User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 322 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #19156
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
So did I tell y'all that I screwed up my buddy's Alpha Q fork? If I didn't, I did. Effed it up real good. As in not 'rideable or fixable.' So I'm perusing CL in the DC area and run across this Airborne Ti bike with...

...and Alpha Q fork on it!

Guess who's gonna go to DC tomorrow and grab a frame and fork?

Plan is to sell off the frame and recoup some of the $$. Then I catch myself thinking 'hmmmm I haven't had a Ti bike in a while now...' and 'I can pull the 105 off the Allez...' As well as 'I'll have one of each: steel, AL, Ti, and carbon if I keep the Airborne...'

So I'll prolly be up to 7 bikes/frames here shortly.

M
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #19157
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,499
I've got an AlphaQ fork in my basement.. straight blade legs, 45mm rake, 1 1/8 x 255mm carbon steertube. $50 plus ship.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #19158
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I may take ya up on that later. Right now I need a 1" t-less Alpha Q

M
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #19159
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
What's your favorite commuter tire? Road bike, 26"
Mtb? I used to use Tioga city slickers. I found them to be pretty good.
Continental makes some nice tour/commute tires that have a bit more tread
if you ride gravel or a bit of dirt on your commute.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #19160
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
In the past I've used Serfas Drifters with good results. They're cheap and seemed to wear pretty well, also puncture-resistant and have decent grip on dirt and gravel. The inverted tread design makes a weird suction cup sound in the wet, like a octopus trying to climb a glass wall.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #19161
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
road bike's aren't usually 26". I assume you mean a hybrid bike of some sort?

my favorite 26" fast street tire for a light bike is the Ritchie Tom Slick, but I dunno if those are still available. I know the 38x700c ones aren't

for a more cruiser-like ride, I rather like the Geax Evolution 26x1.9" I have on my cruiserish bike. fast, low rolling resistance, quiet ride.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #19162
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Any interest here in an 89 Merlin mtn bike?

Suntour Rollercam on the back. Mix of older XT and XTR

I'm gonna take pics an stick it on ebay here soon.

M
Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #19163
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Oh man I bet the "Stiffies" made the fork bulletproof, but what else did you bend...?
BMX - Snapped a bar at the clamp, one at the cross bar, many cranks and bottom brackets, seat rails and rear wheels and the fork tube between the headset and the stem and one at the lower bearing (prompting stiffie).

The worse - I had one fork snap off about a 1/2" above the lower bearing. I didn't know it snapped until the canaries stopped flying around my head. I was told the fork snapped on take off from the g-forces, fell apart in the air and when I nosed over to get the back side of the jump, the front wheel/fork weren't attached and I crashed head first into the take off of another set of doubles (rhythm section). Cracked a Shoei Full faced moto helmet at the side of the chin guard. My face never hit the ground but I had a black and blue smiley from ear to ear under my chin, bruised kindeys, knuckles and shoulders.

MTB - Bent many bars at the stem, 2 forks (1 rigid, 1 suspension) many cranks and bottom backets, seat rails, chain rings, wheels.

The Worse - front wheel collapsed at the joint sending me head first into the other side of the cavity I was dropping into. Luckily I landed crooked and my torso took the brunt.

Road - Cranks and bottom brackets - No bad crashes except road rash and getting t-boned by a 40 mph team mate that wasn't paying attention in an intersection at the bottom of a big hill.

Basically the crank arms twist spiral along the arms and the bottom brackets spiral also from doing things I shouldn't.

Quote:
So why did you take the frame to the welder, I was under the impression that Trek was pretty good about this kinds of failures.
They are, they've warranted many pieces and frames for me but, I bought it used and the Trek rep unfortunately knew it. looking to pick up an XO2 later this year if the frame isn't good enough. It was one of the original made in the USA 1" threaded XOs from around 1999. I loved that bike!!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #19164
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Any interest here in an 89 Merlin mtn bike?

Suntour Rollercam on the back. Mix of older XT and XTR

I'm gonna take pics an stick it on ebay here soon.

M
Nope, I have to many, But man that sounds interesting, If you are willing to send it to Europe you can make a pretty penny (well you use to at least)
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #19165
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
BMX - Snapped a bar at the clamp, one at the cross bar, many cranks and bottom brackets, seat rails and rear wheels and the fork tube between the headset and the stem and one at the lower bearing (prompting stiffie).

The worse - I had one fork snap off about a 1/2" above the lower bearing. I didn't know it snapped until the canaries stopped flying around my head. I was told the fork snapped on take off from the g-forces, fell apart in the air and when I nosed over to get the back side of the jump, the front wheel/fork weren't attached and I crashed head first into the take off of another set of doubles (rhythm section). Cracked a Shoei Full faced moto helmet at the side of the chin guard. My face never hit the ground but I had a black and blue smiley from ear to ear under my chin, bruised kindeys, knuckles and shoulders.

MTB - Bent many bars at the stem, 2 forks (1 rigid, 1 suspension) many cranks and bottom backets, seat rails, chain rings, wheels.

The Worse - front wheel collapsed at the joint sending me head first into the other side of the cavity I was dropping into. Luckily I landed crooked and my torso took the brunt.

Road - Cranks and bottom brackets - No bad crashes except road rash and getting t-boned by a 40 mph team mate that wasn't paying attention in an intersection at the bottom of a big hill.

Basically the crank arms twist spiral along the arms and the bottom brackets spiral also from doing things I shouldn't.

Really I have not break that many parts, Maybe because I learn to ride like a "Feather" because living in Colombia parts where very difficult to get for a long time and if I broke something will take a long time to find spares, Actually I take that back I did crack my lawill fork (more from abuse than anything else) and a softride suspension stem, that got to hurt a lot since I land with my mouth on the handlebars.

Strange too that I did not break that many parts (I only purchase really high end stuff to avoid problems) Since at one time I was really "quick" (race pro and expert class for about 6 years), aggressive and pedal a lot (move around on a bicycle and skateboards for many years) plus I was pretty heavy then at about 200pounds (95kilos) and today I'm about 240 and mega chubby.

Hell I even race the Mammoth lake "Kamikaze" two times (1995 & 1996) on a fully rigid Klein attitude complete with Mission control handlebars and even then nothing happen, Oh I did bend my paragon machine works 62tooth chainring when I hit a rock going sideways.

On a road bike a tubular came un-done from the rim (I did not know how to brake on road bikes on step decents and I over heated) and got all bunch up into the fork and wheel but I manage to stop in time and also two front tubes explode on my tandem but again we got lucky and nothing happen besides destroying the rim and tire (reason why I have "Double brakes" on my tandems now)

I do have fear of the front quick release breaking apart or coming off, so I try to use 20mm forks on the bikes as much as possible, but that is about it..
Quote:

They are, they've warranted many pieces and frames for me but, I bought it used and the Trek rep unfortunately knew it. looking to pick up an XO2 later this year if the frame isn't good enough. It was one of the original made in the USA 1" threaded XOs from around 1999. I loved that bike!!
"Many Pieces"... Dude what do you do to them....

In the pass I work on shops that sold Trek and fishers and the reps where always pretty good with this kind of claims, Even if a lot of stuff did fail, Actually more than anything was defective from new.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #19166
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,460
Reached a milestone today

On March 20th of last year I started riding a road bike for the first time in over 20 years. My first ride took 20.3 miles and like to killed me. Next day only 12.0.

But being 60 something lbs overweight and pushing past 50, something needed to be done. Kept reading "Heft on Wheels" by Mike Magnuson at least 6 times when it didn't look like I could keep going. Got some great advise and some great help on this site from some of you. (you know who you are).

I just kept making circles. I kept a log of date and mileage on a excel file.

Today I went out and rode 31.8 miles. This has given me 2,017.9 miles for the year. I rode 64 times this last year with a average time each time out of 31.52 miles. Lost a little over 30 lbs with some more to go. I know that may not be a lot to some of you hammerheads, but it means the world to me.

I want to think you all for keeping this thread alive. I may not know what you are always talking about, but that not the point to me.

Thanks again

Joc P.S. Pierce, my CF bike has yet to blow up under me.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #19167
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
On March 20th of last year I started riding a road bike for the first time in over 20 years. My first ride took 20.3 miles and like to killed me. Next day only 12.0.

But being 60 something lbs overweight and pushing past 50, something needed to be done. Kept reading "Heft on Wheels" by Mike Magnuson at least 6 times when it didn't look like I could keep going. Got some great advise and some great help on this site from some of you. (you know who you are).

Today I went out and rode 31.8 miles. This has given me 2,017.9 miles for the year. I rode 64 times this last year with a average time each time out of 31.52 miles. Lost a little over 30 lbs with some more to go. I know that may not be a lot to some of you hammerheads, but it means the world to me.

I want to think you all for keeping this thread alive. I may not know what you are always talking about, but that not the point to me.

Thanks again

Bravo, sir! Nicely done!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #19168
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:

Thanks again

Good for you mister FancyPants, actually your posting is very inspirational, it took me forever to get use to the fact I was Not Fast and/or strong anymore and I'm sure that "Re-entry" progress is pretty hard for everybody

Keep us posted on the process and again thanks for sharing
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #19169
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Bicycle building as a "Art Form" at the "Hand made Bicycle show"
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #19170
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
On March 20th of last year I started riding a road bike for the first time in over 20 years. My first ride took 20.3 miles and like to killed me. Next day only 12.0
Keep it up, the more you work and the more you lose, the better your power to weight ratio will be and you'll feel so good.

Quote:
"Many Pieces"... Dude what do you do to them....
HAHA! I'm no fly weight, always been over 180 and usually at 200. I raced as an expert but now it is Vet Open for any expert over 35 unless you race a single speed then you have to race the young guys because there aren't enough old guys running one gear. You also have to remember I've been doing the mtb thing since the very 1st production bikes came out in the early 80's. Mine was a Puch with welded bars to a triangle welded to the quill. Back then there was no XT or XTR and things weren't built well enough to handle a guy who raced his mtb like it was a KTM250. Those same bikes also spent time doing trials, dual slalom and cruiser class at the BMX track.

Seems like in the past 5 or 6 years thing have come a long way as far as reliability goes for me, especially since the quality wheel builders started to weld the seams of their rims!

There is a fellow Columbian transplanted hear to Ohio that I get to moto ride with on occasion, his user name is Miguez, super nice guy, lots of desire to race ralleys.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: