Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #18721
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Good man. I refuse to go out today and ride until it goes above 65.
If I did that, I'd be waiting till May to ride.

Lots of folks in/near where I live refuse to go out till its over 45deg. That's mid-April!

You wanna stay fit? Ya gotta either ride the trainer (ugh) or ride outside. Guess which I pick?

M
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #18722
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Quote:
Several of us are going - we need to meet.
we're in as well! First year! Do we need to find a team?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #18723
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Woohooooo! I had my first race of the year - the Miami Half-Marathon. Yeah, yeah, bicycle thread yadda yadda yadda. Whatever. I proved to myself that I'm fully recovered by putting in a 1:48 effort (about 4m shy of my PR) with zero back or rib pain, and basically no real running since my crash three weeks ago.

elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #18724
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Got out this morning for 10, yesterday for 20, and Friday for 5, on the 29er demo bike. All single track. The LBS gets it back tomorrow. Maybe I should wash the mud off of it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #18725
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 884
The repairs on the CX bike are complete! Did some poking around last weekend and resumed riding to work. Went on a really nice 25 mi. CX ride yesterday with a group from the LBS. There were some bruised egos; three of us took soil samples and I got to change a flat in front of a live studio audience. If this rain lets up, I think I'll go knock the MTB around a bit.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #18726
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If I did that, I'd be waiting till May to ride.

Lots of folks in/near where I live refuse to go out till its over 45deg. That's mid-April!

You wanna stay fit? Ya gotta either ride the trainer (ugh) or ride outside. Guess which I pick?

M
I'd do the same as you if there were no other options. No worries there!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #18727
k7
Ancien cyclist

Ridin' a recumbent

As much as I enjoy the Fargo, I was still looking for something different. I've always had a passing interest in recumbents and decided to shop around and see what I like.

Naturally, Bill the Duck joined me in the quest for something different. The first stop was Sun Cycles in Phoenix. We each test-road several variants including a P-38, a Sun EZ Sport and a couple of recumbent three-wheelers.

The P-38 was a small-front wheel/large rear wheel bike with the crank-forward. Nice bike and it took a little peddling to get the hang of it. The trikes were fun - lots of fun - but I don't think I'm quite ready for one of those just yet.

I had noted a used Catrike Expedition for sale down in Marana so BTD and I rode down yesterday morning for a test-ride. Again, lots of fun and this particular version, built in Florida by a Brazilian mechanical engineer, was fairly fast. I did a nice powerslide into the guy's driveway - he didn't mind.

We continued down to Ajo Bikes in Tucson - an amazing place. I had called down to check their stock but upon arrival, they really only had two that were large enough for me and no used ones.

On Friday night, there was a model that I was interested in for sale in Phx on Craigs list. I had sent them a note asking about the frame size and sure enough, it was the large one that would fit me. On the way home from Tucson, we made arrangements to meet.

The bike was exactly what I was looking for - a Bacchetta Giro 26 ATT. The 26 indicates the tire size but this would was upgraded by the owner to 700c's. It was has a carbon front fork. BTD and I loaded it up into my wife's car and we brought it home.

Now, I gave BTD the option to stop at my house on the way to look at the bike and pick up his car. That way, he could head home or even go, look at the bike w/ me and then head home. He elected to stay with me - I think just to see the look on MrsK7's face when we unloaded it.

MrsK7 always goes with the flow - she didn't mind at all and of course, wondered about the design and my safety. It's all good.

I took it for a short ride today for about 45 minutes. Man, riding one of these things is definitely different. I didn't do any significant climbs but on some of the smaller hills, I was definitely slower than "normal". These also appear to require a different set of muscles than a regular diamond-frame. It's going to take a little time to build that muscle set up.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh - the bike. I need to do a little maintenance but overall, I'm very pleased. I've installed my computer from the Fargo and need to figure out where to mount my pump. For today's ride, I stuff my little spare tube kit in one of the bottle holders. I need new peddles also... all in due time.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #18728
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
With back supported by the seat on a recumbent, rider can have higher power output than a regular upright bicycle.
I tend spin at higher cadence and use much shorter cranks on a recumbent, 165mm or 155mm in compare to my road bike 172.5mm or 175mm.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #18729
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:

Niiiiice!

You officially have the Goldwing of bicycles.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #18730
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Nice, Garry! I've got a recumbent trike that I'm currently farkling out. I love it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #18731
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
Niiiiice!

You officially have the Goldwing of bicycles.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #18732
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Nice, Garry! I've got a recumbent trike that I'm currently farkling out. I love it.
Oh yeah? Which one? Bill the Duck rode an ICE Adventure model....and loved it.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #18733
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
I hauled my old trainer up to the high desert to a friend's place so he can train indoors. Froze myself a bit riding up there, (motorcycle), wet and cold ride back down the hill.
I was thinking I'd get an afternoon ride in once I got home.

But, once I got home it was more blustery, cold and the rain got heavy.
I could go get soaked, and freeze in the rain, or I could sit by the fire and sip a fresh triple shot Americano. Guess which one won?

Fire and coffee every time. I have my weaknesses. And I obey them.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #18734
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I hauled my old trainer up to the high desert to a friend's place so he can train indoors. Froze myself a bit riding up there, (motorcycle), wet and cold ride back down the hill.
I was thinking I'd get an afternoon ride in once I got home.

But, once I got home it was more blustery, cold and the rain got heavy.
I could go get soaked, and freeze in the rain, or I could sit by the fire and sip a fresh triple shot Americano. Guess which one won?

Fire and coffee every time. I have my weaknesses. And I obey them.
Give me a triple shot of that stuff. I have a manual machine that I normally do doubles for my Americano. Alot of people in this country still dont know what that is. Thats probably because we all drink Tim Horribles or I oops Hortons.
You know what goes good with Americano is steak med. rare and diced black olives slathered all over the steak. Umm just had some tonight.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #18735
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Oh yeah? Which one? Bill the Duck rode an ICE Adventure model....and loved it.
One LBS tried real hard to sell me a Catrike, but I's po'. So I went with the Sun EZ. Aside from frustration with the rear rack, i really like it. It's going to be my cold/ice weather rider, and my long-haul vehicle. A picture from back in the summer;

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: