User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 320 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #19066
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
So the dood with the wheels comes back in this AM.

They tell me I need to return these wheels.

Ummmm K. The new ones should be in this afternoon.

I brought the card, just put it back on there.

So I did.

Got a call a little later from the event center: how much are the replacement wheels gonna cost us?

$85 each

Why so much if the wheels we brought back were better?

Y'all returned a pair of perfectly good wheels, plus shipping on those wheels plus shipping on the new ones.

So the dood comes back and is aggravated at me: You ordered those wheels. We didn't give you permission to order the wheels you ordered.

Sure you did. You wanted replacment wheels. I got you replacement wheels.

I brought you the wheels. You weren't supposed to order the wheels you did...

The exchange got into 'the price is $85/wheel. You pay it or find em somewhere else' and 'we're not going to pay that because YOU screwed up and ordered the wrong wheels...'

So I fired him as a customer. We don't need your business have a good day.

I'm still worked up about it, but the eventual net result of not having to kow-tow to that particular customer is gonna be worth it.

M
Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #19067
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Finally, a 'moped' that really blurs the lines.

http://bikemoto.wordpress.com/
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #19068
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Sounds like something Ricky woulda dreamed up.

M
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #19069
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Sounds like something Ricky woulda dreamed up.

M
that's pretty fucking cool.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #19070
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Just got back from a 2:20 ride. Went out with one of the guys from the 'race team' I've joined. He hasn't been riding so instead of the 3hr ride that was planned, it got cut short.

Oh well. I'll add 30min to tomorrow's ride and call it good.

Mid-30s at the start, low 40s by the time we got home. ONE of these days I'll figger out my wardrobe again. I came back completely soaked with sweat. Again. I'm thinkin I need to get back to wearing a vest and maybe heavier stuff on my arms.

Oh, and 25c tires seem to be

M
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #19071
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
I agree, 25c

Gummee, Where in Va are you located and what team did you join?

I start my rides chilled (not cold) and make sure what ever you were can let some heat out. My jacket is windproof in the front and just spandex in the rear. Usually wear a long sleave undershirt with a jersey under that but when it gets below freezing I use a long sleave jersey. Nothing sucks more than freezing from your own sweat!

Heading off-road this evening, should be fun with 6 inches of white fluff

I agree, 25c

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #19072
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Follow up from this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
I'm looking for ideas about what to do with an old mountain bike. It's a 10 year Cannondale f600. The two biggest problems with it are a blown headshock and some frame damage. I hauled the bike to Moab tied to the inside of an aluminum trailer rail, I wrapped the frame tubes in towels but they moved during the trip and now the frame is scored a bit on the seat stay and on the head tube. I've also used it as a winter bike so there's some corrosion on the components. I don't really like riding it now because there's zero damping in the fork, and if I lock it out, there's still just enough travel to make it annoying/painful as the tiny bit of movement crashes into the stop.

Should I either
1) convert it to a conventional suspension fork
2) have the headshock rebuilt, or
3) write it off due to the frame damage and keep the usable parts?

I'm glad I asked about this in this thread!
Someone mentioned headset reducers, so I looked into those, and while I was browsing those, I ran across suspension corrected rigid forks and a plan formulated. Here's the result:

Reducer was about $38, fork @ $67, cheapo stem @ $20, and $50 bucks for shop to install headset, fork, and cut steerer.

I figure I'll sand the scoring on the seat stays down to eliminate any stress risers, shoot a little paint on to prevent corosion, and I'll have a pretty decent runabout bike to cruise around on with the wife and kids.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #19073
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
^^^
Sweet, I will be doing something similiar with my old CAAD3 frame as well. Gonna go with a suspension fork, and make it a bikepacking bike. I am glad you asked too.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #19074
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
I'm glad I asked about this in this thread!
Someone mentioned headset reducers, so I looked into those, and while I was browsing those, I ran across suspension corrected rigid forks and a plan formulated. Here's the result:

Reducer was about $38, fork @ $67, cheapo stem @ $20, and $50 bucks for shop to install headset, fork, and cut steerer.

I figure I'll sand the scoring on the seat stays down to eliminate any stress risers, shoot a little paint on to prevent corosion, and I'll have a pretty decent runabout bike to cruise around on with the wife and kids.

Nice, looks good.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #19075
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So the dood with the wheels comes back in this AM.

So I fired him as a customer. We don't need your business have a good day.

I'm still worked up about it, but the eventual net result of not having to kow-tow to that particular customer is gonna be worth it.

M
Ouch, that sucks. I have had to fire a few customers before. It is never pretty.

One time a girl comes in and says she is going on a trip and she needs to pack her bike. She tried to loosen her pedals and can't seem to get them. So we loosen them up for her and leave the pedals in the crank arms and send her on her way.

She comes back a few days later with a stripped out crank arm. She starts claiming that the mechanics stripped the threads when they loosened the pedals. I ask her is she road the bike after we loosened the pedals and she says yes. I proceed to tell her that the pedals were loose because that is what she asked for and that she should have tightened them before riding.

She stuck to her guns and kept claiming that the mechanic ruined the threads when they loosened the pedal. I told her that I would replace he cranks if she could do one thing; go to any other bike shop in town and tell the mechanics there what happened, if you could find a mechanic that agreed with you, and would put it in writing, I will buy you a crank arm.

Needless to say she wrote a bunch of bad stuff about the shop on the internet and never came back.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #19076
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,460
Learned a new rule on Monday.

Never ride with your tights under your riding bibs. Had go out and buy some 4 pl super soft tp... Didn't really notice it until i took a shower. Man did that sting Good 35 though.

joc
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #19077
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Knocked out 10 miles of singletrack in 53 minutes tonight. For the first time, I was able to hammer the entire hillclimb section in the middle chain ring. Just before the climb, I came up on a guy riding a single speed with basketball calfs. As soon as the trail got steep, he dropped me like a bad habit.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #19078
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Learned a new rule on Monday.

Never ride with your tights under your riding bibs.
Not tights but funny...

A few years back I was riding a MTB tandem with my step daughter and pulling a trailer with my grand daughter in it trying to keep up with a roadie club on a 15 mile jaunt.

We were following a noob to cycling that just happened to take a shine to us about 3 weeks prior who had panties under her shorts and were cutting into her flesh leaving a crease on each butt cheek. As we were riding I told Jessica on the back something like "never wear panties under your bike shorts, it will rub you raw and it makes a girls butt look bad with panty lines" as I pointed to my new buddy.

After the ride Jessica went right up to her and told her word for word what I said. My blonde friend jokingly yelled at me and started laughing. The next weekend she came over and said "Hey Michael" and as she did, she spun around, bent over grabbing both ankles, looked between her legs and yelled "Look, no panty lines"! I about rolled off the tailgate of the truck laughing my butt off!!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #19079
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Knocked out 10 miles of singletrack in 53 minutes tonight.

You had more fun than us, it was cold and 6" of snow. We left at 5:30 and 2 hours later we had only covered 10 miles of flat unplowed rail trails and some abandoned rail beds that thankfully, ATV's had turned into 2 packed ruts.

Was running a 32/21 gear on the 29r and was flat busted when we got home. Spring can't come fast enough up here

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #19080
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I agree, 25c

Gummee, Where in Va are you located and what team did you join?

I start my rides chilled (not cold) and make sure what ever you were can let some heat out. My jacket is windproof in the front and just spandex in the rear. Usually wear a long sleave undershirt with a jersey under that but when it gets below freezing I use a long sleave jersey. Nothing sucks more than freezing from your own sweat!

Heading off-road this evening, should be fun with 6 inches of white fluff

I agree, 25c
NoVA and Equipe somethingoranther. One of the guys that 'works' in the shop lives in France. Set up the team so he and his buddies can come over here and race USCF stuff. (or whatever they're called these days) So I figgered I'd join em and not hafta worry about intra-area 'political issues' on teams, etc.

Caught a case of the eff-its this AM. Skipped my ride. Still playing UW Hockey tonite, so the day's not a waste.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: