Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #18751
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
For how much snow you have been getting this winter you might need a Pugsley.

The Specialized Stumpjumper 29er hardtail is less than 2k and is nicely specked. The Gary Fisher by Trek bikes are pretty nice also, Paragon or the X-cal depending on what you want to spend.

I got x country skis for that already this yr....

I tried out a few Fisher (by Trek they call it now), and they seemed nice too.

I'll look into them, thanks.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #18752
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Spring is here!

I have made some progress.

The Mavic's were a bit of a pain to get the tires on since they were narrower. Tough getting the schrader valve through the rim without it pulling back. Got the front together though. I'll have to wait a little while for the rear as I still need to get a chain whip. The new wheel is a huge improvement over the old one. It feels stronger and the best part, the rim runs true! I'll still have to swap the magnet tone ring for the Avocet. I'm not sure if it will clip on as the Deore hub looks a bit larger.

Oh and I shaved a 1/4" patch off my knuckle from those Mavic's. Hand slipped and the edge on the rim brake might as well be a cheese grater.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #18753
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Update: Yay! (And by yay, I mean no more excuses!)

I'm somewhat allergic to doctors (yes, I'm an idiot), but after two weeks I finally saw one. Yesterday was the first day I was 100% pain-free - I gave myself the two weeks to fully recover, swimming almost daily just to keep moving. My scabs have already fallen off (my knees and left hand), and I'm feeling strong as ever. Anyway, after the doctor was done examining my back and chest, asking questions about my mobility, knees, etc, and listening to the noises my chest makes, he saw no need to xray and had no reservations about me resuming training at full intensity.

So I'm back in full swing! My cyclocross bike is here, set up and rearing to go, with the Speed Concept on order (and my insurance check reportedly in the mail). I may be two weeks behind, but this week's training schedule looks perfectly manageable - and I have plenty of pent-up energy to spend!

So, nothing but good news. Woohooo!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #18754
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
That is Specialized's version of a top cap. it has an offset hole because the stem has an eccentric inside of it. by changing the position of the eccentric or swapping it out with another I can change the rise of the stem. The stock one is 8 or 16 degree, they make a few other eccentrics I can replace it with.
Oooh, very cool. Makes it a lot more tweakable, I guess. Thanks!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #18755
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Worth a laugh. Hope its not 205.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 08:55 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #18756
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #18757
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Whatever you do DO NOT ride the Epic S-Works with the 2x10!
I was questioned about my desire for SRAM 2X10. Ya' know: won't be low enough gear, gained clearance won't be much, the shift performance can't be all that, yadda yadda yadda. Then, they saw it in action. One went to the LBS and inquired about swapping over. And, was actually bragging about the stuff.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #18758
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...but that's why I always have 2 of everything. 1 goes down for something, you have another as backup.

...and it spreads wear and tear over both things (or 3, or 4, or...) so they last longer.
That shit never works for me. Whether bikes or motorcycles, I wind up riding one until it needs maintenance and then ride the other until it, too, needs maintenance - then deal with having to pay for the parts for and find time to do maintenance on everything all at once.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #18759
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Is a 100 mile ride like a half, or more like a marathon?
My longest road bike ride in decades was probably high 30s. I rode a metric century on a Thursday and, based on the general lack of discomfort on that ride, did a full century 2 days later. I was pretty exhausted by the end of the full century (in hot weather) but we basically raced the final 15-20 miles. The only side effects for me was insatiable hunger for about 3 days. That, and I couldn't put my ass on a bike seat for a few days, either. Other than that, I was fine. I'd say a century is much more like a half century, especially if you are already capable of riding 30-50 mile rides.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #18760
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
One guy rides a custom tri that must have cost him 12k, and he's seriously a fat guy, way overweight for any remote advantage even half the bike could give him.
Writing a check is WAY easier than losing weight (or gaining skill). Ask any amateur cyclist, motorcycle racer, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #18761
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I was questioned about my desire for SRAM 2X10. Ya' know: won't be low enough gear, gained clearance won't be much, the shift performance can't be all that, yadda yadda yadda. Then, they saw it in action. One went to the LBS and inquired about swapping over. And, was actually bragging about the stuff.

2x10 is a load of crap. With a triple I've at least got 3 chances to line up a near perfect chainline when the going gets ugly. And thinner, wimpier chains have been exactly what I've been asking for for *years*! I can't believe they started putting this on the Fargo. But then it comes with a thudbuster now too, so who knows what kind of people are buying these things?

If I wanted to run a screwed up chainline all the time, I'd just man up and go 1x9.

Well, actually- I am this year. But with an internally geared hub. I can ignore chain maintenance for miles now.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #18762
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
2x10 is a load of crap.

M
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #18763
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
2x10 is pretty sweet. Near instant front shifting. The 11-36 cassette with a 26 tooth inner ring and 39 outer will cover all the gearing you should need. Any easier and you should be walking, any faster and you probaly need a road bike. You can also get a 28-42 crank if you ride faster trails.

I remember back in the day when the easiest gear on a MTB was a 28 granny and a 28 big cog. Now 22 granny and 34 cog is standard. That is almost useless.

The big "S" companies are claiming that the 10 speed chains are as strong or stronger than their 9 speed counterparts. I can't remember the exact reasoning but I'll try to look it up.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #18764
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
I've got 3x9 on the Fat, with a 32 middle and a 12/34 on the back. I love the 32/34 when climbing. I might explore other options when I build up my FS dream bike. It's just a dream right now...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #18765
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
Writing a check is WAY easier than losing weight (or gaining skill). Ask any amateur cyclist, motorcycle racer, etc.
In his defense, some guys like the trikes for pure comfort and it's their way of starting an exercise program again.

Plus, it's easier to eat and ride at the same time.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: