ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #18316
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!
 
ThumperDRZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Stinkin' County, MO
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its 27deg out and I'm having a crisis of motivation to go out riding.



I know I've ridden in colder, but is winning out over HTFU and go do it.

Luckily, I have a trainer and ain't afeared to use it!

M
I would like to ask you what is a good trainer to get. I don't want the kind you have to balance on if I was reading that right a few pages ago. I have to wait for my shoulder to heal for about 3 or 4 months before I get back on the MTB and want something to keep the legs in shape. I figure if I get a trainer that would be a great start.....and of course a wider seat.....
__________________
"If you're going through hell.......Keep going!"

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #18317
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
I would like to ask you what is a good trainer to get. I don't want the kind you have to balance on if I was reading that right a few pages ago. I have to wait for my shoulder to heal for about 3 or 4 months before I get back on the MTB and want something to keep the legs in shape. I figure if I get a trainer that would be a great start.....and of course a wider seat.....
Pretty much any of the fluid trainers are a great bet. I've had Cyclops and have ridden the Kurt Kinetic. Quiet. Smooth. 1 moving part... Right now, I personally own a Cateye Psychostimulator (aka Cyclosimulator) that's ancient. Loud. BUT... it'll kick my ass. www.bikeradar.com has some workouts posted up if you wanna go take a looksee.

Wider seats aren't necessarily better. Depends on yer sit bones. I have a Regal on 2 bikes and a Flite on the third. The Flite's going buh-bye as soon as I get up the $$ for a QBP order. Course, the Turbomatic 4 looks good too. I liked my Turbomatic 2...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #18318
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Ahhh, screw the trainer. That thing lives in the basement for a reason. I gotta' get out and ride......which I did, tonight. I managed 35.5 miles and suffered the whole way. I started at 29 degrees and that dropped to 26, by the time I got home. Headwind on the way out and a nice push back in, but, Nokian 240's don't roll all that well. So, I'm absolutely hammered. Not to mention, my ass is chafed from using a base layer under my bibs.

Pretty stiff wind.


Burrrr!


Where I've been.


Where I'm headed.


There were a bunch of these tracks for about 8 miles. I'm guessing coyotes or wild dogs, as there were no human tracks anywhere out there. I've encountered a variety wildlife using the trail as a way to elsewhere.


More burrr!


Quiet, bubbling brook. And to think, people try to recreate stuff like this in their home, so that they don't have to do anything active to hear the real deal.


Rolling shot. That's my outbound track, to the left.


I think it was "Mr Head" who started the obligatory mugshot. I've still got ~20 miles to go, at this point. Riding in the dark is pretty enjoyable.


My new Craft outer wear is working really well. I definitely prefer it over the Pearl Izumi stuff I have.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)

ducnut screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 01:26 PM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #18319
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Ahhh, screw the trainer. That thing lives in the basement for a reason. I gotta' get out and ride......which I did, tonight. I managed 35.5 miles and suffered the whole way. I started at 29 degrees and that dropped to 26, by the time I got home. Headwind on the way out and a nice push back in, but, Nokian 240's don't roll all that well. So, I'm absolutely hammered. Not to mention, my ass is chafed from using a base layer under my bibs.
I feel so inadequate - on my ride today, I wore a long-sleeve jersey and since it was 70, I wore a t-shirt over that for another layer. It was beautiful.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #18320
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Screw both y'all! but for different reasons. There was a few hrs this pm that were ok to ride, but it was right around rush hr an I was skeered
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #18321
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Ahhh, screw the trainer. That thing lives in the basement for a reason. I gotta' get out and ride......

Geez! Little Girl Scream!

You're freezing me!

phone says it's 39 here, but there is a draft in my hotel room and it SMELLS cold here.
Two more days and I'm on a plane to the sun.

I don't care if it rains there on me I'm riding the Roubaix!
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #18322
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I feel so inadequate - on my ride today, I wore a long-sleeve jersey and since it was 70, I wore a t-shirt over that for another layer. It was beautiful.
I'm pretty sure you know you suck.

It is cold in the stairway!

Doesn't help my back is spasming either.
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #18323
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Ya know... I don't think I've told y'all that I built up a Roubaix frame.

That was Fri.

Haven't ridden it yet! Rained Sun. Trainer on Tues an last nite. Sounds like snow today.

May hafta get out on it Fri AM or Sun 'just cause'

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #18324
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!
 
ThumperDRZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Stinkin' County, MO
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Pretty much any of the fluid trainers are a great bet. I've had Cyclops and have ridden the Kurt Kinetic. Quiet. Smooth. 1 moving part... Right now, I personally own a Cateye Psychostimulator (aka Cyclosimulator) that's ancient. Loud. BUT... it'll kick my ass. www.bikeradar.com has some workouts posted up if you wanna go take a looksee.

Wider seats aren't necessarily better. Depends on yer sit bones. I have a Regal on 2 bikes and a Flite on the third. The Flite's going buh-bye as soon as I get up the $$ for a QBP order. Course, the Turbomatic 4 looks good too. I liked my Turbomatic 2...

M
Thanks for the info - the Kurt Kinetic gets good reviews.....and trust me I need a wider softer seat for a trainer - my butt is bones covered with skin.......when mountain biking I don't notice but any gravel road riding with distance gets my ass feeling like I am sitting on my old DRZ seat.....
__________________
"If you're going through hell.......Keep going!"

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #18325
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
Thanks for the info - the Kurt Kinetic gets good reviews.....and trust me I need a wider softer seat for a trainer - my butt is bones covered with skin.......when mountain biking I don't notice but any gravel road riding with distance gets my ass feeling like I am sitting on my old DRZ seat.....
Listen to me now, hear me later: them soft ass seats are gonna put pressure on bits of yer anatomy that don't need/want pressure on em. Get something firm that fits yer ass. For mtn biking, I like the WTB SS(something)-K. I don't know if they make it any more, but it fits my ass.

The harder yer going, the less pressure yer gonna put on the seat.

The more uprights yer sitting the more pressure yer gonna put on the seat

So... its a tradeoff.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #18326
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Listen to me now, hear me later: them soft ass seats are gonna put pressure on bits of yer anatomy that don't need/want pressure on em. Get something firm that fits yer ass. For mtn biking, I like the WTB SS(something)-K. I don't know if they make it any more, but it fits my ass.

The harder yer going, the less pressure yer gonna put on the seat.

The more uprights yer sitting the more pressure yer gonna put on the seat

So... its a tradeoff.

M

yup, weight should mostly be on your pedals, and arms/hands/shoulders anyway....

Seat just places you in the right position to make the energy, spin it out easier... It's supposed to hurt until you break your ass in, and don' skimp on good shorts/tights insert...
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #18327
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,254
Options... must have options.....

I've been riding the Fargo at least 3-4 a week - some days, it's on the local trails and some days, it's on the street. As a numbers duffus, I find myself wanting to better my times.

The tires on the Fargo are 2.1" and the rims are ...30-mm wide. I suppose that's too wide for a 28mm tire.

I suppose that leaves me two options: another set of wheels or a new bike. Gummee suggested aero and having been out of cycling for most years than some of ya'll have been alive, I had to google that term. Putting aero wheels on a Fargo might be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I could obtain a second set of wheels for $300-$400 and by the time I purchase a new rear cog, tires, tubes, etc, I'm at the $500 mark....if I'm conservative. Maybe I should simply consider a new bike.

Is there a decent $1,000 bike that will allow me to enjoy a faster pace than the Fargo? Is something like the Surly Pacer a good alternative? Are there options in the Trek or Specialized line that would be a good value?

Here's the Pacer:



and the specs are here.

What say the experts? Gummee - are you a QBP-affiliated shop?
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #18328
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I've been riding the Fargo at least 3-4 a week - some days, it's on the local trails and some days, it's on the street. As a numbers duffus, I find myself wanting to better my times.

The tires on the Fargo are 2.1" and the rims are ...30-mm wide. I suppose that's too wide for a 28mm tire.

I suppose that leaves me two options: another set of wheels or a new bike. Gummee suggested aero and having been out of cycling for most years than some of ya'll have been alive, I had to google that term. Putting aero wheels on a Fargo might be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I could obtain a second set of wheels for $300-$400 and by the time I purchase a new rear cog, tires, tubes, etc, I'm at the $500 mark....if I'm conservative. Maybe I should simply consider a new bike.

Is there a decent $1,000 bike that will allow me to enjoy a faster pace than the Fargo? Is something like the Surly Pacer a good alternative? Are there options in the Trek or Specialized line that would be a good value?

Here's the Pacer:



and the specs are here.

What say the experts? Gummee - are you a QBP-affiliated shop?
Since I work for a Jamis and Specialized dealer, I'm biased... Both have good bikes in the $1k range. For true bang for the buck tho, buy something used. Look for something about the same size as yer Fargo and you can prolly either find brand new leftovers, bikes from bikesdirect, or from ebay/CL.

Try the cheap route first. Try the tires like I was suggesting. 28s *may* fit, 30-32s certainly will. Neither are true 'road size' but will be mo bettah than yer 2.1s. If you get closer to the speeds yer lookin for AND are spending more time with traffic and are OK with that, THEN look for a bike and/or wheels.

Speaking of traffic... There wasn't much this AM when I went for a little ride 'round the block.' It'd been looking grey and the weatherdoods were calling for snow. You know how often they're wrong, right? Well, this time they were right. JUST as I got onto the bike in the driveway, flakes started to fall.

Since I was that far (dressed, motivated (damn you Ducnut!), and on my way) I kept going. Snow started falling harder.

Now, mind you, this isn't the fluffy white stuff you get out west. This is pellets of frozen hatred pelting me in the face. ...and the faster you go, the more they hurt! Good thing I was only out for a toodle, huh?!

So I'm ing along enjoying the looks the cages were giving me, watching the snow fall and the road get covered in white crap.

Did I mention I was on the trainer last nite for 90min doing a ladder workout? 1 on, 1 off, 2 on + 2 off, etc up to 5 on + 5 off and back down Watched Wild Hogs and basically cursed Ducnut the whole time.

So I had determined that no matter what, I was going outside today. ON MY ROUBAIX for the first time. So there I am, on a new bike, out in 1" or so of new snow. Bike did fine, cept I found out I'd been riding that particular cassette too long to work with the new chain that was on the bike.

Some thoughts about the Roubaix: Man! this thing is STIFF! With a capital STIFF! Push on the pedals and you scoot forward. NOW! ...but along with that does NOT come a punishing ride. The bumps are muted. You still know they're there, they're just not as pronounced as they are on other bikes. I think once I get the stem low enough, I'm gonna really, really like riding this bike. Responsive too. Gonna hafta keep my hands towards the middle of the bars when I'm reaching for something. I even got the lower end Roubaix and its nice. I wonder what the 'nice' layup feels like?!

I'm in the shop. Got 2 repairs that need parts so won't be able to work on em till Tues at the earliest. Have a half-dozen Jamis bikes to build. C'mon by and keep my company, m'kay?

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #18329
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,254
Thanks Gummee - appreciate the input greatly. I've been watching CL for the last week or so. I'm comfortable with traffic - used to commute 10-miles each way on Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinett County/GA back in the early 80's and again in the 90's. I try to avoid the main streets here but traffic hasn't freaked me out yet when I can't avoid the streets.

I'll also keep an eye on the bikes direct site - not sure why but that site bugs me. If you spot anything there, give me a shout.

Failing that, if you have any good deals and are willing to ship one my way, let me know - I'd love to throw a little business your way as a small thank you for the support and advice that you give here.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #18330
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Thanks Gummee - appreciate the input greatly. I've been watching CL for the last week or so. I'm comfortable with traffic - used to commute 10-miles each way on Jimmy Carter Blvd in Gwinett County/GA back in the early 80's and again in the 90's. I try to avoid the main streets here but traffic hasn't freaked me out yet when I can't avoid the streets.

I'll also keep an eye on the bikes direct site - not sure why but that site bugs me. If you spot anything there, give me a shout.

Failing that, if you have any good deals and are willing to ship one my way, let me know - I'd love to throw a little business your way as a small thank you for the support and advice that you give here.
This is a little overpriced for what it is, but they were nice-riding bicycles. Get him down a bit and its a good place to start.

If you really, really want something new, we can certainly figger something out.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014