Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #17716
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass

Especially if you don't follow the installation instructions!
Are you speaking from experience?
I would not recomend a bike with an EBB unless you want to go single speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass
I run a Rock Shox Tora 318 Air on my 29er. Haven't had any issues with it and it has the handlebar mounted pop lok which means you can lock it out for climbing. It's significantly cheaper than the Reba and unless your a weight weenie, you won't care about the extra few ounces in your front end..
The Tora is a decent fork but I have had seen a few problems with them when ridden hard or raced.
The Solo air piston can cause some issues. Mainly not balancing the two air chambers and locking the fork down.
Also be careful riding fully locked out, I have seen a few of the dampeners blow completely out of the fork, nearly taking the riders head with it.
Rock Shox has a 2 year warranty on this fork and will cover the cost on all of the parts though.
To be fair, the Reba had some problems with he o-ring between the positive and negative air chambers about a year ago but it was resolved.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #17717
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Pretty embarrassed to admit this after Mr. Heads 34.75 mile ride. Beautiful photos, btw. The wife and I just got done with our first morning ride as a workout. I made it 1.45 miles before my legs screamed submission. My wife went for another half of a mile or so. We are just doing laps in the subdivision.

I thought I would do better as I have been walking pretty hard all summer, but I am finding it is a whole new muscle movement. Our plan is to work hard through the winter and spring so that when we travel next summer we can take the bikes with us and be able to ride some distance for pleasure.
Jay, I keep telling you my first rides were measured in blocks. I was serious. Like four or five blocks. That was all I could do. 1.45 is a long ride for your first. It takes time. I'm now up to ten miles or so, but it took most of the summer to get there.

The bonus was this weekend. I went to my farm. The cabin sits atop a big hill that usually has me taking a break or two on the way up. I cruised right up without a break and not too out of breath. Fully recovered by the time I got my boots off. It is amazing to me how much better shape I'm in now. It is also amazing to me how far I had let myself get out of shape.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #17718
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
I have a problem. I wear glasses and tear up badly riding when it is cool. Anyone know of some goggle type things I can wear over the glasses?
You need to investigate Rudy Project, as they offer RX cycling glasses. I have a pair and they totally stopped the watering. Also, they offer protection from UV and bugs. I'm hoping to get a pair of clear lenses, in the near future. Mine are photochromatic polarized and I just can't wear them offroad, as they really alter the mind's perception of the ground's surface. On the road, they really define the surface, but, offroad it's sensory overload.

ducnut screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 06:51 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #17719
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Pretty sweet trail how long is it . 17.5 mi????
Yeah, out and back along what was a railroad bed, so no big hills. They have supposedly extended the trail to the North, but I was getting fried and I could see this was going to be a race to sunset if I screwed around.

Gummi, Freewheel. Old school bike, wheels and downtube friction shifting.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #17720
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
You need to investigate Rudy Project, as they offer RX cycling glasses. I have a pair and they totally stopped the watering. Also, they offer protection from UV and bugs. I'm hoping to get a pair of clear lenses, in the near future. Mine are photochromatic polarized and I just can't wear them offroad, as they really alter the mind's perception of the ground's surface. On the road, they really define the surface, but, offroad it's sensory overload.
I have some rudy project non prescription glasses and I love them. Pretty much any glasses frame can be made into a prescription by a decent eyeglass store. Smith, Oakley, Ryders, etc...
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #17721
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Well, girls and boys, I finally got out on the bike.
34.75 miles the Centennial trail. Man it was nice. Cold but nice.
I think this is my favorite trail so far.

I need to figure a better set up for up top. If I was home, I'd wear that old Team jacket, wool with a nylon front to keep the wind off. That thing is pretty nice. I also have a newer and larger ShaverSport jacket that is warmer. I forgot all about that until now. Need to make a list and do a proper job of pack next trip. That trip, I'll be here a month.
A wind vest is a really good investment. I've got them with a solid back and a mesh back. Either is a good layer, and doesn't take up much room when removed.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #17722
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,541
I just recieved my Oakley jawbones from my eye doctor the other day. Had my RX put into them and love them. Not cheap $350.00, but worth it to me. I did not get the vented ones, but you may want to check them out.

Joc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I have some rudy project non prescription glasses and I love them. Pretty much any glasses frame can be made into a prescription by a decent eyeglass store. Smith, Oakley, Ryders, etc...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #17723
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
I have a problem. I wear glasses and tear up badly riding when it is cool. Anyone know of some goggle type things I can wear over the glasses?
How bout some prescription Rudy Projects or Oakleys?

I don't know of any goggle-type getup for cycling. Gimme a few weeks and I may know more tho.

M
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #17724
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester
A wind vest is a really good investment. I've got them with a solid back and a mesh back. Either is a good layer, and doesn't take up much room when removed.
One the best cheap SOB tricks I've ever learned is to keep the plastic bag from the comix in the Sunday paper. Folds up REAL small. Coincidentally, its about the size of yer chest.

I'll wear that in the AM on a ride I know will warm up so I don't have this huge wad of vest stickin out of my pocket.

I have a 'bottle' from Niterider that they sent repair kits to shop in. Top unscrews. That's where the dog tag, the $$, the spoke wrench, and holding it all in is the plastic baggie.

M
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #17725
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Pretty embarrassed to admit this after Mr. Heads 34.75 mile ride. Beautiful photos, btw. The wife and I just got done with our first morning ride as a workout. I made it 1.45 miles before my legs screamed submission. My wife went for another half of a mile or so. We are just doing laps in the subdivision.

I thought I would do better as I have been walking pretty hard all summer, but I am finding it is a whole new muscle movement. Our plan is to work hard through the winter and spring so that when we travel next summer we can take the bikes with us and be able to ride some distance for pleasure.
This ride is about all I can manage at this stage after about two years back in the saddle.
I didn't leave anything out there this time and I can feel it today.

A riding buddy of mine took his first ride on a mountain bike around my neighborhood, about 3 miles. He was sore for a few days after that. But now, a few bikes and two, three years later he commutes home from work several times a week at about 28 miles.

Everybody starts somewhere, and it takes time in the saddle.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #17726
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester
Yeah, I'm slowly re-outfitting myself. As I was riding yesterday I started adding up how much all the crap I had on cost.
Yikes!
That old sweater I have worked well for this. I have some parts of my body that don't do so well cold anymore. Knees, shoulders, elbow, hands, feet, ankle... Pretty much every thing I ever broke, dislocated or tried to tear off at some point now hurts if not kept at nice Mediterranean-like temperature.

Hence the jacket, warm socks gloves hat, and tights. My old racing buddies used to joke the weather would get warm enough for about three weeks in August so I'd not wear tights.
I figured if it was about 80 it was a good bet I could be warm enough with out the tights.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #17727
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Yeah, I'm slowly re-outfitting myself. As I was riding yesterday I started adding up how much all the crap I had on cost.
Yikes!
That old sweater I have worked well for this. I have some parts of my body that don't do so well cold anymore. Knees, shoulders, elbow, hands, feet, ankle... Pretty much every thing I ever broke, dislocated or tried to tear off at some point now hurts if not kept at nice Mediterranean-like temperature.

Hence the jacket, warm socks gloves hat, and tights. My old racing buddies used to joke the weather would get warm enough for about three weeks in August so I'd not wear tights.
I figured if it was about 80 it was a good bet I could be warm enough with out the tights.
1 werd you REALLY needta know: Roubaix

As in Roubaix fabric. Get some shorts, tights, and knickers in that fabric and you'll be warm. I dug out my Roubaix bib knickers the other day. Gonna take em home in the car 'just in case.' The rest of the stuff is gonna follow via moving truck.

M
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #17728
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Can't say I've seen a solution like that that would be suitable for bicycling. Are contacts an option for you?

I finally broke down and got contacts. My eye glasses do nto give enough protection from wind and crap, either. Riding without them (and using sports glasses) was only just tolerable. I have great far vision, but can't see crap close up. I had no idea what my odometer or anything else ever said.

So contacts it was. They really only get used when I am working out. My eyes are too friggin' dry for extended daily use, but I get enough tearing from wind when running or riding that they still work.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #17729
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
1 werd you REALLY needta know: Roubaix

As in Roubaix fabric. Get some shorts, tights, and knickers in that fabric and you'll be warm. I dug out my Roubaix bib knickers the other day. Gonna take em home in the car 'just in case.' The rest of the stuff is gonna follow via moving truck.

M
Oh goodie more internet shopping. Keeps my day from getting boring.

Thanks!

This fleece backed stuff is basically what the Pearl Izumi tights are made of.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 10:05 AM
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #17730
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
My Rx sunglasses are on Bucci "Steady" frames, which are a semi-wraparound variety, they are fine even bombing long steep hills in a full tuck. not being a fan of the 'terminator' look of the oaklies, nor their $100+ price tags, these have been a pretty good compromise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: