User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #17536
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
MS150 in Ventura, CA this past weekend. Drove up in the fog on Saturday, finished 100mi, then tent-camped that night for the early morning wake-up and 60mi on Sunday. Ugh... Two weddings and a half-dozen birthdays in the past 8 weeks left us poorly prepared for the hell this ride became.

But all four of us finished. No flats, no bonks, no melt-downs. Can't complain too much.

Saturday's start was slow and weeeeet.

Managed to dry out a bit. YakWife and Yak-F-in-Law trailing. Sister Jenn hiding behind the F-in-Law.

I'm only smiling here because I didn't know just how much fun the climb out of Ojai was going to be.

Day 2 was really wet. Never enough rain to wash off the farm roads in Oxnard, but enough to let the rear tires throw mud. Wheee!

The poor steed looked more like it'd been through a cyclocross race than a charity road ride.

D'oh. Just realized the pics didn't come through. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

YakSpout screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 10:01 PM
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #17537
kobudo28
Banned

Oddometer: 5,888
I didn't go far today 15 or so, but it was about 52, sun in and out of the clouds, just a little but of color left in the trees.....it was a nice ride.

I need to find another riding partner who wants to ride further and harder. Oh well, it's all good.
kobudo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #17538
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,629
Yesterday ride

Yesterday ride was a good 26 miles.. follow by a nice walk today.

Wed is schedule to rain.. will go and get muddy with the mountain bike.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #17539
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Brake cables have changed, they used to be almost twice the diameter. They are a lot smaller now. I am not sure of the exact measurement but I believe it is about 1.5mm.

If you have the thick cables you might have a bit of trouble with your levers also. You levers may take the bigger barrel end and the barrel adjuster make be intended for the larger housing that is no longer made.

Make sure you get a decent cable (the QBP ones are fine) there are some shops out there the stock really cheep cables and they will make your brakes feel horrible.
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, searched for an hour or so and found the early MTB's ran 2.2mm-2.8mm. The new ones I think are 1.5mm-1.6mm. I ended up buying a Shimano XTR cable set. Should have it here by Thursday. The cables did fit the newer levers. If I pulled the plastic liner out of the noodle, the cable would fit but it felt like I was trying to ream it.

I can't believe how much more comfortable the new seat is! It's a WTB Speed V and it's 1000x better then the old stock seat. It's a lot smaller but also softer in the right places. The groove is a huge improvement as well. I also swapped out my Shimano STI's for Shimano Deore XT shifters which are period correct. These things shift a lot nicer then my Rapid-fires! The only downside is that they're slower since I've got to reposition my hand a little. I think I can fix some of that once I'm able to ride it again. I also used an old Stop Flat as a chain guard so finally, the chain won't be able to attack my chain stay.

I'm sort of wondering if I should swap to some riser bars instead of my flats. Although I think the next upgrade will be new wheels. I'm looking at Mavic XC 717's with Shimano XT hubs. I was looking at the Mavic Crossride UB's but they seem to get mixed reviews.

Here are some pics of my progress:

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #17540
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,902
Ohhh, Lock on grips, XT thumbies, Avid brakes, WTB saddle, Conti tires.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #17541
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Classy.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #17542
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,418
Thanks! I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to mix old with new without it looking too out of place.

Here's the list of parts so far;
  • Slime Thorn-Resistant Tubes
  • Continental Gravity 2.3's Tyres
  • Avid Single Speed 7 Levers
  • Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes
  • WTB Speed V Saddle
  • Vintage Shimano XT Thumb shifters
  • Sram Lock-On Grips
  • Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
Everything else is OE. I'm still trying to figure out what else I need to change out. I've been wanting to swap out the Cassette, BB, Crank, Chain, Shifters and Deraillers to Sram X.7's. The Deore XT's were used so I could swap the brakes sooner. After I get some new wheels I'll probably ride it around for a while so I can get a better feel of what I need/don't need to change out.

I've read that riser bars have negated the need to use bar ends. I used to like bar ends and haven't seen them on a bike in ages. I was thinking about adding some if I keep the flat bar. I used to not like the look of riser bars as they looked too street old school (pre-'90) but now they have come to back and taken over. I do like the idea of wider bars though. I'll have to think about that one.

It definitely is a fun little project. It's also nice to know there is suck a big following for vintage mtb's. I've had a lot of help getting back up to speed. So thanks everyone!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #17543
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,293
To ride again...I had shoulder surgery nine weeks ago and last week my doctor told me I could ride a bit again. He doesn't want any off road and no long rides, since he feels if I get tired I will lean on the bars a bit. Makes sense to me, so I did a small ride to the bike shop (about 3 miles) and then last night I rode to go eat (so much for riding for exercise and helping a diet) but it was about 4.5 miles each way and I it felt great to pedal. Wasn't hard, didn't break a sweat, but I got to ride.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #17544
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
Brakes ordered for the DS bike. Avid Elixir CR's in a 8" front 6" rear. Should be riding it this weekend.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #17545
kobudo28
Banned

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
To ride again...I had shoulder surgery nine weeks ago and last week my doctor told me I could ride a bit again. He doesn't want any off road and no long rides, since he feels if I get tired I will lean on the bars a bit. Makes sense to me, so I did a small ride to the bike shop (about 3 miles) and then last night I rode to go eat (so much for riding for exercise and helping a diet) but it was about 4.5 miles each way and I it felt great to pedal. Wasn't hard, didn't break a sweat, but I got to ride.
It's great to be back on your bike!
kobudo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #17546
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
RedBull gives you "balls":

Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #17547
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020

&nbsp
&nbsp
No whiskey gives you balls, that's insane!!!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #17548
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
sigh. one of my kid's friends, a local DH racer, busted his legs in a dozen places, and cracked a vertebrae in his lower back blowing a landing on a back flip in practice for a small scale version of one of these sorts of events.

I really have mixed feelings on this glorification of 'extreme' sports. makes good television, and sells more crap, meanwhile the real athletes, like the LD road riders, go completely ignored.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #17549
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
sigh. one of my kid's friends, a local DH racer, busted his legs in a dozen places, and cracked a vertebrae in his lower back blowing a landing on a back flip in practice for a small scale version of one of these sorts of events.

I really have mixed feelings on this glorification of 'extreme' sports. makes good television, and sells more crap, meanwhile the real athletes, like the LD road riders, go completely ignored.
Sorry to hear of someone you know getting injured, but LD road rider can injure themselves just as bad when accident happens.

Real athletes would appreciate the skills and strength that are demonstrated in the RedBull video, even if they are completely ignored.

Snobbish of you if you do not consider these "extreme" sport participants as real athletes.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #17550
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Sorry to hear of someone you know getting injured, but LD road rider can injure themselves just as bad when accident happens.

Real athletes would appreciate the skills and strength that are demonstrated in the RedBull video, even if they are completely ignored.

Snobbish of you if you do not consider these "extreme" sport participants as real athletes.
I consider them more like stunt men, or circus acrobats, which is certainly its own skill set. But, personally, I'd be more impressed if they had to start at the bottom and ride up before coming down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: