everyday bike, to a 'cross bike with aerobars and fenders. Likewise, 23mm to 37mm tires. I no longer hurry and don't care. I enjoy the improved comfort and just the fact that I'm out riding. Before, I was always pushing for time.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #17381
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
I haven't ridden a bicycle in over 15 years. Took a bad spill as a kid when my bike slipped on some sand on the side of the road as I was taking a turn. Somehow ended up tangled inside the bike, with a bit of road rash on my legs and arm, and hit my head on a curb. Not quite sure how long I lay there, might have been a few seconds, or a few minutes, but I blacked out for a short time. (Missouri didn't have a helmet law, and so I didn't wear one. Lesson learned.) I walked home, using the bike as a crutch, and never really touched a bike again.

So a little more than a year ago, I found out I was getting orders to DC. I did was doing a lot of running then, so when I was researching where in the area I wanted to live, I looked for places that had a lot of capability for that. But what I found was that almost the whole Virginia side of the area is set up well for cycling, with a lot of off road paths, some on road lanes, and several scenic rides.

The idea interested me, so I looked into getting a bike, something I could use to both commute to the grocery store and for long distance cruises. Having not ridden in so long, and nothing more than a basic Huffy, I was a little confused on a lot of things, but ended up settling on the Cannondale Bad Boy, with disc brakes. I spent a little extra on things to get it set up for what I thought would make a good urban bike, and then it sat in my apartment for a year.

I'm only just now starting to take it out and getting used to riding it, but first impressions seem good. Rode it down to Subway the other day, bought a footlong and a bottled drink, stuck 'em in the saddlebags, and rode back home. Sandwich was still warm. Rode to the local Whole Foods and back, and did fine there too.

I'm still a little apprehensive while riding, especially after not riding for so long, but my confidence is starting to return.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #17382
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
So a little more than a year ago, I found out I was getting orders to DC. I did was doing a lot of running then, so when I was researching where in the area I wanted to live, I looked for places that had a lot of capability for that. But what I found was that almost the whole Virginia side of the area is set up well for cycling, with a lot of off road paths, some on road lanes, and several scenic rides.
There are a ton of places to ride in that area.

http://www.traillink.com/trailsearch...st=DC&ct=&sp=N

http://bicycling.trimbleoutdoors.com...0of%20columbia
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #17383
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Yep, and that's the main reason I'm trying to get into the whole cycling gig. It's excersize, and I get to see a lot of the area without going through gas, or putting miles on the SUV.

I'd even like to bike all the way to work, but I don't quite have my endurance built up yet for a 40 mile round trip commute.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #17384
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
You gotta' adapt a different attitude on the LHT. I went from a tri bike, as an everyday bike, to a 'cross bike with aerobars and fenders. Likewise, 23mm to 37mm tires. I no longer hurry and don't care. I enjoy the improved comfort and just the fact that I'm out riding. Before, I was always pushing for time.
Yes sir ! I switched to 28mm conti top contacts on the Pistola recently for comfort/flatproofness over speed. Speed is relative. I feel like I am flying when riding the fargo .
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #17385
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm

I'm only just now starting to take it out and getting used to riding it, but first impressions seem good. Rode it down to Subway the other day, bought a footlong and a bottled drink, stuck 'em in the saddlebags, and rode back home. Sandwich was still warm. Rode to the local Whole Foods and back, and did fine there too.

I'm still a little apprehensive while riding, especially after not riding for so long, but my confidence is starting to return.

Nice ride ! Have always liked the bad boys. Shopping via bicycle is a warm & fuzzy for sure. When leaving bike have proper lock(s), take any lights/computers off if leaving bike for a bit. People will steal every and anything.
Reflective or bright colored gear certainly helps one be seen. Saddle time will bring additional comfort and joy. Be safe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: