Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #17941
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
How do you guys get used to the feeling that you are walking around with a loaded diaper, or a wad of TP in your shorts when off the bike? Driving me nuts.

And the real loaded (pun intended) question: Are the padded shorts a real necessity? Or is it just a lemming sort of thing? The popular kids wear them so everyone else must follow the fashion statement like all those 'race' jerseys all the riders wear.

Ignore my poking fun a little bit as there is a serious question in there. As a new rider I am finding it hard to answer the question about all the fancy spandex clad clothing. Why? Why them over shorts and a t-shirt? I can understand the chamois lined shorts for sweat control there and the chaffing that can happen.... but all the other stuff? It is not like it is armored crash protection like Motoport, Stitch, etc.

Help a newb understand.
Well, I'm really just getting back into it but I started riding as a kid and only stopped much later in life. Back then we didn't have anything fancy and just rode in street clothes. I was never really a roadie so I'm standing as much as I'm sitting. Still, after a while your seat area just toughens up and you get used to it. Even now, after a decade of being out of it, I can jump on a bike and not be sore.

The clothes for the most part is functional and not fashion even though it might look the opposite. The materials wick sweat off the body which helps keep you cool. The compression helps prevent muscle strain and fatigue. When you're starting out or are going on long rides you'll begin to feel the burning in the legs. This helps with that.

I second VelvtRide's recommendation. Look for year end closeouts. Actually, this is a good time to be shopping. Usually the ugly colors are the ones to drop in price faster so if you're not caring what they look like, then it would be a better deal.

If you're having issues with your seat then either get a new seat (try some out if you can and check review sites) and/or get some shorts with the chamois (cheap shouldn't be confused with deal/inexpensive. Quality is typically more expensive so you're not just paying for a name.). Otherwise just tough it out. With more miles under your belt, you'll just get used to it until it stops being an issue. With more miles, you'll sort of figure out what you need as you're body gets used to riding. In any case don't let it get in the way of riding.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #17942
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Great post - but I wanted to talk about this. The cost of my riding gear was important because I have such little money to begin with that every damn dollar counted. You can find really nice stuff for cheap if you look hard enough. My riding closet:

Pearl Izumi cycling shorts: $20 (clearance from $90)
UnderArmour cold weather t-shirt: $14 (clearance from $60)
Cotton/Spandex tank top: $5 (clearance from $35)
Lightweight waterproof hi-vi riding jacket: $45 (clearance from $199)
UnderArmour tights: $30 (clearance from $80)
Skull cap: $5 (sale price from $8)
Gloves: $11 (regular price!)

$130 vs $524

I had the tights, cold weather shirt and skull cap from my moto closet - so that worked out great.
Nice!

I need you to shop for me.
When I raced I never ever paid anywhere close to even wholesale for gear. Helmets were about $15, shorts and jersey, $40 or so and that was team gear.
When all that went away I never noticed I had this big pile of gear from years of riding.

Then I got, well bigger. And stuff either didn't fit or in the case of a pair of shorts, lost all elasticity. This was ugly enough to be funny. I should have taken a picture.
The gloves that the padding inside the palms turned to dust, and when the seam failed it ran out like sand from an hour glass.

Now I find my self with a day to look for stuff in a town I don't really know. So I go looking, but now, I'm also looking for stuff that is going to fit right. With that Jersey for instance I narrowed it down to three. I had thought about the UA warm top, but have no idea how those are sized and of course the two places I went looking didn't have anything that was even close and of course not on sale.

I did manage to get that Pearl Izumi rain jacket thing that really doesn't breathe on a good sale at REI, but I suspect that is maybe why.
I'm hoping one of my old riding jackets isn't too worn out to work for one more winter. And that I can fit into it.

But, on the good side all that black is slimming...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #17943
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Nice!

I need you to shop for me.
My dad and I have found bargains at second hand shops, too. There are many employees there that absolutely DO NOT understand the value of certain type clothing.

Look around - it took me nearly 2 years to find all of that.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #17944
Jeffy
Hmm...

Took a quick ride, maybe 6 miles to test my wheels and brakes. Turns out my head set was loose and I ended up tightening it too much right before the ride. Gotta fix that. Also noticed that the spacer is cracked and missing 3mm in it. It's a spacer so I don't think it's an issue. Also the seal on the lock ring is torn.

Thought about maybe replacing the whole headset though. Maybe install a vintage Shimano LX or DX as it's 1-1/8" threaded. Any others I should consider? I figure prices aren't going to get any lower then what they already are.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #17945
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Anyone have an old suspension fork that would fit on an old Scott threaded headstock mountain bike that they would like to get rid of cheap? It is for my wife's bike. She is not picky, just something with some spring to it to soften the hits.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #17946
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Anyone have an old suspension fork that would fit on an old Scott threaded headstock mountain bike that they would like to get rid of cheap? It is for my wife's bike. She is not picky, just something with some spring to it to soften the hits.
You might want to post a picture of the bike so it can be dated. That will give you an idea if it will even take a shock without screwing up the geometry. Also measure the head set.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #17947
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
I have found that once you know your sizing in the manufacture of choice,many good deals can be found on E-bay but you have to be careful of the knock off stuff as it will not be up to par in most cases. In Ontario we have a show in the fall that blows stuff out at some good prices. Surely State side has some blow out shows in the fall/spring. In Canada we have Mount Co-op that offers some high quality clothing for reasonably good prices as well.

I also found that alot of the cycling gear can be used on the moto as well,like for instance some of the tops for winter cycling is nice under the moto gear in the colder weather.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #17948
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Took a quick ride, maybe 6 miles to test my wheels and brakes. Turns out my head set was loose and I ended up tightening it too much right before the ride. Gotta fix that. Also noticed that the spacer is cracked and missing 3mm in it. It's a spacer so I don't think it's an issue. Also the seal on the lock ring is torn.

Thought about maybe replacing the whole headset though. Maybe install a vintage Shimano LX or DX as it's 1-1/8" threaded. Any others I should consider? I figure prices aren't going to get any lower then what they already are.
Chris King, http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_gnut

trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #17949
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
My dad and I have found bargains at second hand shops, too. There are many employees there that absolutely DO NOT understand the value of certain type clothing.

Look around - it took me nearly 2 years to find all of that.
Good tip. I had not thought to look there. I'll have to get my shoppers on alert.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #17950
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Seems like a little much for a vintage bike. I mean the bike is probably worth $100-200, not including all of the stuff I've replaced so far.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #17951
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Upside to going King is you can get a threadless adaptor kit for it later to make it t-less.

Oh, and they're pretty much 'install and forget' things.

If you can find one, the American Classic Tri-Lock is another good bet. Period correct.

HTH

M
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #17952
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Any bike shop that can order from J&B or SBS can get ya one for less than $100

M
Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #17953
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Upside to going King is you can get a threadless adaptor kit for it later to make it t-less.

Oh, and they're pretty much 'install and forget' things.

If you can find one, the American Classic Tri-Lock is another good bet. Period correct.

HTH

M
That would require a new fork thought right? I'm not planning on getting a new fork as it's going to screw up the geometry, or so I've been told. (would have liked a suspension though.) Also, I pulled the fork and found out my measurements were all wrong. It's a 1" OD Steerer with a 22.2 ID. The bearings look good and the races are fine. Nice and smooth. The old grease was like tree sap though. The only problem I have I think is that the keyed washer broke. Gotta find a replacement.

Oh and on another front, I noticed that my brake cable is getting pinched. Or at least the outer plastic sleeve is. This only seems to happen when I crank the bars 90*. I have already cut the cable so I can't redo it. I have about 1.5" of cable sticking out at the brake.

Should I pull the cable and replace the sleeve (keep the same length) or just leave it?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #17954
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
That would require a new fork thought right? I'm not planning on getting a new fork as it's going to screw up the geometry, or so I've been told. (would have liked a suspension though.) Also, I pulled the fork and found out my measurements were all wrong. It's a 1" OD Steerer with a 22.2 ID. The bearings look good and the races are fine. Nice and smooth. The old grease was like tree sap though. The only problem I have I think is that the keyed washer broke. Gotta find a replacement.

Oh and on another front, I noticed that my brake cable is getting pinched. Or at least the outer plastic sleeve is. This only seems to happen when I crank the bars 90*. I have already cut the cable so I can't redo it. I have about 1.5" of cable sticking out at the brake.

Should I pull the cable and replace the sleeve (keep the same length) or just leave it?

Cable should go around the other side of the stem. You may need longer housing and a new inner wire. If you don't need longer, just keep what you've got, but check it for fraying at that kink every once in a while.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #17955
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Great looking bike! Many happy and safe miles to you.

Monday my Streetfighter was stolen. It came to me as a basket case 10 speed and I set it up just how I wanted it w/ straight bars, thumb shifters, great breakes, fender, rack headlight... had it ready for lots more daily driver use. I'd just finished adjusting everything so I didn't have my lock. The first test ride down to 7-11 I just leaned it against the firewood. I was in the store 5 minutes tops and spent too long reading the ingredients in a new RockStar flavor and it was gone.
Thanks for the sentiment and sorry to hear your news. Glad you were able to replace it so quickly!

I did 30 miles last weekend throught some rolling hills east of me (Fountain Hills) and it kicked my butt. I did purchase clipless pedals since my photo and that is making my riding more efficient. Thinking of becoming more serious about this hobby......
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: