User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #18046
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Checked out your blog. Very cool about your Jardine tarp. He was VERY influential in my backpacking education. I got his PCT book back in high school, and then got Beyond Backpacking years later. I, too, used some of his diagrams in his books to make stuff sacks, a tarp, etc (even before him and his wife started making the DIY kits).

I employed a lot of his philosophy in my 2005 AT thru-hike too. However, it wasn't until recently that I ditched my hiking poles and began to appreciate using an umbrella for rainy hiking. Very nice! I actually just got back from a 3 day hike where using an ultralight umbrella served me well.

Anyway......

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Not sure, but the gear is from Revelate Designs. Eric makes some great gear.

@Gummee- Trailer would be an option, but that's more weight. This is pretty light. I've got a sleeping bag, pad, ground cover, tarp, stakes and 150oz of water on there. Backpack has some clothes, penny can stove, fuel and food.

I've been sharing the setup on my blog here.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #18047
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
I've been working out my bikepacking setup on the Salsa Fargo. Thought I'd share a pic of it.
Sweet!

Kinda hoping a couple of those older Fargo frames might start showing up on eBay with the newer frames out now. No dice yet...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #18048
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Go Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
I've been working out my bikepacking setup on the Salsa Fargo. Thought I'd share a pic of it.
Dayum - that Fargo looks....small.

As a big/tall/ugly/duffus, I had to go with the XL version:

I'll look at your blog when I get home - very interested in your experiences.

From last week:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #18049
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
I remember reading once there were about four times as many bicycles in the US as there are cars. Sadly most of those bikes go un-ridden in garages all over America.
Similar to the story of motorcycles. I'd read that the average life span of a sport bike was about 5,000 miles before it was tossed into the weeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
... It kinda sucks but there are always more newbies out there to keep buying bikes from you.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #18050
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,295
Yep, mine is a small. I have ordered a new frame though and I'm moving up to a Medium. I want a larger frame bag as the small is just too small. Just looking at the pictures of your frame bag and mine you can see a huge difference.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #18051
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Do you notice the frame bags when they are on? I've been looking at some sort of luggage all summer, as i actually do some traveling on the bicycle and hate backpacks.
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #18052
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Hey k7...

[QUOTE=k7;14583153].Stopped for lunch:

[QUOTE=k7;14583153]

Which handlebar bag set up are you using from Revelate designs? I am interested in a bag that will fit drop bars, and your set up looks solid.

Thanks-
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #18053
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
So I woke up to howling winds and torrential rains here in the DC area. That was 0500 or so. Yup. Weatherpeople were right. So I posted here, looked for info on my 'soon to be mine' Husky TE-250 (any of y'all know if an 05 cylinder/piston fits an 07?) and watched it rain.

I looked on the weather thingy and saw that the line of rain was about to pass over. Hmmm I wonder if I wait till 1100 or so whether it'll stop?

I was hemming and hawing. Enough so that I stuck the trainer/rain bike on the trainer.

Then I looked out westwards and noticed some patches of bluer clouds

Awww screwit! I'ma gonna go riding outside even iffen it makes me wet! So I duded up in my 'rain' jacket, etc.

Wouldn't ya know it! Blue skies.

With them blue skies came headwinds tho. I fought a headwind all the way from my house to where I turned left and headed into The Plains, VA. I STILL sorta kinda had a headwind till I turned left again on Rt 55 and headed back towards the house.

At this point, my legs are tired. As in 'I'm not sure if I can make it up any more hills' tired. I had 3 choices: straight back on 55 the way I came which is mostly flat, 2. back towards Warrenton and turn left at Airlie convention ctr and C. turn on Beverly Mill and deal with a 6-pack of hills before reaching Vint Hill Farms Station and relatively flat riding.

That 6-pack of hills like to kill me! Only thing helping was the tailwind.

The last hill I hadta climb was a few miles from home. Its MAYBE 100m long. It like to kill me too. (oh, if yer wondering that's southern for 'DAMN! that sucked)

So here I am, having just finished a bowl of raisin bran crunch typing away, recovering. Tomorrow's ride is gonna be EASY!!

Best part of the day? I was the only one out on a bicycle (that I saw). YAY for being tenacious (or stoopit!) enough to go out anyway. 'Course, now I gotta go clean up the bike. Oh well. That'll give me something to do tomorrow at the shop.

M
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #18054
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
Yep, mine is a small. I have ordered a new frame though and I'm moving up to a Medium. I want a larger frame bag as the small is just too small. Just looking at the pictures of your frame bag and mine you can see a huge difference.
I don't recall if it starts with the "L" or the "XL" but at that size, it comes with a divider that can be removed. That's nice to keep things from settling down and bulging out.

That....errr... kind of describes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
Do you notice the frame bags when they are on? I've been looking at some sort of luggage all summer, as i actually do some traveling on the bicycle and hate backpacks.
Only when it comes tiime to hike-a-bike since they make it more of a challenge to pick up the bike from inside the frame. Other than that, it fits like a dream. Depending on your bike, Eric may need you to trace out the inside and send it to him if he doesn't have a pattern. He does have them for many popular frames including the Fargo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon
Which handlebar bag set up are you using from Revelate designs? I am interested in a bag that will fit drop bars, and your set up looks solid.

Thanks-
It's solid and is a combination of the harness and the pocket. It's a very, very solid design.

In fact, as ErrinV will also hopefully confirm, the Revelate stuff is all very well designed and the materials are top-shelf. One caution: Eric's lead time is 6-8 weeks and it'll likely increase from now through summer as everyone start's thinking about next season. The wait is worth it.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #18055
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
How much is too much?

It seems that I do not know the answer to that question as a little (demented) voice in my head says "sure ya can do it."

http://almanzo100.blogspot.com/2010/11/raising-bar.html

162 miles. That's a shit-load of gravel. I finished two gravel centuries with Askel this year that left me feeling rather pleased with myself.

Still. Another 62 miles. A metric century of gravel left to go after the first hundo.

I should be well trained for it if everything goes like planned. The http://ragnarok105.blogspot.com/ is six weeks prior, assuming my card gets drawn. The Rag is now a lottery with a 105 rider limit. I have another road century penciled in for two weeks prior...

I'm sure Askel will be along to talk sense into me.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #18056
ErrinV
D Boon!

Yes, the Revelate gear is tops, and Eric is a great guy to work with too.

@Bimble--What about the Dirty Kanza 200?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #18057
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
I'm sure Askel will be along to talk sense into me.
Go for it!

It's a nice stepping stone for when you sign up for this the following month:

http://www.transwisconsin.com/

162 miles is pretty daunting, but honestly- it doesn't scare the crap out of me nearly as much as the 50k noquemanon: http://www.noquemanon.com/

I still haven't convinced myself to sign up for that again just yet.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #18058
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
7 inches of snow yesterday. Bike is hibernating. Just when I was starting to really dig riding it.

Oh well. I am taking a class on Saturday to set me up so I can volunteer for the local bicycle charity. They rebuild hundreds of bikes to get them in the hands of poor kids. They did over a thousand bikes this year and expect to hand out over 200 right before Christmas. It is the same place I bought both my wife's and my mt. bikes.

www.boisebicycleproject.org if you want to check it out. Pretty cool place.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #18059
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Go for it!

It's a nice stepping stone for when you sign up for this the following month:

http://www.transwisconsin.com/

Oh yeah, The Transwisconsin. That is my friend Joe's race. That was on my list for next year, but I have other things in line now.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #18060
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
7 inches of snow yesterday. Bike is hibernating. Just when I was starting to really dig riding it.
Same here. We have rain and freezing temps but no snow. Lots of black ice though. I'm gonna have to wait until Spring to ride again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: