Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #18151
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
Starting Point

More Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Thanks, Steve. You're one of my favorite guys of all time, you know that.

Sooo, the more I think about this, the more I think that, in fairly short order, I'm gonna wanna go ride the forest service roads that I used to ride on the 950/990. I don't really expect to have any real desire to do singletrack stuff - no more than I wanted to on the mc, and I really don't wanna deal with any more traffic than is absolutely necessary. Given that - graded, clear dirt/gravel roads, am I right to think a 29" hardtail MTB would be a good choice?

If so, the biggest frames I'm seein' are 23". Is that gonna work for me (6'4" w/ 33" inseam)?
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #18152
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Ahhh, thank you, sir.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #18153
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Sooo, the more I think about this, the more I think that, in fairly short order, I'm gonna wanna go ride the forest service roads that I used to ride on the 950/990. I don't really expect to have any real desire to do singletrack stuff - no more than I wanted to on the mc, and I really don't wanna deal with any more traffic than is absolutely necessary. Given that - graded, clear, dirt/gravel roads, am I right to think a 29" hardtail MTB would be a good choice?
I have, both, a full-suspension 29er and a cyclocross bike. If I were riding what you describe, and I do all the time, I'd go with a 'cross bike with 40-42mm tires or something like a Salsa Fargo/Vaya. But, one of your desires was a flat bar. What I listed earlier are still good options. Don't be swayed by the description "city bike", as they are built pretty rugged. BMC has a couple options, too.

I never look at my MTB, unless it's going to be singletrack. My 'cross bike is a much better dirt road bike. But, if you decide to go with an MTB, make sure to get something with an air adjustable fork and preferrably one with compression and rebound adjustments and lockout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
If so, the biggest frames I'm seein' are 23". Is that gonna work for me (6'4" w/ 33" inseam)?
Yep, that'll be plenty of frame.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #18154
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:

Sooo, the more I think about this, the more I think that, in fairly short order, I'm gonna wanna go ride the forest service roads that I used to ride on the 950/990. I don't really expect to have any real desire to do singletrack stuff - no more than I wanted to on the mc, and I really don't wanna deal with any more traffic than is absolutely necessary. Given that - graded, clear, dirt/gravel roads, am I right to think a 29" hardtail MTB would be a good choice?

Yes - you're on the right track IMHO.

Everyone likes the bike that "they" purchased and of course, I'm no exception. Given that, take a look at the Fargo Salsa - several of us here have one and it's a good piece of kit esp for your needs. In addition, they are available is sizes to fit us big/tall&ugly guys.

Link to their website

Here's mine - close to its 'bikepacking' form:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #18155
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
pics or it didn't happen

M
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1406643...7625570274214/

I am in dsc_0250, dcs_0249, dsc_0248 & dsc_0247 and dsc_0168 through dsc_0177

and I know no snow mud sleet slush but that grass was like pedaling with velcro wheels. Got to ride through a horse barn as well. Lots of deep sugar sand. The race took place at a ranch that has steeplechase races , the horse kind.

zippy screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 02:24 PM
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #18156
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
Quote:

Great suggestions on the Fargo and the other one. If you don't need suspension, don't lug it around.

Plenty of bikes out there to fit you. Enjoy the ride mi amigo.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #18157
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

and I know no snow mud sleet slush but that grass was like pedaling with velcro wheels. Got to ride through a horse barn as well. Lots of deep sugar sand. The race took place at a ranch that has steeplechase races , the horse kind.
So there was a chance of running through er.....future Top soil. would that count as mud like subtance. we'll have to go the judges on that one!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #18158
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

M
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #18159
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Down to 183.5

M
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #18160
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Where the Fargo shines....

Yesterday, I invited one of the guys from the office down to K7's neighborhood for a typical South Mountain ride. Actually, this is an easy South Mt ride - there are more technical portions that I haven't attempted yet. Those are better suited bikes with front suspension/hard tail or full suspension.

However, the Desert Classic trail and a little climbing, a lot of swoops and a bit of rocks to avoid.

The issue for many is the area is that they rely on shuttles to take them the top of the trail and/or pick them up at the bottom.

I don't really care for that - you're on a bicycle for crying out loud - ride it. I know that many worry about traffic but for the most part, there are small bicycle lanes and drivers here, while they cut it close, are used to bicyclists.

My buddy came by at 0900 and we loaded the bikes. I knew it was going to be a more difficult ride for him and in a compromise, knowing that the trailhead is a two-mile climb from my house, agreed to drive with him up there. I also knew he'd bitch about what was to come.

Here's the first 45% of the ride. I didn't bring the GPS so I don't have the full ride itself. The only difference is that where the arrow is in the upper right, we turned back to the south and made our way back to the trail head on the streets. That involves one smaller, short climb and then the slightly longer one back to the parking lot.

He did very well on the trail - he's on a front-suspension Motobecane 26" mountain bike that his buddy Bob W gave him. Yes - this Bob W - the ex-baseball pitcher. My buddy knows a lot of guys in baseball and is a huge Red Sox fan. His knowledge of baseball is encyclopedic.

When we started home, we had gone maybe three miles and he was hanging within shouting distance. At one point, I held up at a stop light and we started off again.

"How far Gerry?"

I held of three fingers to signify three miles but I knew it was closer to 5....and that one of the five was the uphill portion. That must have taken the wind out of his sails. By the time I got to the next right handturn at a light, he wasn't in sight behind me. Took him two minutes to catch up.

This guy is in pretty good shape for a 55 year-old - no fat, works out regularly and lots more like he's 35. He can outhike most people 25 years younger. He's very, very competitive also. The difference today was the bicycles. His 26" mountain bike has no chance against the 29" Fargo making it, in my mind, a great choice for not-too-technical dirt and street. It's like the KTM 950/990 of bicycles.

I like my Fargo and am looking forward to riding it on the 2011 version of Ragbrai. I'll go with a smaller set of tires and make some other changes but nothing significant.

For the experts here: I'm considering the Panaracer T-Serves 700x35 tires for the summer trip. Not too heavy, good rep (supposedly) as a messenger/urban tire, etc. If there are alternatives, I'm all ears. I'll be carrying light stuff - rain gear, camera, etc so the load won't be much more than me... at 205 to 210 lbs. The Fargo's bottom bracket is fairly low already so I'll have to keep that in mind.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #18161
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Down to 183.5

M
*sigh..... someday.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #18162
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
*sigh..... someday.
That reminds me...

M
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #18163
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
That reminds me...

M
No rush. Might be a while until $$ is available. Used parts is fine as well.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #18164
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yesterday, I invited one of the guys from the office down to K7's neighborhood for a typical South Mountain ride. Actually, this is an easy South Mt ride - there are more technical portions that I haven't attempted yet. Those are better suited bikes with front suspension/hard tail or full suspension.

However, the Desert Classic trail and a little climbing, a lot of swoops and a bit of rocks to avoid.

The issue for many is the area is that they rely on shuttles to take them the top of the trail and/or pick them up at the bottom.

I don't really care for that - you're on a bicycle for crying out loud - ride it. I know that many worry about traffic but for the most part, there are small bicycle lanes and drivers here, while they cut it close, are used to bicyclists.

My buddy came by at 0900 and we loaded the bikes. I knew it was going to be a more difficult ride for him and in a compromise, knowing that the trailhead is a two-mile climb from my house, agreed to drive with him up there. I also knew he'd bitch about what was to come.

Here's the first 45% of the ride. I didn't bring the GPS so I don't have the full ride itself. The only difference is that where the arrow is in the upper right, we turned back to the south and made our way back to the trail head on the streets. That involves one smaller, short climb and then the slightly longer one back to the parking lot.

He did very well on the trail - he's on a front-suspension Motobecane 26" mountain bike that his buddy Bob W gave him. Yes - this Bob W - the ex-baseball pitcher. My buddy knows a lot of guys in baseball and is a huge Red Sox fan. His knowledge of baseball is encyclopedic.

When we started home, we had gone maybe three miles and he was hanging within shouting distance. At one point, I held up at a stop light and we started off again.

"How far Gerry?"

I held of three fingers to signify three miles but I knew it was closer to 5....and that one of the five was the uphill portion. That must have taken the wind out of his sails. By the time I got to the next right handturn at a light, he wasn't in sight behind me. Took him two minutes to catch up.

This guy is in pretty good shape for a 55 year-old - no fat, works out regularly and lots more like he's 35. He can outhike most people 25 years younger. He's very, very competitive also. The difference today was the bicycles. His 26" mountain bike has no chance against the 29" Fargo making it, in my mind, a great choice for not-too-technical dirt and street. It's like the KTM 950/990 of bicycles.

I like my Fargo and am looking forward to riding it on the 2011 version of Ragbrai. I'll go with a smaller set of tires and make some other changes but nothing significant.

For the experts here: I'm considering the Panaracer T-Serves 700x35 tires for the summer trip. Not too heavy, good rep (supposedly) as a messenger/urban tire, etc. If there are alternatives, I'm all ears. I'll be carrying light stuff - rain gear, camera, etc so the load won't be much more than me... at 205 to 210 lbs. The Fargo's bottom bracket is fairly low already so I'll have to keep that in mind.
How many total feet of climbing over what distance did you guys complete as far as you can figure. I can see by the map there is some good climbing if that was only the first 45% of the ride.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #18165
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Did anyone see the live video footage of the National Cross Race today out of Oregon. Todd Wells got it. It was pretty good footage with alot of people there at the event.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: