Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #17506
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Be sure to search the classified here. There's some really neat stuff listed......especially Land Rovers and Unimogs().
yeah I know ... i hate to see that cause I want them all!!!!!

specially an UNIMOG! ...

KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #17507
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,293
Gonna be wet this weekend, and I'm really outta shape- gonna be deep in the pain cave for me

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #17508
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Well, I've been looking into new hardware likes brakes and such. If I'm going to go through the trouble of switching out the cant's for V's I will have to swap out the shifters as well. The easiest would be to go SS. Although I was thinking that if I don't go SS that I might consider going 1x7. The only problem I'm finding is that there are very few high quality shifters out there. And the only old ones I can find are XT levers not triggers/rapid-fires. The only decent new one I can really find is the Sram X.3.

That leads me down the road of maybe converting over to 9's. But then I'd need new hubs for the rear. Although I'm already thinking about getting new wheels. Then there's the additional cost for a new cassette and derailer. Then I'd probably consider replacing the bottom bracket and crank.

From a monetary standpoint, it's probably not worth it but, would it be a good idea?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #17509
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I'm not sure if this has been asked or posted, but I'd rather just ask than try to find it in this very long thread....

What is your average speed (road bike) when out for exercise? Not when you're trying to beat your best time or practicing for a race..... just your average, I need to get some exercise, regimen. Please note whether you're traveling on mostly hills or flat or both and how long you've been riding.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #17510
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
I'm not sure if this has been asked or posted, but I'd rather just ask than try to find it in this very long thread....

What is your average speed (road bike) when out for exercise? Not when you're trying to beat your best time or practicing for a race..... just your average, I need to get some exercise, regimen. Please note whether you're traveling on mostly hills or flat or both and how long you've been riding.

Don't worry about speed. Focus on your heart rate if you are going for fitness and a work out. I use a HRM and use that to gauge my rides and not the average speed.

Article in Bicycling this month about training using your heart rate and even has a weekly training plan based on you training heart rate or perceived effort level.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #17511
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Heart rate, speed, power, torque, whatever....

Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is getting out there and enjoying it.

Definitely avoid comparing your times to others. There are many guys who can ride twice as fast as me on the same route and it's probably half as much exercise for them.

Acquired myself a new bicycle accessory this evening. 20 gauge Mossberg. I figure it's time to start getting a few shots off at the grouse I've been seeing. Might also encourage motorists to give me a wider berth.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #17512
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I guess I should have posted that I'm not worried about my speed at all, I would just like to know what speed everyone else does so I can understand more about cycling, the different types of bikes, breathing, eating... blah blah blah.

That's all.

You men have been trained badly! I'm a woman that means exactly what she says - I have no hidden agenda and if I ask you if my ass looks big, I expect the truth, not something I want to hear.

Got it?

Good.

Now tell me your average speed and how long you've been riding, please.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #17513
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Yes mam

Mtb 6-10 mph depends on the hills.

Road bike 15-17 mph.

Been riding since starting back after a 10 year break in July.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #17514
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:

Steverino is right -- heart rate.

But, FWIW, my average speed is oh, maybe around 16-18 mph -- but this is commuting, mostly flat with some hills, and carrying my commuting gear and stuff. I've been riding pretty regularly for over 35 years (yipes!!), but mostly for commuting and recreation.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #17515
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
I guess I should have posted that I'm not worried about my speed at all, I would just like to know what speed everyone else does so I can understand more about cycling, the different types of bikes, breathing, eating... blah blah blah.

That's all.

You men have been trained badly! I'm a woman that means exactly what she says - I have no hidden agenda and if I ask you if my ass looks big, I expect the truth, not something I want to hear.

Got it?

Good.

I don't do a ton of riding- once or twice a week, and my normal road ride is 18-25 miles in the berkeley hills. I average between 13-14 mph. My speed goes up if I have a longer route with a bit more flat ground.

Oh, I'm 31 and in pretty good shape. My wife averages about the same, only she can average 12 or 13 mph over a hilly ride that is 200 miles long.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #17516
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:

That's all.

Got it?

Good.

Fair enough. Keep in mind I'm a bit older than I used to be, and slowing some. On the flat stuff, I'll roll along at 20-21mph. Lots-a-hills here in Northern Utardia, so the total averages reflect that (I have a 1 1/2 mile climb to get home every ride). Round trip average speeds these days are a solid 18.3 mph....

Also keep in mind- average speed is a factor of time spent at speed "x" - and hills kill your average speed-- even if you go down the same hills you go up. Peoples heads seem to think that if I go 10 mph out, and 20 mph back, the average speed will be 15- not so.

A steep, long climb for example:
Roughly a ten mile climb at ten miles per hour, takes an hour (right?)
Comming down the same way (now decent) at 30 mph takes twenty minutes= total 90 minutes round trip for 20 miles. average is only 13.5-ish.
Far easier to clip along on a flat road....

FWIW- Riding on the road since '89 at age 21, over 100K miles logged, on good equipment (that really does matter ) used to race quite a bit- now not so much

I agree with focusing on effort/heart rate, not average speed-- My average speed in the last cyclocross race was a miseerable 14.5 mph, but my heart rate was above 165 for over 50 minutes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #17517
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,007
Quote:

That's all.

Got it?

Good.

Speed?

15 - 20 on the road bike with a 140ish heart rate.

Think of heart rate as your tachometer. As you become stronger, you can maintain higher road speeds with the same heart rate.

Initially, your speeds will be low; you can ride your road bike 10mph for an hour with an inzone heart rate without muscle burn.

After a couple months of adding 5 miles/week with recovery rides and weeknight training, you'll be able to average 16 to 17 miles per hour with 115 - 145 heart rate over 3 or 4 hours of pedaling. This will include significant climbs, fast descents and periods of straight up steady middle effort pedaling.

The speed is in your chest, not the bike or your legs.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #17518
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
heh. got home last night from a star party, and my college kid left this IM on my screen...

Quote:
Ian: did a 50miler today :)
so fun
thanks for the awesome bike
"awesome bike" being the $200 1977 Trek TX300 I scored for him.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #17519
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,255
second season started today

I've come to think of living in AZ as having too seasons: BS and AS as in "Before summer" and "after summer". Today was the first ride of the second season.

I'm not really big into riding on the local streets but will do so to crank out a few miles. Today was about 60/40 - 60% on dirt and 40% on the streets for 15 miles total.

The last thing I asked MrsK7 to grab for me was a big red bandana - thank goodness because when I had my first flat tire in years, it was nice to have that to mop off my face.

I haven't changed a tube since... oh... 1979 and that was outside of Castroville Texas. Even then, I seem to remember one of my bicycle shop buddies helping me out.

I looked around - no such luck. Actually, it was quite easy especially after I remembered to push the tire to the center of the rim. The other side slipped off with only a little persuasion.

Several quail made their way down the trail I was on - they were pretty startled to see me under some shade working on the tire. I could hear other bicyclists on the nearby road. I don't think that they could see me - too far off and down in the desert.

As I moved towards the west, the trail I was on popped me back onto Pecos Rd where I started a female cyclist who was traveling west also. She had the triathlon-type setup and was moving at a decent clip. I couldn't help myself - I chased her down and passed her...knowing that the next trail was only a half-mile down the road.

From there, I moved west towards the confluence of South Mt Park and the indian reservation. At one point, I have to go up and over a steep ridge - the road is too steep and rough for my skills. The least I could do was take a picture:

I had intended to go over the next ridge and then work my way back to the east via South Mt Park but I decided to go back to the south and work my way back towards home. From there, I picked up surface streets just to throw in a few more quick miles. The total was 15 miles in just over two hours total. The moving average was just under 10 mph, fastest speed was just over 31. No idea of my heart rate, no monitor.

All things considered, it was a spectacular morning - highs of about 85. Tonight, we'll continue the fun...we're going to see Steve Martin who is playing with the Steep Canyon Rangers, a bluegrass band. Should be a blast.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #17520
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
So on today's ride, I kept more careful track of time and distance, and my average speed was 15.5 mph. This was a non-commuting ride (but not done specifically for speed, just out for a nice ride), mostly flat, mostly bike path, but some hills and stop lights.

Disclaimers: I'm on a recumbent, I'm female, and I'm probably older than most of you FF's here.

Edited to add "average" to speed.

Eyes Shut screwed with this post 10-11-2010 at 06:40 AM
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: