Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 317 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #19051
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Gaaaaa effing idiots! What part about BETTER THAN WHAT'S ON THERE don't you understand?! Now, not matching I can understand, but that wasn't one of the criteria mentioned when you ordered the wheels in the first place. You said replacement wheel. I got you something better but you STILL don't understand and want inferior stuff?

Okey dokey then. You want it, you'll get it. ...at a marked up price for the PITA factor!

#$%#$^&$%^%$ stupid people Gaaa! Its like arguing with a brick wall. Gets you nowhere and your head hurts afterwards!

M
Sorry for your frustration. Clients can be a pain.

No offense to you or your shop. Bike shops especially have a credibility problem. I've gotten hosed numerous times at bike shops, moto and velo, accepting what's in stock vs what I wanted. I will gladly trade my $$ for an expert opinion directed at the quality of my ride. It's what I expect. Often the expert opinion has been guided more by having enough cash on hand to pay the UPS COD bill that afternoon than my happiness.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go back to coaster brakes only. We rode a million miles on them.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #19052
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go back to coaster brakes only. We rode a million miles on them.
Everything else retro from cycling's dark ages (rigid forks, single speeds, taint buster saddles, etc.)have made a comeback, so why not? Most of us learned how to back it in, and lay'er down as children with coaster brakes. All the kids in the neighborhood had flat spotted rear tires. I want my banana seat, top tube shifter, and some apes.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #19053
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
OK, you pushed the button on the wayback machine. The day that we discovered that we could produce smoke with a bicycle tire on fresh pavement sealer. Cue the lights from above and chorus of angels. I can remember it with all the clarity of daylight sight. My parents and the cemetery custodians were not as impressed.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #19054
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
So the 'mechanic' for the local event center comes in with a taco-ed rear wheel a while back.

I need 2 new ones...

K. $30 ea

Wheels come in in their nifty QBP boxes. 'Mechanic' comes in, pays, takes em back.

Today he comes back aggravated. These aren't the right wheels.

Ummm k. They're coaster brakes wheels...

The rims are too thin.

Huh?!

Yeah, the rims are too thin. People are gonna get hurt riding these.

(me examining the wheel) Its a double wall rim. It'll be fine. Its actually a better rim than the one that was on there.

I don't care. They don't match. These tires are too big for these little rims.

Ummm these are mtn bike rims. They'll fit tires wider than those (pointing at tires on the old wheel in his hand)

Its not safe. Get me these wheels. I brought it in so you could get the number off it and order the right stuff.

(me thinking QBP only has one coaster brake wheel... and looking at J&B's catalog)

Can you get me the right wheel?

Maybe. They don't list the rim in this list.

I brought you the wheel. Write the number down and order it.

Ummmm... I'll try but they don't list the rim on these wheels.

See right here. Write this down and just order me the right wheel.

In my professional opinion this wheel is a better wheel than the one you have in your hand and will work better than the one that was on there.

I don't care. Order me the right wheel.

All righty then! I'll get one ordered.

Gaaaaa effing idiots! What part about BETTER THAN WHAT'S ON THERE don't you understand?! Now, not matching I can understand, but that wasn't one of the criteria mentioned when you ordered the wheels in the first place. You said replacement wheel. I got you something better but you STILL don't understand and want inferior stuff?

Okey dokey then. You want it, you'll get it. ...at a marked up price for the PITA factor!

#$%#$^&$%^%$ stupid people Gaaa! Its like arguing with a brick wall. Gets you nowhere and your head hurts afterwards!

M
Better make sure it's the right color.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #19055
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
So the 'mechanic' for the local event center comes in with a taco-ed rear wheel a while back.

I need 2 new ones...

K. $30 ea

Wheels come in in their nifty QBP boxes. 'Mechanic' comes in, pays, takes em back.

Today he comes back aggravated. These aren't the right wheels.

Ummm k. They're coaster brakes wheels...

The rims are too thin.

Huh?!

Yeah, the rims are too thin. People are gonna get hurt riding these.

(me examining the wheel) Its a double wall rim. It'll be fine. Its actually a better rim than the one that was on there.

I don't care. They don't match. These tires are too big for these little rims.

Ummm these are mtn bike rims. They'll fit tires wider than those (pointing at tires on the old wheel in his hand)

Its not safe. Get me these wheels. I brought it in so you could get the number off it and order the right stuff.

(me thinking QBP only has one coaster brake wheel... and looking at J&B's catalog)

Can you get me the right wheel?

Maybe. They don't list the rim in this list.

I brought you the wheel. Write the number down and order it.

Ummmm... I'll try but they don't list the rim on these wheels.

See right here. Write this down and just order me the right wheel.

In my professional opinion this wheel is a better wheel than the one you have in your hand and will work better than the one that was on there.

I don't care. Order me the right wheel.

All righty then! I'll get one ordered.

M
My wife's got good way of putting it:

It's like teaching a pig to sing,It doesn't do any good ,and it annoys the pig. Isn't it fun dealing with the public.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #19056
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,460
How dare you try to provide good customer service.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #19057
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Sorry for your frustration. Clients can be a pain.

No offense to you or your shop. Bike shops especially have a credibility problem. I've gotten hosed numerous times at bike shops, moto and velo, accepting what's in stock vs what I wanted. I will gladly trade my $$ for an expert opinion directed at the quality of my ride. It's what I expect. Often the expert opinion has been guided more by having enough cash on hand to pay the UPS COD bill that afternoon than my happiness.

I special ordered these for him. I didn't have anything remotely resembling a coaster brake rear wheel in stock. Now I gotta figger out if I can send these back.

@ Jocflier: I feel like I failed at this one. I couldn't get him to see past 'its too thin' to get to where he'd listen to me. If I'd gotten to where he'd listen to me, we wouldn't have had to reorder more wheels, he'd be busy at his shop, etc. I felt like sayin 'so what if it don't match. Its not like people are gonna refuse to ride it because the rims don't match!'

Did 5 tune ups today. That's all of em for the week. Rain today with snow (ugh) forecast = no more casual cyclists out riding.

M
Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #19058
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Many customers have a chip on their shoulders as soon as they walk in and are ready to claim they can get it cheaper elsewhere. The hard part about replacing some items on bikes is what might be on your bike, may not be available through a catalog unless it is from the bike manufacturer. (except Shimano/Campy/Sram) I know some of the bikes we used to sell at a place I worked part time would have rim/hub combos that were specially made for brand X and you could only get it from brand X dealer. I'm sure you won't find the rim/hub combo on the bike posted below anywhere but at a Trek dealer.

Quote:
I have a kick back 2 speed coaster brake hub laced to a 700c wheel. It confuses people when you cruise down the road at 23mph then turn the corner and spin up a hill and there isn't a shifter in sight.

I'm a big fan of the single speed life. I race a 21" Gary Fisher Rig single speed and do pretty good on it. I also race time trials and the occasional crit on the Trek T1 I posted a page back. I also do a couple Centuries a year on it.

I last summer I bought a 2nd District and promptly changed the rear cog and broke it in at a local TT riding in the Standard Class (No aero equipment)

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #19059
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,460
I was a service adviser at a local BMW motorcycle shop for a few years. Some people, no matter what you tell them, and no matter how many different ways you try and tell them something will not hear what you have to say.

No failure on your part.

Jocflier: I feel like I failed at this one. I couldn't get him to see past 'its too thin' to get to where he'd listen to me. If I'd gotten to where he'd listen to me, we wouldn't have had to reorder more wheels, he'd be busy at his shop, etc. I felt like sayin 'so what if it don't match. Its not like people are gonna refuse to ride it because the rims don't match!'
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #19060
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I have a kick back 2 speed coaster brake hub laced to a 700c wheel. It confuses people when you cruise down the road at 23mph then turn the corner and spin up a hill and there isn't a shifter in sight.

I'm a big fan of the single speed life. I race a 21" Gary Fisher Rig single speed and do pretty good on it. I also race time trials and the occasional crit on the Trek T1 I posted a page back. I also do a couple Centuries a year on it.

I last summer I bought a 2nd District and promptly changed the rear cog and broke it in at a local TT riding in the Standard Class (No aero equipment)
Impressive indeed. You race a Gary Fissure? If you're not built like the leading character from Stick Figure Theatre, that frame might live up to its name.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #19061
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

I don't know about impressive, I hear more "WTF" than anything. I'm a 47 year old Cat 2 with nothing to loose so I like to be different. In the crits I get out sprinted but it wouldn't matter anyhow, I've never won a field sprint even with gears so, as my hero Jens Voigt would do, I always go on the offensive and leave the pack fodders to argue over who's going to chase. If I do get lucky enough to pull one off, I wheelie or do a crossed up bunny hop over the line.

Gary Fissure, Off-road...

I'm a 6'-2" 200 lb Expert. I replaced the crank with a 180mm XT Octalink, Avid Juicies and a different saddle. I love the stock ACX Jones tires. have a Paragon too but it has spent more time on the trainer than in dirt. I think I've raced it twice.

I don't race full time off-road since I split my time up between dirt, pavement, motorized and pedal, but the bike has quite a few miles on it. The other reason is a bad back that kills me when pushing hard off-road but I had it fused in December so I am hoping to do well this year. It's been in 4 Mohican 100's, 2 100k and 2 100 milers but unfortunately I DNF'd both 100 milers. One I started sick and the other I flat out blew up! The 100k's went better with a win and a 2nd and both times 4, and 6th overall against the geared guys. I did well enough that 5 of my team mates switched to single speeds.

I have the feeling this is the last year for her, the chain stays were looking bad near the tire from frame flex, especially the non-drive side.

However, 2 of my friends have totally destroyed their Fisher frames, so, they switched to Cannondales, and broke them too. I think that has more to do with origin of manufacture on both parts

Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #19062
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I don't know about impressive, I hear more "WTF" than anything. I'm a 47 year old Cat 2 with nothing to loose so I like to be different.

However, 2 of my friends have totally destroyed their Fisher frames, so, they switched to Cannondales, and broke them too. I think that has more to do with origin of manufacture on both parts
I meant this. A 200lb Cat 2 is a badass. I read the Gary Fissure comment over at MTBR forum and thought it was . Be careful on that thing man.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #19063
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,878
Did 22 miles today, all with numb feet.

I just bought these running shoes and they definitely aren't for biking. My feet weren't happy.

OTOH, I did buy bike shoes today too. However, when I got home I realised my tools were 70 miles away at my friends house. Guess I try out the shoes once I get my tools back. (need em to put on the pedals...) Maybe Wednesday then.

And the bike ride didn't do anything to clear out my sinuses. Im still coughing although I no longer feel sick.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #19064
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
And the bike ride didn't do anything to clear out my sinuses. Im still coughing although I no longer feel sick.
Old rule of thumb that I'll repost:

If the cold's in yer chest. Don't ride till its gone 3 days.
If its in yer head, ride easy.

Taught to me by some old-timers when I first started riding. Holds true as much now as it did 20 years ago.

M
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #19065
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I meant this. A 200lb Cat 2 is a badass. I read the Gary Fissure comment over at MTBR forum and thought it was . Be careful on that thing man.

No worries, appreciate the comment, I just try my best. My "challenges" also spill over into the scrambles I did where up til a couple years ago when my weapon of choice was a fairly stock XR250 my final 2 years. WER did the suspension and I fixed the ergos to my size and had a total blast. I raced it in our Buckeye series in the thumper class and did extremely well with the stock pipe and motor. Of course, I'd gotten totally creamed at a GNCC where the competition is greater.

I'm also keeping a close eye on that frame too, the last thing I need a 4th catastrophic failure* of a bike part putting me back in the hospital again, I'm not bouncing back like i used too

*1 fork, 2 front wheels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: