Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #17386
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
(I have an old pick up in my head )
Be sure to search the classified here. There's some really neat stuff listed......especially Land Rovers and Unimogs().
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #17387
Crocodile Tears
Anti-Semantic

Oddometer: 3,521
well, I finally took the plunge and went clipless. scored a nice pair of crankbros eggbeaters for $35 and a decent pair or mountain bike shoes on a half off sale at the LBS for $50 so I cant complain about prices. So far I havent had any clip in or out issues and havent fallen, so thats a plus I like them, but time will tell once I get out on the trails for the first time with em.

p.s. found out removing the stock jamis pedals is easier when you consider the reverse threads on the left side pedal....

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #17388
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi

What a useless vehicle!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #17389
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmaki
well, I finally took the plunge and went clipless. scored a nice pair of crankbros eggbeaters for $35 and a decent pair or mountain bike shoes on a half off sale at the LBS for $50 so I cant complain about prices. So far I havent had any clip in or out issues and havent fallen, so thats a plus I like them, but time will tell once I get out on the trails for the first time with em.
Setup the cleats at 15 degrees (cleat with dots on right shoe) and they'll release sooner. The less float, the less you have to move your heal to unclip and the less chance of falling trying to get unclipped. Also, I found that using the cleat shims allows my shoes to clip in easier.

Quote:
p.s. found out removing the stock jamis pedals is easier when you consider the reverse threads on the left side pedal....
Yep. Loosen to the rear, tighten toward the front. Same with bottom brackets.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #17390
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:

IMO I think you'll find alittle more control of the with clippless pedals. The eggbeaters are good in muddy conditions. Good Luck.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #17391
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,543
Fall weather jacket advice

Well this will be the first time with the weather turning cooler for me. I am looking for a jacket. I have looked at these three, but want to know if you folks know of one that I'm missing.

Specilized defect jacket
Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket
Perfromance Transformer Jacket

Any ones I should be looking at? Would like to keep it under a $150.00.

Thanks

Joc
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #17392
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
Well this will be the first time with the weather turning cooler for me. I am looking for a jacket. I have looked at these three, but want to know if you folks know of one that I'm missing.

Specilized defect jacket
Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket
Perfromance Transformer Jacket

Any ones I should be looking at? Would like to keep it under a $150.00.

Thanks

Joc
Apparel is so subjective, as people have different temp tolerances and areas of riding.

I have older versions of the Defect and Barrier jackets. I like both of them. Due to the severity of wind we get, I go baselayer, jersey, Deflect, and Barrier. I find the Deflect isn't all that great at stopping wind, so I throw on the Barrier over it. The Deflect is warmer, though. Also, I find that a plastic bag on my head, under a balaclava, works the best at stopping wind chill. Likewise, I bag my feet, and add socks, shoes, and winter covers.

I'd shop eBay and Qbike, for apparel. I don't buy off the rack. Leftover, closeouts, and lightly used are so much more affordable. You just can't always be set on a specific brand or model, though.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #17393
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,543
Thanks Mr. Ducnut. Will look into Qbike.

update: Went by REI on the way home and found a Novara Conversion Jacket 25% off. Looks like it will fit the bill for now, and under $60.00 bucks.

Joc

jocflier screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 02:42 PM
jocflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #17394
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Be sure to search the classified here. There's some really neat stuff listed......especially Land Rovers and Unimogs().
yeah I know ... i hate to see that cause I want them all!!!!!

specially an UNIMOG! ...

Member #68,893
stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #17395
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,690
Gonna be wet this weekend, and I'm really outta shape- gonna be deep in the pain cave for me

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #17396
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,419
Well, I've been looking into new hardware likes brakes and such. If I'm going to go through the trouble of switching out the cant's for V's I will have to swap out the shifters as well. The easiest would be to go SS. Although I was thinking that if I don't go SS that I might consider going 1x7. The only problem I'm finding is that there are very few high quality shifters out there. And the only old ones I can find are XT levers not triggers/rapid-fires. The only decent new one I can really find is the Sram X.3.

That leads me down the road of maybe converting over to 9's. But then I'd need new hubs for the rear. Although I'm already thinking about getting new wheels. Then there's the additional cost for a new cassette and derailer. Then I'd probably consider replacing the bottom bracket and crank.

From a monetary standpoint, it's probably not worth it but, would it be a good idea?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #17397
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I'm not sure if this has been asked or posted, but I'd rather just ask than try to find it in this very long thread....

What is your average speed (road bike) when out for exercise? Not when you're trying to beat your best time or practicing for a race..... just your average, I need to get some exercise, regimen. Please note whether you're traveling on mostly hills or flat or both and how long you've been riding.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #17398
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
I'm not sure if this has been asked or posted, but I'd rather just ask than try to find it in this very long thread....

What is your average speed (road bike) when out for exercise? Not when you're trying to beat your best time or practicing for a race..... just your average, I need to get some exercise, regimen. Please note whether you're traveling on mostly hills or flat or both and how long you've been riding.

Don't worry about speed. Focus on your heart rate if you are going for fitness and a work out. I use a HRM and use that to gauge my rides and not the average speed.

Article in Bicycling this month about training using your heart rate and even has a weekly training plan based on you training heart rate or perceived effort level.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #17399
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Heart rate, speed, power, torque, whatever....

Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is getting out there and enjoying it.

Definitely avoid comparing your times to others. There are many guys who can ride twice as fast as me on the same route and it's probably half as much exercise for them.

Acquired myself a new bicycle accessory this evening. 20 gauge Mossberg. I figure it's time to start getting a few shots off at the grouse I've been seeing. Might also encourage motorists to give me a wider berth.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #17400
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I guess I should have posted that I'm not worried about my speed at all, I would just like to know what speed everyone else does so I can understand more about cycling, the different types of bikes, breathing, eating... blah blah blah.

That's all.

You men have been trained badly! I'm a woman that means exactly what she says - I have no hidden agenda and if I ask you if my ass looks big, I expect the truth, not something I want to hear.

Got it?

Good.

Now tell me your average speed and how long you've been riding, please.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: