Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #18796
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I was looking at that bike, but, I needed more travel. I was on a 26" Giant Anthem 1, when I was looking. I was simply blowing through the travel riding roots and ruts. My MTB partner was on a ~140mm travel 26" and it was working well. So, I went with a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er. I'm so glad I went 29er.

You may consider the Specialized Epic Comp 29er, though, I believe the Anthem 29er is lighter.

Just finished reading an article on crossfit. I wish my joint health was better, as I'd love to participate. The program reminds me of my military days.
I will check out that Specialized, thanks. I am partial to XT parts which is one reason the Giant appeals. I'm also better friends with the Giant dealer which is worth something to me.

Our CF instructor is retired Navy Seal...sometimes when he gets after me I feel that heat. It's impressive.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #18797
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
I test rode the X1 and really liked the way it handled. Way too much blue bling on there for my taste though. I couldn't find out too much about the wheelset that the bike came with but the rest of the components were good.

I already had a set of King hubs though and wanted to try out the SRAM 2x10 (Hey Askel ) so I ended up going with the other bike I was looking at which is the Niner Jet 9. I just ordered the frame and a bunch of parts and built it up. They both seem to handle pretty similar though. I think you'll be happy with the Giant and happy with the big wheels no matter you get.

Check out the new Salsa Spearfish 29er for the working man's version.
The blue bling is a bit much, I agree. Not sure on the wheels but I'm in the habit of keeping my bikes for about a decade so the wheels will be changed out for DT Swiss (local W Colo based company) at some point.

That Salsa is nicer than I expected. I'm not sure I could do it as I raced on a Salsa A la Carte when Ross Shafer was the owner and I have hung out with him a handful of times. The new aluminum models lack the rich salsa soul for me. Some of the guys from Salsa went and started Soulcraft and make great bikes...we'll see how things go.

I'd get a Niner if money was not an issue. Or maybe a Lenzsport. I'm trying to get it done without feeling as if I'm neglecting my son's college fund.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #18798
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
What cadence should I be riding at? My knees have been bugging me. I was chatting with a triathlon coach the other day. When I mentioned my knees he asked about bike fit (which I think is OK) then he said that I should be pedaling at 85-90 rpm. He said it would help my knees. Damn, that's a lot of rpm! I've been riding at more like 70. What do you guys recommend?
Proper bike fit will lead to more riding which will lead to higher cadence. Proper bike fit is HUGE.

Also, speedplay pedals will help knee issues (on a road bike).
Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #18799
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Ooooof.

I just got off of my first road bike (with gears-I've had a fixie for a while). Really, my first ride of any substance for years. My butt hurts (I know, duct tape...).

Anyway, I wanted a steel frame, and I didn't have a lot of scratch for what is essentially an experiment. So, my buddy sells Masi bikes, and they offer a line of steel frames. I ended up with this:

Double butted, Tiagra 9-spd, and not bad looking. Not a full-blown race bike, but not bad nonetheless. I doubt my Turner will be embarrassed to share garage space.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #18800
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
I test rode the X1 and really liked the way it handled. Way too much blue bling on there for my taste though.
Same here. I couldn't get past the way it looked. Way too much flash.

I still don't like the polished aluminum on my Stumpy. Yet, everyone else seems to like it. Maybe, I have no taste.

Quote:
I couldn't find out too much about the wheelset that the bike came with but the rest of the components were good.
My guess is they're re-branded something-or-another, as they've really stepped up the house-branding, this year.

My experience with their stock build is that they chase grams, at the expense of durability. Understandable, since their stuff is always light. The wheelset would be my first upgrade, having taco-ed the front wheel (WTB) on my 26" Anthem. I couldn't believe how much stiffer the replacement Mavic wheelset was.

Quote:
I already had a set of King hubs though and wanted to try out the SRAM 2x10 (Hey Askel ) so I ended up going with the other bike I was looking at which is the Niner Jet 9.
Ughhh! I was drooling over that or a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Both are such awesome rides. Unfortunately, I don't have a box of MTB parts for a buildup and acquiring stuff was beyond my budget.

Quote:
Check out the new Salsa Spearfish 29er for the working man's version.
Have you seen the graphics on that dude? Just gorgeous!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #18801
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I just got off of my first road bike (with gears-I've had a fixie for a while). Really, my first ride of any substance for years. My butt hurts (I know, duct tape...).
What are we duct taping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Anyway, I wanted a steel frame, and I didn't have a lot of scratch for what is essentially an experiment. So, my buddy sells Masi bikes, and they offer a line of steel frames. I ended up with this:

Double butted, Tiagra 9-spd, and not bad looking. Not a full-blown race bike, but not bad nonetheless. I doubt my Turner will be embarrassed to share garage space.
Ahhh, screw the bike snobs! I like it.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #18802
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
HOLY SWEET!!!
Enjoy it!!!
Not my cup of tea, but that is one Bitchen looking Bike!!
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #18803
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody have cycling knowledge of Florida?

I'm looking at the Cross Florida Greenway. Based on the government sites, they say it's a 110 mile greenway. However, when I look at the maps, it looks like a bunch of community trails linked together. IDK. I can't figure out what the hell it is. I'd like to ride coast-to-coast, but, without a solid map or knowledge of what exactly the greenway is, I don't want to risk it.

Also, what about mountain biking? I see all kinds of MTB trails. Is it worth it to take a MTB? Or, are they just paths in the trees? I ask this because I want to immerse myself in cycling for the week and don't want to miss out on an opportunity. Also, I'd have to take my truck to carry 4 bikes versus taking the car, which gets about 50% better mileage.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #18804
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,414
Not many "mountains" in FL to do decent mountain biking...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #18805
jquinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
FL trails

Florida does have an IMBA epic trail at Santos in Ocala. Never been there but MTB Action had a review a few months ago and they liked it. Here is a link http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/santos.html
jquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #18806
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Ughhh! I was drooling over that or a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Both are such awesome rides. Unfortunately, I don't have a box of MTB parts for a buildup and acquiring stuff was beyond my budget.

Have you seen the graphics on that dude? Just gorgeous!
I really liked the Tallboy but it was just too much $$. The 2010 Jet frames are 40% off right now so that tilted me in that direction. I could have gone used on the Tallboy but I really didn't want to be the second owner of a carbon mountain bike.

I haven't seen the graphics up close on the Spearfish. That is really sharp! Salsa has some cool looking stuff. I always liked the green Dos Niner.

Here is my Jet 9. I'm still trying to get the stem height and length straightened out before I whack off the rest of the steerer tube.
brewer90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #18807
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Also, what about mountain biking? I see all kinds of MTB trails. Is it worth it to take a MTB? Or, are they just paths in the trees? I ask this because I want to immerse myself in cycling for the week and don't want to miss out on an opportunity. Also, I'd have to take my truck to carry 4 bikes versus taking the car, which gets about 50% better mileage.
The previously mentioned Santos has some decent riding. I'd rather do that than ride roads or bike paths in Florida. At least the trails at Santos have some curves and ups and downs.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #18808
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn View Post
Florida does have an IMBA epic trail at Santos in Ocala. Never been there but MTB Action had a review a few months ago and they liked it. Here is a link http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/santos.html
Oh wow! That explains all the MTBs I see on the back of vehicles on I-75. Thanks for that link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90
That turned out really nice. I like the white w/black components. Long-cage RD scares me, though. Around here, roots and rocks like to grab 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
The previously mentioned Santos has some decent riding. I'd rather do that than ride roads or bike paths in Florida. At least the trails at Santos have some curves and ups and downs.
Well, we like both types of riding. The bike paths/rail-to-trails offer peace and serenity, from traffic, and allow us to experience nature, while covering some miles. With MTB, we're concentrating on the terrain and sometimes forget why we like riding in the woods. We ride the local MTB trails during the week, to avoid people. I'm thinking we may take both types of bikes.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #18809
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Proper bike fit will lead to more riding which will lead to higher cadence. Proper bike fit is HUGE.

Also, speedplay pedals will help knee issues (on a road bike).
I am also a big rider who use to grind those cranks at low RPM, but a few years ago I decided it was time to spin so I mounted a polar cadence sensor and started working on the spin. On the road I can now average 90 RPM and on the track I will average 100 RPM which compared to everyone else is quite average as many of the guys will average 110. Most of these people are Cat 1,2 road racers so they pay particular attention to the spin. It is much easier on the knees and you will be more energy efficient. Also I run the speedplay pedals along with the DMT shoes which are speedplay compatible souls. I like my DMTs the best of all the others that I have had. I have had Carnacs,sidis,specialized,and the DMTs are best for me. They have a lower stack height as well since you dont have to use the adaptor plates.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #18810
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
What cadence should I be riding at? My knees have been bugging me. I was chatting with a triathlon coach the other day. When I mentioned my knees he asked about bike fit (which I think is OK) then he said that I should be pedaling at 85-90 rpm. He said it would help my knees. Damn, that's a lot of rpm! I've been riding at more like 70. What do you guys recommend?
Ride what's comfortable for ya. Me? 90-ish is usual.

Knee pain's not something to brush off. Ask Tom Boonen!

AFA knee pains: in the front of the knee = saddle too low (or pushing too big a gear too soon in the season)
Pain in the back of the knee = saddle too high
Pain on the sides = misadjusted cleats

Don't monkey around with the knee. Get that one figgered out ASAP.

AFA the old: spin faster thing. Most efficient HR-wise is slower. 50-70rpm. Most efficient muscular-wise is faster. 90-110. ie: you wear yer muscles out faster spinning slower and wear out your aerobic system spinning faster. Guess which'll last longer?

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: