Girls in lycra shorts link

M
Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #17882
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Well, I added a new, much longer housing. It's 4" longer. Still seems to get pulled down when the bars go full tilt. I put a zip-tie to the other brake cable to hold then flat. I think I've seen this done on other bikes as well. So now I just need a new cable and make sure I leave enough slack.

My new crank just arrived. I bought the $79 Shimano Deore LX from JensonUSA. It's pretty nice. Now I have to get all of the tools together and see if I can swap the BB and cranks. Anyone know the torque for the BB? The cranks come with no instructions.
You should be able to look the instructions up on shimano's site. I'll look in a minute.
The torque the cups pretty tight, probably around 30 NM. Make sure you only torque the plastic cap on the non drive crank to about 2 NM. Barely finger tight. The two allen bolts on the non drive crank get torqued to 12-14 NM.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #17883
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
You should be able to look the instructions up on shimano's site. I'll look in a minute.
The torque the cups pretty tight, probably around 30 NM. Make sure you only torque the plastic cap on the non drive crank to about 2 NM. Barely finger tight. The two allen bolts on the non drive crank get torqued to 12-14 NM.
Ok, that's, I'll check that out.

Also whoever said to cross the brakeline, I did just that. Now it has a nice arch and pulls more linear. I'll have to remember that when I do the derailleurs.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #17884
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Last night I decided to go for a ride around my neighborhood. It's about 3.5 mi loop.I'll do 5 or 6 of them an ok ride. Hey, it's a ride.I haven't ridden in a week,I need it. I really wanted to try out my little strap on light. It runs on watch batteries bright as hell,for a tiny light. I've got a HiVis reflective vest and a 5LED light in for the back, I attached the tiny to my helmet. I'm quite sure cars will see me. The helmet light worked great. Did half a lap in the hood,And I thought why not go on a 15 mile loop, It's less boring than riding around the neighborhood.BRILLIANT After all I'm reflective as hell.( No I'm writing this from a hospital bed. )

Riding wasn't bad,I like riding at night. The Little light is good for a nice spot of light about 20' in front of the bike,nice and peaceful, maybe too peaceful. When I got away from the streetlights. It was peaceful and DARK. Then I started thinking the cars see me, so that's not a problem......DEER Hell it's Mating season. So I started thinking: I'm riding along and scare a doe or two, The doe is gonna run in front of me,followed closely the Buck. My Luck he'd think I was threat,and gore me. And I'm gonna see em 5' before I hit em or they hit me. This little senario went through my mind for about 6 miles. until I got to streetlights again. Gotta get a brighter light then I'll see 25' before I hit em I'm probaby just stick to neighbohood next time.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 05:19 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #17885
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I love Umbrella Girls. Always dressed in skimper outfits then podiom girls
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #17886
RLK

Oddometer: 6,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Izzat a Timberline? I have one (the same color even!) that I bought new nearly 20 years ago. It's still alive, too. I commuted on it last year and now my dad uses it to poke around on some of the local trails. Those early 90's GT frames are bombproof. Good onya!
I bought that thing for $75 at a pawn shop in about '96. It was subjected to my first motorized bike experiment with a Riobi trimmer motor and a home made jackshaft. More trouble than it was worth. Its original bars were moved to the red 10 speed that was stolen. Now i've stolen bars and wheels from another bike and it works great. Much lighter than the BCA Workhorse.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #17887
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
1.5 hours of night riding. Fun times...

Running bar and helmet lights. There are a ton of deer out there.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #17888
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, that's, I'll check that out.

Also whoever said to cross the brakeline, I did just that. Now it has a nice arch and pulls more linear. I'll have to remember that when I do the derailleurs.
Ok, it looks like the bottom bracket needs to be 35-50 NM, the plastic cap is .7-1.5 NM and the allen bolts are 12-15NM
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #17889
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Some trail in the Frederick watershed from my trip in June.

Frederick Watershed
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #17890
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Ok, it looks like the bottom bracket needs to be 35-50 NM, the plastic cap is .7-1.5 NM and the allen bolts are 12-15NM
That's for checking. What's the difference between 'Normal Type' (Band / Bracket) & Chain Case?

I'm gonna guess I would go with the Normal Band Type.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #17891
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Riding wasn't bad,I like riding at night. The Little light is good for a nice spot of light about 20' in front of the bike,nice and peaceful, maybe too peaceful. When I got away from the streetlights. It was peaceful and DARK. Then I started thinking the cars see me, so that's not a problem......DEER Hell it's Mating season. So I started thinking: I'm riding along and scare a doe or two, The doe is gonna run in front of me,followed closely the Buck. My Luck he'd think I was threat,and gore me. And I'm gonna see em 5' before I hit em or they hit me. This little senario went through my mind for about 6 miles. until I got to streetlights again. Gotta get a brighter light then I'll see 25' before I hit em I'm probaby just stick to neighbohood next time.
I did kinda the same thing the other night. I strapped the NiteRider MiNewt USB (the old style) that I got at a bike swap a few weeks back onto my helmet and went for a MTB ride on a local trail. It was way cool, the light on the helmet is waaayyyy better than just a light on the bars. But like Gummee said, judging the height/depth of trail obstacles is tough w/out both. I got launched unexpectedly off a few whoops that didn't look as tall as they were! Anyhoo, it was all very quiet and peaceful and (outside of the throw of the light) DARK! I started thinking about all the critters that I might come across/suprise/run over. Possums turned to racoons turned to deer turned to black bear, etc. I turned around when every manzanita bush started to look like a mountain lion.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #17892
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Its also hard to judge how wide trees are

From back in the days when HID and LED lights didn't exist.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #17893
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,813
@Lewy: BTDT

I've ridden on nite rides with others where my light died partway thru the ride. I've gotten pretty good at riding fairly close behind someone and using their light to ride by. NOT recommended, but hey! ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

M
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #17894
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's for checking. What's the difference between 'Normal Type' (Band / Bracket) & Chain Case?

I'm gonna guess I would go with the Normal Band Type.
I think you might be referring to the front derailuer. In that case you have a normal. The other type is a e-type, that uses the bottom bracket as it's mounting point.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #17895
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
I'm running the Nite rider Mynewt 150, not sure its cheap, but its comfy on a night gravel ride.

+1 this is what I use for commuting and night rides. Very bright !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: