User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #18151
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I try to support my local LBS where possible. I do all my own work (same goes for MC and car), but will try to buy my stuff from them as long as their prices are within a reasonable range of what I can order them for.

If I were to buy a new rather than used bike. I would stay with a LBS that I am familiar with and pay the premium. That would hopefully pay off if there was a warranty issue. And having the initial setup done would be a nice perk.

I do order all my clothing since no LBS carries big and tall stuff around here.

It goes beyond saving a few bucks. I need to support them because there are times that I need to pick their brains. And since I am new, that has been rather frequently lately. Having a LBS that I am familiar with, that knows I spend money there (even if I bought my bike used), they are willing to help me out with info.

I wish my KTM dealer was the same. I buy all my KTM parts online now because the local shop is such a pain to deal with. He has almost nothing in stock, everything must be ordered. He only places his orders on Thursday. So if I break something on a Saturday ride, call him on Tuesday (he is closed Mondays), place the order, order goes in on Thursday, and I dont get the part until the following week. Lost a weekend of riding.

With the internet, I break it on Saturday, place order Saturday night when I get home, part is on my door by Wednesday, bike is back in order by next weekend. And at a substantial financial savings to me. The shop owner lives 6 houses down from me and he and I have had words over this before. I keep hitting him with the facts that he has nothing in stock that I need, and too long of a wait for him to order it. I dont bring the price into the conversation because for most stuff I would pay his price if he had it in stock. He just does not get it. Or he does, but is barely hanging on and does not have the resources to stock many parts, I dont know which one is correct. I really wonder how he stays in business.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #18152
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
I've been working out my bikepacking setup on the Salsa Fargo. Thought I'd share a pic of it.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #18153
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Sweetness! Looks like you got a nice light setup there.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
I've been working out my bikepacking setup on the Salsa Fargo. Thought I'd share a pic of it.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #18154
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
How large is that gastank ci wise. Whose stuff is it, and what is the website.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 11-30-2010 at 10:49 AM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #18155
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,552
Would a trailer would be a better bet? I haven't done any bikepacking, so don't know...

M
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #18156
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
How large is that gastank ci wise. Whose stuff is it, and what is the website.
Not sure, but the gear is from Revelate Designs. Eric makes some great gear.

@Gummee- Trailer would be an option, but that's more weight. This is pretty light. I've got a sleeping bag, pad, ground cover, tarp, stakes and 150oz of water on there. Backpack has some clothes, penny can stove, fuel and food.

I've been sharing the setup on my blog here.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #18157
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

I know the question was kind of answered already, but I'll throw in my $.02:

A trailer seems useful for some non-technical off-road touring. In fact, there are quite a few people that rode the Great Divide Route (Mexico to Canada) that swear by trailers pulled by full suspension bikes. They keep the weight low and off the bike (less threat of damaged spokes and flats). I have also seen a promo video for some one-wheeled trailer system that features riders navigating some pretty difficult terrain at high rates of speed. Even the lightest trailers, however, will still weigh quite a bit when compared with nylon bikepacking "bags."

Bikepacking seems more the equivalent of ultralight backpacking and is sometimes focused on riding to more remote location (through technical terrain) where a trailer just wouldn't cut it. I guess the amount of creature comfort you carry really determines how similar your bikepacking setup will feel compared to your regular mountain bike without luggage. A lot of these endurance racer people could be considered bikepackers because they are carrying minimal equipment, all contained on their backs and their bike frames.

So, depending on what type of touring/riding you're interested in, both paradigms could work for you. Cost is probably a wash once you consider the cost of a trailer vs. specialty bikepacking bags plus lightweight gear.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Would a trailer would be a better bet? I haven't done any bikepacking, so don't know...

M
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #18158
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Checked out your blog. Very cool about your Jardine tarp. He was VERY influential in my backpacking education. I got his PCT book back in high school, and then got Beyond Backpacking years later. I, too, used some of his diagrams in his books to make stuff sacks, a tarp, etc (even before him and his wife started making the DIY kits).

I employed a lot of his philosophy in my 2005 AT thru-hike too. However, it wasn't until recently that I ditched my hiking poles and began to appreciate using an umbrella for rainy hiking. Very nice! I actually just got back from a 3 day hike where using an ultralight umbrella served me well.

Anyway......

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Not sure, but the gear is from Revelate Designs. Eric makes some great gear.

@Gummee- Trailer would be an option, but that's more weight. This is pretty light. I've got a sleeping bag, pad, ground cover, tarp, stakes and 150oz of water on there. Backpack has some clothes, penny can stove, fuel and food.

I've been sharing the setup on my blog here.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #18159
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Sweet!

Kinda hoping a couple of those older Fargo frames might start showing up on eBay with the newer frames out now. No dice yet...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #18160
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,452
Go Far

Quote:
Dayum - that Fargo looks....small.

As a big/tall/ugly/duffus, I had to go with the XL version:

I'll look at your blog when I get home - very interested in your experiences.

From last week:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #18161
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,513
I remember reading once there were about four times as many bicycles in the US as there are cars. Sadly most of those bikes go un-ridden in garages all over America.
Similar to the story of motorcycles. I'd read that the average life span of a sport bike was about 5,000 miles before it was tossed into the weeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
... It kinda sucks but there are always more newbies out there to keep buying bikes from you.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #18162
ErrinV
D Boon!

Yep, mine is a small. I have ordered a new frame though and I'm moving up to a Medium. I want a larger frame bag as the small is just too small. Just looking at the pictures of your frame bag and mine you can see a huge difference.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #18163
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Do you notice the frame bags when they are on? I've been looking at some sort of luggage all summer, as i actually do some traveling on the bicycle and hate backpacks.
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #18164
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Hey k7...

[QUOTE=k7;14583153].Stopped for lunch:

[QUOTE=k7;14583153]

Which handlebar bag set up are you using from Revelate designs? I am interested in a bag that will fit drop bars, and your set up looks solid.

Thanks-
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #18165
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,552
So I woke up to howling winds and torrential rains here in the DC area. That was 0500 or so. Yup. Weatherpeople were right. So I posted here, looked for info on my 'soon to be mine' Husky TE-250 (any of y'all know if an 05 cylinder/piston fits an 07?) and watched it rain.

I looked on the weather thingy and saw that the line of rain was about to pass over. Hmmm I wonder if I wait till 1100 or so whether it'll stop?

I was hemming and hawing. Enough so that I stuck the trainer/rain bike on the trainer.

Then I looked out westwards and noticed some patches of bluer clouds

Awww screwit! I'ma gonna go riding outside even iffen it makes me wet! So I duded up in my 'rain' jacket, etc.

Wouldn't ya know it! Blue skies.

With them blue skies came headwinds tho. I fought a headwind all the way from my house to where I turned left and headed into The Plains, VA. I STILL sorta kinda had a headwind till I turned left again on Rt 55 and headed back towards the house.

At this point, my legs are tired. As in 'I'm not sure if I can make it up any more hills' tired. I had 3 choices: straight back on 55 the way I came which is mostly flat, 2. back towards Warrenton and turn left at Airlie convention ctr and C. turn on Beverly Mill and deal with a 6-pack of hills before reaching Vint Hill Farms Station and relatively flat riding.

That 6-pack of hills like to kill me! Only thing helping was the tailwind.

The last hill I hadta climb was a few miles from home. Its MAYBE 100m long. It like to kill me too. (oh, if yer wondering that's southern for 'DAMN! that sucked)

So here I am, having just finished a bowl of raisin bran crunch typing away, recovering. Tomorrow's ride is gonna be EASY!!

Best part of the day? I was the only one out on a bicycle (that I saw). YAY for being tenacious (or stoopit!) enough to go out anyway. 'Course, now I gotta go clean up the bike. Oh well. That'll give me something to do tomorrow at the shop.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: