Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #18856
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Thanks but I'm sure he wouldn't want to be slowed down my my slow fat ass. I've been off the pedal bike and on the moto bike too long.
As soon as the weather breaks though...
We already had this conversation so I won't call you a wuss-boy again in front of all these fine folks. I wouldn't do that to you.

You get that job?

M
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #18857
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
I'm tempted to try the Time iClic pedals, mostly because they have both lateral and angular float - not that Keos ever bothered me, but if I'm gonna do a 112-mile warmup for a marathon, well, it helps to keep those knees happy.
I had Time ATAC XS Carbon on my MTB, for a while. They work and feel like they're between CB Candy and Eggbeater. They easily roll while trying to engage and don't engage as easily as CB. Also, they don't like mud at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
So it's a game of musical... um... pedals, here at lachulacasa.
That's why I have the same brand on both bikes. I had Speedplays on the 'cross. But, I got tired of being restricted, off the bike, with road cleats. I'm really enjoying the versatility of recessed cleats and one pair of shoes for both. Although, I may end up buying another pair of shoes for the road, since I get shoes pretty nasty on the MTB.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #18858
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I had Time ATAC XS Carbon on my MTB, for a while. They work and feel like they're between CB Candy and Eggbeater. They easily roll while trying to engage and don't engage as easily as CB. Also, they don't like mud at all.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent spokes - mud isn't a problem on the tri-bike, and my shoes will be locked into the pedals on raceday anyway (the only time I REALLY care about minimizing entry delay).

Quote:
That's why I have the same brand on both bikes. I had Speedplays on the 'cross. But, I got tired of being restricted, off the bike, with road cleats. I'm really enjoying the versatility of recessed cleats and one pair of shoes for both. Although, I may end up buying another pair of shoes for the road, since I get shoes pretty nasty on the MTB.
Hmmm... interesting. The tri bike will be for heavy training/racing more than anything else. But the CX and fixie are destined for much more casual, just-riding duty, and they really could use the same kind of pedal/shoe with no problem. And recessed cleats are nice. Candys for the CX as well, then? Damn you!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #18859
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
I needed to get some bread rolls for dinner. So after work I rode 50kms out of my way to get some

I am loving the cyclocross bike 20kms on the dirt and 44kms on the road. 78 all up for the day. 450kms since I bought it a month ago.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #18860
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
That looks very fun. How does it feel to ride something with "road like" geometry (sorry, I'm not very well-versed in "non-extreme biking") off-road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #18861
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Vasiliev View Post
That looks very fun. How does it feel to ride something with "road like" geometry (sorry, I'm not very well-versed in "non-extreme biking") off-road?

Its interesting when you hit a sand patch at 40km/h and you spear off the track into a tree

Other than that its ok if you take your time and don't go too silly.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #18862
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Other than that its ok if you take your time and don't go too silly.
Don't race cross! Its the exact opposite of taking yer time and not going silly.

M
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #18863
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If ya ride a 17" and want a rigid singlespeed, lemme know. I'll make ya a deal on one.

AFA the biopace stuff: I didn't have a choice. I saved, and saved, and saved up for that Rockhopper with the Mtn Exage 7sp stuff on it. FINALLY got the thing and proceeded to ride it all over. Didn't know any better, so I just went and did things that I'd over now.

Had serious lust for a Ritchey P-22 and a Bridgestone MB-0 (but I think I was always too heavy for the Zip, so I settled on the -1)

Oh those were the days... Young, stoopit, in some kinda shape... (looking down) Where'd THAT dood go?!

M
Thanks for the offer on the 17" singlespeed, but I'd look like a bullfrog on a walnut riding a bike that small. Sounds like we had very similar experiences back in our younger days.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #18864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Thanks for the offer on the 17" singlespeed, but I'd look like a bullfrog on a walnut riding a bike that small. Sounds like we had very similar experiences back in our younger days.
There's a few things that I regret about them days. A big one is not actually buying a MC when I was there. Had my M cert. on my DL, just never bought a motorized bike.

M
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #18865
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,305
Quote:
We already had this conversation so I won't call you a wuss-boy again in front of all these fine folks. I wouldn't do that to you.

You get that job?

M
Hey, Ive been called worse!

Uh, no never called me back. It required me using one of their vehicles and I have a performance award on my driving record.

My first Mtn. bike, a Schwinn Impact, had the Biopace chainrings. I didn't know any better. It did OK.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #18866
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:

Please don't lay me on my right side. My derailleur and hanger are easily damaged. From your bike.

Say, why is that bike on it's side as much as it's upright?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #18867
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Just got back from picking up my mtb at the LBS. Let's see, $136 for new front and rear Deore derailleurs + installation labor, on a bike I planned to sell in order to help fund a 29er. Looks like it will be staying in the garage as a loner for guests. Must ride this weekend.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #18868
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Please don't lay me on my right side. My derailleur and hanger are easily damaged. From your bike.

Say, why is that bike on it's side as much as it's upright?
It actually wasn't touching the derailleur as it was in a hollow. I checked before laying it down.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #18869
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Don't race cross! Its the exact opposite of taking yer time and not going silly.

M

Which is the reason I never plan on doing it
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #18870
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Which is the reason I never plan on doing it
...but its a WHOLE lot of fun too!

M