Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #18556
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
Of course not! Roadies care a lot more about weight than aerodynamics. It's assumed that you're able to hang with the peloton (or else you'd be in a different cat). If you're in a peloton, aero takes care of itself. What you want is the ability to attack and accelerate away from the pack. And here, the lighter the better. F=MA and all that.

But in triathlon, first of all you don't draft (supposedly ), and secondly you tend to maintain a fairly constant speed. You rarely need to accelerate, so carrying extra weight isn't really a big deal. Ultimately, what you want to achieve through training is a high, sustained, continual power output, and you achieve a speed where that output is balanced out by the drag (ex mostly wind resistance, but there are also frictional losses, rolling resistance, etc).

So obviously the first part of it is getting a good position. You can have a bike with the frontal area of a postage stamp, but if your chest is up and your shoulders are wide apart, well guess what. A proper aero position makes a hell of a lot more of a difference than wheels, frame, helmet, or anything else, and that's why pros spend hours in the wind tunnel tweaking their position.

But there's always a compromise - the most aero position isn't necessarily the most powerful or the most comfortable. I've already found a position that works extremely well for me - comfortable, allows me to put plenty of power down, keeps my legs rested for the run - and is pretty darn aero, to boot.

Once you have the position down, though - that's when the 'arms race' begins. Frames, wheels, helmets, bottles, crotchular gu packets - the works. For pros, it's a way of shaving seconds off their times. But for age groupers - actually, the time differences are a lot higher.

Sure - the fat dude on a custom tri bike may never win Kona. But, aero has benefits, even - especially - for the slow crowd. The reason is very simple: distances are fixed. So the slower you go, the longer you are out on the race course, and the bigger the time savings from reducing wind resistance. Percentage-wise, the time gained by improving aerodynamics doesn't change that much between the pros and the age groupers - but you're working on a bigger 'base', and so the total number is larger. A 10% reduction of CD translates roughly to a 5% reduction of your time.

But in the end, these purchases are hardly rational, anyway. It's suckers enthusiasts like me who pump money into the sport, which allows for pros to get sponsorship and kewl R&D to take place. I'm not looking to win Kona, but I do wanna beat as many of the big ugly bastards as I can - especially the one who stares at me in the bathroom every morning. But the better my gear is, the fewer excuses I have as to why I suck. Maybe I should get a beach cruiser instead
I get all that. But I've been to a few Tris, and let's be honest, all it takes is one person in front of you to trip or stop to take a photo op or kiss their spouse during a transition and boom - there goes your seconds shaved/advantage.

I see your argument more in a strict time trial ride.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gear junkie too - but I made sure and started out on a 15 yr old rebuild (I did myself) and with junk gear, junk kit, etc. I at least took another step each time in gear to sort of award myself when I felt i was passing a milestone.

I know way too many people (A-typical single yuppies who on avg always go overkill in their new hobbies) who one day wake up and decide they're out of shape.

So instead of just taking up one sport, slowly, gradually - they have to do the Alpha $ over-achiever thing and join a Tri team - which is almost always too much for them to handle that quickly anyway - and then the 12k bikes come into the picture, etc etc etc...

rant off

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #18557
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,824
Well, during my work week riding is not an easy option these days. I get home very near dark. And I don't like riding to and from the bike path on the streets. I'm spoiled.

So, last night I went for a run. OK, as a non-road runner this was really more of a climb, hike, with a little running.
Only a mile and a half. In about 20 minutes. And it beat me good and hard. My legs got more tired and sore than two hours of hard flatness spinning.
So, I count that as good. I figure to improve my technique, and my distance.

One day I'll get over the top of the hill and get to run the loop.

Then the bike should be a snap.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #18558
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I get all that. But I've been to a few Tris, and let's be honest, all it takes is one person in front of you to trip or stop to take a photo op or kiss their spouse during a transition and boom - there goes your seconds shaved/advantage.

I see your argument more in a strict time trial ride.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gear junkie too - but I made sure and started out on a 15 yr old rebuild (I did myself) and with junk gear, junk kit, etc. I at least took another step each time in gear to sort of award myself when I felt i was passing a milestone.

I know way too many people (A-typical single yuppies who on avg always go overkill in their new hobbies) who one day wake up and decide they're out of shape.

So instead of just taking up one sport, slowly, gradually - they have to do the Alpha $ over-achiever thing and join a Tri team - which is almost always too much for them to handle that quickly anyway - and then the 12k bikes come into the picture, etc etc etc...

rant off
Yup - triathlon is the new golf. But that's ok, I love the sport - and the more people spend $12k on a bike, the cooler the bike bling gets. And if they pass me, it's my own damn fault for not training properly.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #18559
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Well, during my work week riding is not an easy option these days. I get home very near dark. And I don't like riding to and from the bike path on the streets. I'm spoiled.

So, last night I went for a run. OK, as a non-road runner this was really more of a climb, hike, with a little running.
Only a mile and a half. In about 20 minutes. And it beat me good and hard. My legs got more tired and sore than two hours of hard flatness spinning.

Yeah, take it easy! Your body doesn't take a pounding when you ride. It's very common for cyclists who start running to think that because their legs are strong and their heart/lungs work well, that running's just a matter of technique. Well, yes - and no.

Very different muscle groups, and very different strain on those muscles. Take it easy and build it up gradually, even if you feel like you have the endurance to continue.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #18560
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
That is some pretty sweet engineering and it is simple to boot which is probably the best thing about it. Those brakes are not all that new because Armstrong used a similar design on his TT bike years ago but they were not integrated like those in the video. I think the brakes he used were made by Shimano AX 600 if memory serves right. I happened to by a used frame years ago and it had these brakes on it. I decided to use the bike specifically for TTs and left the brakes on it as I had never seen anything like them until Armstrong used them later. I assume Shimano must have kept a few of them kicking around for Armstrong to scope them out.Either that or they reproduced them just for him.
That brake design is much older'n that. Can anyone say 'Suntour Power Cam?' I know I can. These are a modified and updated version. (my google-fu is weak today cause I can't find a pic)

I guess I *could* go take a pic of the brake on the rear of the 89 Merlin behind me, but then I'd hafta post it up and link it up and... ...and well, I just don't want the hassle! :lazy

M
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #18561
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

You want weeknite motivation? Find yer local hash.

Chasing pretty girls thru the woods is fantastic motivation!

M
Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #18562
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That brake design is much older'n that. Can anyone say 'Suntour Power Cam?' I know I can. These are a modified and updated version. (my google-fu is weak today cause I can't find a pic)

I guess I *could* go take a pic of the brake on the rear of the 89 Merlin behind me, but then I'd hafta post it up and link it up and... ...and well, I just don't want the hassle! :lazy

M
These?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #18563
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
These?

Si.

Great brakes but fiddly to adjust. Hadta have a special tool, etc

M
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #18564
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Y'all are forgetting I'm old. I don't even chase cold beer anymore.

I used to run a little. When I raced bicycles I would run one 5K per year in Vail in the Fall. I would run the two weeks prior and kick all the runners I went with to the curb, and end the run laughing. They were running about 30 miles a week, and I was riding about 500.
Now? I get about a 100 miles of riding in and back in October or so I ran a few miles on the treadmill at the hotel up North.
I figure running gear is lighter than all the bike crap I normally carry so my evil plan is to run while traveling.
Next trip north the old skool ride gets packed and brought home.

I figure tonight I'll take it easy and walk up the top of the hill and around. There are spots that approach 20% so it is a good hike. Maybe I can sucker my wife into walking with me?

Quote:
You want weeknite motivation? Find yer local hash.

Chasing pretty girls thru the woods is fantastic motivation!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #18565
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Maybe I can sucker my wife into walking with me?
Like I said: chasing pretty girls thru the woods is great motivation!

M
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #18566
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:

M
I had those on my Ross Mt Ranier.....

and the rear brake was mounted behind the BB real low too.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #18567
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So I ordered myself a pair of S-Works Prevail helmets (white and red/white/black) an Ion Yellow jacket, and an Ion Yellow jersey.

I'm out $300!

The last pair of helmets were bought in Sandy Eggo, so I'd say they're due for replacement. That'd be 6-ish to 7-ish years ago now. Man, does time fly!

M
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #18568
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

You got me there!

Quote:
Like I said: chasing pretty girls thru the woods is great motivation!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #18569
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

There's another glitch in the matrix: I can't get to what vbulletin considers the last page.

So the freezing rain mix we had last nite all melted off when the temps got into the 40s, so what does it do last nite? Fogs up and possibly freezes again. Luckily, its my day off so I'm gonna head to Lowes to find a wrench for the nut that holds the faucet onto the sink, fix the sink, THEN go ride 3 hours.

M
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #18570
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I had those on my Ross Mt Ranier.....

and the rear brake was mounted behind the BB real low too.
Come to think of it my Nishiki MTB had the same set up but I never paid much attention to them. I think they were a bigger version of the centre pull. So what came first the Campy Delta or the Suntour.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: