User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #18061
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,450
This is about a mile from my house and I ride by it a couple of time a week.

So sad and it pisses me off at the same time. Be carefull out there everyone.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/47127

Joc
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #18062
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Tops of the teeth on the outer chainring to the bottom radius of the cage of the front derailleur.

You *may* need a new ft der. That old-skool XT don't have the right radius. Try it first. With the thumbies, you may be OK. Upgrade to rapidfire and you'll have issues with it.

M
So the edge of the derailleur should be right above the largest ring when setting the height?

I'm also noticing binding when I shift to the extremes. In granny low, the chain hits the rear derailleur. So I guess there is too much slack on the chain? The old low ring was 28T. The new one is 22T. Also, I'm wondering if I should shim the BB over to the non-drive side. Seems to be over a bit more then it used to which is also causing binding.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #18063
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
So the edge of the derailleur should be right above the largest ring when setting the height?

I'm also noticing binding when I shift to the extremes. In granny low, the chain hits the rear derailleur. So I guess there is too much slack on the chain? The old low ring was 28T. The new one is 22T. Also, I'm wondering if I should shim the BB over to the non-drive side. Seems to be over a bit more then it used to which is also causing binding.
You'll hafta pull the cage out a hair to get lined up straight, as well as to set the height. AFA the binding, that's taken care of by the limit screws. I'd bet Park Tools' website has a good demo...

M
Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #18064
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You'll hafta pull the cage out a hair to get lined up straight, as well as to set the height. AFA the binding, that's taken care of by the limit screws. I'd bet Park Tools' website has a good demo...

M
I think I have it set up OK but it still clatters a bit. The problem I see is the derailleur gears are pitched inwards a bit because it's following the chain stay. The crank is a bit more outboard and so the bottom gear on the derailleur is getting caught on the links in the chain occasionally. Any way to correct this? Shim the crank in? Would this be corrected if I switched to a 9-speed derailleur?

I also lowered the front derailleur. It's probably more then 3mm but less then 6mm. I can't lower it any further since it hits the chain stay. Shifts nicer though.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #18065
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 394
Looking for maps

Hope i'm not disrupting the flow of the thread here but i'm not having any luck anywhere else. It looks like life has smiled on me and i may get to take a cross country bicycle ride next summer I'm looking for a set of AC Northern Tier maps http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636317 . I'm hoping for a used set (re: cheap) as i took a 25% pay cut to get the time to do this sort of thing. Will probably also be in the market for some used bike luggage as well at some point. (rear panniers, handlebar bag w/map pocket, etc).

The biggest ride i've done to date is Oklahoma Freewheel (450 miles) so this is a HUGE step for me.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #18066
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Is anyone else thinking about doing ragbrai next summer?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #18067
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
I think I have it set up OK but it still clatters a bit. The problem I see is the derailleur gears are pitched inwards a bit because it's following the chain stay. The crank is a bit more outboard and so the bottom gear on the derailleur is getting caught on the links in the chain occasionally. Any way to correct this? Shim the crank in? Would this be corrected if I switched to a 9-speed derailleur?

In your first pic you may have chainline (chainrings moved outboard) issues or the derailleur hanger may be twisted. More likely chainline.

In the second pic it appears that your chain is too long now that you have the compact crank. The chain should be one inch longer than the length necessary to wrap the big ring and large cog, not running through the rear derailleur.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #18068
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville
In your first pic you may have chainline (chainrings moved outboard) issues or the derailleur hanger may be twisted. More likely chainline.

In the second pic it appears that your chain is too long now that you have the compact crank. The chain should be one inch longer than the length necessary to wrap the big ring and large cog, not running through the rear derailleur.
I think it's a long derailleur. I did play around with the chain and I think there might be 3-4 links too long. Actually I just noticed, in the pic below the bike is in granny so there is a lot more slack with the new crank. I'll have take the derailleur off and double check.

If the crank is on correct, then how do they get the proper chain line?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #18069
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Melville's right on the chain thing- big ring + big cog + 1 link (or inch, same thing). To see if your crank is set right, measure the distance from the centerline of your seat tube to the centerline of the middle ring on the crank. Should be 45mm, if I remember correctly. Without being close to that number, you're not going to have good shifting through all gears.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #18070
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Melville's right on the chain thing- big ring + big cog + 1 link (or inch, same thing). To see if your crank is set right, measure the distance from the centerline of your seat tube to the centerline of the middle ring on the crank. Should be 45mm, if I remember correctly. Without being close to that number, you're not going to have good shifting through all gears.
Thanks! That gives me something to work with. I'll check it in the morning.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #18071
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
Is anyone else thinking about doing ragbrai next summer?
I want to. Need to figure out the work schedule. I should know after Thanksgiving.

I plan to buy a bike transport box/case. Costs about $450 or so, and $50 each way for the oversized baggage on the plane.

I might blow that part off and ride the Adventure. We'll see how I feel about that.

Last time I was training for this I fell off the mountain bike and broke two ribs. I'm not riding the mountain bike.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #18072
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
The other way to measure a chain is to run it thru the gears like in the first pic (granny/small cog) and size the chain so that it don't rub the cage when there's very little/no tension on the derailleur. Its easier shown than explained in text.

In short, yer chain's too long and it sounds like it could be no pulling the b-tension spring enough. Try shortening the chain and report back.

M
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #18073
Jeffy
Hmm...

Well, here's an update. The chain line was over 50mm. I shimmed it so it's within 47.5mm-50mm like what Sheldon says. (I think it's also within 3mm of the Derailleur now too) It runs smoother but the derailleur gear is still clattering. After looking at the derailleur, I think the cage is tweaked a little. I think this happened when it locked up as I was testing it. I'm pretty sure the hanger is OK. I can see the slight twist in the cage. I'll take it off and take some measurements.

I'll check the chain length while I'm at it. I'm sure that's what causes the cage to get tweaked in the first place.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #18074
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

A-1 Allez wreching report:

Re-nippled the rear wheel that was on the bike. Hub's a SpeedCific laced into an Aerohead OC (off-center) rim with 32 Wheelsmith bladed spokes. There were a few nipples starting to go south, so rather than worry about em one at a time, I redid the whole thing. Let me go thru and retension the wheel too. Can you say 'twistie spokes?' I know I can. Hafta twist past where you want the spoke to be and go back to keep the blades straight. Fun.

Got a front hub (Specialized/Sansin?) from the shop and laced it into a leftover Ambrosio Excellight rim with double butted spokes. I'd been doing something wrong lacing the wheel and it kept coming out 1 spoke hole off. ie: there was a cross where the valve's s'posed to be. Still not sure why it was being aggravating, but its laced and is at 3 threads showing on the spoke. Finish it tamale.

Need some non-radiused STI cable holders. This frame has bosses on the downtube. I *think* I may have some at home. Didn't think to bring em 'cause well... I figgered the shop had cable stops. We don't.

Got my D/A crank/BB and front derailleur on. D/A seatpost and a leftover seat are going on tamale too.

Now all I need is to rape my little brother's D/A rear derailleur off the bike he ain't ridden in years till I can find something to replace it. Bossman's letting me borrow some D/A 10s shifters. I'm skeered that they have a special brake pull. Don't wanna buy D/A brakes! If they do, I have a 9sp left shifter if I can find a D/A right shifter.

Found some 3/4 used Michelin Pro 3s in... yaller and black! They'll do till I can put in an order for some tires.

Oh, and the biggest holdup? I don't have a quill stem of the appropriate length! Anyone have an ITM Eclypse in 120mm they wanna sell off?

Gotta run

M
Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #18075
Jeffy
Hmm...

Measured the chain and it's probably 1-2links too long. I also pulled the rear derailleur off and took it apart. I was able to get the twist out of it so it runs true now. I still have to tweak the cable a bit as I'm not getting clear shifts with the indexes anymore. Still, that's pretty minor. If I don't cross the streams, the chain doesn't creek and clatter but then you're not supposed to do that anyway. I think I'll leave the chain for now as it would be yet another tool I'd need for a one time project.

I was also able to get the rear brake cable back in. Nice having rear brakes again. I haven't cut the cable yet so it's coiled up on the back right now. Don't want to short change myself again and have to buy another.

Next on the list is probably wheels. Any recommendations? Other sets I should look at?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: