Hyperglide and on

M
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #17387
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
The whole DC area is great for riding. Get out past Dulles and the roads open up.

The W&OD trail will take you about as far west as ya wanna go. Just watch out 'cause for some reason people turn their brains off when riding there.

M
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #17388
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,751
Call me crazy but....

...I'd love to attempt (notice the word, "attempt" as opposed to "do") a trip like this.

Linky
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #17389
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,447
Riding and other rider space question.

This morning I went out and put 30 miles in while it was cool and a couple of riders came past me going up hill ( of course ), but I was able to hang with them and once we got to the down hill section of the ride, it was on.

My question is this. Should you ask if you can drop in with them if you are keeping pace, in the back of course? Should you take you turn out front and pull for a while?

I would not want to invade anyone space or upset them, but at the same time, i do not want to lose my pace that I was riding at. I have to believe you ask first, but just checking.

What say you...

Joc
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #17390
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
...I'd love to attempt (notice the word, "attempt" as opposed to "do") a trip like this.

Linky
^^^ That environ is brutal.

I want to do this, to this, then pickup this, and head home on this. I really want to see the Great Divide and CO.

An alternate would be to start on the Lewis & Clark, to this, to this, and head home on this. I really want to see the Pacific coast.

I'm hoping for 2013. Got the bike. Just gotta' start on equipment.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #17391
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
if you haven't punched bike chains before, play with an old one a few times, breaking and reconnecting it (at different pins). a clean well lubed chain is always easier to work on. or, mess with your old one before replacing it. its not at all hard with a little practice.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

A Park CT-3 is like $25 and all you need.
The Park CT-3 is a very good shop-weight chain tool, I've had one for a long time and got a lot of good out of it.

What I really like for a shop tool is the Rohloff Revolver! The only limitation of this tool is that it doesn't completely push a pin out of the chain - it hits on internal stop just as you need to stop to keep the pin in the last plate, which is perfect most of the time. For the rest of the time you've still got the Park CT-3, which pushed things completely thru unless you stop at the right time (which is where careful attention and practice come in).

The Revolver also rivets pins - which is the most useful feature. I've had trouble with SRAM pins coming out on 9spd chains, but riveting them cures the finickyness.

One other usefull feature of the Park CT-3 is loosening a stiff link. Note that there are 2 sets of tabs in the tool:

Using the set shown in the pic, you're pushing the pin out of all the plates, but installing a new pin tends to push all the link plates together - giving you a stiff link. Put the chain on the other set of tabs and youre pushing the pin into the closer pair of links, instead of pushing all the links against the anvil. Opens up some clearance where the roller is.

Oh yeah - both the CT-3 and the Revolver are big heavy shop tools. You need something for trailside too.

I've got the Park CT-5 Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool

and the Topeak Super Chain Tool

Both are very good - have enough of a handle to give leverage w/o killing your palm, but small/light enough to carry around full time.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #17392
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
Should you ask if you can drop in with them if you are keeping pace, in the back of course? Should you take you turn out front and pull for a while?
It's always best to ask, but, definitely be expected to pull your fair share-the others appreciate it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #17393
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
My question is this. Should you ask if you can drop in with them if you are keeping pace, in the back of course? Should you take you turn out front and pull for a while?

What say you...

Joc
1. Yes.

2. Ask first. People get funny bout that stuff.

M
Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #17394
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Hyperglide and on

M
How can I tell what kind of chain I have. It's a Shimano I suspect since everything else is. It's also a Narrow chain. I think there are some markings on the links but I haven't looked at it closely. I'll take a close up pic of the chain in a bit.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #17395
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
How can I tell what kind of chain I have. It's a Shimano I suspect since everything else is. It's also a Narrow chain. I think there are some markings on the links but I haven't looked at it closely. I'll take a close up pic of the chain in a bit.
Clean off a few links. If there's big HG logos on the links, ya gotta have the special pin.

If it sez Sachs, Sedis, UG, or anything else, don't worry about it.

M
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #17396
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,447
Thanks both of you. Asking first is the way to go.

Quote:
1. Yes.

2. Ask first. People get funny bout that stuff.

M
Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #17397
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Nice ride ! Have always liked the bad boys. Shopping via bicycle is a warm & fuzzy for sure. When leaving bike have proper lock(s), take any lights/computers off if leaving bike for a bit. People will steal every and anything.
Reflective or bright colored gear certainly helps one be seen. Saddle time will bring additional comfort and joy. Be safe.
I think I've got a good U-lock attached to the bike. Of course, that doesn't mean anything when I forget the key and am forced to use the cheapie cable lock that I keep in one of the saddle bags. I don't trust myself enough yet to ride at night or in rain, so I don't have any lights, and my only computer is the Garmin 305 that stays on my wrist. The saddlebags have some reflective bits on them, but mostly I'll wear brighter clothing.

I'm starting to do a little every other day, usually as my "rest" days for my running. And I have been noticing my thighs aching less, and myself being able to focus more on enjoying the ride, almost to the point of me wanting to take a longer route home, just because I'm not ready to quit yet.

Quote:
The whole DC area is great for riding. Get out past Dulles and the roads open up.

The W&OD trail will take you about as far west as ya wanna go. Just watch out 'cause for some reason people turn their brains off when riding there.
Yeah, I run various parts of the Mt. Vernon trail, and constantly see signs for where it breaks off into multiple other trails including the Four Mile Run trail (which ends at the start of the W&OD) and the C&O Canal trail that goes all the way to Pittsburgh.

I get excited thinking about trying some of these trails and it makes me regret waiting til now to start getting back on the bike again, but at the same time, I know there's no way I could do a 185 mile trail (one way). I'm just not up to that type of adventure....yet
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #17398
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
its probably *not* a shimano chain... for instance, the 1998 rockhopper http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...pper&Type=bike had a Sachs chain (and the 98 rockhopper is darn close to what you have)

otoh, the 97 rockhopper *did* have a shimano chain per bikepedia. Do note, you can't totally trust that database as often minor parts substitutions are made on bikes based on what the assembler has in stock, plus that database itself isn't 100% reliable (although its usually pretty good)
Old 10-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #17399
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
You gotta' adapt a different attitude on the LHT. I went from a tri bike, as an everyday bike, to a 'cross bike with aerobars and fenders. Likewise, 23mm to 37mm tires. I no longer hurry and don't care. I enjoy the improved comfort and just the fact that I'm out riding. Before, I was always pushing for time.
I'm just glad to be riding at any level,I had Total knee replacment surgery on both knees in Mar and Apr they are doing great I've just got to got the rest of my strengh back that's been my biggest hurdle. It's comming back but very slowly, I just keep plugging along. Leg speed has improved greatly,before 90-100rpm hurt too much.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #17400
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7

Linky

Any touring is a one day at time, sometimes one hour at a time. Just put one pedal in front of the other mental state. address problems as they happen. Almost any body can do it with enough time and desire. Bike the World.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: