Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #18961
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
If you ever find yourself in the Roanoke area, shoot me a PM and I give you my little brother's phone #. He'll be happy to show you the trails at Carvins or take you on a road ride.
Thanks but I'm sure he wouldn't want to be slowed down my my slow fat ass. I've been off the pedal bike and on the moto bike too long.
As soon as the weather breaks though...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #18962
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
No such thing as a 7 speed derailure. The number of clicks in the shifter dictate the number of cogs in the range. The derailure just rides along.

Probably, any shimano derailure will work.

Oh. I guess I meant an old one! I'll hit the LBS and see what they've got lying around.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #18963
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I've got an '88 Giant Sedona with the Biopace rings. I don't remember what it feels like, it's been so long since I blew up the rear D. Anyone have a 7 speed Shimano Mtn rear D?
agtually, I've got a nice Deore (RD-MT62) long cage here on my desk, date code says its from Nov. 1988.

works just fine on a 7-speed cuz thats what it was on last :)

here's the spec on it... http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponen...20d6d&Enum=108
says max 32T in back

whats it worth to ya? I need -some- motivation to get it into a box and in the mail in a timely fashion
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #18964
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
PM sent.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #18965
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
The bike is here! It's purrrdy!

No pics yet because I'm turning it into a custom Specifically, I'm putting on road-style brakes for the drops (instead of the flats that the bike came with, and a Brooks saddle (with its corresponding leather bar tape) for kewlie looks.

I kinda hate clips, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of pedals to get for it - most likely SPDs, but I'm curious to try Eggbeaters or Candys. Any opinions?
I've had SPD. I think they're too restrictive and notchy. Not the easiest to get into or out of. A lot of cyclo-tourists swear by them, but, most have not tried anything else. Just like steel is the only material to tour on, so don't look at anything else. Pfft! SPDs are inexpensive, compared to nearly every other clipless pedal, too.

I currently have Eggbeater 3 on my MTB and Candy 3 on my road bike (Actually, it's a cyclocross bike ridden on the road). The Eggbeaters are more open, but, roll over when trying to engage. I prefer the Candy, as they have a small platform that keeps the pedal from rolling while you clip in. I don't see where mud would be a problem with the Candy. So, the total open-ness of the Eggbeater isn't really necessary. Both have float, which is really beneficial for your joints. Entry/exit is super smooth. I wouldn't go any lower than the level "3", as they have inner and outer bearings and are stainless. The lesser models have a bushing on the inner and are made of plain steel. Some claim that the Crank Brothers stuff frequently breaks. However, materials, design and manufacturing methods have changed, over the years. Also, no one ever mentions how many times they bashed their pedals against rocks and roots, when talking about failures. Lastly, no need to go with the larger platform Acid or Mallet, unless you're doing some really big drops and need the foot support.

I'm looking forward to seeing the bike.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #18966
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've had SPD. I think they're too restrictive and notchy. Not the easiest to get into or out of. A lot of cyclo-tourists swear by them, but, most have not tried anything else. Just like steel is the only material to tour on, so don't look at anything else. Pfft! SPDs are inexpensive, compared to nearly every other clipless pedal, too.

I currently have Eggbeater 3 on my MTB and Candy 3 on my road bike (Actually, it's a cyclocross bike ridden on the road). The Eggbeaters are more open, but, roll over when trying to engage. I prefer the Candy, as they have a small platform that keeps the pedal from rolling while you clip in. I don't see where mud would be a problem with the Candy. So, the total open-ness of the Eggbeater isn't really necessary. Both have float, which is really beneficial for your joints. Entry/exit is super smooth. I wouldn't go any lower than the level "3", as they have inner and outer bearings and are stainless. The lesser models have a bushing on the inner and are made of plain steel. Some claim that the Crank Brothers stuff frequently breaks. However, materials, design and manufacturing methods have changed, over the years. Also, no one ever mentions how many times they bashed their pedals against rocks and roots, when talking about failures. Lastly, no need to go with the larger platform Acid or Mallet, unless you're doing some really big drops and need the foot support.

I'm looking forward to seeing the bike.
Thanks, man. That's pretty consistent with what I've heard. I have SPDs on my cyclocross bike (which really functions as a road bike), and they're... ok. Not too bad, but I don't love 'em. So I'm putting the Keos from the wrecked tri bike on it and using my old road shoes with it.

The Hawtness (Speed Concept) arrives in a few weeks, and it's getting Keos also. I'm tempted to try the Time iClic pedals, mostly because they have both lateral and angular float - not that Keos ever bothered me, but if I'm gonna do a 112-mile warmup for a marathon, well, it helps to keep those knees happy. But for now, Keos it is.

Meanwhile, the fixie's getting Candy 3s (thanks for the input!). I decided against eggbeaters simply because I'd read reports that the wings 'spread' a bit under load - which is fine on the downstroke, but not ideal if you're a bonehead who forgot he couldn't coast and gets a not-so-gentle reminder on the upstroke. I figure the platform's enough to distribute the load a bit more evenly. My MTB shoes, normally paired to the CX bike, should be fine with a cleat swap.

So it's a game of musical... um... pedals, here at lachulacasa. Y'all are getting pics as soon as the bikes get built up, of course!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #18967
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
When you're an 18 year old high school senior who is just getting into this new form of recreation called "mountain bikes" you don't have much choice, especially in the mountains of southwest VA circa 1990. My buddy and I had a couple of the first mtbs in town because he worked at a LBS. I agree with Gummee on how well it worked in the granny gear chain ring. Maybe it was the placebo effect, I dunno. Some day we'll all look back on 26" wheel mountain bikes and wonder how we rode them for so long. Ignorance is bliss. The hunt is on for a 29er.
If ya ride a 17" and want a rigid singlespeed, lemme know. I'll make ya a deal on one.

AFA the biopace stuff: I didn't have a choice. I saved, and saved, and saved up for that Rockhopper with the Mtn Exage 7sp stuff on it. FINALLY got the thing and proceeded to ride it all over. Didn't know any better, so I just went and did things that I'd over now.

Had serious lust for a Ritchey P-22 and a Bridgestone MB-0 (but I think I was always too heavy for the Zip, so I settled on the -1)

Oh those were the days... Young, stoopit, in some kinda shape... (looking down) Where'd THAT dood go?!

M
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #18968
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Thanks but I'm sure he wouldn't want to be slowed down my my slow fat ass. I've been off the pedal bike and on the moto bike too long.
As soon as the weather breaks though...
We already had this conversation so I won't call you a wuss-boy again in front of all these fine folks. I wouldn't do that to you.

You get that job?

M
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #18969
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
I'm tempted to try the Time iClic pedals, mostly because they have both lateral and angular float - not that Keos ever bothered me, but if I'm gonna do a 112-mile warmup for a marathon, well, it helps to keep those knees happy.
I had Time ATAC XS Carbon on my MTB, for a while. They work and feel like they're between CB Candy and Eggbeater. They easily roll while trying to engage and don't engage as easily as CB. Also, they don't like mud at all.

Quote:
So it's a game of musical... um... pedals, here at lachulacasa.
That's why I have the same brand on both bikes. I had Speedplays on the 'cross. But, I got tired of being restricted, off the bike, with road cleats. I'm really enjoying the versatility of recessed cleats and one pair of shoes for both. Although, I may end up buying another pair of shoes for the road, since I get shoes pretty nasty on the MTB.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #18970
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I had Time ATAC XS Carbon on my MTB, for a while. They work and feel like they're between CB Candy and Eggbeater. They easily roll while trying to engage and don't engage as easily as CB. Also, they don't like mud at all.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent spokes - mud isn't a problem on the tri-bike, and my shoes will be locked into the pedals on raceday anyway (the only time I REALLY care about minimizing entry delay).

Quote:
That's why I have the same brand on both bikes. I had Speedplays on the 'cross. But, I got tired of being restricted, off the bike, with road cleats. I'm really enjoying the versatility of recessed cleats and one pair of shoes for both. Although, I may end up buying another pair of shoes for the road, since I get shoes pretty nasty on the MTB.
Hmmm... interesting. The tri bike will be for heavy training/racing more than anything else. But the CX and fixie are destined for much more casual, just-riding duty, and they really could use the same kind of pedal/shoe with no problem. And recessed cleats are nice. Candys for the CX as well, then? Damn you!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #18971
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
I needed to get some bread rolls for dinner. So after work I rode 50kms out of my way to get some

I am loving the cyclocross bike 20kms on the dirt and 44kms on the road. 78 all up for the day. 450kms since I bought it a month ago.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #18972
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
That looks very fun. How does it feel to ride something with "road like" geometry (sorry, I'm not very well-versed in "non-extreme biking") off-road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #18973
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Vasiliev View Post
That looks very fun. How does it feel to ride something with "road like" geometry (sorry, I'm not very well-versed in "non-extreme biking") off-road?

Its interesting when you hit a sand patch at 40km/h and you spear off the track into a tree

Other than that its ok if you take your time and don't go too silly.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #18974
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Other than that its ok if you take your time and don't go too silly.
Don't race cross! Its the exact opposite of taking yer time and not going silly.

M
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #18975
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If ya ride a 17" and want a rigid singlespeed, lemme know. I'll make ya a deal on one.

AFA the biopace stuff: I didn't have a choice. I saved, and saved, and saved up for that Rockhopper with the Mtn Exage 7sp stuff on it. FINALLY got the thing and proceeded to ride it all over. Didn't know any better, so I just went and did things that I'd over now.

Had serious lust for a Ritchey P-22 and a Bridgestone MB-0 (but I think I was always too heavy for the Zip, so I settled on the -1)

Oh those were the days... Young, stoopit, in some kinda shape... (looking down) Where'd THAT dood go?!

M
Thanks for the offer on the 17" singlespeed, but I'd look like a bullfrog on a walnut riding a bike that small. Sounds like we had very similar experiences back in our younger days.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: