User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #18046
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,033
Finally got back south. Saturday was a full day working off the honey-do list. Microwave installed. Daughter's TV installed. Old TV installed in the garage and DVD player moved there.

So, Sunday was a morning to ride. 80 degree day 0% humidity, and a light breeze. Clear blue skies.

To the bike path!

We rode to the Pond, and stopped at Starbucks for some coffee and a some calorie intake. Can't have any of us wasitngaway now.

On the way back I stopped for a nature break, and found this little guy.

Looked to have an eye problem,

So a little adventure movie was made,
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #18047
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Those the big ones? I use the ones that fit this thing,

16??
Yup, that inflater uses 16g cartridges (Has the 16 on the case, too). I have one just like it and only had a couple 12g cartridges in my under-seat bag. It took about 45sec to find the right sized rock on the road side to take up the necessary space at the bottom of the inflater so that the 12g cartridge would seat properly against the little thingy that pierces it on the top, threaded piece.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #18048
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,986
I'm in the process of writing up the training plan for the next little bit. Since I can't find a calendar for the mid-atlantic area races, I'm assuming that there's gonna be some kinda racing at the end of April.

Between UW Hockey and cycling, I'm hoping to be somewhat fit again here soon.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #18049
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,110
I'm amazed how having the right tools makes the job so much easier. The crank arm puller arrived with the Lock-ring spanner and BB wrench. The arms popped right off with no fan fair at all. Now they have marks on the backside for nothing.

The Lockring came off pretty easily. Never realized how loose a bike it put together. The BB came out and I didn't even lose any bearings this time!
Saved me from having to search the garage floor...

I did run into one issue. The bottom pull routing has a cable guide attached to the bottom of the BB. The guide is plastic with a screw that goes inside the BB. I removed the screw and pushed the plastic out so I could get the new BB in. THe BB fits fine with the guide pushed back in but the screw is too long so I'll probably just cut it so it's not screwing into the inner shield.

Getting the BB aligned was pretty simple since there are only 3 shims and it's obvious how they are arranged. It was very easy to install. I didn't bother getting the BB squared up. Since the gears aren't in the same locations as my originals, I had to redo the High and Low on the derailleurs.

Took it for a quick spin and they are nice. I have to get used to them not being BioPace though. They are very smooth and no creeks or thunks! I'll have to decide of I want to keep the 44T on there or put a bash guard on. For now I'll just leave it though.

Took another poser picture then went on a quick ride. I'm still waiting on the new cables so I can redo the rear brake. Those should come tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

These guy's where all over the trail at the end of my street so I turned back.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #18050
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,905
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #18051
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Just got down watching this, linked from the MTBR forums. Amazing!

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails

Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #18052
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Since the gears aren't in the same locations as my originals, I had to redo the High and Low on the derailleurs.

Ya needta get the derailleur down where it wants to be. 3mm off the outer chainring.

Shift better among other things.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #18053
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Ya needta get the derailleur down where it wants to be. 3mm off the outer chainring.

M
Good eye!

He is right, it will make a huge difference when the front derailuer is at the correct height.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #18054
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

These guy's where all over the trail at the end of my street so I turned back.

Good thinking, I know people who have been attacked by turkey while riding bikes.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #18055
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Good eye!

He is right, it will make a huge difference when the front derailuer is at the correct height.
I do this shit for a living.

Oh, speaking of which... One of the side bennies to managing a bicycle shop is leftovers. As in I just inherited an Allez A-1 frame/fork/hs/wheels that someone left at the shop forever and a day ago. Happens to be my size too! I'm thinking about making it into a Sachs New Success bike IF I can find the parts. Liked that stuff when I had it in the 90s. Since this bike seems to be about the same vintage (1" threaded HS, AL fork) it seems to fit.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #18056
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:

M
Where do I measure the 3mm from?

Jeffy screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 08:11 PM
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #18057
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Good thinking, I know people who have been attacked by turkey while riding bikes.
Yeah, they own the hills around here. I've seen a hen on some of the paved trail's too. The flock was pretty big. Only half if it was pictured. The other half was in the valley to the right.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #18058
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Where do I measure the 3mm from?
Tops of the teeth on the outer chainring to the bottom radius of the cage of the front derailleur.

You *may* need a new ft der. That old-skool XT don't have the right radius. Try it first. With the thumbies, you may be OK. Upgrade to rapidfire and you'll have issues with it.

M
Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #18059
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Tops of the teeth on the outer chainring to the bottom radius of the cage of the front derailleur.

You *may* need a new ft der. That old-skool XT don't have the right radius. Try it first. With the thumbies, you may be OK. Upgrade to rapidfire and you'll have issues with it.

M
I checked the instructions and it actually says how to do that! I would never have noticed though.

I think I'm going to keep the thumbies. If I go Rapid fires I'll probably end up going to 9-speed.

I got the XT derailleur when I got a replacement XT shifter from a guy on MTBR. It's a lot nicer then my old Exage LX.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #18060
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I got the XT derailleur when I got a replacement XT shifter from a guy on MTBR. It's a lot nicer then my old Exage LX.
Yeah it is!

Prolly sometime over the winter, I'm gonna try and make a 'poor man's 2x10' setup. I'll post up info when the stuff gets done.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: