Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #18286
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ikea gave out 12,000 "mountain" bikes as a christmas gift to every employee. So I am sure a lot of them will be on the market. If you ride I am guessing it is a piece of crap, and if you don't ride you might not want it.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #18287
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Anybody ever have a Gary Fisher Sugar?

As one can never have enough bicycles, I picked up a 2002 GF Sugar 2 on fleabay for $300 shipped. After going through everything and servicing the Mars fork and rear suspension, I converted it to a 1x9 with a 34t SS chainring, bashguard, and jump stop. ( I believe front derailleurs are evil!) It came with a full XT Group, XTR rear derailleur, and Bontrager race cranks. While it shows some signs of use, it's in decent shape for it's age and surprised me as to how light it is. I'm curious as to how i'm going to like it when i take it out on it's maiden voyage as I've been dedicated to 29er Singlespeeding for some time now.
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #18288
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,893
I have a Sugar and love it. It's like cheating compared to a hardtail. My spine no longer hurts after a long day in the saddle.

Any recommendations on studded tires? Snow is here in the NE, along with the frozen ground...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #18289
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Any recommendations on studded tires? Snow is here in the NE, along with the frozen ground...
Check this:

http://bikehugger.com/2008/12/diy-st...r-icebike.html
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #18290
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
I've got a set of Nokian 294 Extremes. Check out Peter White's site
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp Amazing traction on sheer ice. I can't wait to get out there on the reservoir Sunday, especially if we get whacked with some snow!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #18291
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
So much for riding. Customer I helped with a pulley from a trashed derailleur brought beer. My associate mechanic/bike builder guy came down to help drink it.

Now its 8min from closing and I don't feel like riding no more.

M
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #18292
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
*I* suck? Or is it Ducnuts sucking?

If me, why? I'm the one freezin my ass off in upper 20s temps! Out testing winter gear for y'all! (them Specialized tights with the windproof front are nifty)
Geez, all I did was go for a ride.

I'm home for a few days and am still planning the next couple day's rides. I was wearing shorts and a long-sleeved T-shirt in Florida, yesterday. It's 32 degrees here, so no MTB. Too muddy after the snow melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I've determined that my old-as-dirt Sidi booties that aren't completely wind/waterproof are actually warmer than the new Gore booties. Prolly cause there's less room in em. The shoes I have fill up the entire Sidi bootie where there's a bit of room in the front of the Gore booties. I've decided that unless its actually precipitating, I'm wearing the old stuff till it wears out.
I was wearing my S-Works road shoes with PI booties. My feet froze. I started wearing my MTB shoes and Craft booties and my feet are toasty. I've figured out that what is worn inside is just as important. My road shoes have a completely vented top and bottom. Even with the fully enclosed PI booties, my feet froze where the venting is. My Craft booties are open bottom. So, the shoes are really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
Hey, when y'all pass the old guy huffing and puffing along on the fresh-out-of-the crate Specialized Secteur, give him a wave. It's me. Stretch-pants and all.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
I'm pretty excited. It's more than I wanted to spend, but what the hell.
A year down the road, you'll still be thankful for spending the extra money. Some things, in life, are worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga
I run the Nokian 240 on my 'cross bike. So far, I really like 'em, on the road/bike path. For offroad, the local guy runs the 294 Extremes. He swears by them. I haven't ridden MTB in the winter, yet. I'm going to wait and see how much offroad riding I really do, before spending more money on tires.

As for Peter White, you can get Nokians much cheaper off eBay. These guys will price match anyone, too. They had some studded Contis(?) in stock, when I was last in there.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #18293
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Geez, all I did was go for a ride.
Uh huh. Bastage! I'm headed out here in a bit for about 2hrs. Sposed to be darn near 40 here today. We'll hafta see about that!

Quote:
I was wearing my S-Works road shoes with PI booties. My feet froze. I started wearing my MTB shoes and Craft booties and my feet are toasty. I've figured out that what is worn inside is just as important. My road shoes have a completely vented top and bottom. Even with the fully enclosed PI booties, my feet froze where the venting is. My Craft booties are open bottom. So, the shoes are really important.
I think part of the issue are the carbon soles. They're thin. Let cold in eventually. Least that's my theory ...and I'm stickin to it!

Quote:
Congratulations! A year down the road, you'll still be thankful for spending the extra money. Some things, in life, are worth it.
+1 Getting something half-assed and then regretting now spending that extra little bit to get something nice always sucks.

M
Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #18294
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
I bought a pair of these a couple years ago:
http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/pr...RGO_GRIP_SHOES

If you do a lot of cold/wet/snow riding they're worth it, and the price is better than some of the other shoes of this type on the market.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #18295
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
I bought a pair of these a couple years ago:
http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/pr...RGO_GRIP_SHOES

If you do a lot of cold/wet/snow riding they're worth it, and the price is better than some of the other shoes of this type on the market.
I've been meaning to buy some Sidi road shoes similar to that for eons now. ...while I have a load of tights, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on some seriously spendy shoes I'm only gonna ride Dec thru Feb.

M
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #18296
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,590
Guys, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this. Those leg warmers make me feel like a goddam ballerina.

"I feel pretty,
So, so prtetty.
I feel pretty,
and witty,
and gay."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #18297
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Guys, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this. Those leg warmers make me feel like a goddam ballerina.

"I feel pretty,
So, so prtetty.
I feel pretty,
and witty,
and gay."
That goes away in time. Just wait till ya start shaving yer legs!

M
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #18298
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:

"I feel pretty,
So, so prtetty.
I feel pretty,
and witty,
and gay."
Just think of all those car drivers you're going to piss off....that should make it easier.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #18299
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:

"I feel pretty,
So, so prtetty.
I feel pretty,
and witty,
and gay."
You live in Florida......anything goes.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #18300
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
I've been meaning to buy some Sidi road shoes similar to that for eons now. ...while I have a load of tights, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on some seriously spendy shoes I'm only gonna ride Dec thru Feb.

M
That's one of the reasons I went with these particular shoes, they were a lot cheaper than the Sidis. One drawback is they're only compatible with mountain bike type cleats, but you could buy a cheap set of spd pedals to use with the shoes on a road bike, and if you're only using them a few months out of the year, they should last a long time. A couple of the advantages they have are more room so you can wear heavier socks, and they're easier to put on and take off compared to neoprene booties.

I actually haven't used mine much last and this year. We've been getting so much snow, I just go x-country skiing instead...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: