Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #17416
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
I did some when I was 17 -18 around Coloardo, mostly 4-5 day trips in the mountains. I went in the military. I was stationed in Germany for 5 yrs. I did a bunch of trips around Garmich, little bit in Austria,and Switerland. The good thing about Europe is you hop on a train with bike (no boxing it up like here) just put it in the bagage car . The Bike is ready at your destination.

My big goal is in about 5 years do a Trip on the transam dipping down to the southern tier, then up the Pacific coast and return on part of the Northern tier dipping down to the great rivers route and then working my way back to NC. Until then 2-3 week trips in this area will have to do.
When I cycled from Glacier to Yellowstone, there were times on the second continental divide crossing where I had to pedal as hard as possible in my granny gear just to move forward uphill due to the winds.

Later on, in the foothills, the wind was so bad that I wanted to throw my bike off the road and give up. But I didn't because I knew that there was relative comfort waiting within 50 miles down the road in the form of a good, warm meal, a comfortable camping area with showers, etc. I wasn't even 25 then and in excellent shape.

The thing about the trip in the link is the length, the temps and the sheer remoteness of the trip as it crosses northern Brazil. Spend some time on his site and you'll understand the difficulty. It's not like in the US where you'll find a gas station, a hotel or a restaurant every 30 miles of paved road - it's a matter of finding something edible to eat, water to drink and someway to cool down.

It's more than putting one pedal in front of the other and if I get to attempt it, I'll be "old". Not nearly as in shape as I was when I toured and rode all of the US but more savvy and mentally tougher.

I've probably traveled more in Brazil than the average Brazilian, speak a little Portuguese...and I expect to retire there. Given that and my age, it'll be a tough trip.

I think I'll send him a note and ask about his health after the fact. Parasites can be horrible but the treatments can be even worse.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #17417
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I suggested he could SS his existing gears to try it out, usually something in the middle like 34:16 will have close enough slack, before buying a SS crank and wheelset (or converting his existing wheel to SS)

edit: with a shimano chain that requires new pins each time you break it, this is not so convenient....
Speaking of which. From what I've read, it would be easier to use the existing wheel and use spacers then to go with a BMX style hub on a new wheels? I'm not sure what other advantage there is other then that though. Oh and will I have to change my front gear as well? I'm using the Biospace which are oval.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #17418
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Speaking of which. From what I've read, it would be easier to use the existing wheel and use spacers then to go with a BMX style hub on a new wheels? I'm not sure what other advantage there is other then that though. Oh and will I have to change my front gear as well? I'm using the Biospace which are oval.
well, you'd be replacing your triple ring front with a single ring anyways if this was a permanent SS conversion. good single speed setups use chain-wheels with symmetrical longer teeth than the ones used for a derailleur double or triple. If your crank has 5 bolts for the chainring, there's a good chance you can simple bolt up a new chain ring to your existing crank. if its a 4 bolt, there's not as many choices in rings.

apparently you -can- use biospace chain wheels with SS gearing as the same number of teeth engage the chain all the way around.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #17419
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
well, you'd be replacing your triple ring front with a single ring anyways if this was a permanent SS conversion. good single speed setups use chain-wheels with symmetrical longer teeth than the ones used for a derailleur double or triple. If your crank has 5 bolts for the chainring, there's a good chance you can simple bolt up a new chain ring to your existing crank. if its a 4 bolt, there's not as many choices in rings.

apparently you -can- use biospace chain wheels with SS gearing as the same number of teeth engage the chain all the way around.
For the rear, I'd be swapping out the cassette for a SS gear and shims, I think. As I was reading the cassette gears are cut to allow for easier shifting. Like you said shorter teeth as well as a slightly different shape.

The Crank is a standard 5-bolt. Not sure if I'd want to keep the Bio-space stuff really. If it's cheap to buy a new gear then I'll probably end up doing that.

I've been looking at wheels. Should I consider discs or go with V's? I've read that the heaviest V's are still lighter then any disc. Also, what are some good wheels that are under $200 a set? (Closeouts are OK) I've seen some custom ones but the numbering scheme has be lost a bit on the rims. It looks like if I want the most flexibility I'd need to get V rims with caliper spindles. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #17420
pierce
Aven'Tourer

I'm still curious how you plan on riding the steep oakland hills with 1 gear.

go ahead and put your bike in one single gear, say 34:16, and try a few loops without shifting....
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #17421
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I'm still curious how you plan on riding the steep oakland hills with 1 gear.

go ahead and put your bike in one single gear, say 34:16, and try a few loops without shifting....
There are a lot of 'Jeep' trails inland. Brionies, Las Trampas, Little Hills, etc... I'll have to see how it goes with gears then try using one gear then maybe go to SS.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #17422
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Its amazing what you can climb in 'that gear' if you don't have a choice.

M

Quote:
There are a lot of 'Jeep' trails inland. Brionies, Las Trampas, Little Hills, etc... I'll have to see how it goes with gears then try using one gear then maybe go to SS.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #17423
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,264
We hit the single track again today. I'm whupped again. Had fun, though.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #17424
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

You're on a VERY slippery slope to having a seriously good time. That an buying ever more spensive bikes.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
We hit the single track again today. I'm whupped again. Had fun, though.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #17425
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Gummee et al, anything special I should know about installing a octolink BB and crankset? I scored a older ultegra 53:39 off ebay for my kid's Trek roadie, so I can save the vintage 144mm Specialized 'track' crankset, and get him a lower gear. its coming with a used octolink BB. like, do I grease the splines before installing the cranks? how much torque on the crank bolts? I think the existing BB tool I have is a combo square/octo for installing the BB itself, and I think my existing crank puller has an optional wider end for pulling octalink cranks but I've never dinked with them before...
Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #17426
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,119
And so it begins...
Parting,

Seat, pedals and tires home to the new bike.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #17427
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

You've installed a sealed Shimano unit, right? Same same cept yer gonna need updated tools. There's Octalink-specific stuff yer gonna need: the spindle dia is too big fer yer old bb tool. (Mebbe. Just re-read the post)

The cranks are self-extracting w/ an 8mm wrench. Install? German torque. Gut-n-tight. Grease is yer friend. All over the splines, etc.

HTH

M
Quote:
Gummee et al, anything special I should know about installing a octolink BB and crankset? I scored a older ultegra 53:39 off ebay for my kid's Trek roadie, so I can save the vintage 144mm Specialized 'track' crankset, and get him a lower gear. its coming with a used octolink BB. like, do I grease the splines before installing the cranks? how much torque on the crank bolts? I think the existing BB tool I have is a combo square/octo for installing the BB itself, and I think my existing crank puller has an optional wider end for pulling octalink cranks but I've never dinked with them before...
Old 10-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #17428
Jeffy
Hmm...

Found my Avocet 30!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #17429
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I have a few of those! Only thing I don't like about em is mine always reset at 59:59. Hadta remember how many hours you've been out.

M

Quote:
Found my Avocet 30!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #17430
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Found my Avocet 30!

LIME GREEN! my daughter's favorite color! :)

she wants to repaint my red cruiser lime green since its now 'her' bike.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: