Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #18542
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Noice
What he said.

Its ernge too! Now to make enough hp run with the Katooms!

M

edited to add: rain and snow mixed coming down right now. doG must hate me. How'm I sposed to get in shape with this white crap comin outta the sky and makin the roads slippery?! HOW?!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #18543
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Noice
Thanks

It's orange-tastic because obviously it's the fastest color.

The pic isn't 100% accurate - I ended up going for SRAM Force, a compact crank, and the bare-bones-est of wheels (I already have decent training wheels, and the Reynolds are en-route).

50-60 days 'til delivery. Full photoshoot upon arrival.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #18544
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
Thanks

The pic isn't 100% accurate - I ended up going for SRAM Force, a compact crank, and the bare-bones-est of wheels (I already have decent training wheels, and the Reynolds are en-route).

I'm likin the SRAM stuff more and more as I switch back and forth between that and D/A 10sp.

All yer training wheels need to do is go round and round and not go out of round. Anything else is irrelevant. RACING wheels on the other hand...

M
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #18545
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm likin the SRAM stuff more and more as I switch back and forth between that and D/A 10sp.

All yer training wheels need to do is go round and round and not go out of round. Anything else is irrelevant. RACING wheels on the other hand...

M
Yeah, I've been very curious about SRAM. I've read a bunch of comments saying their stuff - particularly their bar-end shifters - is really top notch. I'm not sure if my bike's getting built with the R2Cs or the 'regular' ones (most likely the regular ones), but in any case I'm happy to give them a shot.

And yes - as long as the training wheels are, go and stay round, we're good to go. I thought it would be a pain in the ass to swap brake pads between aluminum and carbon-specific, until I saw this:

Apparently the rear brake is pretty similar. w00t!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #18546
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Yeah, I've been very curious about SRAM. I've read a bunch of comments saying their stuff - particularly their bar-end shifters - is really top notch. I'm not sure if my bike's getting built with the R2Cs or the 'regular' ones (most likely the regular ones), but in any case I'm happy to give them a shot.

And yes - as long as the training wheels are, go and stay round, we're good to go. I thought it would be a pain in the ass to swap brake pads between aluminum and carbon-specific, until I saw this:

Apparently the rear brake is pretty similar. w00t!

I predict in 5 yrs tri geeks will be having plastic surgery on their knee caps and shoulders to make themselves more aerodynamic...

Christ, how much drag can a modern road brake cause that amateur racers (i.e. mortals with day jobs) would think this is going to give them an edge...?

Tri people amaze me. If someone told them to wear Gu wrappers on their genitals because it would increase their times by .1000000000000 of a nano second they'd do it in droves.... and pay someone to train them how to wear them

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #18547
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I predict in 5 yrs tri geeks will be having plastic surgery on their knee caps and shoulders to make themselves more aerodynamic...

Christ, how much drag can a modern road brake cause that amateur racers (i.e. mortals with day jobs) would think this is going to give them an edge...?

Tri people amaze me. If someone told them to wear Gu wrappers on their genitals because it would increase their times by .1000000000000 of a nano second they'd do it in droves.... and pay someone to train them how to wear them
Oh, whatever. That K-bike of yours has more than a few CCs beyond what's strictly necessary, but who cares? It's fun to geek out on bullshit you think is cool, even though you know it doesn't really make a difference.

And as anyone who's tried your technique can attest - gu wrappers can be carried on your genitals only if you've lathered them up in Assos first.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #18548
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
The trigger has been pulled

HOLY SWEET!!!
Enjoy it!!!
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #18549
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Oh, whatever. That K-bike of yours has more than a few CCs beyond what's strictly necessary, but who cares? It's fun to geek out on bullshit you think is cool, even though you know it doesn't really make a difference.

And as anyone who's tried your technique can attest - gu wrappers can be carried on your genitals only if you've lathered them up in Assos first.

Of course it does

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #18550
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Thanks

SRAM is mo' bettah than Shimano.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #18551
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

The problem is that I agree with Perry. Mere mortals know that the bike leg is the only place they can buy speed, so they do. I mean really... how many people in a tri REALLY need those $2000+ wheels they're riding. There's only a handful that're in for the win. INCLUDING age groupers, clydes, etc. The rest are out for a good workout.

(same applies to road racing too, btw)

M
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #18552
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The problem is that I agree with Perry. Mere mortals know that the bike leg is the only place they can buy speed, so they do. I mean really... how many people in a tri REALLY need those $2000+ wheels they're riding. There's only a handful that're in for the win. INCLUDING age groupers, clydes, etc. The rest are out for a good workout.

(same applies to road racing too, btw)

M
The irony in that is that the amateur roadies don't seem to spend as much as their tri brethren in the "arms war"...

I swear on my dog's life I know guys who have bought 8k tri bikes and they don't know how to change the gears correctly, let alone take the wheel off for repairs.

One guy rides a custom tri that must have cost him 12k, and he's seriously a fat guy, way overweight for any remote advantage even half the bike could give him.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #18553
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
[QUOTE=elchulopadre;14967768]Yeah, I've been very curious about SRAM. I've read a bunch of comments saying their stuff - particularly their bar-end shifters - is really top notch. I'm not sure if my bike's getting built with the R2Cs or the 'regular' ones (most likely the regular ones), but in any case I'm happy to give them a shot.

Apparently the rear brake is pretty similar. w00t![/QUOTE

That is some pretty sweet engineering and it is simple to boot which is probably the best thing about it. Those brakes are not all that new because Armstrong used a similar design on his TT bike years ago but they were not integrated like those in the video. I think the brakes he used were made by Shimano AX 600 if memory serves right. I happened to by a used frame years ago and it had these brakes on it. I decided to use the bike specifically for TTs and left the brakes on it as I had never seen anything like them until Armstrong used them later. I assume Shimano must have kept a few of them kicking around for Armstrong to scope them out.Either that or they reproduced them just for him.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #18554
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
The irony in that is that the amateur roadies don't seem to spend as much as their tri brethren in the "arms war"...

I swear on my dog's life I know guys who have bought 8k tri bikes and they don't know how to change the gears correctly, let alone take the wheel off for repairs.

One guy rides a custom tri that must have cost him 12k, and he's seriously a fat guy, way overweight for any remote advantage even half the bike could give him.
Yes I agree shed the weight before going all out with the gear if you want major performance advantages for very little money. Alot of frames and wheels nowadays are weight rated so someone who is very overweight may want to be careful of what they buy. I weigh 182 lbs at 6 ft and I always ask if a frame or wheels have some kind of limits before I spend the money.
Saying that I am still impressed by the feel of wheels with very little rotational mass. A buddy of mine let me use his 404 Zipps for a club ride and it was like WOW,it took very little effort to accelerate them. They ride kind of on the stiff side but man very nice set of wheels. I dont think I would buy them myself as I have a set of Cosmics and FSA 800s which satisfy my needs.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #18555
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:

Of course not! Roadies care a lot more about weight than aerodynamics. It's assumed that you're able to hang with the peloton (or else you'd be in a different cat). If you're in a peloton, aero takes care of itself. What you want is the ability to attack and accelerate away from the pack. And here, the lighter the better. F=MA and all that.

But in triathlon, first of all you don't draft (supposedly ), and secondly you tend to maintain a fairly constant speed. You rarely need to accelerate, so carrying extra weight isn't really a big deal. Ultimately, what you want to achieve through training is a high, sustained, continual power output, and you achieve a speed where that output is balanced out by the drag (ex mostly wind resistance, but there are also frictional losses, rolling resistance, etc).

So obviously the first part of it is getting a good position. You can have a bike with the frontal area of a postage stamp, but if your chest is up and your shoulders are wide apart, well guess what. A proper aero position makes a hell of a lot more of a difference than wheels, frame, helmet, or anything else, and that's why pros spend hours in the wind tunnel tweaking their position.

But there's always a compromise - the most aero position isn't necessarily the most powerful or the most comfortable. I've already found a position that works extremely well for me - comfortable, allows me to put plenty of power down, keeps my legs rested for the run - and is pretty darn aero, to boot.

Once you have the position down, though - that's when the 'arms race' begins. Frames, wheels, helmets, bottles, crotchular gu packets - the works. For pros, it's a way of shaving seconds off their times. But for age groupers - actually, the time differences are a lot higher.

Sure - the fat dude on a custom tri bike may never win Kona. But, aero has benefits, even - especially - for the slow crowd. The reason is very simple: distances are fixed. So the slower you go, the longer you are out on the race course, and the bigger the time savings from reducing wind resistance. Percentage-wise, the time gained by improving aerodynamics doesn't change that much between the pros and the age groupers - but you're working on a bigger 'base', and so the total number is larger. A 10% reduction of CD translates roughly to a 5% reduction of your time.

But in the end, these purchases are hardly rational, anyway. It's suckers enthusiasts like me who pump money into the sport, which allows for pros to get sponsorship and kewl R&D to take place. I'm not looking to win Kona, but I do wanna beat as many of the big ugly bastards as I can - especially the one who stares at me in the bathroom every morning. But the better my gear is, the fewer excuses I have as to why I suck. Maybe I should get a beach cruiser instead

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: