Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #18751
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

Ok, I've been thinking. Mainly because it's snowy out and I don't have anything else to do. Currently I run 20's on that trike. It's what they came with.

Is there any reason I couldn't put bigger wheels & tires on it, for better off roading/inclement weather on-roading? Someone tell me why that wouldn't work.
rear wheel looks like it would be the hard part to change over. You may need to swap cassette or cogs as well, as the gear ratio would change...
Brek81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #18752
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
rear wheel looks like it would be the hard part to change over. You may need to swap cassette or cogs as well, as the gear ratio would change...
I believe that most mods are done to the rear wheel only - search for mods over on bentrideronline.com or post a note.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #18753
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
If you re-lace the front hubs to 26" rims, the tires may rub aginst your arms or seat before you reach steering stops.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #18754
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
If you re-lace the front hubs to 26" rims, the tires may rub aginst your arms or seat before you reach steering stops.
Hmmm...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #18755
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
and raising the front raises the CoG making it more tippable on turns, as well as raising your legs even higher, making it harder to see.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #18756
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
and raising the front raises the CoG making it more tippable on turns, as well as raising your legs even higher, making it harder to see.
Quote:
...which is why most appear to focus on the rear/drive wheel.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #18757
pierce
Aven'Tourer

well, raising the back would also raise the CoG, assuming it could fit in the rear stays, which I don't think it could without a lot of re-engineering.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #18758
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
well, raising the back would also raise the CoG, assuming it could fit in the rear stays, which I don't think it could without a lot of re-engineering.
True - but I don't think it's as significant as raising all three wheels though in regards to COG. That's why I suggested he post in the trikes section at bentriders - I'm sure someone has already tried it.

I test-rode a couple with larger drive wheels - didn't have any issues but again, these were test-rides. The catrike expedition has a 26" rear - and was a blast to ride. I believe it comes with a 20" rear option - and I doubt there's any difference in the frames although I'm sure they were designed for both.

(Made in 'merica by a Brazilian mechanical engineer)

Wheel flex can be interesting - but not totally a bad thing I suppose. Look at about the 1:06 point here - it has a 700c rear wheel.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #18759
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
On a DD* bike note: I'm building up a 'new to me' Y2K Quattro Assi Team bike. Gonna move the DA over from the rain bike and stick 105 on that. Basically, I just got a 10YO brand spankin new ride.

M

*Double Diamond not the boob size!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #18760
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,460
Quote:
I'm really not worried about the COG on this one - the point of raising it up is to get my butt up out of the muck & slush.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #18761
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
i was wondering if somebody could assist on a road bike fitment issue...ive got a 1999 Trek 2300, 56cm, and have always felt like either my arms are too short, or the handlebar reach is too long when on the brake hoods or drops and my hands get uncomfortable. i am 5'-9", with a 31" inseam. i love my bike and have most everything else dialed in (seat height, seat fore/aft). to solve my problem a few years ago, i replaced my drop bars with some bullhorn bars which have worked out well, but it reduces my hand placement locations, not great for long rides.

i was thinking of getting a different quill stem with some rise to it, such as a profile quill stem, 60mm, 105 degree. the current stem is an icon quill, 100mm, 90 degree (its not one of the recall stems). I am hoping that by bringing the bars closer and a little higher than what i have now, i will be able to better reach the drops and hoods.

any thoughts? am i crazy? as much as i would like to buy a new bike, its not in the cards right now.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #18762
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,838
54 cm would be a better fit. My Pinarello is 56, and I'm 5'10"

56 will work, shorten up the stem and drop the saddle, and push it forward. Assuming you have racing geometry bike.

I changed to a threadless-sort of thingy.
I think that threadless stem in the picture is about a 100mm.
The quill stem is about a 110, 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
i was wondering if somebody could assist on a road bike fitment issue...ive got a 1999 Trek 2300, 56cm, and have always felt like either my arms are too short, or the handlebar reach is too long when on the brake hoods or drops and my hands get uncomfortable. i am 5'-9", with a 31" inseam. i love my bike and have most everything else dialed in (seat height, seat fore/aft). to solve my problem a few years ago, i replaced my drop bars with some bullhorn bars which have worked out well, but it reduces my hand placement locations, not great for long rides.

i was thinking of getting a different quill stem with some rise to it, such as a profile quill stem, 60mm, 105 degree. the current stem is an icon quill, 100mm, 90 degree (its not one of the recall stems). I am hoping that by bringing the bars closer and a little higher than what i have now, i will be able to better reach the drops and hoods.

any thoughts? am i crazy? as much as i would like to buy a new bike, its not in the cards right now.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #18763
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post

I'm with "Mr Head". I'm 5'10", but, short torso/long legs. I ride a 54cm. I could ride a 56cm, but, I don't like to be in such a racy position. I, also, ride aerobars, which favor a shorter toptube.

I'd suggest going to the same setup as "Mr Head" and getting a threadless adapter. This will allow you to walk into any shop and get/try stems, as they all stock threadless options. Make sure you know your bar's clamp diameter, before you go and buy a stem. You can get a threadless as short as 50mm or with as much as 125 degree rise. QBP's housebrand of stem is called Dimension. They're about $25 each. Plenty of stem for the average dude. There's a stem chart in the Sutherland's manual that'll allow one to compare height vs length of stems. Check with your local LBS or buy a copy of the chart online.

No need to buy a new bike.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #18764
pierce
Aven'Tourer

a 1999 Trek 2300 looks like a decent bike.

(hoping that works)

hard to say from that pic if thats threaded or threadless. bikepedia says its a 1" tange-seiki 'vantage' headset. means nothing to me. 'icon' stem. ditto.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #18765
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Mr. Head, ducnut, pierce, thanks for the replies. i have done exactly that, saddle pushed nearly all the way forward (also replaced the icon offset seatpost with a thompson straight seatpost). i think the bottom line is the bike is one size too large, but i love it too much to get something different. Its a very decent bike, with Ultegra components and i just recently upgraded the Rolf wheels to some nicer Rolf Prima Vigors that i got on sale (mostly, so that my Trek matches the color scheme of my FZ6).

the headset on mine is a 1" threaded headset (shimano 600, i believe), and "Icon" was Treks house brand ~10 years ago. i would say it does have fast-ish geometry (at least i feel like im going fast when i ride it).

Ultimately, my riding style and type has changed over the years. i used to be able to fit in short fast rides, but i want to ride some longer rides (MS150), so i need a better solution. ill give a shorter, more rise stem change a try.

taki5 screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 05:10 AM
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: