Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #19081
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
I'm glad I asked about this in this thread!
Someone mentioned headset reducers, so I looked into those, and while I was browsing those, I ran across suspension corrected rigid forks and a plan formulated. Here's the result:

Reducer was about $38, fork @ $67, cheapo stem @ $20, and $50 bucks for shop to install headset, fork, and cut steerer.

I figure I'll sand the scoring on the seat stays down to eliminate any stress risers, shoot a little paint on to prevent corosion, and I'll have a pretty decent runabout bike to cruise around on with the wife and kids.
If you want, find some 29er wheels and stick those on there with some 28c tires on em. Make a sorta-kinda OK 'road' bike too.

Home-made Bad Boy

M
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #19082
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,025
I believe I have one of those suspension corrected disc only 700c rigid forks in my garage if anyone is interested in getting one. I believe it only had 2 or 3 rides on it before I sold the bike with the original fork on it.

Comes in any color you want as long as it is black

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #19083
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
You had more fun than us, it was cold and 6" of snow. We left at 5:30 and 2 hours later we had only covered 10 miles of flat unplowed rail trails and some abandoned rail beds that thankfully, ATV's had turned into 2 packed ruts.

Was running a 32/21 gear on the 29r and was flat busted when we got home. Spring can't come fast enough up here
Not to rub your nose in it, but daytime temps here haven't dropped below 60 for over a week. When its less than 40F, I wimp out and attend synchronized gerbil wheel, ahem, spin class.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #19084
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If you want, find some 29er wheels and stick those on there with some 28c tires on em. Make a sorta-kinda OK 'road' bike too.

Home-made Bad Boy

M
A few years ago, I ran some Conti sport contacts, 26x1.5 I think, on the street, it was pretty fun. I'm actually really impressed with the Conti Traffics that are on now. They have a really tight tread pattern and they roll really smooth. I think they're better for gravel trails and roads than the sport contacts were, but they're not really suited for anything other than hardpack offroad.

I've got a smaller set of cage pedals that I'm going to put on, those huge platform pedals look kind of out place on it, right now.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #19085
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Not to rub your nose in it, but daytime temps here haven't dropped below 60 for over a week. When its less than 40F, I wimp out and attend synchronized gerbil wheel, ahem, spin class.
Rub Rub Rub...

Tomorrows weather report...

Snowfall amounts by Friday afternoon of 6 to 10 inches will be
possible. A few locations may see amounts approaching a foot.
Winds will also increase by Friday morning to at least 15 to 25
mph with gusts to 35 mph. This will cause blowing and drifting of
the snowfall.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #19086
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Fack, it's going to be -30c here tomorrow without the wind.

Spring cannot arrive too soon.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #19087
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Yes, tomorrow's weather looks tough for riding here too...

"Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Highs 55 to 60. Light winds becoming west 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of measurable precipitation 20 percent."

I might need long sleeves and some sorta windbreaker. Perhaps even *gasp* something more than just bike shorts.

Agreed, spring can not arrive fast enough.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #19088
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Okay I confess I have being addicted to mountain bikes for a long long time, in fact since the 70' when they start to show up on magazines (skateboard mags in my case) but I only have the chance to get one in 1983 then i was living in Colombia making it a little hard to get

In any case many years when by, until my dream of having a bike shop became a reality, but not just any shop but a "Cathedral" for bikes since I consider them works of art.

Here are some cheesy pictures since I don't have any good ones.

A few days before we open, showing the "Bike trees"

One the right a frame jig I made so I can produce my own concept frames.

The counter made of stain blue concrete with sprockets inlay on it as "Stars"

Kind of full of bikes

I show you more stuff later I promise
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #19089
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Yay Ricky's back!

M
Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #19090
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Too cool not to share:

http://www.evandalevillagefair.com/photos.html

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #19091
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
That's nuts! My neighbor a couple of doors down makes beautiful Penny Farthing replicas for about 4 grand a pop.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #19092
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Not tights but funny...

A few years back I was riding a MTB tandem with my step daughter and pulling a trailer with my grand daughter in it trying to keep up with a roadie club on a 15 mile jaunt.

We were following a noob to cycling that just happened to take a shine to us about 3 weeks prior who had panties under her shorts and were cutting into her flesh leaving a crease on each butt cheek. As we were riding I told Jessica on the back something like "never wear panties under your bike shorts, it will rub you raw and it makes a girls butt look bad with panty lines" as I pointed to my new buddy.

After the ride Jessica went right up to her and told her word for word what I said. My blonde friend jokingly yelled at me and started laughing. The next weekend she came over and said "Hey Michael" and as she did, she spun around, bent over grabbing both ankles, looked between her legs and yelled "Look, no panty lines"! I about rolled off the tailgate of the truck laughing my butt off!!
You gotta love a woman with a good sense of humour. Its always easy to find the noobs in the pack as they all seem to make that mistake.
Speaking of women showing there butts we were out on a club ride one evening and one of the squirrels had a big wobble causing tires to cross and a bunch went down,after we gathered ourselves up one of the girls was voluntarily opening up the back of her shorts to show me the road rash on her butt. So I didnt decline to inspect the abraision on her nice little bum. Needless to say the wife was monitoring the situation and was not as impressed with her bum as I was.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #19093
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I can see a new trend in mountain biking brewing: Large diameter front wheel rolls over obstacles and provides suspension while small rear wheel gives you that "pop" you need to jump over obstacles. All those 29er/69er/650b zealots are going to wish they waited for the NEWEST and COOLEST fad!

Ryan
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #19094
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi03 View Post
I can see a new trend in mountain biking brewing: Large diameter front wheel rolls over obstacles and provides suspension while small rear wheel gives you that "pop" you need to jump over obstacles. All those 29er/69er/650b zealots are going to wish they waited for the NEWEST and COOLEST fad!

Ryan
I know yer being sarcastic, but does anyone but me remember C-dale's Beast of the East? Buddy of mine had one.

26" ft wheel 24" rear wheel

...and I'm noticing vitually no BB drop either!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #19095
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I know yer being sarcastic, but does anyone but me remember C-dale's Beast of the East? Buddy of mine had one.

26" ft wheel 24" rear wheel

...and I'm noticing vitually no BB drop either!
I logged a lot of miles on one of those. I rode it as my primary bike for almost 10 years. I have not ridden it in over 5 years. The other day I took it down to the shop and tuned it up and rode it around, I could not see my self ever riding it again. So I gave it away on CL hoping that it will get used.

trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: