Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #18946
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Crazy fast bike messengers,much faster than cars. It's been around a while,but still interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34GtuSB6DQM
Wow! What skillz! I couldn't do it. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Quote :There. I've moved back to VA. Can you PLEASE change the weather?!

Gummee
The weather is gonna change tonight, from sunny and cold to snowy and mo cold. But that's probably not what you meant.
It's been absolutely miserable here. We've decided to go to Florida, next week. I've got 6 days of cycling planned. Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vasiliev
Lookout! The kids are taking over the bicycle thread.

Cool rides, BTW. Wished I could still ride a 20". My knees and back just don't like to be bent up like that anymore.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #18947
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Did you ever get down to Roanoke and ride the trails at Carvins Cove? I spent many a mile there on a Diamondback Apex with bio-pace crank. Nobody in our group had clipless pedals, Rock Shox, or any fancy equipment. Back then that stuff was crazy expensive. Good times.
Don't think I've ever ridden in Roanoke. So, nope. I managed to finagle a 2nd gen Manitou fork for my Rockhopper. Went from 27# to 30# in one easy step!

Still have that 1" x 135mm stem too!

I remember lusting after some Grafton Speed Trap pedals. Being on a college student budget, they were unobtanium. So I made do with a pair of road shoes and clips and straps. No, that wasn't a good idea.

IIRC the granny ring worked for me as biopace. The other two? Not so much.

M
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #18948
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So I scan CL every day for a fork for the new Quattro Assi, as well as a coupla pairs of Keo pedals...

Custom built does NOT mean 'I have this frame and I put different parts on it.' Custom means I talked to the dood building the frame and we decided on angles, lengths, etc. and I had the frame built FOR ME.

Mebbe 'upgraded parts' or 'I'm broke and got X, Y, and Z to work together for cheep' or ?? But its NOT custom.

Yeah, as rants go its weak, but hey! I'm not an angry dood.

M
Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #18949
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Custom built does NOT mean 'I have this frame and I put different parts on it.' Custom means I talked to the dood building the frame and we decided on angles, lengths, etc. and I had the frame built FOR ME.

Mebbe 'upgraded parts' or 'I'm broke and got X, Y, and Z to work together for cheep' or ?? But its NOT custom.
the one is a custom build, and the other is a custom frame ?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #18950
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Wow! What skillz! I couldn't do it. Sorry.
Agreed. I have an overdeveloped sense of self-preservation.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #18951
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Don't think I've ever ridden in Roanoke. So, nope. I managed to finagle a 2nd gen Manitou fork for my Rockhopper. Went from 27# to 30# in one easy step!

Still have that 1" x 135mm stem too!

I remember lusting after some Grafton Speed Trap pedals. Being on a college student budget, they were unobtanium. So I made do with a pair of road shoes and clips and straps. No, that wasn't a good idea.

IIRC the granny ring worked for me as biopace. The other two? Not so much.

M
I never made it to Brush Mountain or Pandapas Pond. Regarding Bio Pace, you didn't take Shimano's egg shaped sprocket propaganda seriously enough if it only worked for you in granny gear. You needed to BELIEVE in the concept in order for it to work. It gave me a wonky cadence which ruined my racing career. Only recently has that habit been corrected. That's my story and I'm sticking to it for when younger, faster guys who weren't around back in the day pass me. Feel free to use it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #18952
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
I never made it to Brush Mountain or Pandapas Pond. Regarding Bio Pace, you didn't take Shimano's egg shaped sprocket propaganda seriously enough if it only worked for you in granny gear. You needed to BELIEVE in the concept in order for it to work. It gave me a wonky cadence which ruined my racing career. Only recently has that habit been corrected. That's my story and I'm sticking to it for when younger, faster guys who weren't around back in the day pass me. Feel free to use it.
Some people loved that biopace crap,I'm not one of them. During one Bobby Juilich's final races he was using biopce looking stuff. This was 2006-7ish.I was kinda surprised I didn't think they made that stuff anymore.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #18953
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Did you ever get down to Roanoke and ride the trails at Carvins Cove? I spent many a mile there on a Diamondback Apex with bio-pace crank. Nobody in our group had clipless pedals, Rock Shox, or any fancy equipment. Back then that stuff was crazy expensive. Good times.
There seem to be a lot of Mtn bikers in the Roanoke area. There are a lot of threads for Carvins Cove rides...

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

If it wasn't so far I'd go check it out.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #18954
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Some people loved that biopace crap,I'm not one of them. During one Bobby Juilich's final races he was using biopce looking stuff. This was 2006-7ish.I was kinda surprised I didn't think they made that stuff anymore.
Its making a comeback. Look at the pics in the pro peloton...

The outer two rings I could feel the ring when it bio-paced. The inner just kinda seemed to work with my pedal stroke. I'd do a bio-pace inner and two round outers again.

Price's Mtn was always more fun than Brush Mtn. Fewer people too. Closed it off cause evidently the way in was on private property.

M
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #18955
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
I've got an '88 Giant Sedona with the Biopace rings. I don't remember what it feels like, it's been so long since I blew up the rear D. Anyone have a 7 speed Shimano Mtn rear D?
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #18956
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I've got an '88 Giant Sedona with the Biopace rings. I don't remember what it feels like, it's been so long since I blew up the rear D. Anyone have a 7 speed Shimano Mtn rear D?
No such thing as a 7 speed derailure. The number of clicks in the shifter dictate the number of cogs in the range. The derailure just rides along.

Probably, any shimano derailure will work.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #18957
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
The bike is here! It's purrrdy!

No pics yet because I'm turning it into a custom Specifically, I'm putting on road-style brakes for the drops (instead of the flats that the bike came with, and a Brooks saddle (with its corresponding leather bar tape) for kewlie looks.

I kinda hate clips, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of pedals to get for it - most likely SPDs, but I'm curious to try Eggbeaters or Candys. Any opinions?
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #18958
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
The outer two rings I could feel the ring when it bio-paced. The inner just kinda seemed to work with my pedal stroke. I'd do a bio-pace inner and two round outers again.
M
My first MTB had Biopace - but I had the opposite experience to you. When trying to climb very steep slopes in low ring the biopace aspect was very obvious. In the mid and high ring I never pushed the cadence/effort hard enough to feel the surge.

OTOH! I have a RotoR crank on my mt fixie, and really like it - now that I've adjusted it's surge to match my own. I actually did spend time with it in various settings, and could tell when I got it right. Anything above or below had that surge to it. In the proper orientation it feels like a turbine, very smooth. RotoR chain rings are also adjustable, but in discrete steps rather than continuous like the cranks.

I note that RotoR's orientation is opposite to Biopace - RotoR gets harder to pedal as you go into the downstroke, where Biopace gets easier (felt like swing&miss to me).

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #18959
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
When you're an 18 year old high school senior who is just getting into this new form of recreation called "mountain bikes" you don't have much choice, especially in the mountains of southwest VA circa 1990. My buddy and I had a couple of the first mtbs in town because he worked at a LBS. I agree with Gummee on how well it worked in the granny gear chain ring. Maybe it was the placebo effect, I dunno. Some day we'll all look back on 26" wheel mountain bikes and wonder how we rode them for so long. Ignorance is bliss. The hunt is on for a 29er.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #18960
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
There seem to be a lot of Mtn bikers in the Roanoke area. There are a lot of threads for Carvins Cove rides...

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

If it wasn't so far I'd go check it out.
If you ever find yourself in the Roanoke area, shoot me a PM and I give you my little brother's phone #. He'll be happy to show you the trails at Carvins or take you on a road ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: