Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #18061
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
7 inches of snow yesterday. Bike is hibernating. Just when I was starting to really dig riding it.

Oh well. I am taking a class on Saturday to set me up so I can volunteer for the local bicycle charity. They rebuild hundreds of bikes to get them in the hands of poor kids. They did over a thousand bikes this year and expect to hand out over 200 right before Christmas. It is the same place I bought both my wife's and my mt. bikes.

www.boisebicycleproject.org if you want to check it out. Pretty cool place.
You need to get a trainer of some sorts so you don't lose all that good work over the winter. I think rollers are best but there is a fairly steep learning curve (well, there was for me )

I prefer riding on the road (obviously) but I make riding on rollers a little more interesting by watching TV.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #18062
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
7 inches of snow yesterday. Bike is hibernating. Just when I was starting to really dig riding it.

Oh well. I am taking a class on Saturday to set me up so I can volunteer for the local bicycle charity. They rebuild hundreds of bikes to get them in the hands of poor kids. They did over a thousand bikes this year and expect to hand out over 200 right before Christmas. It is the same place I bought both my wife's and my mt. bikes.

www.boisebicycleproject.org if you want to check it out. Pretty cool place.
Dood. Its a mtn bike. It was MADE to go riding in the snow!

I've had more fun on snow rides...

M
Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #18063
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Go for it!

It's a nice stepping stone for when you sign up for this the following month:

http://www.transwisconsin.com/

... I'm planning on the Dirty Benjamin on June 11th, instead.

Quote:
162 miles is pretty daunting, but honestly- it doesn't scare the crap out of me nearly as much as the 50k noquemanon: http://www.noquemanon.com/

I still haven't convinced myself to sign up for that again just yet.
Yeah, "daunting" is a good word. I think that I am letting the novelty of the idea get the better of me. One more year of concerted riding would be the wise thing to do. Yeah yeah "oh the glory of it!"

And I need to work on climbing. I was a much better climber the year before. This past year? The training was not quite as rigorous.

Good luck with the Noquemanon. And no, I am not up to pulling the classic leg!

Errin, did you see the number of DNFs from last year's Dirty Kanza? I followed one riders blog. The heat was merciless!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #18064
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,823
Winter Training

Back in the day I did a fair bit of training in less than ideal conditions.

I spent time with rear wheel trainers, that used adjustable magnets and fans. These are good if you have the discipline to keep the resistance very low at first and the spin very high. Zero balance training. Very unlikely you can fall off these.

Save the knees.

Rollers
Tapered are the big daddy's, with low resistance bearings. Being an engineer and into pain. I went for the super cheap plain sealed bearings that did not roll so well, but the workout on those things left me barely able to get out of the basement. Buddies with fancy wooden tapered bling rollers would tell me about riding for a couple of hours in big gears.
I'd go back to the basement feeling like a complete whimp and re-double my training. Then came the day a friend was over and I pulled the El Cheap-O rollers out to the patio for him to try. He climbed on board his bike went for his usual gear, only to be nearly stopped by all that bearing drag.
He could not believe I could ride an hour on them.

small gears save the knees.

My preference is the rear wheel thing. I've fallen a number of times off rollers and that is no fun. Watching TV of course motorcycle races.

I gave mine away a long time ago.

Anyway one fun thing to do is go out in the yard in a couple feet of snow and plod around on the mtb. This builds balance and plenty of wind work. Every pedal stroke the front wants to twitch one way or the other if you ain't smooth.

Tomorrow if it isn't too wet here I'm riding for as long as I can. I need to go over to Performance and find some shoe covers. The ones I had at home of course don't fit these Southern California shoes...

Been running and walking fast on the treadmill this week. Taking this a little more seriously now, and sacrificing some crap I usually do in the name of fitness and a more healthy diet.

For any of the stationary trainers you'll need a fan blowing on you after a bit. Plenty of water too and a towel.

For an mtb, just stick a worn out slick-in-the-middle tire on the back. And ride. Probably pick one of those up for free from the LBS.

I hate, really hate all fancy big stupid forms of stationary bicycles in any gym on the planet. They all suck. They seats are made for tractors and sitting. Not riding. The things suck because the ergos can never be set up right. Pedals are too wide, seats to bars can't be adjusted. Just bad all around for working out.
I maintain that using the rear wheel trainer on your bike is far superior to the best of these wastes of space and money. There is no reason to park these in any gym anywhere ever. YMMV...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #18065
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
Yeah, "daunting" is a good word. I think that I am letting the novelty of the idea get the better of me. One more year of concerted riding would be the wise thing to do. Yeah yeah "oh the glory of it!"
I'm fairly certain I can pull it off in the allotted time period, the thing I worry about is whether or not I'll actually get to race it.

I pretty much live in primo gravel road territory. If I just want to ride 165 miles in the dirt, I can do that pretty much any given weekend. I like doing gravel road races as racing and working together with 100+ other idiots is a lot of fun.

If I get dropped hard and spend all day riding by myself, well it's hardly a wasted day but still....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #18066
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
for once in my life....

...I'd like to ride the Ragbrai - I know it's a cattle call but I've been reading about it since the 70's.

My name's in the lottery - wish me luck.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #18067
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
...If I get dropped hard and spend all day riding by myself, well it's hardly a wasted day but still....
I had that picture in my head, but I had not been able to articulate exactly what bugged me about it. That is it exactly. I'm going to do one more year of trying to race the centuries, and give the Royal 162 (as it is now being called) more serious consideration in 2012.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #18068
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Back in the day I did a fair bit of training in less than ideal conditions.
Speaking of which... my Gore Bike Wear order came in today. Mmmmm tasty. The Paclite jacket's cut WAY slim tho, so layering under it's gonna be fun. Bright ernge. Too bad the new Husky's R/W/G!

The GT insulated booties are prolly gonna be my 'go to' bootie over the winter. I thought I was getting the non-insulated ones, but hey! I'm not gonna complain.

Got some bib-knickers in that are lighter than I thought they were gonna be. I'll wear em springtime and under tights.

All-in-all they look like well-constructed stuff. Time and mileage will tell tho. Now all I gotta do is find enough other people out there that wants some and get em in on the group buy! Any of y'all know anyone like that?! Go to the Gore Bike Wear page and lemme know what y'all want and it'll be 30% off retail.

...or if you know someone that has a Gore Bike Wear catalog, look thru that and lemme know. Some recommendations from the rep: Phantom jacket and the Ozon WS jersey

M
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #18069
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
...I'd like to ride the Ragbrai - I know it's a cattle call but I've been reading about it since the 70's.

My name's in the lottery - wish me luck.
If you sign up with a team or charter, you are guaranteed a place. They also tend to be "nicer" (loose term) on luggage
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #18070
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
If you sign up with a team or charter, you are guaranteed a place. They also tend to be "nicer" (loose term) on luggage
Thanks for the advice - I looked at one and reviewed that particular one's costs with my wife.

Didn't even blink...."you need to start enjoying life."

Wow - guess I'll take the "easy" route.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #18071
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
Anyone have any experience with Planet X bikes. They are having some smoking deals online right now and I need new wheels and I'm itching for a new frame.

I'm looking at the Nanolight frame and the 50 clincher wheels.
Well other than the fact that they just bought Titus and produce On One I know little. On One has a good reputation and Titus used to.....

You should see crazy deals on Titus real soon...
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #18072
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,523
Trek 1.2 Good for a beginner?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #18073
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 884

Went on a good cross ride this AM. Chased the fast guys up and back down a local trail called "The Escalator". Never did catch 'em, but I had fun trying.

Some good scenery too:

We met up at the LBS afterward and I got my new 12-27 cassette installed. Woulda been nice to have it before the ride. Weather permitting, I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can't spin up the hills a little easier.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #18074
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
For an mtb, just stick a worn out slick-in-the-middle tire on the back. And ride.
Well, around here you're gonna' need something like this. I'm looking at a set of 240's. I bought some Craft ski wear for an outer layer. If it's effective against the wind, I'll be on the phone to Peter.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #18075
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,835
I've got a set of the Extreme 294's, and took my first ride after an ice storm a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe the traction I had on sheer ice uphill! Fookin' amazing. I got off the bike to take a pic, and promptly fell on my ass! I need golf shoes or something!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: