Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #18106
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
14 miles today - a nice, simple 14 mile loop w/ a 6 mile off-road portion.

My house is indicated by the green arrow. Beautiful day in the desert was a bonus.

The frame bag and other items from Revelate Designs (Eric Parsons)arrived today....pictures to follow in a day or two.
South Mountain?

I have a buddy who lives right off Chandler Blvd and I try to get out there every year or two for a long riding weekend. Fun riding out there.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #18107
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,442
Mid 40's in temp this morning.. out for a 45 minute ride on the powerlines..

Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #18108
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,027
Ian's 77 Trek after the last round of minor upgrades.

the rear derailleur I scored was a 105, not an ultegra. ah well, it shifts great (but so did the Deore that was on there). tore apart the chain pulleys, cleaned, repacked, reassembled and installed, and its working great. his chain probably should be 1 link longer :-/

am I hack for not messing with the sram chain 'master link' and just using my chain punch on it?

pierce screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 07:48 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #18109
pierce
Aven'Tourer

oh, hahaha. the *other* trek we scored, the $100 '85 Trek 420. what a clunker/tank compared with this TX300. its like twice as heavy, the back end feels like its full of lead.

its too ugly to photograph. shimano 'Z' (cheaper than deore) gearing. diacompe sidepull brakes. atom hubs, wienmann 27" alloy rims, non-stainless spokes, 27x1-1/4" specialized allconditions. sugino triple crank. mallard 6-speed rear freewheel. SR stem and seatpost, noname bars. an old brooks PVC-over-foam saddle (cracked). decent MKS campy-copy pedals.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #18110
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Question for Pierce

Why not teach Ian how to work on bikes as well? That way, he could provide a service (true wheels, adjust shifting, seat height...) as well as retail bikes.

I do see one problem with reselling bikes. Something breaks, they bring it back to him and say WTF? Then he gets a bad rep for being a junk bike seller. It only takes one instance. Service (and doing it right) is a better idea. College kids have time, but no money. Trueing wheels is all about time. Just post a fixed price for services ($15 for wheel trueing, $10 to adjust shifters...)

Just my free advice, worth what you paid for it
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #18111
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove
Why not teach Ian how to work on bikes as well? That way, he could provide a service (true wheels, adjust shifting, seat height...) as well as retail bikes.

I do see one problem with reselling bikes. Something breaks, they bring it back to him and say WTF? Then he gets a bad rep for being a junk bike seller. It only takes one instance. Service (and doing it right) is a better idea. College kids have time, but no money. Trueing wheels is all about time. Just post a fixed price for services ($15 for wheel trueing, $10 to adjust shifters...)

Just my free advice, worth what you paid for it
yeah, he did a lot of the clean and stuff, i showed him how to use a chain punch. he's on vacation this week here and been pretty scarce, if I'd waited for him to be around, would have been too dark out to work on it (I don't have a lighted workshop). the rear wheel on the old trek needs some truing, I started but 2/3rds of the spoke nipples are frozen up.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #18112
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,875
A beautiful 65F day last weekend

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #18113
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles
South Mountain?

I have a buddy who lives right off Chandler Blvd and I try to get out there every year or two for a long riding weekend. Fun riding out there.
Correct - most of the guys that ride in SoMo are much more hard-core than me and the Fargo...no suspension and I don't bounce like I used to.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #18114
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Ian's 77 Trek after the last round of minor upgrades.

the rear derailleur I scored was a 105, not an ultegra. ah well, it shifts great (but so did the Deore that was on there). tore apart the chain pulleys, cleaned, repacked, reassembled and installed, and its working great. his chain probably should be 1 link longer :-/

am I hack for not messing with the sram chain 'master link' and just using my chain punch on it?

Looks familiar....

And later...

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #18115
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac

Is that metalflake? I bought a Trek 830 mountain bike in 1985 (?) that was that shade of grey fading to black at the headset and wheels heavy on the metal flake.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #18116
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
@ Pierce: yeah yer being a hack. The whole point of the master link chains is that you don't need a chain tool to take em off an put em back on.
T-day ride this AM. Was sposed to go out to Thoroughfare Gap and then come back thru Airlie. Slept too late for that, so I decided to go lookin for Shenandoah Path Rd. ...an realized I didn't have time for that either! So I ended up on a shorter loop. Still a good 1:45 with a trio of intervals tossed in cause I was runnin late for levin for dinner. Turns out I didn't hafta worry bout it cause dinner's not on the table yet.
Any of yall wanna get in on a Gore Tex group buy? I'm tryin to get the shop to become a dealer... PM me for details if yer innerested

M
Old 11-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #18117
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
@ Pierce: yeah yer being a hack. The whole point of the master link chains is that you don't need a chain tool to take em off an put em back on.

well, I read you're supposed to replace the clip each time you take it off, and I didn't have a spare clip handy.

reminds me, I've got a scrap of a chain left on my worktable, I need to see if its the same SRAM as the chain on the kid's bike, and use a couple links to lengthen his chain.

hey, that silver trek, what model is that? you can look up the serial # stamped on the BB on www.vintage-trek.com to find out model and year. Ian's is a 1977 TX300, 2nd year they were in business. Is that a 27" frame with 700c wheels, and if so, how did you get the brakes to reach the rims?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #18118
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
IIRC its only the 10sp stuff. that ya needta have a new master link for. Someone double-check me K?

M
Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #18119
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
IIRC its only the 10sp stuff. that ya needta have a new master link for. Someone double-check me K?
I dunno about the 10 speed stuff, but I've reused 9-speed power links plenty of times with no ill effect.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #18120
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:

M
X2, it is only the 10sp SRAM that you can NOT reuse the links. 10 speed KMC chains are fine, they're links are reusable. if you look, you will see a lot of KMC 10 Speed chains on the Specialized bikes for 2011, with sram and shimano drivetrains.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: