User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 134 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #17566
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Days are getting shorter and work is ramping back up so getting rides in has become more of a challenge. It was time to start riding at night. So got me some lights and tried them out last night.

Mtn biking with lights is a hoot. Completely different feel and experience. Did 12 miles at my local farm and had a great time. The only issue I had was uphill technical steep climbs. Might have been because I refused to use the granny gear, but twice on climbs I make every time I had to step out.

Got to imagine riding more at night has got to be good for the old bike handling skills.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #17567
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Days are getting shorter and work is ramping back up so getting rides in has become more of a challenge. It was time to start riding at night. So got me some lights and tried them out last night.

Mtn biking with lights is a hoot. Completely different feel and experience. Did 12 miles at my local farm and had a great time. The only issue I had was uphill technical steep climbs. Might have been because I refused to use the granny gear, but twice on climbs I make every time I had to step out.

Got to imagine riding more at night has got to be good for the old bike handling skills.
I like riding at night, it's peaceful.Everything looks different.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #17568
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Progress is coming on the 29r full suspension. XT 10 speed drive train is here. Installed the rear der and crank. Wheels came in threw the cassette on that.

Today my Ebay Reba for $100 came back from Rockshox all fixed for just the cost of shipping.

All I need now is the rear shock to come back from Rockshox and it will be a bike. Looking forward to the more comfy ride.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #17569
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,352
My local mountain bike riding at night could be a bit hairy.
The closest trail while it closes at sunset is named, "Mountain Lion Access"

Just riding along the river trail I can see/hear coyotes and imagine all sorts of beasts watching as I huff and puff by, trying to not look too much like bait.

Picked up an extension cord for my lights at the Performance sale on Sunday then have spent the next three days in bed attempting to sleep off this cold/flu that has a death-grip on my lungs.
Climbed the three flights of stairs here at work this morning and had to stop at the top for a minute so the dizziness would clear and I got my wind back. Man! Chest congestion. And to think just last Saturday I was working that Roubaix like a rented mule.
Another week to bake the cold/flu out of me here and then it's back into the wet and dark up north. Hence the light cord. And I picked up a rain jacket at the REI sale.
Pearl Izumi Barrier Convertible
http://www.rei.com/product/788056

$100. Has a helmet hood thing that is removable and fold down flap that I suppose is to keep the slop off my butt.
Now, I need something warm for my legs.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #17570
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,873
Yeah, the deer come out when the sun begins to sets. Then the mountain lions and coyote's come out. Turkeys too. Vicious, blood sucking turkeys.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #17571
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
around here, its skunks, raccoons, deer, coyote, bobcats, and mountain lions. seen all those in my back yard (ok, my neighbor saw the cougar, I've only seen the rest, numerous times).

I do wonder if a full grown Labrador Retriever is 'safe' from a mountain lion. She's the face it and bark type (BIG Woof!) rather than the turn tail and run, but she also doesn't usually chase things, except maybe deer for a short distance.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #17572
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Yeah, the deer come out when the sun begins to sets. Then the mountain lions and coyote's come out. Turkeys too. Vicious, blood sucking turkeys.
Turkeys roost at night. In trees.

I'll repeat again here... The V7 is set up for lightweight/entry level riders.
-Todd at GuzziTech
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #17573
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
around here, its skunks, raccoons, deer, coyote, bobcats, and mountain lions. seen all those in my back yard (ok, my neighbor saw the cougar, I've only seen the rest, numerous times).

I do wonder if a full grown Labrador Retriever is 'safe' from a mountain lion. She's the face it and bark type (BIG Woof!) rather than the turn tail and run, but she also doesn't usually chase things, except maybe deer for a short distance.
No oposums? Almost hit a 4-5 point on the way into town this morning... Oh and you'd be supprised how close the mountain lions get to peoples homes or schools.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #17574
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:

If you're going to ride year-round you've got to have lights. Here in the southwestern desert I'd be missing the best riding conditions of the year if I didn't night-ride in the "cold" seasons.

NOTE: More lumens = more faster. Know your trail well or don't outrun your lights. DAMHIK.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #17575
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Turkeys roost at night. In trees.
As the sun drops behind the hills, there is still some light. You can find them in certain areas eating next to roads or bike paths.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #17576
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce

We have "cougars" down here too, but I just stay out of those bars.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #17577
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

I gots 2 x 400 lumens. One on the bars and one on the helmet, I can't overrun my lights. I aint brave enough or fit enough!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #17578
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
I drank the nastiest crap next to the stuff they gave me before my colon scope while on my ride Saturday.

Cytomax never again. Does anyone make anything that taste half way good.I am almost afraid to pop open one of my Power Bar Gel packs while riding. Who know what so called tangerine taste like.

Please speak up oh god of riding. What works for you please?

Joc
Mix it half strength?

I've had lots of stuff over the years. Orange Gatorade again at the moment.

M
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #17579
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,382
Quote:

Makes ya trust yer front wheel. You can't always see what yer hitting so you'd better let it do what it wants as long as yer going the right direction.

M
Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #17580
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Mix it half strength?

I've had lots of stuff over the years. Orange Gatorade again at the moment.

M
+1 on the half strength, I'm Gatorade fruit punch.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: