Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #17926
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Riding in the PNWet requires some gear,
How do you guys get used to the feeling that you are walking around with a loaded diaper, or a wad of TP in your shorts when off the bike? Driving me nuts.

And the real loaded (pun intended) question: Are the padded shorts a real necessity? Or is it just a lemming sort of thing? The popular kids wear them so everyone else must follow the fashion statement like all those 'race' jerseys all the riders wear.

Ignore my poking fun a little bit as there is a serious question in there. As a new rider I am finding it hard to answer the question about all the fancy spandex clad clothing. Why? Why them over shorts and a t-shirt? I can understand the chamois lined shorts for sweat control there and the chaffing that can happen.... but all the other stuff? It is not like it is armored crash protection like Motoport, Stitch, etc.

Help a newb understand.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #17927
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
How do you guys get used to the feeling that you are walking around with a loaded diaper, or a wad of TP in your shorts when off the bike? Driving me nuts.

And the real loaded (pun intended) question: Are the padded shorts a real necessity? Or is it just a lemming sort of thing? The popular kids wear them so everyone else must follow the fashion statement like all those 'race' jerseys all the riders wear.

Ignore my poking fun a little bit as there is a serious question in there. As a new rider I am finding it hard to answer the question about all the fancy spandex clad clothing. Why? Why them over shorts and a t-shirt? I can understand the chamois lined shorts for sweat control there and the chaffing that can happen.... but all the other stuff? It is not like it is armored crash protection like Motoport, Stitch, etc.

Help a newb understand.
Chicks dig it.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #17928
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:

Yes, you get used to it.

As for whether or not you really need them- it's a personal preference thing.

I found them to be a *HUGE* help when I was starting out.

Now, anything under 50 miles and I don't really notice not having them.

Except when doing anything remotely technical mountain biking or cyclocross. I insist on the tightest spandex I can squeeze into. I always insist on keep a close tab on the current location of my junk in those activities.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #17929
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville
Chicks dig it.
I think it would be quite the opposite in my case.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #17930
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:

Help a newb understand.
I never got over the feeling like there was a wad of TP in my shorts when I was off the bike, but that is not what the stuff was designed for. Just like cycling shoes are not designed to be comfortable waking shoes.

Like what was said above, the shorts are a real help when you don't ride a lot. When I was riding 5-6 days a week, I did need them. They help with chafing, so once your skin toughens up, you don't need them as much.

The tight clothing on the road is nice because loose baggy stuff tends to flap in the wind and will get pretty annoying after a while. It also asorbs sweat and dries faster than cotton. In cooler weather it will still insulate even when wet with sweat.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #17931
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:

Help a newb understand.

The shorts are for riding a bicycle not walking around in , the 80s are over. A cycling jersey will wick sweat away from your body , a t shirt is like a sponge and just gets heavy and gnarly when wet. May take a couple tries in finding a short that has a chamois that you find comfortable.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #17932
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I never got over the feeling like there was a wad of TP in my shorts when I was off the bike, but that is not what the stuff was designed for. Just like cycling shoes are not designed to be comfortable waking shoes.

Like what was said above, the shorts are a real help when you don't ride a lot. When I was riding 5-6 days a week, I did need them. They help with chafing, so once your skin toughens up, you don't need them as much.

The tight clothing on the road is nice because loose baggy stuff tends to flap in the wind and will get pretty annoying after a while. It also asorbs sweat and dries faster than cotton. In cooler weather it will still insulate even when wet with sweat.

this

ps - you wouldn't walk around much in an aerostich or ski clothing and boots either.

Try going without the modern bike clothing for a while, you'll eventually come around and realize it's the most comfortable option.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #17933
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,516
Low buck shorts feel more like the wadded TP, and work about as well for about as long. I've ridden since shorts were wool and chamios was real.
The new stuff works better. zero chaffing which is really good.
Ride 100 miles wearing cargo shorts and tighty whities. You will know the answer to whether bike shorts are required or not, for the next week at least. I know this from personal experience. sometimes the only way to truely learn stuff is to make all the possible mistakes.
Think your boxers will work fine?
Try this, suit up, swing your leg over the bike and go for a short pedal. Stand on the pedals, then sit. If that action doesn't demonstrate why a little support is required, well...

When I came back to cycling three or four years ago I chose mountain bike shoes mainly because I was riding the MTB most since it's gears made it possible to pedal up my hill the long shallower way and not either fall over or make my heart explode.
I found upon swapping to the road bike pedals and shoes I could actually have a good bit of traction on roadie type surfaces over my old carbon fiber bottomed road shoes with ti cleats.
Now, I won't change back. I'm not ever going to race again. That is a promise. Never for any reason will I ever enter any race. I'm done with that part of my life. I had a good time when I did it and I didn't die. I'm over it.

I ride for two reasons:
1. Fitness.
2. I like it.
The fitness part makes me better at simply walking around. I'm also better on the motorcycle, and that is the real underlying reason I got back on my bicycles. I am planning to be conditioned to a state where I can ride the TAT by myself day after day, someday before I retire. And the CDT. Same deal.

I want to be able to enjoy riding my big fat Adventure loaded up and on dirt or those damn sand roads we get down south.
I've spent a ton of money on gear for motorcycling and an almost equal sum in cycling. This riding in two climates is a killer. The cross-over is such a small part of the year.

Bottom line I got used to bicycle shorts so long ago, I don't remember what it felt like to feel weird. Kind of like wearing motorcycle boots and gear so much that it feel like my usual lounge wear, cargo shorts and flip-flops. When I wasn't flying off for work so much I managed to average 33,000 miles a year. 100% of that in full gear. Every type of riding from adventure to coffee to errands to shopping to commuting to work and back. I notice I don't have my motorcycle gear on because I'm missing some pocket I'm used to having. (destroyed a cell phone that way once, going for that inside pocket. wasn't there. Cell hit the street and exploded.

Those shorts hanging in my hotel shower are $155.

Yeah. My initial reaction as well. But, I can ride for 60 miles and no harm comes from that other than I am the owner of a pair of pretty useless legs at that stage of the proceedings.

So the cost of the photo:
Rain Jacket, Sale price $99, regular price $150
Tights $120
Jersey $90
Gloves $40
skull cap $20
Bib Shorts $155
Add shoes, helmet, and things look like I'm geared up for the motorcycle.
I figure to add a vest and shoe covers.
That should do me for up here in the PNWet. It also means I'll have the gear I need if I am silly enough to get talked into Colorado in the winter. Yeah, I'd take my bike and go for a ride with some old racing buddies. And my hockey skates. I gave away my ski gear long ago and never looked back.

Mr Head screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 10:37 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #17934
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
So the cost of the photo:
Rain Jacket, Sale price $99, regular price $150
Tights $120
Jersey $90
Gloves $40
skull cap $20
Bib Shorts $155
Great post - but I wanted to talk about this. The cost of my riding gear was important because I have such little money to begin with that every damn dollar counted. You can find really nice stuff for cheap if you look hard enough. My riding closet:

Pearl Izumi cycling shorts: $20 (clearance from $90)
UnderArmour cold weather t-shirt: $14 (clearance from $60)
Cotton/Spandex tank top: $5 (clearance from $35)
Lightweight waterproof hi-vi riding jacket: $45 (clearance from $199)
UnderArmour tights: $30 (clearance from $80)
Skull cap: $5 (sale price from $8)
Gloves: $11 (regular price!)

$130 vs $524

I had the tights, cold weather shirt and skull cap from my moto closet - so that worked out great.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #17935
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,390
I've got the same bibs. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to cycling clothing. Just don't put them in a clothes dryer, as the heat will kill the elastic over time.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #17936
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I always insist on keep a close tab on the current location of my junk in those activities.
I dont have that problem. My wife keeps them safe in her purse.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #17937
Sasquatch
Banned

Thank you for answering my questions. Makes sense now. Now to find the "Big and Tall" bike gear section. Looked at a few places for 4xl jerseys and nothing past 2x.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #17938
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions. Makes sense now. Now to find the "Big and Tall" bike gear section. Looked at a few places for 4xl jerseys and nothing past 2x.
Try these guys but just be warned, 2X in bike gear size is NOT 2X in regular clothing size so go as big as you can.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #17939
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,423
+1. That is where I started getting my stuff. Go with the primal gear also, they are a little longer and fit better if you can.

Buy a tube of Charmois butt butter also. Trust me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Try these guys but just be warned, 2X in bike gear size is NOT 2X in regular clothing size so go as big as you can.

jocflier screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 12:29 PM
jocflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #17940
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,453
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: