Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #17971
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy

Well, after pulling the head set all apart, I think I'll probably keep what's there. The bearings are OK and the races look good. The only problem is the seal on the lock nut is torn slightly and the key on the washer is broken. I might get a replacement later but it probably won't be a Chris King. Too expensive and really overkill for what I need. I'll probably get a Shimano LX/DX or something if I see one for a decent price. I don't mind using more modern parts but I don't want to spend too much either.

Are there any other brands that aren't as $$$ as the King but of decent quality?

You don't need a fashion/$$$ headset, buy a mid level Cane Creek, which is as smooth as silk, and easy to adjust/work with.

They're like 20 to 50 bucks.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #17972
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,095
Thumb

Damn that really turned out nice Steverino !!
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #17973
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
You don't need a fashion/$$$ headset, buy a mid level Cane Creek, which is as smooth as silk, and easy to adjust/work with.

They're like 20 to 50 bucks.
More like $90-100. The one that fits is a Cane Creek 100.TR 1"
Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #17974
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Some things ya just gotta learn the hard way.

I can't tell you how many beginner cyclists I've tried to get to skip the whole progression. Almost to a person, they've decided to do it the hard way.

(I know I did! ) M
Doing it the "hard" way lets you learn why you have to buy at least a certain level of components and clothing. Plus the fact that it lets you find the necessary level for YOU, rather than the recommended level from someone that may need more or less quality/durability/functionality.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #17975
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Yeah, housings, ferrels as well as rubber boots.

I've heard Tange Levin is supposed to be a decent modern headset that will work. Anyone heard of it?
Tange's are OK. I like the Shimano headsets. Even Cane Creek is better'n Tange, but I'm not sure if they're making a 1" threaded headset any more.

My stuff just got here. Lemme look thru the bag of headsets and see if there's anything in there I think you'll like. I'll PM you the list. (I have a collection of older stuff that I've been 'saving' for 'something.')

M
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #17976
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Tange's are OK. I like the Shimano headsets. Even Cane Creek is better'n Tange, but I'm not sure if they're making a 1" threaded headset any more.

My stuff just got here. Lemme look thru the bag of headsets and see if there's anything in there I think you'll like. I'll PM you the list. (I have a collection of older stuff that I've been 'saving' for 'something.')

M
OK, thanks!

Cane does make a 1" It's the 100.TR. Pricey though.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #17977
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
With this time change upon us, any cyclists thinking about investing in head/handlebar lights? Anyone got a recommendation for a relatively cheap light?

For the last six months I have looked forward to my after-work mountain bike rides. Seems like I am going to have to buy a light system to keep doing it through the winter, though.

Ryan
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #17978
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi03
With this time change upon us, any cyclists thinking about investing in head/handlebar lights? Anyone got a recommendation for a relatively cheap light?

For the last six months I have looked forward to my after-work mountain bike rides. Seems like I am going to have to buy a light system to keep doing it through the winter, though.

Ryan
I'm running the Nite rider Mynewt 150, not sure its cheap, but its comfy on a night gravel ride.

Pro's: Rechargeable(mini usb), Fairly bright, 3 briteness levels, battery lasts 3 hours or so.
Cons:It's the only device i have now that uses mini usb, I haven't ridden with it on a mountain bike.

Works well, a friend of mine has been running his for a few years now. I would probbably buy this again or step up to the 250

Brek81 screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 12:34 PM
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #17979
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
You have it mounted to your helmet or bike? BTW, thanks for the recommendation.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
I'm running the Night rider Mynewt 150, not sure its cheap, but its comfy on a night gravel ride.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #17980
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
You have it mounted to your helmet or bike? BTW, thanks for the recommendation.

Ryan
handlebar mount, never ridden with a helmet mount
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #17981
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Ryan
Even the DIY guys are going to the MagicShine on Deal Extreme.

For $80 you get a decent light and a (formerly iffy) battery. I figger worst case, get another battery from batteryspace.com and call it good.

I've got a milk crate full of NiteRider 6v systems with dead batteries. I either needta buy myself a MS or figger a way to get cheap batteries for my 6v stuff. Having said that, I was riding in Sandy Eggo with guys with NR HID systems. Hadta have em ride in front of me cause my 6v system wouldn't throw enough light to clear the shadow from the light(s) behind me!

M
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #17982
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
mounting a light below your eye level (bars) allows the light to cast shadows you can see, giving you very good perception of what's coming up on you. Having it above your eyes allows you better visibility when you're turning. The best secenario is to have both with the bar mounted light being the brighter of the two. If you can only get one try it in both spots to see what works best for you.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #17983
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
handlebar mount, never ridden with a helmet mount
Off-roading, its nice to have both.

Wide beam on the bars and a spot on the helmet. Only running the helmet = shadows in line with your eyes and you can't always tell how big that rock yer about to hit is... DAMHIK

M

damn! d by the Ti dood
Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #17984
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Off-roading, its nice to have both.

Wide beam on the bars and a spot on the helmet. Only running the helmet = shadows in line with your eyes and you can't always tell how big that rock yer about to hit is... DAMHIK

M

damn! d by the Ti dood
what's 205'd?

And where is Sandy Eggo? In NoVA? I'll likely be heading back east next summer again with family in tow so my daughter can see her grandparents. Is this Sandy place worth the trip down from MD? I spent nearly 20 years regularly riding Avalon, Gambrill and a few other places in MD.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #17985
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles
what's 205'd?

And where is Sandy Eggo? In NoVA? I'll likely be heading back east next summer again with family in tow so my daughter can see her grandparents. Is this Sandy place worth the trip down from MD? I spent nearly 20 years regularly riding Avalon, Gambrill and a few other places in MD.
Uhh 205-d means that 'we've heard that before.' Shorthand for all the posts about the dood on the RC-51 'clocked at 205mph' a few years back.

Sandy Eggo = San Diego. Nowhere near NoVA. Lots of great riding tho.

I'm typically a roadie when I'm in NoVA. I live out in the cowfields. Drive to go riding? Bad. I don't like to do it. So, I hop on the road bike, and bada bing! bada boom! I'm in the middle of the places that people drive to come ride.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 02:03 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: