Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #17941
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Ya needta get the derailleur down where it wants to be. 3mm off the outer chainring.

Shift better among other things.

M
Good eye!

He is right, it will make a huge difference when the front derailuer is at the correct height.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #17942
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy

These guy's where all over the trail at the end of my street so I turned back.

Good thinking, I know people who have been attacked by turkey while riding bikes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #17943
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Good eye!

He is right, it will make a huge difference when the front derailuer is at the correct height.
I do this shit for a living.

Oh, speaking of which... One of the side bennies to managing a bicycle shop is leftovers. As in I just inherited an Allez A-1 frame/fork/hs/wheels that someone left at the shop forever and a day ago. Happens to be my size too! I'm thinking about making it into a Sachs New Success bike IF I can find the parts. Liked that stuff when I had it in the 90s. Since this bike seems to be about the same vintage (1" threaded HS, AL fork) it seems to fit.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #17944
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,416
Quote:
Ya needta get the derailleur down where it wants to be. 3mm off the outer chainring.

Shift better among other things.

M
Where do I measure the 3mm from?

Jeffy screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 07:11 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #17945
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Good thinking, I know people who have been attacked by turkey while riding bikes.
Yeah, they own the hills around here. I've seen a hen on some of the paved trail's too. The flock was pretty big. Only half if it was pictured. The other half was in the valley to the right.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #17946
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Where do I measure the 3mm from?
Tops of the teeth on the outer chainring to the bottom radius of the cage of the front derailleur.

You *may* need a new ft der. That old-skool XT don't have the right radius. Try it first. With the thumbies, you may be OK. Upgrade to rapidfire and you'll have issues with it.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #17947
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Tops of the teeth on the outer chainring to the bottom radius of the cage of the front derailleur.

You *may* need a new ft der. That old-skool XT don't have the right radius. Try it first. With the thumbies, you may be OK. Upgrade to rapidfire and you'll have issues with it.

M
I checked the instructions and it actually says how to do that! I would never have noticed though.

I think I'm going to keep the thumbies. If I go Rapid fires I'll probably end up going to 9-speed.

I got the XT derailleur when I got a replacement XT shifter from a guy on MTBR. It's a lot nicer then my old Exage LX.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #17948
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I got the XT derailleur when I got a replacement XT shifter from a guy on MTBR. It's a lot nicer then my old Exage LX.
Yeah it is!

Prolly sometime over the winter, I'm gonna try and make a 'poor man's 2x10' setup. I'll post up info when the stuff gets done.

M
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #17949
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,543
This is about a mile from my house and I ride by it a couple of time a week.

So sad and it pisses me off at the same time. Be carefull out there everyone.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/47127

Joc
Old 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #17950
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:

M
So the edge of the derailleur should be right above the largest ring when setting the height?

I'm also noticing binding when I shift to the extremes. In granny low, the chain hits the rear derailleur. So I guess there is too much slack on the chain? The old low ring was 28T. The new one is 22T. Also, I'm wondering if I should shim the BB over to the non-drive side. Seems to be over a bit more then it used to which is also causing binding.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #17951
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
So the edge of the derailleur should be right above the largest ring when setting the height?

I'm also noticing binding when I shift to the extremes. In granny low, the chain hits the rear derailleur. So I guess there is too much slack on the chain? The old low ring was 28T. The new one is 22T. Also, I'm wondering if I should shim the BB over to the non-drive side. Seems to be over a bit more then it used to which is also causing binding.
You'll hafta pull the cage out a hair to get lined up straight, as well as to set the height. AFA the binding, that's taken care of by the limit screws. I'd bet Park Tools' website has a good demo...

M
Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #17952
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
You'll hafta pull the cage out a hair to get lined up straight, as well as to set the height. AFA the binding, that's taken care of by the limit screws. I'd bet Park Tools' website has a good demo...

M
I think I have it set up OK but it still clatters a bit. The problem I see is the derailleur gears are pitched inwards a bit because it's following the chain stay. The crank is a bit more outboard and so the bottom gear on the derailleur is getting caught on the links in the chain occasionally. Any way to correct this? Shim the crank in? Would this be corrected if I switched to a 9-speed derailleur?

I also lowered the front derailleur. It's probably more then 3mm but less then 6mm. I can't lower it any further since it hits the chain stay. Shifts nicer though.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #17953
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 392
Looking for maps

Hope i'm not disrupting the flow of the thread here but i'm not having any luck anywhere else. It looks like life has smiled on me and i may get to take a cross country bicycle ride next summer I'm looking for a set of AC Northern Tier maps http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636317 . I'm hoping for a used set (re: cheap) as i took a 25% pay cut to get the time to do this sort of thing. Will probably also be in the market for some used bike luggage as well at some point. (rear panniers, handlebar bag w/map pocket, etc).

The biggest ride i've done to date is Oklahoma Freewheel (450 miles) so this is a HUGE step for me.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #17954
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Is anyone else thinking about doing ragbrai next summer?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #17955
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
I think I have it set up OK but it still clatters a bit. The problem I see is the derailleur gears are pitched inwards a bit because it's following the chain stay. The crank is a bit more outboard and so the bottom gear on the derailleur is getting caught on the links in the chain occasionally. Any way to correct this? Shim the crank in? Would this be corrected if I switched to a 9-speed derailleur?

In your first pic you may have chainline (chainrings moved outboard) issues or the derailleur hanger may be twisted. More likely chainline.

In the second pic it appears that your chain is too long now that you have the compact crank. The chain should be one inch longer than the length necessary to wrap the big ring and large cog, not running through the rear derailleur.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: